Brown and Caldwell Culture reviews

Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 21, 2019
I really liked BC. Good company culture, management was really connected to people and offices were really connected to each other. There's a lot of experience and expertise at the company, and for people in engineering roles there are a lot of good mentors around.
Managing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CANovember 25, 2018
Office culture was great and smart co-workers. Great technical people and resources. Company also has a great name in the wastewater field. Good information sharing and a great virtual office company.
Pros
Collaborative staff
Cons
Not profitable. Too much dead weight in middle management
no comment
IS Specialist (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 4, 2018
Used to be a good company before all the culture change, company is now no longer the company of choice it once was. Work life balance is a challenge with this organization.
Very happily new to the BC team!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 6, 2018
great work/life balance, flexible when necessary
formal training process
mentoring opportunities
great team environment
career growth encouraged
rising professional group
Pros
Initailly given guidance, training, and responsibility and then are able to run with your abilities.
Cons
Positions require being proactive and having self-discipline to accomplish goals, must also be accountable for deadlines.
Fun place to work
Lead Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 5, 2018
Brown and Caldwell has a great culture and values its employees. You work with some of the biggest names in the industry and some of the most well known projects.
You are respected, valued and attention is brought to your accomplishments.
Pros
Great culture
Fantastic culture
Area Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 2, 2018
I've been working in marketing for BC for about 6 years, and have no intention on leaving. The company truly supports marketing in ways that I have not personally experienced at other AEC firms; I've been doing this for 20 years and this is the 6th AEC firm that I have worked for. I feel challenged, and proud of what I do. The marketing team is extremely strong and is always pushing the limits on proposals and presentations. The firm has a "family feel" but is also a strong national company with technical experts and excellent reputation. I really like the people that I work with! Work/life balance is very important and I feel that I have flexibility when necessary.
Pros
flexiblity, culture, people, exciting projects
Cons
marketing systems need refresh
Great place for a marketer to grow
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 2, 2018
When I started at BC, I was just out of grad school with a focus on Integrated Marketing Communications. I could have pursued a career in Marketing or PR in basically any industry. I chose the Environmental field and Brown and Caldwell as my "home". That was nearly 16 years ago.

I have literally developed myself to a senior-level marketer at just one company, which I know is rare these days. The company's leadership believes and empowers their marketers to have a seat at the table, speak up, and help drive strategy. This comes from the strong sales program and accountability across all level to follow the steps of our sales process.

As a marketer at BC, you will be expected to be part of Go No Go discussions, share ideas to build client growth strategy, provide input to create unique messaging and graphics designed to address our client's concerns and issues. This is an environment for marketers who want to push themselves to grow and develop. The firm encourages team work, resource and product sharing, and developing new best practices to continue to improve. They also encourage strong work/life balance for all employees.

Over the 1.5 decades I have been at BC, I have seen leadership change a bit but the fundamental culture that supports my career growth has not changed at all. I can't recommend BC enough to someone who wants to join a firm in a great industry that truly is different and special. It is a place to grow, succeed, work hard, and be rewarded both with compensation and through working with some of the best minds in the industry. Join BC - your
  more... will not regret it!  less
Pros
growth opportunities, supports creativity, healthy work-life balance, interesting work
Leadership empowers marketers as sales professionals
Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 31, 2018
This is the first company I have worked for in the AEC industry (in over 20 years), where leadership (all the way up to the CEO) sees marketers and graphic designers as professionals in their chosen careers and has provided a structure for their empowerment and a seat at the table. Many firms treat these roles as purely support positions without a voice because the marketers and graphic designers aren't providing the core professional service (engineering or architecture) that the firm markets.
Pros
Great company culture, strong leadership, empowerment, career growth potential
Cons
Information Systems and Business Intelligence Systems need updating - thankfully, in process.
Marketing & Creative Services are best in the industry
National Sales (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 19, 2018
Great company culture. Leadership is approachable and open to feedback. Enjoy the people the most; all smart, down-to-earth and fun to work with. Been in the industry for 20+ years...have been so impressed with the Marketing & Creative Services teams. Best-in-class.
Pros
Leadership; healthy work environment; virtual company; work/life balance; pay/bonus program;
I loved this company
Senior Geologist/Hydrogeologist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 19, 2017
Brown and Caldwell was a great company to work for. i worked for them twice. The first time i got laid off because they lost a big contract and didn't have enough work. The second time i was hired for a specific projedt. When it was over, they didnt have enough work for me so i was laid off again. In spite of that, they treat their employees well and have lots of benefits.
Pros
Nice company culture
Cons
When business gets slow, they have laoffs, but that is the nature of the business.
Highly technically competent. Provies training to junior engineers.fair and balanced to all
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 23, 2017
Brown and Caldwell is a highly technically competent firm in the water and wastewater industry. The management is highly competent and supportive. benefits are competitive in the industry. Firm is Safety oriented.
Pros
Technical competence
It all depends on who you work with
Engineer (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 19, 2017
The office environment was not great, but I worked with a virtual team who were all amazing. The hours were flexible and it was very family oriented. The company as a whole is nice and lots of cross office collaboration. Office management was a joke.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Offfice management
Good work/life balance, slow to increase responsibility
Engineer 1 (Current Employee) –  AnywhereOctober 17, 2016
The people at the company are fantastic to be around and act more like a family than a company. Staff is top-heavy so getting more interesting work is difficult as a young engineer. Great for mid-career types with kids, not so great for ambitious young professionals. Work weeks are usually 40 hours and the culture is very relaxed.
Flexible work schedule with a lot of oppertunity
Engineer Operations (Current Employee) –  Upper Saddle River, NJMarch 30, 2016
Typical day at work is flexible around client demands;
Company focuses on cutting-edge technology and supplying turn-key solutions for water/waste water treatment process;
Management allows you to self-start and manage projects independently;
Co-workers for the most part are of a team atmosphere;
Hardest part of the job is deadlines, and fulfilling 24HR coverage on certain projects;
Most enjoyable is the atmosphere and being surrounded and supported by the best in the business.
Pros
Safety lunch meetings; Holiday parties; these items strengthen the team atmosphere
Cons
More responsibility with little advancement regarding salary increases
Solid Environmental Consulting Firm
Principal Scientist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 16, 2015
Good work/life balance, great co-workers, lots of experts on staff and fun place to work. Corporate chargeability goals can be challenging.
Sr. Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJuly 16, 2014
Enjoyed the people and the culture at this company. I think they could use some resturcturing because some departments don't have the work load needed to support the amount of people in the departments.

There are many loop holes working with two accounting systems which leaves room for many errors.
Pros
close to home and enjoyed working with the people
Cons
not enough work to keep busy. Makes the day long.
Great Internship
Process Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 30, 2013
Wonderful team in the Process Mechanical Department in the Downtown Seattle office.
Recent management changes made this place a difficult place o work
Senior Microsoft SQL Server Team lead (Current Employee) –  Walnut CreekJuly 13, 2013
Not much growth in skills.
I larned for many years but recently because of recent management chanes, not much learning.
Co-wokers are great.
Hardest part of the job is to deal wih supervisor.
working wih co-worker.
Pros
flexibilty but not anymore
Cons
politics