Brooklyn Public Library Employee Reviews

Avoid this place.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 10, 2019
Management was horrible here. Especially the passport office.
They don’t care about the staff at all. In they’re eyes, everyone is replaceable so they have 0 disregard for the way they treat employees.
I once had my manager told me that he wants to fire everyone & hire a whole new team just so they can be his puppets.
STAY AWAY!
Not bad as a starting job....
Technology Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 3, 2019
Certainly beats working in fast food. But, there are a few areas the Library needs work on. Too many family and friends that know each other work here. Benefits and pay are almost laughable even before taxes are taken out. Certain supervisors are on a "power trip" because they have the word "Manager" or 'Director" in front of their name. Finally, do not expect the library to provide you with training and skills to better yourself so you can learn and grow to be competitive in the job market. Unless you are coming in as a Supervisor or manager, their are no skills required really other than a High School Diploma.
Pros
Seeing less and less
Cons
Seeing more and more
Productive balanced workplace
Technology Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 28, 2019
Very professional workplace.
Must be responsible and be open to making mistakes as you learn your job title. Accountability is a MUST.
The best supervisors you will ever have to work under
Use this position for experience but don't get comfortable
Passport application acceptance Agent (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn NYJanuary 17, 2019
I am absolutely disgusted by this place. The managers barely know what they're doing and would rather blame employees for their lack of training skills.
Pros
Cons
Everything that can go wrong will go wrong
Calm
Page (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2018
The Brooklyn Library was a really great place to work. But I became sick and the environment of where they relocated wasn't go for my health. The people was nice, I liked everyone there. I made really good friends there.
Pros
friendly
Cons
na
Intellectual Experience
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 11, 2018
Honestly was an internship that actually made me see how working experience truly was. It made sense how people worked but as my first job, it opened my eyes to how things were working amongst others.
Fun, Work with Peers, Productive.
Book Buddy (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 24, 2018
Like my other volunteer job, I look forward to it everyday. I want to meet people. I want to just walk around I place I really like and just help around. I get to meet my friends that also volunteer and talk with them while working. It is always something new each day. We are able to get lunch breaks too.
Pros
Breaks
Avoid at all cost
Technology Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 30, 2018
Good as a stepping stone but not a place for long term or to take seriously as a career. At least 85% of the staff are friends and family.Avoid this place like the plague.

Pros
Good benefits. Nothing else.
Cons
85 percent of the staff are friends and family.
organized work place with clear instructions
Librarian's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 13, 2018
Every week I would have a similar schedule, so I would never be surprised or uncomfortable with the amount of work I was doing. My boss gave clear and simple instructions so I was fully aware of what had to be completed. I learned how to cooperate with my co-workers and the environment around me. For me I did not find any part of the job challenging. The most enjoyable part for me was working together with my coworkers and watching after the kids.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
Non-flexible hours
It was secure job and easy work.
Freelance Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 27, 2018
It is a interesting environment to work but they don't give much training to improve work.
You can't learn much for your job skills.
All my co-workers work independently so not so friendly and helpful.
You can find easily for your work references.
An interesting place to Volunteer
Spanish Conversation Leader/Central Branch (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 1, 2018
I worked at Brooklyn Public Library as a volunteer. I enjoyed the experience because I learned how to be a leader and conduct groups of 5 to 7 people. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching adults learn new things about the Spanish language. The Library was a multicultural setting made up of a younger crowd.
Pros
An opportunity to learn new skills
Cons
No breaks
Relaxing work environment
Paid Intern (Former Employee) –  Crown Heights, NYJuly 15, 2018
Working at the library was wonderful for me. I enjoyed the slower pace of quietly organizing books via the dewy decimal system , which I had to learn for the job. Managing lunch & activities with the children was enjoyable, I really felt like I was helping the library operate smoothly with my varied workload. Everyone was nice to me & my favorite part of the job was the quite air-conditioned work space. If I had to choose what the hardest part of the job was, i would have to say memorizing the dewy decimal system.
Events
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 13, 2018
I worked with a partner to organize different activities and events for the children who came to the library. This was a part of the job that we both enjoyed because we got be dive into our creative side and figure out what young kids like.
Great Environment depending on Dept.
Passport Acceptance Agent (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 6, 2018
I love this place but not every department is a pleasant place to work in due to sucky and unprofessional managers. As I'm currently told the managers I worked with are now gone from the passport agent dept. Best of luck to those who came after me not needing to deal with them.
Interactive environment
Library Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 29, 2018
Assisting patrons on a wide variety of issues, such as computer assistance, research, resume help, jobs search, immigration services, ged classes, homework help and providing programs for the community.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Salary
Calm environment, not stressful
Part Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 1, 2018
I had a good experience working here. I wasn't overloaded with work and I had understanding management. I had gotten experience there by volunteering a couple years before so it was familiar to me.
Produtive
Special Patrolman (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 26, 2018
It is a great place to meet people and be able to help people in need. The patrons and staff are wonderful. I have met many people that have inspired me to show me my calling.
Great Community Focused Organization
Neighborhood Library Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 15, 2018
You are provided with the opportunity to really make a difference. Ideas are always encouraged. Management is continuously working on organizational improvements and goals.
Great enviornment
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 6, 2018
It is a great place to work if you are interested in collaboration, advancing your career and expanding your knowledge. It allows you to work with young children and parents. It is a great way to build people skills and interacting with young minds.
Slow pace work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 3, 2018
I was a volunteer here for a few year. It was very slow pace I enjoyed Working with the kids and tutoring them. This was a great way to build my resume.