Brown Brothers Harriman Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to work long term
Business Analyst II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2018
Great place to work if you want to go somewhere for a very long time. Pay is below average for the industry, and raises are also difficult and below average. The culture and benefits of the firm are great though, so for people with families that don't want overly demanding jobs, this is the place to be. Most positions have high job security too. Most people there are lifers, which is both good and bad. Makes for a less competitive group of intelligence, but what BBH lacks in genius minds it makes up for with quality of service and people.
Pros
Great benefits, nice people, excellent culture, work/life balance, good benefits and perks
Cons
Not innovative, lazy people, low salaries and salary growth
great place
Trade Settlement Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2018
great place to work, great people, fast paced. building and location is beautiful, everyone is willing to help you with any issues. Also, you feel more like a family than coworkers here
Not a bad company but has some major issues in tech
SVP Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2018
OK company to work for but some of their policies are negative.
Some of the management is incompetent.

The problem is they are big on affirmative action type of things, so if you are a woman for instance, you may be incompetent but they will not touch you. Meanwhile she will make bad decisions that will impact a lot of things. Other than that, its not a bad company, if you work for a normal manager it can be a good place to be. Also they are heavy on offshoring that creates many issues as well.
Pros
Stable profitible company
Cons
Offshoring, some managers are incompetent
productive and nice group of people to work with
Financial Analysis Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 11, 2018
I had been working for Brown Brothers Harriman as a Financial Reporting Consultant since 2014 and I am still here today April 2018. I kept coming back to this company when they need me during busy seasons. I love the environment here. The people are friendly, easy to work with and very collaborative group of individual. On the night we need to stay late to get the deliverable to the client, the entire team would stay behind and finished the job together. No one would leave until everyone is done.
Pros
The VP always buy us dinner if we need to stay late.
Cons
I can't think of any Cons.
Relaxed but not well paid
Corporate Actions Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 11, 2018
The company culture is great, everyone is pretty chill and friendly therefore the environment is pretty relaxed. However since it is an private bank that owns by partners, full-time employees told me that they are not really well-paid compare to its competitors.
Good, fast-paced Work Environment with an excellent Job Culture
Trade Management/Ops Specialist (Distribution (Current Employee) –  BostonMarch 11, 2018
Brown Brothers Harriman is a good, fast-paced Work Environment with an excellent Job Culture. As this was my first Job out of College, I have learned so much about the Financial spectrum. This is a great opportunity for anyone looking to get their foot in the door to a Job that has good quality work/ life balance along with several benefits.
great place to work
Corporate Actions Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMarch 7, 2018
Started my career here and couldn't be happier. Management were happy to educate at any point and the work challenged you in a way that spurred professional growth
Poor management. A lot turn overs
Funds Transfer Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 19, 2018
Poor training and poor management. Small group, everybody too busy to train other people. Constant cross training.
Late hours and work holidays.
Annual increase less than 2%
No room for advancement.
They only hire people with no experience at all.
Pros
Easy interview
Cons
Work holidays, late hours, eternal cross training
Fast environment
Mutual Funds Account Opening Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 29, 2018
Fun, friendly, caring, hard working, yet a team environment.
There was growth as long as you express interest. Upper management was flexible with the employees needs. Pay was competitive but fair for who deserved it. Bonus was a nice touch also.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
no cons
Great place to work and well respected
intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
I worked there as an intern and really felt valued. Everyone was very accommodating and gave me responsibility which I enjoyed thoroughly. Worked with very smart people.
great place to work
Payment Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 23, 2018
People were friendly, the work enviornment was comfertable. The pay was fair, and the location was great. I had a great expeirience at brown brothers.
Review
Financial Reporting Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 15, 2018
Very old school and not a progressive firm.

Culture is very conservative. Not much growth opportunities within the firm.

Overall OK place to work but not great or exceptional.
contractor in the private bank
Quality Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2018
The company is a private owned bank, and I worked as a contractor through my agency company, the hiring process was quick and easy, because the job is easy too.
Productive work place
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 30, 2017
This is a great place to start your career as you will be challenged daily. While rewarding, the days can be long and the nights even longer depending on workload within your team.
good for resume bad for everything else
Financial Accounting and Distribution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 8, 2017
if you are a tempt do not come here it is great to put on your resume but start looking for a job ASAP. the take their sweet time thinking over whether or not to hire you specially when they have a position open. they will hire you as a tempt for an open postilion they have and not hire you full time for that position so they dont have to way you a salary or benefits
Prestige and yet conservative company to work for.
Relationship Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2017
Everyday is unpredictable, often last minute inquires and short notice projects. The company culture is very conservative, with constant business restructures. The firm had some good managements and I'm happy to have met some really good people. Overall it is a good company to work for.
Hierarchical
Learning (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2017
BBH is obsessed with officer titles and tenure with the company. They don't care that you're a good worker or that you have new ideas if you don't have any of the aforementioned. There is not career advancement or opportunity to grow. As with any company, there are politics, but many of the people I have met have been backstabbers and will smile to your face and then trash talk about you as soon as you turn around. There is no autonomy here, and in order to get anything done you need to get many approvals (ex: getting a desk fan requires signatures all the way up to the partner level).

Do yourself a favor and don't bother coming here.
Nurturing management, Solitary atmosphere
NAV Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 31, 2017
It may have been just the two teams I worked for, but there isn't much social interaction during the day. Coworkers who sit within earshot (even across from me) would send questions or info on their computer messaging program. They do organize after work events, however, but be ready for the need to go hours at a time without talking out loud.

Management is fantastic, they take time to help employees understand new information and encourage growth, while not pressuring you into new data that you aren't ready for. Very understanding regarding any need for sick time or tardiness, provided it isn't a consistent issue.

The group I worked for (NAV Hub) had very long hours some nights (shift was 10:30AM - 7PM), but I would often find myself there past 8. If you're looking for OT pay, this is the place for you.

Overall great, would recommend for anyone interested in finance. pay is not great but fair.
Pros
Nurturing atmosphere
Cons
Little social interaction
Productive and fun workplace- poor management, glass ceilings
Operations Specialist- FX Trade Initiation (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2017
The environment and culture at BBH is top notch, you really can build a family like relationship with your co workers. However the compensation compared to similar positions within other banks is highly underpaid as well as poor management with a high turnover rate due to this. There is also glass ceilings as it is nearly impossible to work your way up, only can move around departments.
Good Firm
Talent Acquisition Partner - Technology - AVP, NY (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2017
good place to work depending on the department and the structure of team. Hard to achieve advancement. strong benefit package. HR department needs restructuring.
benefits
Cons
work life balance