Brown University Employee Reviews

Awesome place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 15, 2018
Working at Brown you feel very much apprecaited and always ackowlwdged for your work that you did everyday, THe work life baclance is great and the days fly by.
Graduate Student Researcher
Auction Theory Researcher (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 25, 2018
Not a job. Not being paid. Have the luxury of working with both professors and graduate students. Some problems you don't want to bring to a professor, and other graduate students as resources can be a useful outlet.
Poor work/life balance, not great for working or single parents
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 22, 2018
Highly overrated. Working parents, I recommend you search one of the many other colleges or universities in RI for better hours and better tuition reimbursement (tuition exchange) for your children. Brown talks a good game. For a liberal university that likes to stroke its own ego about how inclusive it is, they have left the parent out of the equation. HR is useless and has no idea what actually goes on in individual depts. My own supervisor told me so on several occasions. While HR touts benefits for working parents, such as the ability to work a flexible schedule, when an employee asks their supervisor for this, they will likely be told no. The only university in the state with office hours of 8:30-5 (others offer 8:30-4:30) and if you think you'll be done at 5pm, you are mistaken. The overall culture is one of working/checking emails around the clock.
Pros
Prestigious name.
Cons
Work/life balance, I sat on a search committee once, where when asked about work/life balance, a colleague of mine told the applicant, most people are expected to work through their lunch, HR has no clue.
Good stable job
Data entry specialist (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 20, 2018
Brown was a very stable job since it is one of the best ivy league colleges in my area. the work pace was slow but for a temporary job it was one of the best.
Diverse backgrounds of the players and coaches.
HEAD SOCCER COACH (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 10, 2018
Typical day was in the office preparing for practice and games.
Learned about the type of student athlete that would be successful at Brown
Brown is an Ivy League University and has very high admission requirements.
Productive and fun place to work
Research Associate in Neuropathology (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 5, 2018
Brown University is a wonderful, productive, and fun place to work. Their management staff and environment are great to work with. Everyone is extremely helpful.
Pros
Living in Providence, Ri
research student (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 20, 2018
Fruitful environment for an overall personality development. Resourcefulness is a key for connecting with researchers and potential job employers while working in an academic environment.
good university with fascinating research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 9, 2018
I enjoyed doing my PhD there. It was a stimulating environment full of intelligent people and high-impact research. The lab equipment was good and had sufficient support.
Working experience at Brown
Assistant Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 1, 2018
Baseball was 7 days a week, either on campus or away from campus with recruiting. As a whole, there were a lot of sports at Brown which made the work environment very competitive within the institution.
Awesome Place
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 30, 2018
Great experience and team! I thoroughly enjoyed partnering with the team. I learned a tremendous amount and was able to grow within this role. I recommend that people try to work here!
labor intensive teaching with inspiring students
Visiting Lecturer, English Department (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 22, 2018
Some degree of independence in position, as well as security ( 3yr renewable contracts), but otherwise highly structured and demanding and overly repetitive.
Learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 10, 2018
I learned a lot at Brown University and was promoted fairly for the skills I acquired. I had interactions with different groups of people. It was a good experience
Good compensation and benefits
Visiting Assistant Professor / Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 2, 2018
The whole experience at Brown enriches one's skills in many ways. Great workplace culture. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with students from all backgrounds.
Overrated
Office of University Communications (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 28, 2018
A place that is disconnected from reality and pretends internally. A typical highly liberal atmosphere that contradicts itself and is full of fake individuals at the top. Everything is great if you agree with them. Many of the staff are great people and they are not treated well. They smoke and mirror you with great benefits, but you never get to take advantage of many of them. They really do not follow what it is they say they stand for (more smoke and mirrors).
productive and fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 28, 2018
On a typical day at work everyone asks about how everyone is doing. I learned about the chefs obstacles to become what they are today. What I loved about them is that if they know you don't feel well they will excuse you immediately.
Pros
paid break
Cons
short break
vet tech
veterinary/Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 18, 2018
management was difficult to work with and unreasonable. But investigators and lab techs were great. Some lab techs were very instructive and helpful in teaching and education for veteriinary techs to do their jobs accurately.
Not recommended as a place for work.
Assistant professor (Research) (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 15, 2018
Biological division at brown is a like a small circus runs by a clown!
Most faculty runs outdated research and not welling to wake up.
Not recommended as a place for work.
Very fun and layed back work envoronment
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 25, 2018
A typical day at work I would arrive to work a little before 8a.m I would eat breakfast than start by washing my hands and putting on a hairnet and apron. then I would go look to see who needs equipment or food restocked like cereal creamers coffee or milk. around 11 I would clean the line and sometime serve the students food and restock bowls plates and eating utensils. at the end of my shift I would clean up wipe down tables sweep mop floors and make sure all bowls and plates coffee cereal milk and creamer's was all restocked.
Pros
Free food
Cons
not alot of work hours
Small area but large experience
Visiting Research Scholar (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 24, 2018
Brown University is very well-known that people can have the high degree of freedom for their academic achievement. And due to the close location from Mass. and Connecticut where Harvard, MIT, Boston University and Yale University exists, students can enlarge the network in the various field for their career.
Pros
High degree of freedom in academic achievement
Cons
Administrative work is a little bit slower than other universities
Secure positions with low pay and little advancement
Supplier Registration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 9, 2018
I worked in an administrative role for a department in the Business Office for 4.5 years. The highest salary I reached was $39k. Most workers there are older (50+) and still lean on outdated business practices and can't handle navigating basic software menus. A university can be broken down into 3 groups: Students, Faculty and Staff...and they definitely rank them in that same order, with Staff being at the bottom.
Pros
Free Lunches, occasional staff activities, health benefits
Cons
Low pay