Brown Brothers Harriman Employee Reviews

Good Culture
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2018
Pros

Great co-workers who are compassionate and determined. Modern facilities give it a tech company feel. Room for growth if you are willing to put in the years. Decent company match which fully vests after half a decade.
Management recognizes hard work and will attempt to satisfy employee needs whether that is an internal move or promotion.

Cons

Hours can be long but overtime can make up for it (no overtime for Supervisors and above). Unusual hours; late mornings and nights (can be a pro depending on life schedule).
Great place to get your feet wet
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 15, 2018
BBH was my true starting point in the financial industry. Having started in 2007, I worked my way through the trenches slowly while learning a great deal from my co-workers and other developmental opportunities.

As time went on and I started to move up the ladder, I began noticing how poor and disconnected management was here and slowly started to lose my desire to want to work for the team I was employed with. I decided to take a hiatus and het my mind together after working for a team that really didn't appreciate hard work in my opinion.
Pros
Culture all day, family atmosphere
Cons
cocky managers
many ceilings to advancement
Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2018
Very paternalistic firm where you are not empowered to make your own decisions. If you like micro-management, you'll love it here. Too much partner adoration. The partnership can be stifling and working here feels like you've stepped back in time (which is not a good thing)
Pros
hours aren't demanding
Cons
underpay their employees and treat them like children
Wish I could go back.
FINANCIAL REPORTING ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CONovember 21, 2018
I would definitely return, the work was so interesting and challenging it gave meaning to my weeks. The managers are very human and every person who worked with me was friendly and professional.
There is no opportunity to grow
Derivatives Reconciliation & Analysis (Current Employee) –  50 Post Office Square, Boston, MA, 02110July 7, 2018
It's a good place to start but it's not a good place for those who want to advance their career in investment field. The job is bring, the management is conservative and not so knowledgeable in the field.
Pros
work form home
Cons
low pay, no chance of pomotion
Great place to work long term
Business Analyst II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2018
Great place to work if you want to go somewhere for a very long time. Pay is below average for the industry, and raises are also difficult and below average. The culture and benefits of the firm are great though, so for people with families that don't want overly demanding jobs, this is the place to be. Most positions have high job security too. Most people there are lifers, which is both good and bad. Makes for a less competitive group of intelligence, but what BBH lacks in genius minds it makes up for with quality of service and people.
Pros
Great benefits, nice people, excellent culture, work/life balance, good benefits and perks
Cons
Not innovative, lazy people, low salaries and salary growth
Good for an entry level
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 18, 2018
If you are starting out as a beginner in corporate world, this is a good start, but work distribution can be unfair. Interns are offered a position without a guarantee that they will be getting work.
Great company and solid partner leadership
Human Resources Background Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 2, 2018
Excellent leadership at the partnership level and an excellent HR team, strong values, care about employees...trade surveillance and compliance sections high pressure with poor leadership
BBH - Client Service
Client Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 16, 2018
Loved working with the people at BBH. Work life balance was terrible but it depends on client and department. Compensation was below average for a financial firm. Personally not my industry or atmosphere I am looking for.
Not a bad company but has some major issues in tech
SVP Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2018
OK company to work for but some of their policies are negative.
Some of the management is incompetent.

The problem is they are big on affirmative action type of things, so if you are a woman for instance, you may be incompetent but they will not touch you. Meanwhile she will make bad decisions that will impact a lot of things. Other than that, its not a bad company, if you work for a normal manager it can be a good place to be. Also they are heavy on offshoring that creates many issues as well.
Pros
Stable profitible company
Cons
Offshoring, some managers are incompetent
productive and nice group of people to work with
Financial Analysis Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 11, 2018
I had been working for Brown Brothers Harriman as a Financial Reporting Consultant since 2014 and I am still here today April 2018. I kept coming back to this company when they need me during busy seasons. I love the environment here. The people are friendly, easy to work with and very collaborative group of individual. On the night we need to stay late to get the deliverable to the client, the entire team would stay behind and finished the job together. No one would leave until everyone is done.
Pros
The VP always buy us dinner if we need to stay late.
Cons
I can't think of any Cons.
Mobility opportunities
Assistant Vice President, Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 5, 2018
Plenty of opportunities to move internally given size of organization. BBH faces same struggles as peers in Custody space; shrinking market share, decreasing profit margins and push to reduce costs.
Pros
Mobility
Cons
Limited perks
Great Place to Work
Associate (Feb 2018) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 23, 2018
Brown Brothers Harriman is a great place to work. It has a great learning environment and a supportive community. The company is the perfect starting point for someone interested in business administration.
Ambiente de trabajo corporativo, profesional
Inversión, Especialista de Ingresos y Impuestos (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 19, 2018
Ambiente tranquilo y un equipo amable y servicial.
Good, fast-paced Work Environment with an excellent Job Culture
Trade Management/Ops Specialist (Distribution (Current Employee) –  BostonMarch 11, 2018
Brown Brothers Harriman is a good, fast-paced Work Environment with an excellent Job Culture. As this was my first Job out of College, I have learned so much about the Financial spectrum. This is a great opportunity for anyone looking to get their foot in the door to a Job that has good quality work/ life balance along with several benefits.
No Growth
Enterprise Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2018
There is no growth unless you are a banker. In the end it is that simple and management can be lacking, especially if you are looking for a place where you can grow.
It's a great place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2018
I work an off shift. So when I come in, the day shift is pretty much wrapping up. It gets hectic but we all get along pretty well. The raises can be better.
Pros
Job security
Cons
The raises are not great.
Cliquey
entry to executive (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2018
This entity has been around for centuries. The company culture is very conservative and the average employee tends to be a bit older. Employees have remained in their roles for years, which results in a lack of career advancement for entry level employees.
Pros
Solid Work Experience
Cons
Management, lack of career growth
Poor management. A lot turn overs
Funds Transfer Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 19, 2018
Poor training and poor management. Small group, everybody too busy to train other people. Constant cross training.
Late hours and work holidays.
Annual increase less than 2%
No room for advancement.
They only hire people with no experience at all.
Pros
Easy interview
Cons
Work holidays, late hours, eternal cross training
Relaxed but not well paid
Corporate Actions Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 11, 2018
The company culture is great, everyone is pretty chill and friendly therefore the environment is pretty relaxed. However since it is an private bank that owns by partners, full-time employees told me that they are not really well-paid compare to its competitors.