Brown and Caldwell Employee Reviews

BEWARE - Water Modeler / Smart Utility Engineer
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2018
Trust me. You don't want to work for the people in this group in Atlanta.

The guy you'll work for is a liar and manipulative person. Lot's of staff leaving and I'm hitting the road soon. Office lead and SE area manager is calling all hands meetings to address staff turnover. Hello? it's you dummy.

PMs/CSMs are very controlling and use technical staff as they need them, then discard at the drop of the hat. You are definitely a pawn at this company.

Firm lacks strong leadership and follow through. The Consulting Group lead is a real piece of work really lacks authenticity. Alot of talk by senior leadership but nothing ever gets implemented at middle management level. Meanwhile your career stagnates.

They also fired someone recently that was really unfair. See other one star posts in this about Atlanta office and smart utility group being a real mess.

Get me out of here!
Pros
If you're a lemming you'll fit in nicely
Cons
But before you know it you'll be pushed off a cliff
Nice people to work with
Digital Support Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 24, 2018
Over the years I was there the company went through several management changes that change to focus, expectations and requirements for my job. I was not given enough time to make all of the sudden changes they were expecting. And with the department being understaff severely, I do not think that it will get better for the department any time soon.
Pros
Travel was nice, benefits were good. Pay was good, people were great
Cons
Understaffed, no desire to backfill, expectations of workload greater than can be reasonably be expected
No leadership
Regional Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, COSeptember 14, 2018
It’s more about the clients and less about the employees.
Management is more concerned with the bottom line and doesn’t care about developing their employees. Most of corporate has moved to Denver with the new CEO coming up with scripted messages that sounds robotic and fake. Management thinks they’re better than the bigger competitors but in reality they’re just stroking their egos.
They are behind in technology from all aspects of the business and will be crushed by their competitors if changes in management do not change.
Wake up and hire people who knows how to market the company.
Budgets are getting cut and resources are slim. The website looks like something from the 1990’s where their competitors are light years ahead of them.
They say they are “the company of choice” but in reality it’s their choice to be out of touch and clueless.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Management is clueless
Excellent flexibility
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COAugust 16, 2018
BC has a great virtual working model and allowing employees flexibility. Strategy was clear from the CEO and easy to resonate with. I enjoy the work I to do and the leaders I work with.
Not really tough
Sr. Helpdesk Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 15, 2018
No organization and had to tell how to prepare a peanut butter n jelly sandwich to a customer that didn't know how to fix one. Also it wasn't very intense. It was average. Not bad.
The people rock!
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 19, 2018
Bad insurance but the HSA is nice. They provide a certain amount to each employee every year. There is no room for growth really if you aren't an engineer.
Geologist I
Geologist/Hydrogeologist (Former Employee) –  Upper Saddle River, NJApril 19, 2018
Mostly field work from my experience. Do not expect a 40 hour work week they push to get you to work longer. Office is nice with amenities, coffee, fridge, etc.
no comment
IS Specialist (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 4, 2018
Used to be a good company before all the culture change, company is now no longer the company of choice it once was. Work life balance is a challenge with this organization.
Poor Management and Lack of ANY Direction
SDE (Former Employee) –  USAMarch 8, 2018
Very poor management who did not back employees in any way. Unrealistic expectations on scope and deadlines for work. Standards are nonexistent and everyone just does there own thing. BC tried to be a “Virtual “ Company but does not have any established standard. Management stabs you in the back when unrealistic expectations are clearly documented. Manager even admitted that he should have “shown you this months ago” but then lied while on a call with his boss. Very unprofessional. Many of the people in my office were very nice but all supervisors reside in a different area of th US. My experience was horrible and I would not recommend Brown and Caldwell.
Pros
People in my office were nice but I didn’t work directly with them
Cons
Horrible Supervisor Practices. Very Unprofessional
Very happily new to the BC team!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 6, 2018
great work/life balance, flexible when necessary
formal training process
mentoring opportunities
great team environment
career growth encouraged
rising professional group
Pros
Initailly given guidance, training, and responsibility and then are able to run with your abilities.
Cons
Positions require being proactive and having self-discipline to accomplish goals, must also be accountable for deadlines.
Fun place to work
Lead Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 5, 2018
Brown and Caldwell has a great culture and values its employees. You work with some of the biggest names in the industry and some of the most well known projects.
You are respected, valued and attention is brought to your accomplishments.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Outstanding environment for marketers to learn, grow and have fun.
Sales Services (Current Employee) –  Washington StateFebruary 5, 2018
I have been with Brown and Caldwell for more than a decade in a variety of leadership roles. Marketers are respected as business partners and valued for their expertise in the sales process. The marketing team functions as a collaborative and supportive team. Employees are empowered to innovate and advance best practices fueling company growth and personal career advancement.
Fantastic culture
Area Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 2, 2018
I've been working in marketing for BC for about 6 years, and have no intention on leaving. The company truly supports marketing in ways that I have not personally experienced at other AEC firms; I've been doing this for 20 years and this is the 6th AEC firm that I have worked for. I feel challenged, and proud of what I do. The marketing team is extremely strong and is always pushing the limits on proposals and presentations. The firm has a "family feel" but is also a strong national company with technical experts and excellent reputation. I really like the people that I work with! Work/life balance is very important and I feel that I have flexibility when necessary.
Pros
flexiblity, culture, people, exciting projects
Cons
marketing systems need refresh
Great place for a marketer to grow
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 2, 2018
When I started at BC, I was just out of grad school with a focus on Integrated Marketing Communications. I could have pursued a career in Marketing or PR in basically any industry. I chose the Environmental field and Brown and Caldwell as my "home". That was nearly 16 years ago.

I have literally developed myself to a senior-level marketer at just one company, which I know is rare these days. The company's leadership believes and empowers their marketers to have a seat at the table, speak up, and help drive strategy. This comes from the strong sales program and accountability across all level to follow the steps of our sales process.

As a marketer at BC, you will be expected to be part of Go No Go discussions, share ideas to build client growth strategy, provide input to create unique messaging and graphics designed to address our client's concerns and issues. This is an environment for marketers who want to push themselves to grow and develop. The firm encourages team work, resource and product sharing, and developing new best practices to continue to improve. They also encourage strong work/life balance for all employees.

Over the 1.5 decades I have been at BC, I have seen leadership change a bit but the fundamental culture that supports my career growth has not changed at all. I can't recommend BC enough to someone who wants to join a firm in a great industry that truly is different and special. It is a place to grow, succeed, work hard, and be rewarded both with compensation and through working with some of the best minds in the industry. Join BC - your
  more... will not regret it!  less
Pros
growth opportunities, supports creativity, healthy work-life balance, interesting work
Innovative and Collaborative Marketers with Strong Management
Marketer (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 31, 2018
BC by far has the most innovative and collaborative group of marketers in the business. I've worked for and teamed with other firms and I've come to realize that the marketers here are a huge step above the rest. Marketers are actually given the opportunity to bring their voice to the table and be heard, and their opinions matter.

Marketing management at BC is top-notch. Their expectations for performance is high, but that's only because they lead a high-functioning and driven group of marketers. Management provides solid training, and continued guidance and mentoring for all marketers. The work is challenging, but if you're a go-getter with the right attitude and willing to learn, you can have an amazing career here. I've learned so much from this group!

I highly recommend working for Brown and Caldwell. This is a place where you are encouraged to collaborate with your team, be creative in your writing and graphics, and learn as much as you can.
Pros
Good leadership, positive environment, you get to be creative.
Leadership empowers marketers as sales professionals
Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 31, 2018
This is the first company I have worked for in the AEC industry (in over 20 years), where leadership (all the way up to the CEO) sees marketers and graphic designers as professionals in their chosen careers and has provided a structure for their empowerment and a seat at the table. Many firms treat these roles as purely support positions without a voice because the marketers and graphic designers aren't providing the core professional service (engineering or architecture) that the firm markets.
Pros
Great company culture, strong leadership, empowerment, career growth potential
Cons
Information Systems and Business Intelligence Systems need updating - thankfully, in process.
Marketing & Creative Services are best in the industry
National Sales (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 19, 2018
Great company culture. Leadership is approachable and open to feedback. Enjoy the people the most; all smart, down-to-earth and fun to work with. Been in the industry for 20+ years...have been so impressed with the Marketing & Creative Services teams. Best-in-class.
Pros
Leadership; healthy work environment; virtual company; work/life balance; pay/bonus program;
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CADecember 29, 2017
Easy Going
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 12, 2017
Brown and Caldwell is an amazing place to work for. They care about their employees and everything may have a deadline but you can make it easily. We all worked together to get projects done, and to work with vendors and clients.
admin
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  dandridge tnNovember 12, 2017
this is a fantastic company I would recommend anyone works here and they management is amazing. I was in the admin position helping run a construction site

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brown and Caldwell. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight