Brookdale Employee Reviews

Loved the residents / lack of management support in training in areas of corporate compliance.
Nutritional Services Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 15, 2018
Very hectic days, staff meetings, resident council, financial reports, daily staff meetings, dining room supervision & resident interaction, staff training, purchasing oversight, equipment maintenance, filling in as sales support, reviewing staff quality. I learned not to work for Brookdale again. Promised work related/reporting, then left one to fend for one's self at the risk of management ire. management promised residents things they knew they would not provide leaving manager to deal with resident disappointment. Staffing was unstable due to poor relationships with management.
Pros
Can't think of any other than interaction with residents.
Cons
Lack of support and follow through.
A difficult place to work
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 14, 2018
I loved working with the staff and the patients directly. New management came in and changed too much. There was a lot of back stabbing and drama on a daily basis.
I love My Job
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 13, 2018
I loved working for Brookdale. I wish the company was not bought out, otherwise, I would still work here. Great residents and coworkers. I just wish the pay was better
Good environment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJuly 13, 2018
People are understanding and work as one. Encouraged to work as a team. Staff and residents are good and willing to work with what you give. okay place
Pros
staff
Cons
break
This profession is a daily challenge that has its reward in making a difference in a person life. Everyday is teachable and learning is great.
Medication Technician (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJuly 13, 2018
Rewarding meeting new residents and family. Mostly assisting the residents in their home being an encouraging part of their life. Productive and fun!!
Pros
The hugs and smiles received from some of the residents just makes my day!!
Cons
Not enough staff with the high level some residents require, Clocking out for break while working, No weekends off, The pay doesn't pay well. No cost of living or pay as other branches
poor work and home balance
clinical (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 12, 2018
Brookdale/Nurse on Call home health manages by threats and bullying. all employees, both office and clinical staff are expected to work excessive hours without pay. all preference is given to per diem clinicians so if you want a full time position-beware
Pros
good benefits
Cons
overworked, interferes with home life and personal time
warm and caring
COTA (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNJuly 11, 2018
Loved the staff at Brookdale. Management was always kind and understanding and took great care to ensure the needs of staff and clientele were met. Hated to leave when had to relocate out of state.
Finally renovated
Emeritus Senior Living (Former Employee) –  Ocoee, FL 34761July 11, 2018
Located on a busy road and lots of traffic and noise.
Renovated and looks much better now but high staff turnover.

No LPN/RN on site overnight with standard AL license
wonderful place to take your loved one.
Resident Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXJuly 10, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was the residents ,No matter how stressful it was at times the residents made it all worth while. I enjoyed playing Bingo with the residents.
Pros
family atmoshere
Cons
the pay
Emotional, Life Experinece
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Seminole, FLJuly 10, 2018
Walk in and prepare your station, make sure its clean. Learned life story's from residents. Management was to the books. Hardest part was coming in to find a resident you worked with for 3 months passed. Hearing the story's from the residents.
hard work/ invest in comfortable shoes
RCA/Med Tech (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 8, 2018
pay is not all great, but will gain skills and knowledge that will further your career in this type of industry. The residents are what kept me to stay there longer. It's my family away from my family. That's what made me stay cause of the compassion and respect I have for the elderly. Be able to receive calls from your manager to come in and work on your day off. Always short staffed made it difficult to call off or take time off. Some associates would start and train and decided it's not for them or they found better pay else where. Just keep in mind if you have small children better have a good nanny or daycare. Management can succeed more if they would recognize good, hard working employees instead of favoring the ones who are not as what you think they are. You can get a lot more things done right if they would just work and not have too many happy hour drinks.
Pros
BBQ in summertime
Cons
shortbreaks
walking on eggshells
Medication Technician (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYJuly 8, 2018
i wouldn't work here if I were you. this place is completely drama-filled and VERY poor management.... or lack there of. the vibe there is always bad, and everyone is typically always in awful moods.
No, just no
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clearlake, CAJuly 8, 2018
This particular Brookdale is run by inept manager. The workload is ridiculous for the amount of pay. Residents are moved in that have no business being there. They are too physically incopasitated to be there. But being the for profit organization Brookdale is they will move them in and expect staff to properly care for them. They are chronically understaffed. Employees are not trained properly and they don't last. There aren't enough staff when fully staffed to properly care fore residents.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Love working with Elderly
Personalized Living Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 7, 2018
Love the residents but pay is NOT enough for all you have to deal with. Abrupt schedule changes. Rude employees in different areas. Some residents are mean, but chalk it up to disability/diagnosis.
Wages are not enough to live on (hourly) unless you are getting benefits from the government.
Residents complain about all the changes and I’ve seen several move out lately.
Pros
Working with Seniors.
Cons
No social life/ family life. Work every SINGLE Weekend and sometimes12-13 hours day on weekend.
Co Workers Passionate About Helping Seniors
PROGRAMS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  North Austin, TXJuly 6, 2018
There was a genuine passion shared by the management team to help seniors achieve the best quality of life possible. My only concern was that hourly workers were not compensated better.
Can't keep staffed, don't pay enough
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJuly 5, 2018
Trained in by someone who had only been working for them for a month. Training someone by myself after three nights training. Even full time you can't make enough to get by. Management flips out if you get overtime (which they are already yelling at me about though I won't have overtime until the end of the week but though they threaten they still are making me work and the extra time was for training).
Ehh
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 5, 2018
I enjoyed Brookdale until management changed and false accusations came about. When it came to scheduling needs, a lot of requests made multiple times were denied without reason.
Benefits
Cons
Bad management
Wonderful company to work for .
certified nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 5, 2018
Great company to work for...enjoyed. work environment was great..management was good
Residents were happy and participating.
Benefits we're great. Also hours were good to work.
Great Place to work
Resident Care Associate/Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIJuly 5, 2018
Wonderful co-workers and residents. very friendly place to work. Management was okay, but easy to get along with. Overtime was sometimes allowed if you wanted it
okay
Resident Associate (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIJuly 5, 2018
Don't like it. The work was easy. It was the coworkers and management that were the issue.I just prefer not to deal with that nonsense. No matter how much i like the work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brookdale. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7

2.3Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight