Brooks Brothers Employee Reviews

Strong Work Environment
Direct Marketing Representative (Current Employee) –  Enfield, CTDecember 30, 2018
Working for Brooks Brothers is an experience that will teach you many things. Customer Service comes with the unwritten rule to satisfy the customer, however Brooks Brothers takes that to new level on a weekly basis. The company policies are only enforced when they apply to certain customers. For example: if you bought an item 5 years ago, you are more than welcome to return because we'll issue a refund. But while working for Brooks it has taught me a lot. It has strengthened my customer service skills and my ability to help our customer. It is a experience I will never forget.t is a experience I will never forget; because it has taught me that there is more than one way great customer service can be provided
Pros
learning new system and the prducts
Cons
lack of support from leadership
Not the company I was honored to join years ago -- high moral and principled talent stay away from harbor east in baltimore, md
Lead Stock & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 26, 2019
Let me be clear, the people (Associates) are WONDERFUL! However, with the slew of changes Brooks Brothers has made over the past little bit a lot of the employees of a certain age feel trapped and unable to leave. The Store Manager is very kind, but she lacks the quality management style and skills that were once demanded and expected of Brooks Brothers Managers. She plays helpless and powerless when District and Regional Managers are involved in any situation. When issues or moral and principle are brought up, no matter the age of the employee, but especially those that are Generation Y or younger, she apologizes and for lack of better words refuses to do anything for fear of losing her job. Below I will describe a particular instance that INFURIATED me, but is the kind of situation that I feel warrants the characterization I just gave her.

In the month of November '18 I decided that it was time for Brooks Brothers and I to part ways. I felt that management on all levels treated employees as disposable, didn't REALLY hear concerns about changing policies, and lacked any kind of true empathy. Having worked for Brooks Brothers in North Carolina for 2+ years I know how big a deal the time period between Black Friday and the Christmas Holiday are; those months there is potential for HUGE bonuses. Even though I was fed up, I made clear that I was not going to leave my teammates hanging because I know how difficult it would be to find, hire, and train someone during that time frame. I asked for a date that would be sufficient for me to leave without putting undue stress on my
  more... team and Store Manager. I VOICED I WANTED TO HELP HER MEET HER GOAL! After having this conversation the Regional Manager was informed of my decision, as well as my willingness to stay to help out throughout the holidays. As expected, my Store Manager apologized for the situation but told me that the bonus at the end of the holiday season may be something to consider before making my decision to leave. Truthfully, I am fortunate enough to be in a position to care less about the bonus, but I refused to be the reason why others didn't get theirs.

Long story short, I stayed and left on the 23rd of December. Because of my having two part-time jobs—because of the inability to secure a set amount of hours at Brooks Brothers— I needed to have my schedule 2-3 weeks in advance and my Store Manager took too long to make it, so I had to leave on that date without being able to help on some of the busiest days. Fast forward to the last week in January—bonuses from the previous month are paid out and are also used as a tool to pay Associates less money hourly— I checked in with my former Store Manager about the bonus. I was informed a few days later that I was ineligible to receive the bonus because of a policy that if a worker left before the end of the period they lost the "BPI". I was livid! Not only did my former Store Manager incentivize me to stay because of the bonus, she apparently "DIDN'T KNOW" of the policy and neither did the Regional Manager. Both of them had to check with HR about the position to take. After finding this out, I was shutout by the Store Manager and told that all communication had to go through the Regional. The Regional, after a few missed calls and a promise to call me back, didn't, and sent me nothing more than an email address to reach HR and never called back. After speaking with HR in Employee Relations I found out that the policy had been instated two years prior, and was able to be "found" pretty much buried on the company website. Two days later, after being told it was going to be escalated after saying I wanted to speak with General Council, I have received no callback.

After speaking with a former Brooks Brothers Manager I decided to let it be. After being denied the bonus and the lack of effort put forth by my former Store Manager and Regional it became bigger than money. If I can't at least get them to fight for their employees after both knowingly letting me work the entire month of December, incentivizing me with the bonus—regardless of knowledge of the policy—and then doing nothing when I was denied it, I want to make sure NO ONE who has significant talent, moral or strong principles EVER chooses to work there.
Pros
Generous employee discount, perks with Luxottica ...
Cons
Low moral, lack of empathy, disposable attitude, and no accountability
Great clothes, over priced though
Key Holder- Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birch Run, MIDecember 28, 2018
Great place to work retail, clothing is very overpriced. Would recommend to everyone to work there. Id quality clothing and classic good look, just costs to much, even for the employees, could give clothe to employees as incentive to were what you sell.
Definitely the best company I've ever worked for
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 10, 2019
Brooks Brothers prioritized the customer relationship over the sale because a great experience is going to last longer than a transaction. Management was always encouraging career development and advocating the best for you and the company. The hardest part of the job was trying to not be there all the time. Anyone who's worked at Brooks Brothers will learn why this company has been around for up to 200 years.
Pros
Cons
N/a
Wonderful old school retail shop
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHDecember 11, 2018
Loved the product,loved the customers. Constantly changing schedule made it impossible to tell your "regulars" what days to look for you. It also made it difficult to plan my personal life.
Would return if I could have a consistent schedule.
it ok
personal stylist (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 22, 2019
It is a okay job but was slow and very boring for me. Cool place to work i loved the cloths they had there. It was very traditional but not trendy at all.
I had a lot of fun working at Brooks Brother, the enviroment was so warm and pleasent. The staff was really great.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 22, 2019
Everyone in the staff was very kind and great to work with.I really enjoyed my time there, the store was never messy it always stayed intact.It was a really great company to work in.
Pros
We always had mini get together parties.
Poor Leadership
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 4, 2019
The District and regional Leadership are horrible. There is very little support and no work life balance. Turnover is high and the company lacks vision.
Benefits
Cons
Leadership, NO Work-life balance, high Turnover
Sales of high-end men's clothes.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GAFebruary 4, 2019
Opened registers, set up displays, restocked and ordered products, and assisted customers. Workplace was clean and supervisors were well trained and treated associates with respect. Meeting people was the best part of the job although it would be difficult to name any part that was not enjoyable.
Pros
Meeting new people and working as a team.
Cons
N/a
Garbadge Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 3, 2019
My first manager was fantastic but of course with change came a new one who played favorites, didn't do his own duties, hired poorly and made passive aggressive comments constantly without ever really confronting the problem or do anything to find a solution
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
Historic brand with a storied history
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2018
Work started at 9am arrived at 8am to make sure the store was straightened and ready for the day. Counted registers open/closed made previous days deposits to the bank. Assisted customers in finding purchases. Handling money.

Workplace culture: Well established brand that has been around for over a hundred years

Hardest part: Very archaic systems in place. Paper timesheets an honor system, which often led to abuses internally

The most enjoyable: Every thanksgiving we did a St. Jude's fundraiser and sponsored a child to raise donations for. That was very rewarding and fun.!
Pros
Great long lasting clothing very historic brand
Cons
Internal systems were very outdated
Productive place to work.
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCDecember 18, 2018
Productive place to work. Numerous people with diverse backgrounds. Teamwork environment. The coworkers: showed exemplary skill in their areas of work and demonstrated team players. Everyone shared in the experience of making this place: a better place to work. Employers involved other employees in to make the work environment more important for the holidays. Overall, a teamwork environment with productive skills for their employees.
Pros
Lunch on time. Breaks were on time.
Cons
No cons .
Typical retail experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 27, 2018
Working at brooks brothers is a typical retail job. When I worked for them, they did not have a solid management structure and lacked good management.
Very Cultured Workplace
Contact Center Lead (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTNovember 17, 2018
I enjoyed my job very much. The people and the work ethic was amazing. I was promoted from Contact Center Associate to Contact Center Lead based on my performance and management ability.
I loved working
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 19, 2018
The entire staff at my store was amazing. We all enjoyed our work and had healthy work relationships. There was never a problem communicating to the manage and issues that we may have had, he always treated us with respect.The discount was amazing and the stores history was very interesting.
Good Company
Visual/ Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Central Valley, NYOctober 30, 2018
As a company Brooks Brothers is great, they offer their employees a great benefits package and paid vacation, sick and personal days, they provide excellent quality clothing for Adults and children.
Pros
Great employee discount, great benefits package, good pay.
Cons
Unfair scheduling, no work life balance, unprofessional upper management.
amazing environment
Marketing & customer services (Former Employee) –  OklahomaOctober 22, 2018
great people with a great General manager . the staff was amazing, the product was great , the way of work was flexible an the atmosphere and culture of the team were great
Pros
team spirit
Cons
few benefits
Enjoyed selling luxury clothing & the working with type customer base
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Queenstown, MDOctober 28, 2018
Enjoyed selling luxury clothing
Like working with and helping professional business customer
Like ability to have flexible schedule
Require medical/dental benefits so wish this was offered even
if have to pay portion to part-time plus employees

Standing long periods of time is challenging unless flexible sitting breaks

Generally enjoyed my work with Brooks Brothers in Queenstown
Having an engaged, professional, fair management staff is important
Pros
Selling beautiful luxury clothing; Flexible schedule; professional customers
Cons
Long periods standing; more consistent pay raises; benefits available only to full-time
Good clothes, few clients
Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 16, 2018
There were very few clients at the Brooks Brothers location I worked at. We had an incredible selection of clothes but Brooks Brothers stores only belong in high end areas where people can afford it.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Slow
Poor
Sales ambassador (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 24, 2018
Typical day at work- in good paste.
What you learned- Different type of sales, made to measure suits, shirts, etc.
Management- Poor.
Working culture- Good/depends on individual.
Hardest part of the job- Attention to the details of customer request of the fit and right style.
Thee most enjoyable part of the job- Selling luxury experience to a customer.
Pros
Global commission if store meets goal
Cons
No benefits