Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Welcoming place to work
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 18, 2018
The staff is warm and welcoming. Great atmosphere to work. They use the oral approach method to teach students who are deaf and hard of hearing. The staff is knowledgeable and empathetic towards students with hearing losses.
Mean employees, unfair pay practices
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 9, 2017
My review applies to the administrative portion of the company.

The hours are typical, 8-4:30 M-F. Pay is probably average for the area and the type of work. Benefits were really good - lots of paid time off, health/dental insurance, 401k.

Work environment is pretty hostile - lots of cliques and people talking about others. Management made promises that weren't followed through. People who kiss management's butt are promoted no matter how inept at their job and people who are outspoken get fired for no reason. Pay is highly inconsistent - $6 or more difference in pay for the same position regardless of time with company and/or education.

The company itself has a great mission and helps the community a lot with the services they provide.
Pros
Good benefits, good for the community
Cons
Unethical pay practices, hostile work environment
Good place with a good heart but lacking in future outlook
IT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 10, 2013
I was told once that "working for non-profits doesn't pay well, but you'll sleep easier at night". For the most part that was true, until I realized that sleep is a lot easier when you can afford the roof over your head. Unfortunately, at BHSC the only way to make more money is through advancement and very few who have advanced ever leave.

I was able to look past this for most of my time there because my co-workers were some of the nicest, kindest people I'd ever met. As time wore on, however, I began to realize that the lack of upward mobility was stifling my career and a move would need to be made.

I feel BHSC would be best served by breaking from it's painfully conservative business model, even minutely, and embracing a more fluid and dynamic model that encompasses and promotes change and growth, on both the personal and enterprise levels. When it comes to it's human resources and management, they already do a lot to boost morale and it is true that while other area NFP's have fallen over the years, BHSC's conservative approach has served them well. However, I could feel the seeds of dissent growing even as I stepped out the doors for the last time and that was the reason.
Pros
The people, the goal, the proximity to great restaurants
Cons
Little to no advancement, low rate of pay, so-so benefits
Takes you to a happy place
Clinic Aide (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 2, 2013
This is a great place to work. The company has high values and tries to maintain them at all times.

Want to know more about Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center Reviews by Location