Brown University Employee Reviews

vet tech
veterinary/Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 18, 2018
management was difficult to work with and unreasonable. But investigators and lab techs were great. Some lab techs were very instructive and helpful in teaching and education for veteriinary techs to do their jobs accurately.
Not recommended as a place for work.
Assistant professor (Research) (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 15, 2018
Biological division at brown is a like a small circus runs by a clown!
Most faculty runs outdated research and not welling to wake up.
Not recommended as a place for work.
Small area but large experience
Visiting Research Scholar (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 24, 2018
Brown University is very well-known that people can have the high degree of freedom for their academic achievement. And due to the close location from Mass. and Connecticut where Harvard, MIT, Boston University and Yale University exists, students can enlarge the network in the various field for their career.
Pros
High degree of freedom in academic achievement
Cons
Administrative work is a little bit slower than other universities
Secure positions with low pay and little advancement
Supplier Registration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 9, 2018
I worked in an administrative role for a department in the Business Office for 4.5 years. The highest salary I reached was $39k. Most workers there are older (50+) and still lean on outdated business practices and can't handle navigating basic software menus. A university can be broken down into 3 groups: Students, Faculty and Staff...and they definitely rank them in that same order, with Staff being at the bottom.
Pros
Free Lunches, occasional staff activities, health benefits
Cons
Low pay
Great workplace to learn
Internship Experiences (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 22, 2018
I was an intern and the pace was fast gave me a great insight on my major and what I should expect in a real-life job as such. I was able to learn a lot of the departments while there.
Excellent
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 13, 2018
An excellent place to work and great people - good benefits and professional development opportunities. The people are wonderful and the students are very special.
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 11, 2018
I have very much enjoyed working here at Brown University. The benefits will be hard to be beat, I'm sure. It is fast paced typically and the atmosphere within my department is very nice, team oriented.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Adolescent Psychology) (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 2, 2018
Brown University cultivates diversity and love of learning. Students are encouraged to explore a very wide variety of courses and find their own passions.
Great place to work for
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 24, 2018
I got hire when k was 16 worked there for 3 years an lived it for my first job great I learned a lot there and I also got to work at amazing events I recommend working there
Nice place to go every day
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 15, 2018
Generally, a good place to work. Interesting, challenging work with smart and thoughtful colleagues. Oddly manages to be highly bureaucratic and often poorly organized at the same time. System protection flows only one way, though; get a bad supervisor and you are virtually powerless. Strong respect for work/life balance and generally very good benefits, which make the mediocre salary stretch much farther.
Pros
This is a good place to work, nice work/life balance, ethical employer, lots of extra perks, good work environment, nice people, tuition reimbursement program, good for people with kids
Cons
limited growth opportunity for some, parking can be problematic, pay seems low for some positions
Love my job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 25, 2018
Typical work day:
1) Reviewing reports from the prior night.
2) Entering cases in Student Conduct's Database.
3) Preparing correspondence to students involved in incidents.
4) Communicating, as a liason, with other departments (internally) and outside entities (FBI Agencies and other universities) for background checks.

Love my job, specifically:
1) Enjoyed working under pressure.
2) Love my co-workers in the department.
3) Love working with students.

The hardest part of the job:
1) No having enough time for staff development.
2) No having incentives for career development.
Pros
Having an hour lunch
Terrific higher-ed culture
Senior Class Campaigns Officer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 23, 2018
Advancement Office is a well-oiled machine and there's a lot to learn from a diverse group of professionals. Exposure to lectures, prestigious alumni, intelligent students, and an exceptional campus.
productive and fun
Head Volleyball Coach (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 17, 2018
I have always felt very appreciative to be working at Brown University with the student athletes. I had the trust from administration to work independently. I oversaw my assistant coaches and I liked working with support staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Short contracts
not a fair office environment
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 8, 2018
long & short days. Department heads get all the rewards for the team efforts Snow days lack ofcommunication between staff & management. Student interaction was fun, rewarding and very interesting Big learning curve on the international language
Pros
enjoy the students of all over the globe, break on tuition
Cons
when new administra
Fun and exciting place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 6, 2018
I learned a lot about marketing and ticketing. Both basketball and hockey games were very exciting to work. There was always work to get done. Employees are extremely nice and friendly.
Pros
Hour long lunch break
Cons
Long days and late nights
Professional, challenging and fast-paced environment.
Switchboard Operator/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 20, 2017
Brown University is an exceptional University to work for. I have been employed at Brown University for the past 11 years. A typical day at Brown University includes answering a multi-line switchboard for the entire university including faculty, staff and students. I have gained a tremendous amount of experience working at Brown. I have learned to work as a team player with mangers and directors.
very friendly
Assistant Library Technician I and II (Former Employee) –  rockefeller libraryDecember 15, 2017
see resume it has job description and duties,tasks,goals,communicationskskills.
learning & hands on.to bad it was temporary
position..Brown university was down sizing
early retirement.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
only temporary position
Collaborative, relaxed environment
COLLEGIATE HEAD SOFTBALL COACH (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 13, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job of course are the relationships built with student-athletes. What a bright, caring, insightful group op people to be around.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long commute
Great place - if you are full-time faculty or a high-end admin
Visiting Professor, writing consultant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 9, 2017
I've worked for Brown in a number of capacities - as a graduate student, as a writing consultant, and as faculty. I still teach for the school of professional studies on an ad hoc basis. It was a wonderful place to study - it offered a competitive fellowship, and I wouldn't be the scholar, writer, researcher, and human being I am today had I not been afforded this extraordinary opportunity.
Outside of this wonderful opportunity, however, I wasn't as pleased. I feel that Brown underpays all of its employees, save its senate faculty members and top administrators. Brown is known among peer institutions for this. At one point, I calculated my pay as a consultant and it was something like five dollars an hour. I was happy to get the experience but it was tough - and no one was there to help me when I appealed to them.
So if you are offered a full-time faculty position or are recruited to be the provost or dean, go for it! Otherwise, caveat lector!
Pros
great research community and excellent undergraduate students
Cons
non-competitive pay!
Productive work place. Co-workers from other sports are very helpful.
Assistant Coach - Women's Volleyball (Current Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 28, 2017
Brown is a great place to work/coach. I have been with this University for the past five years of my coaching career. Throughout this time I have learned a variety of new coaching methods along with the skills of being able to recruit talent for our team. I have also done a lot of work with ACS and compliance to further along my knowledge of the behind the scenes aspect of coaching at a college level.