Brookfield Properties

Working at Brookfield Properties in Chicago, IL: Employee Reviews

Chicago, IL76 reviews

brookfieldpropertymalltenantchicagoshoppingleasegeneral

Great Company

Great company and solid benefits. The CEO does not hide away in his office, he is visible and hosts periodic calls monthly to provide updates on the business and employees are given an opportunity to ask questions, which is very helpful. There are a multitude of employee engagement events throughout the year to keep the office involved. For the most part, I enjoy my job and I am happy with my team. I have a steady stream of work that keeps me busy. I really have no complaints.

Good company culture

Work/life balance was not good. Paid time off was decent. You never knew when you were going to get the boot. They kept on downsizing and outsourcing. Overall a fair experience. I wish I would have applied to other departments.

Brookfield Properties insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Terrible Leadership! No Accountability, Toxic Work Environment

While there are a few people, who are really good at what they do, eager to do a great job, contribute and make a difference, the work environment is toxic and the culture is antiquated! Senior management and leadership only care about hitting the numbers; they are not concerned about fostering a professional, positive and inclusive work environment. This is not the place for young ambitious people or people of color.

Great Place to Work

Overall I enjoy working for this company because they care about their employees and their well being. I do wish there was a bit more flexibility in working from home but we can’t have it all now can we.

Productive and fun place to work

The company has variety and steady work to keep employees very busy. Great place to work that values all employees diverse values. It provides environment that integrates work and family.

Fun workplace to work for

It’s a fun workplace and it constantly has interesting projects. People could be old school but open to change. Flexibility and able to work from home.

Older office during my time

I was only an intern, I don't have that much to opine on since it was years ago and at the old location. The people I worked with were wonderful but the company isn't a place of happiness.

Pros

Downtown location.

Cons

Boring topic of work.

Many projects that keep one on their toes - no boring moment.

Brookfield is a growing company that has volumes of projects going at any given time. That makes it fun for those that like to stay busy. I don't like to sit around wondering what is there to do next. So, I thrived while I was with the company.

That they care about there employees

I think my old company are one of the few companies that really support there employees they really care about the community and what’s going on in the world that may or will affect there employees or the residents in the building (SKY55

Collaborative and culture driven

A typical day at work is maintaining open dialogue with staffs' daily tasks. Keeping with the culture of humility, togetherness and team building. The hardest part is balancing workload for staff and training. The enjoyable part is that the team enjoys meeting and learning.

Pros

Location and culture

Cons

Advancement

Productive and fun workplace environment

Great group of talented individuals in I.T. Fun place to work. Interesting industry. Brookfield Properties has a unique strategy to commercial real estate and managing high-end retail properties.

Pros

Opportunities to learn new technology.

Cons

Some bad leadership.

Toxic environment.

Everybody is scared of the CEO whose behavior and reactions to things are erratic. He makes decisions despite what those around him recommend. This leads to a toxic work environment.

No longer exists

No longer exists so there's not much point in reviewing it, is there. But the alg is making me type filler, so that's what I'll do...Perhaps this is enough? Let's check and see.

Leader in commercial real estate acquisition and management.

Company makes strategic decisions when acquiring and managing properties in their portfolio. There is a well established culture and opportunities for growth here.

Serious environment. Everyone was always busy. I learned to process W-9's. Management could have been better. Culture was fun. I really enjoyed my co workers and their activities. Hardest part was getting let go because of the position being eliminated. I feel there was a place for me to grow. Just needed the change.

Pros

activities

Cons

team is something they can work on

One of the best REIT firms

Great culture and team atmosphere. Company offers tons of potential room for advancement and team collaboration. I was engage with the Capital structure, planning and financial forecasting, NOI review process.

Overall

There could be improvements in the organization but when I was an employee there was a lot of change to the culture, management and overall environment. There might have been more change since then that resulted in a better working environment.

Excellent Growth Potential

Very high morale at the company, difficult to get managers scheduled for interviews but overall, wonderful company. They acquired GGP and intend to turn the mall experience around to be more updated with the times. It was very exciting to work for a company that is willing to shake up a model that was what most would consider a "dying art." Very creative people to work with.

Friendly people and relaxed culture

Friendly, helpful co-workers. Good workplace culture. Casual dress every day. Lack of mentoring and direction to advance your career. Upper level supervisors often not available to provide direction with work. Lack of positive work recognition. Poor communication of information to relevant parties. Employees are often overloaded with work.

Leasing

The company leased commercial space. I worked with many Leasing Reps and Leasing Managers that caused a small problem because there were not enough assistants.

Pros

learning experience

Cons

worked for too many Leasing Reps.

high visibility active position touching company operations throughout the U.S.

I had a challenging and unique position that possibly only a dozen people in the U.S. occupied. It allowed me to travel semi monthly Apr-Oct to perform sales audits of tenants as part of a greater sales audit program which netted +$1.5mil/yr in added revenues for the company.

Pros

good pay and good people to work with

Cons

long commutes 1 hr each way from the suburbs to downtown Chicago

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brookfield Properties. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss