Brown University Employee Reviews

Working experience at Brown
Assistant Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 1, 2018
Baseball was 7 days a week, either on campus or away from campus with recruiting. As a whole, there were a lot of sports at Brown which made the work environment very competitive within the institution.
Awesome Place
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 30, 2018
Great experience and team! I thoroughly enjoyed partnering with the team. I learned a tremendous amount and was able to grow within this role. I recommend that people try to work here!
labor intensive teaching with inspiring students
Visiting Lecturer, English Department (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 22, 2018
Some degree of independence in position, as well as security ( 3yr renewable contracts), but otherwise highly structured and demanding and overly repetitive.
Learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 10, 2018
I learned a lot at Brown University and was promoted fairly for the skills I acquired. I had interactions with different groups of people. It was a good experience
Good compensation and benefits
Visiting Assistant Professor / Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 2, 2018
The whole experience at Brown enriches one's skills in many ways. Great workplace culture. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with students from all backgrounds.
Overrated
Office of University Communications (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 28, 2018
A place that is disconnected from reality and pretends internally. A typical highly liberal atmosphere that contradicts itself and is full of fake individuals at the top. Everything is great if you agree with them. Many of the staff are great people and they are not treated well. They smoke and mirror you with great benefits, but you never get to take advantage of many of them. They really do not follow what it is they say they stand for (more smoke and mirrors).
productive and fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 28, 2018
On a typical day at work everyone asks about how everyone is doing. I learned about the chefs obstacles to become what they are today. What I loved about them is that if they know you don't feel well they will excuse you immediately.
Pros
paid break
Cons
short break
vet tech
veterinary/Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 18, 2018
management was difficult to work with and unreasonable. But investigators and lab techs were great. Some lab techs were very instructive and helpful in teaching and education for veteriinary techs to do their jobs accurately.
Not recommended as a place for work.
Assistant professor (Research) (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 15, 2018
Biological division at brown is a like a small circus runs by a clown!
Most faculty runs outdated research and not welling to wake up.
Not recommended as a place for work.
Very fun and layed back work envoronment
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 25, 2018
A typical day at work I would arrive to work a little before 8a.m I would eat breakfast than start by washing my hands and putting on a hairnet and apron. then I would go look to see who needs equipment or food restocked like cereal creamers coffee or milk. around 11 I would clean the line and sometime serve the students food and restock bowls plates and eating utensils. at the end of my shift I would clean up wipe down tables sweep mop floors and make sure all bowls and plates coffee cereal milk and creamer's was all restocked.
Pros
Free food
Cons
not alot of work hours
Small area but large experience
Visiting Research Scholar (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 24, 2018
Brown University is very well-known that people can have the high degree of freedom for their academic achievement. And due to the close location from Mass. and Connecticut where Harvard, MIT, Boston University and Yale University exists, students can enlarge the network in the various field for their career.
Pros
High degree of freedom in academic achievement
Cons
Administrative work is a little bit slower than other universities
Secure positions with low pay and little advancement
Supplier Registration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 9, 2018
I worked in an administrative role for a department in the Business Office for 4.5 years. The highest salary I reached was $39k. Most workers there are older (50+) and still lean on outdated business practices and can't handle navigating basic software menus. A university can be broken down into 3 groups: Students, Faculty and Staff...and they definitely rank them in that same order, with Staff being at the bottom.
Pros
Free Lunches, occasional staff activities, health benefits
Cons
Low pay
Great workplace to learn
Internship Experiences (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 22, 2018
I was an intern and the pace was fast gave me a great insight on my major and what I should expect in a real-life job as such. I was able to learn a lot of the departments while there.
Excellent
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 13, 2018
An excellent place to work and great people - good benefits and professional development opportunities. The people are wonderful and the students are very special.
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 11, 2018
I have very much enjoyed working here at Brown University. The benefits will be hard to be beat, I'm sure. It is fast paced typically and the atmosphere within my department is very nice, team oriented.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Adolescent Psychology) (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 2, 2018
Brown University cultivates diversity and love of learning. Students are encouraged to explore a very wide variety of courses and find their own passions.
Great place to work for
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 24, 2018
I got hire when k was 16 worked there for 3 years an lived it for my first job great I learned a lot there and I also got to work at amazing events I recommend working there
Nice place to go every day
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 15, 2018
Generally, a good place to work. Interesting, challenging work with smart and thoughtful colleagues. Oddly manages to be highly bureaucratic and often poorly organized at the same time. System protection flows only one way, though; get a bad supervisor and you are virtually powerless. Strong respect for work/life balance and generally very good benefits, which make the mediocre salary stretch much farther.
Pros
This is a good place to work, nice work/life balance, ethical employer, lots of extra perks, good work environment, nice people, tuition reimbursement program, good for people with kids
Cons
limited growth opportunity for some, parking can be problematic, pay seems low for some positions
Love my job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 25, 2018
Typical work day:
1) Reviewing reports from the prior night.
2) Entering cases in Student Conduct's Database.
3) Preparing correspondence to students involved in incidents.
4) Communicating, as a liason, with other departments (internally) and outside entities (FBI Agencies and other universities) for background checks.

Love my job, specifically:
1) Enjoyed working under pressure.
2) Love my co-workers in the department.
3) Love working with students.

The hardest part of the job:
1) No having enough time for staff development.
2) No having incentives for career development.
Pros
Having an hour lunch
Terrific higher-ed culture
Senior Class Campaigns Officer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 23, 2018
Advancement Office is a well-oiled machine and there's a lot to learn from a diverse group of professionals. Exposure to lectures, prestigious alumni, intelligent students, and an exceptional campus.