Brookhaven National Laboratory Employee Reviews

heavenly environment for researchers
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYJuly 11, 2018
I've worked at BNL as a postdoctoral researcher and find BNL to be a very good environment for work. For a researcher here, there is much freedom on what to work on. Working time can be very flexible. It is a very good place if you have the same science goal as the lab.
Fun place, little oversight
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJune 24, 2018
Everyone is generally caught up in their own work, but that's part of the charm. Research work isn't terribly demanding or rewarding, but it can be exciting.
Challenging and exciting work, interesting science involved with particle accelerator we were all building.
Electro-Mechanical Technician (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJune 19, 2018
Working in the Safety Systems Group helping to build the NSLS II proton accelerator was interesting, challenging and a lot of hard work. It's the second largest particle accelerator in the world, behind only BERN in Switzerland, so I actually had a small part in creating history. Just in the 10 1/2 months I was there, I saw so much built and everything take shape. It was hot , noisy and chaotic, but I enjoyed it.
Pros
Learning about all the science involved, watching NSLS II take shape and grow a little bit every day while I was there.
Cons
Long, tiring days. Difficult deadlines to meet.
Interesting place to work
Interim Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYMay 11, 2018
BNL is a nice place to work. It is very family oriented. Employees last a long time at the Laboratory working on interesting science. The Laboratory spends a lot of time on training employees professional development.
unlimited pool of knowledge
Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYApril 12, 2018
people are very driven and willing to share. the place offers flexible work hours and competitive benefits. Very few people in life get to witness facilities like a particle accelerator, working on one is an honor.
Accept a position at BNL with both eyes open!
Scientific Associate II & Cognizant Space Manager (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYApril 5, 2018
Although I was hired to fill a "One-year term" appointment, that provision was downplayed and I was actively encouraged to accept the position with the suggestion from management that "all new hires are deemed 'term' appointments" with renewals almost a certainty. Prior to accepting the position, management was less than honest with me and should have made it quite clear that there is no expectation of a renewal at the end of the term.

Brookhaven National Laboratory is a US DOE laboratory and, with the new administration's antipathy towards climate science and science in general, over 500 layoffs were sustained laboratory wide.
Pros
Great place to work if you love science
Cons
Politics; don't get involved in politics and WATCH YOUR BACK!
productive place
Intern, Visiting Faculty Program (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 8, 2018
I really like there because I learned new things about chemistry and great advantage working in group. I became more responsible, organized and predictable.
Pros
fun activity
Nice place to work.
Senior Technology Engineer (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYMarch 2, 2018
Good benefits and great work environment.
Good safety culture.
Lots of learning opportunities.
Wonderful people.
Being on call could be difficult at times.
Cons
Many of the benefits are being reduced.
Great co-workers
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYFebruary 7, 2018
Lab is going through serious funding problems by Federal Gov. Anticipated shortfall of funding seems likely. Could result in having to shut down areas of the Lab.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Serious Upper Management /leadership issues
Very considerate managers.
Electrical Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYFebruary 7, 2018
We all worked together well as a team. Our supervisor and manager were a pleasure to work for. Most often we were permitted to work overtime, which helped us maintain our workload. Great company to work for overall.
Pros
Fair amount of overtime.
Cons
Term position.
Funding is a problem
Manager (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYFebruary 2, 2018
The organization depends on federal funding, which is under threat from Congress/administration. It goes through cycles of "good years/bad years" but has recently been stuck in a long, and very bad cycle. As a result, the organization has had to go through layoffs in order to re-allocate funding to projected growth areas...but it's not sustainable.

Typical days at work are busy from the time you walk in, until it's time to go home. Lots of work, not for the lazy!

If you live close by, it's a great commute. Very "family friendly" as a whole, and an overall good experience. Benefits are great, but have been getting chipped away over the past decade.
Pros
Benefits, work-life balance
Cons
lack of budget guidance, too many competing initiatives
Interesting, Knowledgable Staff
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Shirley, NYJanuary 24, 2018
Campus is clean, simple in structural layout, simple to navigate. Food was acceptable at the dining hall. Up at 7, work by 8, end around 5 sometimes much later. Field work heavy for my specific internship. Networking is easy to do here, employees are extremely approachable.
Asst. Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJanuary 22, 2018
As a National Laboratory, it's budget is sensitive to the political environment. However, it's a world class facility that employs engaging career-minded individuals.
great
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYJanuary 11, 2018
great place to work as a scientist. The work culture is exceptional people are very professional. It's also a fun place with lots of extra activities for employees to engage in
Educational and productive
Project Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYDecember 17, 2017
Flexible working hours. Friendly but diciplined management. Working with scientists and highly skilled engineers and technicians. committment to schedule and cost. Basically, an excelent place to work.
Pros
Scientific Research
Overall Good
U.S. Department of Energy Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYDecember 14, 2017
Great site with acres of land and activities to enjoy during break
You had fast-paced days with multiple deadlines but you also had relaxing days with no stressful time limits
BNL believes in work/life balance and were often very accomodating when needed
Hardest thing was dealing with multiple personalities coming from different parts of the country and even world!
Pros
Free activities during lunch, on-site gym
Cons
Not secure, considered a contractor if not a federal worker
Productive and fun.
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ridge, NYDecember 2, 2017
Great environment, great people, great facility. It's a good place to build up one's research experience as there are always plenty of important and challenging topics, great mentors and lots of intellectual interactions.
Very interesting work especially designing
Design Drafter (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYNovember 17, 2017
The labratory is more or less a college with its own restaurant , alot of the work and studies done at
Brookhaven are funded by the united states energy
Department and miltary under certain programs
After years of frustration I finally gave up
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYNovember 9, 2017
I worked at the Lab on and off on a contract basis for 25 plus years. I went 5 years as a temp with no benefits. I kept applying and applying. They would always hire someone else to do my job and lay me off. Happened over and over again. In one case they had me train my replacement. I finally gave up and stopped going back when they called me. To this day they still call me to come back as a temp.
Pros
Nice place to work, nice atmosphere.
Cons
No benifits and lots of unfulfilled promises
Great Place to Work
Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Upton, NYNovember 8, 2017
Brookhaven was a great place to work. Very understanding managers and much less cut-throat than corporate. They have a lot to offer on site for recreational purposes.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Career Advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brookhaven National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2