Brown and Caldwell Employee Reviews

The people rock!
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 19, 2018
Bad insurance but the HSA is nice. They provide a certain amount to each employee every year. There is no room for growth really if you aren't an engineer.
Geologist I
Geologist/Hydrogeologist (Former Employee) –  Upper Saddle River, NJApril 19, 2018
Mostly field work from my experience. Do not expect a 40 hour work week they push to get you to work longer. Office is nice with amenities, coffee, fridge, etc.
no comment
IS Specialist (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 4, 2018
Used to be a good company before all the culture change, company is now no longer the company of choice it once was. Work life balance is a challenge with this organization.
Poor Management and Lack of ANY Direction
SDE (Former Employee) –  USAMarch 8, 2018
Very poor management who did not back employees in any way. Unrealistic expectations on scope and deadlines for work. Standards are nonexistent and everyone just does there own thing. BC tried to be a “Virtual “ Company but does not have any established standard. Management stabs you in the back when unrealistic expectations are clearly documented. Manager even admitted that he should have “shown you this months ago” but then lied while on a call with his boss. Very unprofessional. Many of the people in my office were very nice but all supervisors reside in a different area of th US. My experience was horrible and I would not recommend Brown and Caldwell.
Pros
People in my office were nice but I didn’t work directly with them
Cons
Horrible Supervisor Practices. Very Unprofessional
Very happily new to the BC team!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 6, 2018
great work/life balance, flexible when necessary
formal training process
mentoring opportunities
great team environment
career growth encouraged
rising professional group
Pros
Initailly given guidance, training, and responsibility and then are able to run with your abilities.
Cons
Positions require being proactive and having self-discipline to accomplish goals, must also be accountable for deadlines.
Fun place to work
Lead Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 5, 2018
Brown and Caldwell has a great culture and values its employees. You work with some of the biggest names in the industry and some of the most well known projects.
You are respected, valued and attention is brought to your accomplishments.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Outstanding environment for marketers to learn, grow and have fun.
Sales Services (Current Employee) –  Washington StateFebruary 5, 2018
I have been with Brown and Caldwell for more than a decade in a variety of leadership roles. Marketers are respected as business partners and valued for their expertise in the sales process. The marketing team functions as a collaborative and supportive team. Employees are empowered to innovate and advance best practices fueling company growth and personal career advancement.
Fantastic culture
Area Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 2, 2018
I've been working in marketing for BC for about 6 years, and have no intention on leaving. The company truly supports marketing in ways that I have not personally experienced at other AEC firms; I've been doing this for 20 years and this is the 6th AEC firm that I have worked for. I feel challenged, and proud of what I do. The marketing team is extremely strong and is always pushing the limits on proposals and presentations. The firm has a "family feel" but is also a strong national company with technical experts and excellent reputation. I really like the people that I work with! Work/life balance is very important and I feel that I have flexibility when necessary.
Pros
flexiblity, culture, people, exciting projects
Cons
marketing systems need refresh
Great place for a marketer to grow
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 2, 2018
When I started at BC, I was just out of grad school with a focus on Integrated Marketing Communications. I could have pursued a career in Marketing or PR in basically any industry. I chose the Environmental field and Brown and Caldwell as my "home". That was nearly 16 years ago.

I have literally developed myself to a senior-level marketer at just one company, which I know is rare these days. The company's leadership believes and empowers their marketers to have a seat at the table, speak up, and help drive strategy. This comes from the strong sales program and accountability across all level to follow the steps of our sales process.

As a marketer at BC, you will be expected to be part of Go No Go discussions, share ideas to build client growth strategy, provide input to create unique messaging and graphics designed to address our client's concerns and issues. This is an environment for marketers who want to push themselves to grow and develop. The firm encourages team work, resource and product sharing, and developing new best practices to continue to improve. They also encourage strong work/life balance for all employees.

Over the 1.5 decades I have been at BC, I have seen leadership change a bit but the fundamental culture that supports my career growth has not changed at all. I can't recommend BC enough to someone who wants to join a firm in a great industry that truly is different and special. It is a place to grow, succeed, work hard, and be rewarded both with compensation and through working with some of the best minds in the industry. Join BC - your
  more... will not regret it!  less
Pros
growth opportunities, supports creativity, healthy work-life balance, interesting work
Innovative and Collaborative Marketers with Strong Management
Marketer (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 31, 2018
BC by far has the most innovative and collaborative group of marketers in the business. I've worked for and teamed with other firms and I've come to realize that the marketers here are a huge step above the rest. Marketers are actually given the opportunity to bring their voice to the table and be heard, and their opinions matter.

Marketing management at BC is top-notch. Their expectations for performance is high, but that's only because they lead a high-functioning and driven group of marketers. Management provides solid training, and continued guidance and mentoring for all marketers. The work is challenging, but if you're a go-getter with the right attitude and willing to learn, you can have an amazing career here. I've learned so much from this group!

I highly recommend working for Brown and Caldwell. This is a place where you are encouraged to collaborate with your team, be creative in your writing and graphics, and learn as much as you can.
Pros
Good leadership, positive environment, you get to be creative.
Leadership empowers marketers as sales professionals
Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 31, 2018
This is the first company I have worked for in the AEC industry (in over 20 years), where leadership (all the way up to the CEO) sees marketers and graphic designers as professionals in their chosen careers and has provided a structure for their empowerment and a seat at the table. Many firms treat these roles as purely support positions without a voice because the marketers and graphic designers aren't providing the core professional service (engineering or architecture) that the firm markets.
Pros
Great company culture, strong leadership, empowerment, career growth potential
Cons
Information Systems and Business Intelligence Systems need updating - thankfully, in process.
Marketing & Creative Services are best in the industry
National Sales (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 19, 2018
Great company culture. Leadership is approachable and open to feedback. Enjoy the people the most; all smart, down-to-earth and fun to work with. Been in the industry for 20+ years...have been so impressed with the Marketing & Creative Services teams. Best-in-class.
Pros
Leadership; healthy work environment; virtual company; work/life balance; pay/bonus program;
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CADecember 29, 2017
Easy Going
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 12, 2017
Brown and Caldwell is an amazing place to work for. They care about their employees and everything may have a deadline but you can make it easily. We all worked together to get projects done, and to work with vendors and clients.
admin
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  dandridge tnNovember 12, 2017
this is a fantastic company I would recommend anyone works here and they management is amazing. I was in the admin position helping run a construction site
Fast Paced
Administrative Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CASeptember 12, 2017
I worked at Brown and Caldwell for over 24 years and gained a great deal of experience and opportunities for advancement during my tenure there. To this day, I still have contacts with folks from there and even work with some Brown and Caldwell folks here in my current position.
I loved this company
Senior Geologist/Hydrogeologist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 19, 2017
Brown and Caldwell was a great company to work for. i worked for them twice. The first time i got laid off because they lost a big contract and didn't have enough work. The second time i was hired for a specific projedt. When it was over, they didnt have enough work for me so i was laid off again. In spite of that, they treat their employees well and have lots of benefits.
Pros
Nice company culture
Cons
When business gets slow, they have laoffs, but that is the nature of the business.
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 11, 2017
It was a temporary assignment that used BST for project billing and Ms Excel for reporting and also Intraviewer software was used for back up storage and handling.
Pros
Temporary position
Cons
Temporary position
Highly technically competent. Provies training to junior engineers.fair and balanced to all
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 23, 2017
Brown and Caldwell is a highly technically competent firm in the water and wastewater industry. The management is highly competent and supportive. benefits are competitive in the industry. Firm is Safety oriented.
Pros
Technical competence
challenging
Lead Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 6, 2017
The work environment was rather difficult. It was hard to tell who was in charge most of the time and people ended up working against each other. There was good work being done but too many people involved in directing. Being specific to water/wastewater put them at risk of running out of work if there were not many projects to be had.
Pros
Downtown, latest cad programs, innovative techniques
Cons
Too many managers, lack of clear direction

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brown and Caldwell. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight