Buc-ee's Employee Reviews

A stressful work environment with poor management.
Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXFebruary 17, 2019
Buc-ee's overall was a disappointing experience. Management is poor and the expectations are unreasonably high. Job security is very low and the environment is stressful. My favorite part of the job was merchandising product. My least favorite part is the fact that you can only take a break for a maximum of 7 minutes once throughout the day.
Pros
Creativity
horrible honestly
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXFebruary 17, 2019
Buc-ees really sucks the soul out of you. At first everything was pretty smooth but then you get to know who's in charge of you and how theyre all crooked in some way.
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Wharton, TXFebruary 12, 2019
Good place to work, clear cut rules, 5 minute lunch break, no other breaks, 8 hours a day, start off evening shift then wait to get to move to mornings, good pay, good benefits, good vacation times, now offers 401k. Works great for college students, not so great for parents that need daycare to be able to work due to day care not being open at 4 or 5 am or until 9-10 pm. No discounts on anything
Pros
Great benefits and clear cut rules and shifts
High, but fair, Expectations
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bastrop, TXFebruary 8, 2019
Higher expectations than average retailers. But if you work hard, you will get recognized. The main focus is keeping everything clean and professional.
Not a very healthy work environment
Worker (Former Employee) –  Bastrop, TXJanuary 27, 2019
I have worked for bucees for quite awhile. The coworkers are mostly great, except the ones who constantly snitch to move higher up. They only give 5 measly minutes to eat (maybe 10 if you're lucky on a slow day. Or on busy days maybe not even.) Managers are very clique-y and talk all day and are on their phones quite often even though they are only supposed to for work related items. You cannot eat anything sample wise or you will get fired for sealing even though managers do whenever. Absolutely no sitting either even though you work 8 hours straight (but the managers can in their offices.) Absolutely NO discounts or anything except free drinks while clocked in. (wow a free .79 drink) Customers are almost always horrendous, un-polite, and selfish. I love my coworkers but managers try to fire people just because they don't happen to like them. Almost no job security either. If you are late because of a blown out tire or family emergency you get written up. Is the $12-13 an hour worth your humanity and life?
Pros
none really except your guaranteed 40hrs
Cons
short breaks, terrible managers, bad customers, busy
Food service/ deli
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Bastrop, TXJanuary 18, 2019
Great management, great team, Bucees is an absolute great place to work. There is always a positive attitude between co workers and the management. You want a great work place this is where you wanna go.
Pros
Great management, great team, fast paced
Cons
Could use a little more money
Overall good work environment
Food Service Member (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 14, 2019
I was in first shift which was the best shift if you ever want to have a life. You have to wear the uniform shirt they sell(yes you have to buy your own uniform shirt from them only). Unless you get promoted to a higher position, they will never raise your pay. The people are great and the managers are nice and fair for the most part(some of them played favorites). Good job if you want a quick check but I wouldn't count on this for long term unless you are trying to move up in this company
Pros
good pay, steady hours, good management
Cons
no breaks, no pay raise, no discounts
Fast phase enviroment, no brakes at all even in a 10 hour shift, no lunch, no brake times !
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 14, 2019
Had fun Working o/n shift,
some great co-workers,
some lazy 1s ,
mngr has poor judgement of character,
no people skills,,
no management material!.
Pros
pay better than average !
Cons
Management poor lack of judjement, when it comes to working issues eith hard working employess who get fires, yet bad lazy employess stay working sbd doing whatever they want !
slave labor, enough said.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 14, 2019
You pay 15 for the shirt only hats provided,5-minute break standing,pay for your meals, cell phone use automatic termination Worked like slave here!!!
Pros
Cons
Slave labor, no brakes, no discounts, pay $15 for the uniform, 3 terminations you're fired, cell phone use prohibited, poor management
This Location Sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXJanuary 9, 2019
The managers seem nice to start out, but as soon as you're about a month in, things get insane. You're not allowed to have your cellphone at all during your shift. One gets 7 minutes for lunch (if someone takes too long, they can be written up.) If you're so much as one minute late, even with an excuse, you're written up. When I was having car issues, and I showed receipts for all of the work I needed to have done to make my car drivable, I was still written up.

Management was terrible, if you so much as stop to check on ANYTHING that isn't what you were assigned to do (I was on cash register, but so help me if I had to go take a drink because I was coughing up a lung) you were scolded and threatened with a write up. Sick days are also a hassle, the managers will make you feel like garbage about having to call in for being sick, they expect you in the building and clocked in 5 minutes before your shift starts.

Overall, the Temple Location is absolutely terrible and I wouldn't wish that place on my worst enemy.
Pros
Pay
Cons
management, no lunch break, no discounts

Want to know more about Buc-ee's?

Ask a question
Not worth it
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Bastrop, TXJanuary 4, 2019
Working at Buc-ee's may seem like a good idea because of the pay, but I can guarantee it won't be worth it for you in the long term. First off management is horrible being both incompetent and playing favorites. There's no job security and next to no benifets and even longtime employees can be fired for the dumbest reasons. The other thing I've noticed is you'll most likely be yelled at within your first week working there several employees in multiple departments have gone home crying because of the overly agressive management style. One last thing to look out for is your schedule it can change at any moment and several employees have lost their jobs because overnight schedule changes.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, no breaks, treats employees poorly
If you need the money, go for it. Otherwise stay away
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waller, TXJanuary 4, 2019
The compensation is excellent for what it is: $13 to be a cashier is great. But at what expense?
- With your 8ish hour shift, you only get 10 minutes as your "moment" which is both your lunch and your break. Nothing else, besides your restroom breaks which you can't take if someone in your shift is on their moment.
- If those 10 minutes are your lunch, think how fast your have to eat to consume enough to be satisfied and not be hungry. This will take a toll on your digestion short term or in the long run.
- You're on your feet the entire shift... You can't even sit for your "moment" which is likely your lunch. The restroom is the only place you can sit. This is especially hard of you're overweight; it will take a toll on your knees & feet.
- Expect to have close to no social life. You will work weekends. You will work holidays.
- All new employees start at the 2p-10p shift if you want the day shift. That is a terrible schedule for a family where the other spouse works regular hours and if your kids go to school, you will hardly see them. You can eventually move to an earlier shift, but that depends on availability and if they consider you a good employee. People that have been there longer get priority... so it can be weeks, months, who knows til you get the shift you want.
- Super micro-managed in every sense. You're just a number, not a human to this company. You always have to be in dress code, no exceptions. You can't be 1 minute late. You are always watched and listened to... there's cameras everywhere and I believe microphones at every register, for sure in
  more... some.
- You can't have your cell phone on you at all... if you're seen with it you can be terminated on the spot. This was one of the toughest for me because I have a kid I wanted to make sure I could check up on throughout the day and wanted to be able to get a hold of in case of an emergency. But you're expected to give out a number they have for employees in case of an emergency. If your family loses that direct number and they need to get a hold of you, they're SOL because you don't have your phone on you and the Google number does not go to the store... or to anyone. That Google # is automated.
- Expect to work outside the scope of being a cashier. You will clean, stock, and do little daily chores.
- There's room for growth within the company. If you're a good employee, you can become team lead. If you develop friendships, you'd have to cut those off as you're promoted. I guess the mentality is you can't be friends with your subordinates... not even outside of work.
- Management is wonky. There were several inconsistencies with information passed on. I would be told to do something one way by one manager then get told to do it another way by another manager. I always went by what the highest rank person told me.
- As an employee, you park far and will mostly walk out by yourself at night because although shifts end around the same time, due to the time next person to use the resister comes in and due to how long it takes you to close your register, no one really gets out at the same time. So that's something to consider and if you get hired on keep in mind to just look out when you're shift is over.
- This is the type of place where "the costumer is always right" so expect to be treated like so. It's a retail job and many customers are extremely rude and think they're better than you because they're on the other side of that counter.
Pros
Great benefits, high pay for cashiering.
Cons
The list above.
Not an ideal place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Eagle Lake, TXJanuary 3, 2019
Buc-ee's is really only a job to "get you by". I would NEVER recommend this as a long-term career choice. The GM I worked for was extremely rude, had no filter and talked to employee's however she felt like. If that meant cussing at you in front of everyone or calling you stupid, she would. You only get a measly 5 minute break and you don't sit. The schedule I worked didn't allow me to have any weekends off so that was another downside. The employees I worked side-by-side with were awesome and made work bearable. This business cares about money and not about you.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Poor management/corporation, 5 minute break, lack of empathy
Only if you need the money
Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXDecember 31, 2018
Start off relaxed and as the gets going it gets very busy. People skills is a must. The deli food service manager is very new and don't have a clue. The pay is the best part of the job.
Good pay, good benefits, good hours for employees
Car wash attendant (Former Employee) –  Lake Jackson, TXDecember 22, 2018
A typical day at the Bucees Car Wash is get there in the morning open up the Car Wash Test the car wash to make sure that all the brushes and water jets are working properly. Next you go out and sweep the parking lot and vacuum stations for trash or dirt and get the blower that mowers use to blow leaves and grass out of the parking lot. What I learned there is how to work hard and see how it pays off by the end of the day, because it is always busy there. The management could be better in helping us understand what his potential goals are and to help teach us how to do things if they break in the future vs. just letting us watch him do it. Bucees workplace culture is very much work based. You always need to keep yourself busy doing something otherwise you are wasting their time. The hardest part of the job is finding things to do all the time, unless you ask around from the people who work there before. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the crew there, my assistant manager. He knows how to do a lot of things there!
Pros
Benefits, pay, and Paid time off.
Cons
No breaks, management needs to just learn how to not be scared all the time. Things are fine
Managment is horrible
Deil clerk (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXDecember 18, 2018
standing all day with a 5 min moment to eat. unsympathetic management, no compassion. Favoritism happens. If you are injured on the job they will find a way to fire you.
Pros
free drinks while on clock
Cons
bad managers
Productive and Diverse place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXDecember 6, 2018
Overall the time i spent working at Buc-ee's i learned something new everyday and showed up willing to work my scheduled hours with no issues. If I could I would definitley go back to work for them again.
It was a great place to work, it got crazy at times.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXDecember 4, 2018
A typical day of work would be cleaning the windows, making sure everything is clean for the customers walking in. Making sure you are greeting them always.
Pros
Making new friends
Cons
Short breaks
Not so good place to work
Gift Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXNovember 27, 2018
If you are willing to go to work and get yelled at the whole time you are there then this would be the perfect job. If you were done cleaning your section then they wanted you to re clean it again and again until you had a customer walk in there or your shift was up.
Very fast paced fun place to work.
TL maintenance bucees (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXNovember 26, 2018
Be on time
Work hard
Respect each other
Listen to your managers
Always be willing to learn and pay attention and you will get noticed and will be looked at in a good way.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Buc-ee's. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight