Brookdale Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 3,046 reviews matching the search See all 3,049 reviews
Different management skills at either facilities.
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 17, 2018
Worked for two separate Brookdales for a duration of almost three years. Spokane Brookdale was very laid back and had management and coworkers that were enjoyable to be around. Bellingham Brookdale was under very bad management and main focus generally was targeted towards revenue and not staff or residents.
Cons
Poor Management
Excellent care to residents and family.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCAugust 16, 2018
Great place to work with no experience. Excellent on the job training very family-oriented facility with good loving people. The hardest part of job was leaving.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Excellent place to work
Resident Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Brookdale AttleboroAugust 15, 2018
Love the management team. They help out anywhere they are needed kitchen, housekeeping, transportation. I have always felt supported by management team. Lots of opportunity's to advance, would highly recommend this community if you are passionate about working for senior citizens.
great place to work and very good care provided for the residents.
Wellness Director (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXAugust 14, 2018
Every day was an adventure. The residents and families were very involved with their care and enjoyed the community. I loved visiting with the residents daily to make sure they were happy and healthy. I enjoyed watching them participate in the activities and parties. I enjoyed listening to the life histories of the residents. The hardest part of the job was finding time to complete all the duties required to manage the community. The 8 hr. day was not long enough to complete all the tasks I wanted to complete.
Pros
Flexible schedules.
Cons
Expensive health care for the staff.
Welcoming job with no pay.
Server (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLAugust 14, 2018
I’ve been serving here for about 4 months and we’ve lost our executive chef, dining room manager, and many others all within this time frame. We’re extremely short staffed, employees call out constantly, and the pay sucks; definitely not enough to live off of. This would be a great high school job, however the only problem is they won’t hire anyone under 18. With getting paid minimum wage, no one over 18 will want this job because it cannot support them.
Pros
Free food, long breaks, nice employees
Cons
No pay, stressful, unreliable, broken promises
Company will turn around
Sr. Director, Global Procure to Pay Process Owner (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNAugust 14, 2018
Challenging environment in a financially impaired company. New CEO is on track to turn things around. Culture is very personality centric with typical unwillingness to change among some leaders.
Was able to enjoy some senior resident activities.
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  West Melbourne, FLAugust 14, 2018
Oversee all clerical duties within office on a daily basis. Learned to interact with the senior community in a assisted living environment. It was a friendly atmosphere and enjoyed a compatible working relationship with the staff.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Flexible hours
Productive work place
Resident assistant (Former Employee) –  Reidsville, NCAugust 14, 2018
Great company and good people to work with! Very family orianted within the company and the residents families. A typical work day consisted of caring for the residents and making sure all needs were met.
High work load and horrible management
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, KYAugust 13, 2018
I would not recommend this company to anyone. Managment doesn't care and will degrade you and talk down to you.

They worry about making money rather than the well being of the residents.

The best part was working with my residents, and co workers.

The management was beyond horrible, probably the worst I have ever experienced.

The workload was heavy and we were always short staffed. Sometimes I would work a whole floor by my self.

There is favoritism, and hardly any room for growth.

Pay could be better.
Benefits
Cons
Heavy work load. Management that doesn't care. Being talked down to.
Unsupported by management
Resident Program Director (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIAugust 13, 2018
The company expected a lot from their activity director tod do on their own without proper support staff to assist with outings, and special events. It left the activity director to a number of things that could go wrong with multiple dementia residents out with one staff member in public. Up to 14 could go out that is what the bus could accommodate.
Special events were mandatory but there was NEVER any support from ANY other directors during events other than the head chef!
Pros
The residents loved having someone around just for them
Cons
Poor management and suppory
Great Co Workers
COMMUNITY RELATIONS DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  ArizonaAugust 12, 2018
Management is either great or lacking. So much of your success or failure is dependent on management's personal feeling regarding associate. Creates an environment of trying to be the managers favorite and employee distrust.
Pros
Co-workers
Challenging and productive
Dining Services Director (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 12, 2018
a typical day for me is making sure we have the thing that was needed for that meal or snack for residents. I learned the new menu system, I learned new ways of preparing menu items, some of the managers were very helpful,
For Profit Senior Living
Nurse Manager Memory Care (Former Employee) –  Brockport, NYAugust 11, 2018
Poor work life balance, expected to be on call 24/7 with little to no flexibility to adjust hours when working off hours. Poor upper management support. Front line employees earn minimum wage which does not foster reliability or retention of quality caregivers.
Pros
Time off and 401k match, working with the elderly is awesome!
Cons
work life balance, support, quality employees
Great place to work. Company is making great strides to continually improve.
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNAugust 9, 2018
In my first year at Brookdale I have seen this company make huge strides in improvement for both employees and residents. This is definitely someplace I will be for the long term. Like any job there are good days and bad, but the good definitely outweighs the bad. Plus the fact that I know what I do on a day to day basis has a positive impact on the life quality of our residents make this very satisfying.
Pros
Very positive attitude and great people work here.
Cons
Insurance could be better. No other cons.
Good place to work, could change some to make it better.
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 8, 2018
So many changes since they acquired the Emeritus Communities. Not like the Brookdale of old, they kind of bit off more than they can chew after acquiring the Emeritus Communities.
Pros
Good benefits and promote within.
Cons
Communication not good and staff loyalty is horrid.
Horrible place to work
Med tech (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, FLAugust 7, 2018
The staff is extremely underpaid .managers are horrible and have favorites....they constantly mess with your paycheck ...not to mention patient care is bad dude to there never being enough staff ...the staff they do have are extremely rude to family
Pros
this place was some what okay
Resident Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 7, 2018
lack of communication between management and staff. some would work hard, while others slacked off. med techs are awesome and so are the devoted caregivers. could be amazing, just depends on your aspect on work
I love my work place
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Dartmouth, MAAugust 7, 2018
BrookDale is a great company to work for I only been there for six months and I love the company positive attitude and great people. Love them so much
horrible management
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 6, 2018
never have hours, pay raise are horrible. They hire new people all the time and cut your hours. they never answer the on call phone but they get upset when you don't answer your phone, they give hours to there friends and give you what left over.
Pros
residents are wonderful
Cons
management are the cons
Stressful
Office Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAAugust 6, 2018
Learned a lot about senior living while I was there but can't say that I really enjoyed the job. It was always too stressful. A typical day was run, run, run,, run and although you got a break, it was still stressful. Workplace culture is very difficult working in the environment because of the high turnover rate. People get burned out, leave and those who stay just get tired and more stressed. Hardest part of the job was dealing with all of the emergency situations that occur. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know some of the residents.
Pros
Good pay and steady hours.
Cons
Get written up very easily from serious to non-serious things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brookdale. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight