Brownells Employee Reviews

Great place to grow long term with Amazing People!
Management (Current Employee) –  Grinnell, IAJune 21, 2018
I've been at Brownells for a number of years and have had opportunities to grow and advance in my career. It's a place where your ideas can be heard. It's a very open minded & entrepreneurial culture. They've invested in my professional development and do a great job of investing in those that want to grow & contribute. At this point I can't imagine being anywhere else. The best part though is the people. I've never been a part of a better team in my career. I look forward to coming in and have a decent work life balance. This is my dream job. I'm proud to be a part of a great culture.
Pros
Access to awesome discounted products, great benefits, good work life balance
Non flexible high stress
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IAFebruary 21, 2018
Lots of walking for fulfillment associates. Approx 12 miles every day. High stress and low flexibility with sickness/hours. High expectations for all employees.
Brownells
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Montezuma, IAFebruary 1, 2018
The ability to work from home has been amazing. Brownells has a fantastic culture and a true team spirit. Compensation and benefits are very decent. I would recommend Brownells as an employer to family and friends, and have!
Good work environment.
Microsoft Solutions Developer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montezuma, IADecember 18, 2017
Brownells is a good place to work, with friendly and competent employees. The location is rural while working from home was limited. As a relatively small company, the budget for technology was limited.
Pros
Friendly employees.
Cons
Remote location
Great but with it's challenges
Office Employee (Former Employee) –  Montezuma, IAOctober 17, 2017
Great company with a good culture. Management needs clear direction and decisions are made without examining all the impacts. Company used to have a real family culture but since the move to the new location has taken on a more corporate and cold feeling. Needs to find it's roots
Not a great place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Grinnell, IAOctober 16, 2017
Very unstable company to work for. A huge division between the management and the workers. In the 5 years I've worked there I've never heard employees saying much positive about the company. The culture is as bad as it can get. It's not the company it used to be. Stay away from this company if you want a good career.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor upper management
good place to work
Packer (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IASeptember 28, 2017
i likes it there fun place to work at only bad was i didnt see mu kods that much they were friensy nice fast pass to work at but over all i loved workinf thwre
Family owned
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IAAugust 27, 2017
God company to work for. Nice people to be around. Family owned. Talked to lots of people that called in to order parts and helped them out if they had problems with there orders.
Pros
Free lunches with Anniversary
Cons
Change of hours all the time, no sick days, call in not welcome at all
Poor management and little communication
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IANovember 16, 2016
I do not recommend a temp to hire position. There is poor communication and leadership. high turnover. If you are not liked they will let you know. You can be terminated with no reasons why. No warning or communication about anything. Just immediate termination. IT is not very good and nothing is updated. If there is something wrong or incorrect the only way you will know is when you are terminated.
Pros
decent start pay
Cons
little communication, high turnover
Poor management out of touch with employees. Not a career.
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Montezuma, IAFebruary 27, 2016
Third generation management is completely out of touch with employees. Yearly unsatisfactory employee surveys with no intention of trying to make things better. No performance evaluations. If you get a raise it will be offset by increased insurance premiums. There are sometimes advancement opportunities but they will use you for several years and then will restructure and eliminate your position (very few actually choose to retire). Continuing to receive poor customer reviews and management can't address the issues (lack of practical knowledge). Current DOA has a God complex and is not trustworthy. He will take your ideas for himself and then throw you under the bus. Has no knowledge of common sense operations management.
Seems to be an evident discrimination for certain positions. You have to be in the "boys club" to advance and have any job security.
Have new state of art facility and equipment but have not increased efficiency (same day shipping to 5-7 days??). Constantly throw money around the country in sponsorships and tv shows and then tell employees there are financial issues and that raises and bonuses are negatively affected.
Bottom line, if you are looking for a low wage job to get by- it is great. If you are looking for a career to make a decent living and job security- find a different place.
Pros
Good 401k match. Some great lower level employees.
Cons
Just a job not a career.
Poor manager employee relations, micro magaged by superiors
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Montezuma, IAFebruary 26, 2016
MBAs all over the place from all walks of life except gun related fields. No experience in supervision, just do as I say regardless of the potential outcome. No performance reviews because they wouldn't matter anyway as you only get a cost of living increase, no pay for performance because performance makes no difference. Personality issues abound between thin skinned managers and boy are there a lot of them. Not enough time in the day to handle all the customer issues created by slogging computer systems, misleading web content and lack of any firearms knowledge by the majority of employees. Yearly 3rd quarter layoffs of beneficial employees but the favorites and those who know how to manipulate an Excel spreadsheet are retained forever. No longer the place to go for gunsmith tools or firearms knowledge go elsewhere for better service and answers to questions.
The claim is "we are all family", but doesn't hold water after your first contact with management.
Pros
Starting pay is decent
Cons
No advancement, Monday morning quarterbacks everywhere.
A once great company !
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  montezuma iowaFebruary 1, 2016
As the world gets political so did Brownells.
As more 4 year degree people were hired common sense left the company .
Not honest and they would do the bait and switch once you were hired.
A big lay off once a year . You did not know if you were going to have a job at the end of the year. They would let key people go that kept the company together and hired people that did not know anything about firearms or the industry Those who knew were let go .
Its taken over 3 years to complete a new facility that houses outbound inventory .
Management is worse than I have ever seen in a company.
Unrealistic expectations from management and not honest .
It takes a third generation to ruin a company and it has happened .
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad management
Enjoyed working at Brownells, especially with my co-workers!
housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Montezuma, IAJanuary 10, 2016
I enjoyed my time working at Brownells, and wish that I still had my job there. It had a great schedule and benefits. My co-workers were great to be around and I made some good friends there.
Pros
great schedule
Interesting
project coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montezuma, IAJanuary 6, 2016
Interesting place to work. Change is taking place all the time. Hard to keep up with the demand at times. Need to hire more employees to keep up.
Office work, great learning experience
intern (Former Employee) –  Montezuma, IAAugust 27, 2015
I enjoyed having the opportunity to get valuable office experience. It was mostly data entry while I was there, but It was still great to be a part of the marketing team.
worked there for 10 years
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Montezuma, IAAugust 23, 2015
loved the people i worked with. the company grew very face and orders flew out the door fast. Very fast paced work environment. and changes taking place all the time.
A lot of fun with Bingo!
Call Representative (Current Employee) –  Montezuma, IANovember 21, 2014
I would answer questions for the customers. Help customers locate what they were looking for. I would place orders for customers. I have met very nice people at Brownells that I consider close friends. The hardest part of my job is when the customer calls and wants to know where his order is, and we can't locate it. I never want my customers to be upset. I get to the bottom at once.
Pros
Great gifts at the Christmas dinner
Cons
No breaks in between phone calls
Not worth it.
Fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Montezuma, IADecember 18, 2013
Negative work environment
Micro management
Very unhappy employees
Low wages with minimal raises.

This is and will be my first and last experience with a company like this. After 2 years of employment I have seen and heard enough.By far the most negative work environment that I have ever experienced in all of my 18 years of work history. Employees come and go so fast I could barely get to know their names. Always hiring due to constant loss of employees. Very negative management team... constantly hovering and criticizing regardless of job performance. Every single member of my team was unhappy...and actively job searching. Every day someone was quitting, walking out, getting written up, or being given a verbal warning. I've never seen anything like it... hard to believe until you've actually experienced it. The stress became so much that it affected my home life and my life outside of work. I regret staying for so long. We tried to speak out, we tried to make changes, and we tried to make a difference... but we were ignored and punished for voicing our concerns to upper management. My team lead was fired after conducting a private meeting with one of our company leaders. She stood up for the employees in fulfillment, spoke out against how employees were being treated, and our lack of pay. A week later she was asked to resign.
Pros
Beautiful break room, 401k match
Cons
Consumed by negativity, disrespect, and control.
It was a nice work place with a great lunch room.
Pick Packer (Former Employee) –  Montezuma, IowaOctober 31, 2013
I learned what not to do if I ever become a manager at a company. Management there is bad. I say they are a company but they treat the warehouse employees like dirt. Other than that my co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was dealing with my manager and her assistant. The most enjoyable part of my job was coming into work and meeting new people. i enjoyed what I did. If it weren't for the managers I would still be there. I quit. I couldn't take it anymore.
Nice place to work.
Order Entry (Former Employee) –  Montezuma, IASeptember 11, 2013
I enjoyed working with people. I answered phones and assisted people with finding the correct parts and with making orders. Orders could be placed by individuals or with other companies. I enjoyed my co-workers and had a great relationship with the management. I went out of my way to help in other departments as was needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brownells. Our community is ready to answer.

Brownells Reviews by Location