Brookville Center for Children's Services

Brookville Center for Children's Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Overworked, stressful, at times hostile work environment from administration.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYJune 20, 2018
Unless you have thick skin and can easily let issues role off your shoulders this is not an environment for you.
Never thanked for all of your hard work, only told what you are doing wrong. Administration is inappropriate, they belittle you, and each day you walk on eggshells not knowing what to expect each day. Favoritism runs rampant for some, others are always in fear of their job security.
Upper management has been notified of the problems/issues about administration and nothing is ever done about it.
Cleanliness is another issue.
Cons
Administration, salary, cleanliness
Management is awful
Assistant Group Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 27, 2018
The employees are okay. The management is unorganized and clueless. Nothing you ever want from them gets done and they are unwilling to help. It becomes a headache to even bother asking for things that should be given in the first place. The pay is also not reflective of the work load. Coverage is non existent when you need to run out a room quickly. The help given to teachers in classrooms is despicable. We as employees do not get enough credit or appreciation for our hard work.
Pros
Friendly work staff
Cons
short breaks; poor management; low pay
Unpleasant management
Speech-Language Pathologist, CCC-SLP (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYOctober 4, 2017
Far too much paperwork; there was far too much stress stemming from this requirement. Management was far too critical of all employees and independent contractors. Very little autonomy for professional therapists.
A great place to work.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Brookville, NYSeptember 7, 2017
I enjoyed working here last summer as a lifeguard. The management was great as well as the children that attended the school.
Working at Brookville had an impact on my major at Sacred Heart University, I am now studying psychology and would like to work with special needs children.
Stressful work environment but great benefits
Teacher Aide (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYAugust 21, 2017
BCCS changed over the years due to many reasons. It used to be a fun and relaxed work environment that focused solely on the children and their development. When management changed, initial mistakes and firings led to excessive government oversight, which in turn led to a work environment that is micromanaged. Student development is still the primary focus, but the relationships between staff and management deteriorated drastically.

However, the benefits are amazing which is why many employees have stayed.
school-aged population
Graduate Student Clinician (Former Employee) –  Brookville, NYJuly 3, 2017
Provided therapy for school-aged children under the supervision of clinical supervisor. Applied ABA principles during intervention accompanied with AAC applications.
Amazing place to work, on top of the fact that you get to work with and play with the munchkins(children).
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brookville, NYFebruary 18, 2017
Personally, if you love working with kids and watching them grow...sign up now. You will not regret being able to see how it happens as well as what you can learn for you and your potential future children. -personally

This isn't for you if you cannot be level headed and keep your composure or are annoyed easily.
Pros
-Health conscious, -Paid School breaks, -Tuition reimbursement, On the job training
Cons
Benefits(getting better).
Rewarding place to work
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brookville, NYDecember 6, 2016
Different Locations, Different Rules, Different Management so it all depends!!! my experience may be different from others. The Job is rewarding overall if you have a passion for special needs and your ok financially perfect place.
Pros
The Students
Cons
Pay and Benefits `
Average
Teachers Assistance (Former Employee) –  Brookville, NYDecember 2, 2016
While I was working for this company I worked as a job coach and a Teachers assistant
The job coach required me to bring adults that had disabilities to various job locations to perform their job. At first I had to train them to do the work that they had to do. The teachers assistant position, I had to help and facilitate learning objectives for the students that we were working with for that fay.
Pros
Working as a team and working with the students.
Cons
The administration wasnt the best. The salary
Stressful but rewarding
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Brookville, NYAugust 20, 2015
When working at BCCS I found my co-workers to be extremely nice. When working in a room with two to three different people could sometimes be awkward and cause some tension but that wasn't the case there. My first day working there, everyone was so friendly and welcoming which made going to work not so terrible. Working at BCCS you have to work with children that have disabilities (autism, behavioral and learning disabilities) which is sometimes very rewarding. You know that when you are there , even the smallest things can make a difference in a child's life. The student age range is 3 to 21 years old. While working with the kids in the rooms you'll have to keep track of goals and help them reach their goals but a certain date. You also have great hours, working from 8:30 am to 3:30pm and have the option to work a few hours on Saturday mornings.
Pros
Helping children in need
Cons
No training, short staffed

Want to know more about Brookville Center for Children's Services?

Ask a question
Challenging and rewarding
Special/General Educator (Current Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYJune 29, 2015
BCCS consists of multiple self contained and integrated settings. The ratios are 6:1:2, 8:1:2, 10:1:2 and 15:1:2 as well as infant and toddler rooms. A typical day consists of an AM team meeting and classroom activity set up. The assistants will do busing while the teacher remains in the classroom to receive children and document arrival time of each child in the attendance book. Each child is given a visual check upon entering. The morning routine in the integrated setting fosters independence. A clear visual schedule is displayed in the classroom for transitions from each activity. The children in the integrated can range from 3-5 as well as children demonstrating extreme behaviors and emotional maturity. Instruction must differentiate to accommodate the varying age, ability and maturity of each student.
Pros
supportive peers
Cons
job expectaions change continuously
productive
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Old Westbury, NYMay 5, 2015
High paying job, must be careful while working with kids during snack time and while you are changing their diapers. Must be alert and record everything on the daily
Exciting Workplace!
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brookville, NYDecember 12, 2014
I've grown to love the children i work with; mentally, or physically, disabled individuals. We hold many hands-on projects or special days dedicated just for fun. We are a school and have a regular education setting and follow New York State Education ruling. However, we have a special bond with the children and their families. We get trained for specifics, such as, CPR, SCIP-R, even Defensive Driving; all applicable to situations that might arise during work.
Pros
great work place, excellent co-worker relation, good hours
Cons
no room for growth, no pay raise!
Teacher Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brookville, NYSeptember 27, 2014
Great place to work. Family oriented, Fun loving group of people
Excellent workplace
Special Education Itinerant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brookville, NYAugust 12, 2013
Working for Brookville Center is rewarding. They are exceptionally helpful and supportive to me in completing annual reviews and assessments.
very good interdisciplinary work environment
Senior Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYApril 4, 2013
BCCS is a developmental preschool that services children ages 3-5 in the areas of special ed, speech therapy, OT and PT
Pros
great staff
Cons
salary
Productive and fun workplace
Assist Teacher (Former Employee) –  Long island New YorkJuly 23, 2012
Loved this place
they taught me the baisics in Special needs childcare.
Management is good
The staff is overall great.
Most enjoyable part of the job was just working with the children
Pros
great facility
Cons
short lunch breaks
Fun workplace, works with children who touch your heart in a new way every day.
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brookville, NYJune 11, 2012
As a current assistant teacher, a typical day at work starts at 9 AM taking the students off the bus. The students have time to un pack their bookbags, have their morning snack and communicate with the teachers. We complete morning meeting and begin 1:1 goal work with the students. Througought the day, students and assistants are attending specials such as gym, music and art, as well as the students individually being pulled out of the classroom for their related services. After lunch, for the rest of the day, students do interactive lessons on the smart board. Working with children who have Autism, I have learned that every day is a new day. A new day for adventures, fun, ups and downs, but everyday is rewarding. Time Management have become key in the classroom because it is important for students with Autism to follow a schedule that will help them with transition throughout their day. The people I work along side are absolutely wonderful. I work with a lead teacher, as well as 3 additional aids in the classroom. We work well as a team and the students do not differentiate us as one holding any more power than the other. They acknowledge all of us as their teachers and respond well to us. The hardest part of the job is sometimes dealing with specific behaviors of the students. Working with children with Autism challenges us everyday to make new connections with the students that they can build on and also implementing new ways of behavior management. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job is spending time with the students and building a connection with them. I realized  more... that students who have disabilities have a hard time trusting people and making connections. As I have worked closely with each student in my classroom, I have been able to build a trusting relationship with the students that I hold very dear.  less
Pros
working with the children every day