BUCKELEW PROGRAMS Employee Reviews

Unorganized
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Novato, CASeptember 29, 2019
The company is very unorganized and unprofessional. The manager was very unfriendly. She treated me like I didn't exist. Several times there was no one in the reception area and I had to try to track down someone just to contact the person that I was meeting with.
Good managers were put off
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CASeptember 12, 2019
My colleagues were wonderful, though some in other departments didn’t pull their weight. The company struggled to retain good managers while I was there.
Good company to work for
part time House Manager (Former Employee) –  Napa, CASeptember 8, 2019
In 2006 ,I was hired as a relief house manager assisting residents with their medications and meals. I worked a total of 20 hours per week which included sleeping one night. I given health benefits . I liked the people I worked for and was waiting for a full time position to come available but left for a full time position elsewhere.
Benefits
Cons
None specified
Great people to work with and poor management
Mental Health Rehabilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CASeptember 5, 2019
Great work will be done here by great people. Management has been there forever and could use a fresh set of skills. Jobs and Salary heavily rely on County contract negotiations.
Unsupportive and exploitive, toxic work environment.
mental health counselor, addiction focus (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAMay 24, 2019
Being on the swing shift meant that most day resource staff were exhausted, resentful and/or unavailable when their help/input was critically needed.
All- staff meetings were offered every one to two months so cross shift team rapport was LOW.
Pros
Dog friendly
Cons
No effective supervision of the supervisor.
Great work environment with the opportunity to help individuals
Senior Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAApril 27, 2019
Buckelew Programs offers various jobs that allow for growth and job satisfaction. Management is hands off, and collaborative. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement, and the benefits are excellent!
Pros
great benefits
Cons
lots of physical work at times
It was a training program
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAFebruary 28, 2019
I gained clerical skill, which prepared me to get a job in the clerical field. I was able to learned the Microsoft Office skills. Overall, my knowledge in the clerical field has increased.
Toxic, Disorganized & Unprofessional
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAFebruary 8, 2019
Working at Buckelew was disappointing. For an organization that is mostly ran by therapists and mental health professionals there is alot of behavior that causes anxiety, stress and high turn over in positions. In short the department I worked in was a very toxic work environment. The Manager was disorganized, constantly losing paperwork and information, and was my superior, but didn't have a degree in mental health. I witnessed constant harassment, lack of training and people quitting left and right. They bait you with false quotes of salary, opportunities for growth and support... and instead deliver in stress, lack of support and training, hostility towards employees and low salary.

There are many dedicated and genuine people working for the company, but they are most often dismissed and overworked. Good people quit all the time, at Buckelew, unfortunately. Hopefully, the good people there will make the changes necessary to keep the program current and relevant.
Pros
working in the field i enjoy
Cons
Hostile work environment, poor salary, lack of training, lack of support, lack of opportunity
Buckelew is Amazing
Program Director (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CADecember 21, 2018
Buckelew is an amazing organization to work for. They are mission driven, dedicated to clients, and grassroots standing in the community. This organization is truly embraces community integration with clients, cost savings to the taxpayers, and proving innovative interventions to clients.
Pros
Opportunities for travel and trainings
Cons
limited salaries and opportunity to promote within agency
Mission driven non-profit
Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CADecember 20, 2018
Buckelew Programs helps people with behavioral health challenges lead healthier, more independent lives by providing treatment tailored to their unique needs. Staff are dedicated professionals who live the mission. Compensation is comparable in the non-profit sector with excellent benefits.
Pros
Excellent benefit package, community dedication
Cons
Salary increases
Detox Counselor is a very stressful job
Detox Counselor II (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CADecember 17, 2018
I lasted 10 months working 24-40 hrs a week at the Vine. As an experienced AOD Counselor (residential, OP, in-custody), I found working at the Vine very unsatisfying. The work pace is relentless and the main goal of management is to keep the facilities beds full. As such very little "counseling" is done by the Staff because you are so busy doing intakes, discharge's and dispensing medication. The Clients are demanding, ungrateful, in denial and come back over and over again (4X a month is not uncommon). The pace of the work and the demands are not worth the salary. Buckelew the parent organization offers no vacation time for PT folks and they pay nothing extra for working holidays. What I did enjoy were my co-workers who were as dedicated, hilarious and overworked as I was. I quit because the stress level just became too great and I would not work there again,
Pros
awesome co-workers, paid lunch hour
Cons
workload, benefits, demanding management
I worked a temporary job
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CANovember 5, 2018
I enjoyed working here with the people I worked with. I only worked part time and don't know about the overall culture or other info about the company.
Loved it
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CASeptember 14, 2018
I liked working there if you could call it that, it never felt like work and management was great. I learned a lot about how to quickly vacuum, sweep and mop as well as how to load supplies into a vehicle
Pros
Enjoyable work environment
Cons
less work hours then i would have liked
good entry level
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ross, CAMarch 28, 2018
Employees need more support with work load and support from the higher management. I worked in a newer program so there is room for development still
Calm and helpful environment that is consistently moving.
Administrative Assistant/ Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 25, 2018
a very selfless work environment that puts its clients and community it serves first. offering departments just as employment job coaching, family services in navigation and housing. all for the needs of those who live with mental illnesses or substance dependency as well as their families, friends or allies.
The organization has a great mission and has made changes to better support it.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAOctober 25, 2017
Although the agency is going through a transition, the recent organizational changes allow the Buckelew Programs to better support its mission, has strengthened relationships with funders, and is setting the agency up to handle industry changes.
Pros
Excellent PTO
Fulfilling environment
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAFebruary 5, 2017
Worked with long tenured staff who were passionate about client services. The staff truly give their all to the programs and the well being of their clients.
Office Training
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 8, 2017
I did an office training program that leads to employment. I decided to put off work at that time because of high demands of the job and prior commitments. I think it was a good learning experience for using office skills for a job.
Outgoing group of people, Great vibes, Fun workplace, Real clientele connection, Relaxed atmosphere.
Office Intern (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CADecember 31, 2016
I had a great boss. My boss was understanding and very friendly. The hours and location was ideal. The pay was great. I had a great experience with both the clientele and staff.
Pros
Everyone was friendly and the location was nearby.
Cons
I wanted more hours.
over-all a good non-profit
Work Adjustment Counselor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Anselmo, CAJanuary 8, 2015
My days were spend training several clients on job skills.

I also looked for new teaching resources

hardest part was scheduling clients

most rewarding was watching clients succeed
Pros
always rewarding work
Cons
keeping program full

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BUCKELEW PROGRAMS. Our community is ready to answer.

BUCKELEW PROGRAMS Reviews by Location