Buc-ee's Employee Reviews

Productive and Diverse place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXDecember 6, 2018
Overall the time i spent working at Buc-ee's i learned something new everyday and showed up willing to work my scheduled hours with no issues. If I could I would definitley go back to work for them again.
Not so good place to work
Gift Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXNovember 27, 2018
If you are willing to go to work and get yelled at the whole time you are there then this would be the perfect job. If you were done cleaning your section then they wanted you to re clean it again and again until you had a customer walk in there or your shift was up.
Very fast paced fun place to work.
TL maintenance bucees (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXNovember 26, 2018
Be on time
Work hard
Respect each other
Listen to your managers
Always be willing to learn and pay attention and you will get noticed and will be looked at in a good way.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Short breaks
Good Money, Company doesn’t care about you.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXNovember 15, 2018
Buc-Ees is a great place to work if you just want guaranteed hours and money. However they are very strict about their guidelines, and harsh with punishment. My first day a coworker told me “the most common way to quit Buc-Ees is by getting fired.” Through my 5-month experience there I quickly became one of the most senior and experienced employee because of the ridiculous turnover rate. I was training a new coworker every week it seemed (Just in my Main department!) they would let go employees who had been there for YEARS because of simple, easily fixable offenses. One lovely lady, who had been there for 2 years, was let go after forgetting to clock out for a shift early in the week. One day, my car had broken down a few miles away from work, I had to walk the rest of the way, leaving my car on the side of the highway. I called to let them know I’d be running behind but was still going to get there ASAP so they’d be more forgiving. I ended up being 15 whole minutes late (it was a mile and a half walk in Texas summer, I was drenched in sweat) and worked my whole shift and even stayed late to get a headstart on the next days work.
My car was broken into, vandalized, and got everything worth anything stolen. Battery, Tires, expensive camping equipment etc. The next day I went into work, they wrote me up for being late, regardless of protest. I could have skipped altogether and taken care of my car and I still would have gotten only one write up(they give 3 before termination, it’s a big deal.)
Pros
Pay
Cons
No discount, Treated like a drone, too many hours sometimes.
Depends on your manager
Night Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 15, 2018
I worked at two different stores and they could NOT have been more different. I left the first store for better hours, but in the end I should have stayed. The GM at the 2nd store talked disrespectfully to just about everyone who worked for her, resulting in an incredibly high turnover rate. In the end I left to pursue something better.
Pros
Good Pay, Nice PTO, 401-K and Health Insurance
Cons
5-10 min. breaks, long shifts on your feet, very demanding management
Good pay, poor management
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 14, 2018
Above average base pay.
Free beverages while at work.
No formal break/lunch period.
Benefits available (health, dental, vision, etc). Below average coverage, at above average price.
No employee discount.
Management quick to fire individuals with little warning/counselling.
Above average turn over.
Little opportunity to learn new areas.
Little overtime.
Schedule frequently changes.
May work 8 days in a row.
Productive and quick paced.
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 27, 2018
Oppertunity to meet all kinds of different people from different states. It is a fast-paced environment. You get to learn about the different position.
Managers do not listen, strict environment, no discounts what so ever
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXOctober 17, 2018
Fast paced, cut throat, rude employees, managers seem pompous, only way to advance is who you know or who’s butt to kiss, no breaks, have to ask permission to use bathroom, cannot have cell phone turned on at all, cover any tattoos, employees are easily replaceable you are just a number to them
manager
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Bastrop, TXOctober 12, 2018
only 2 managers at bucees were okay. the female manager did not like you if you were not a girl. i worked hard and one of the most trained non managers and no career opportunities
fast pace work environment
GIFT ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Waller, TXOctober 12, 2018
Fun workplace and very nice and fast paced and very clean. I would recommend working for this company. Very caring company to work for always try to help employees out
fun work place
Foodservice (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXOctober 9, 2018
what was a fun and ok place to work some day work was hard but with the people that I was working with made it fun and easier to deal with. It's pretty easy job
Pros
free drinks
Cons
short breaks
No respect for hard working employees
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXOctober 7, 2018
Been in food & beverage for 30 yrs. Absolutely the worse company I’ve ever worked for! Micromanaging at it’s worse! Monitor employees every move. Literally! Cameras and audio EVERYWHERE. 8 hr shift (usually more if busy!) you are allowed a 5 minute “moment” as they call it. You pay full price and pay cashier, then work until your food is ready. You can not sit, must stand at small round table and eat. They record you while you eat. If longer than 5 min, you will be called to the office and told you were “watched” and took too long. You are assigned side work as well as your required work in your area, so they get every penny out of you. If caught idol for even a second, they will add more side work. Obvious display of partiality from management. Treated better if you’re in “the click”! Good, hardworking coworkers and it is so sad the lack of respect they give you. Employees are usually from rural areas around store locations and do not have much to choose from that offer decent pay. If asked what do you like about working at Buc-ee’s, reply “the money”. The owners have made a fortune and show such a lack of respect to those good people who make it happen for them!!!
Pros
For the most part, your coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Fun environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lake Jackson, TXSeptember 27, 2018
I loved working there, you stay busy and they pay really great. Managers are nice, and working there was fun and i was always excited to get up and go to work
Awesome place to work
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXSeptember 25, 2018
Don't work here if you have a soul
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXSeptember 24, 2018
I should have ran in the other direction after the interview process. It consisted of the manager constantly ragging on Buc-ee's (maybe as an interview tactic) about how horrible it was. (No breaks, no chairs, if you're on the phone its immediate termination etc. Weirdest part was finding out they are recording you on video camera and audio recording you, even in bathrooms.) Since I needed a job badly, I tried justifying how horrible other people have described Buc-ee's the best I could do. I was extended an offer the next day.

I worked the second shift (2-10pm) and was expected to show up early and clock in on time. I was also expected to stay until midnight countless times. Very disorganized. Managers play favorites.

Finally left this job after finding a better job with better pay. Buc-ee's has a high turnover rate, a word of advice is to never care too much about a job that will replace you in a day. The stressful work environment is not worth selling your soul to make $15/hr.
Pros
High wage for working at a glorified gas station.
Cons
You are expected to work like a robot.
Decent job hard to move up
Deli worker (Former Employee) –  Wharton, TXSeptember 21, 2018
Managers are by far the worst thing about this job but if you are okay a fast pace workplace with no motivation from management instead of hours of overtime in summer time and less hours during slow times then this might be the job for you also I might mention no lunch Breaks Allowed you have 5 minutes to eat your food also no raises whatsoever unless you are willing to move up which requires more work hours and a signed contract but good for someone who's going to school and doesn't have a family
Pros
Hours
Cons
No lunch no raises no room to move up
This job was first to hire me after months of unemployment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oyster Creek, TXSeptember 14, 2018
Clock in and count how much money you had in your register. restock beverages after midnight, clean restrooms, fix coffee, and clean parking lot. The best part of the job was weekly pay.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
No health insurance.
Breaks suck
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bastrop, TXSeptember 14, 2018
I don't really have much to say about Buc-ee's except the "breaks" are too short, no one is able to healthily eat in 5 minutes. It wasn't and option to use your break for anything other than eating;
Fast Paced
Overnight Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXAugust 29, 2018
Poor management you can't have your own idea and run it across your manager it must be his idea and his way. I worked for this company for 3 yrs and the turn over rate was so bad. Employees are treated like there nothing they can hire someone to replace you in a heart beat and they aren't going to hide that fact from you.
Cons
No lunches even if you work more than 9 hrs, no phones, not able to sit down to take a five min break, they record you when you are pumping to provide food for your baby.
Good hours and decent pay but no raises, poor management
MERCHANDISE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXAugust 28, 2018
i have been with the company for 4 years. They do not give individual raises. They give the whole store a raise. Poor store management. But I love my co workers.
Pros
Decent pay and guaranteed 40 hours
Cons
Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Buc-ee's. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.4

1.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight