Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center Employee Review

View all Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center reviews

Good place with a good heart but lacking in future outlook
IT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 10, 2013
I was told once that "working for non-profits doesn't pay well, but you'll sleep easier at night". For the most part that was true, until I realized that sleep is a lot easier when you can afford the roof over your head. Unfortunately, at BHSC the only way to make more money is through advancement and very few who have advanced ever leave.

I was able to look past this for most of my time there because my co-workers were some of the nicest, kindest people I'd ever met. As time wore on, however, I began to realize that the lack of upward mobility was stifling my career and a move would need to be made.

I feel BHSC would be best served by breaking from it's painfully conservative business model, even minutely, and embracing a more fluid and dynamic model that encompasses and promotes change and growth, on both the personal and enterprise levels. When it comes to it's human resources and management, they already do a lot to boost morale and it is true that while other area NFP's have fallen over the years, BHSC's conservative approach has served them well. However, I could feel the seeds of dissent growing even as I stepped out the doors for the last time and that was the reason.
Pros
The people, the goal, the proximity to great restaurants
Cons
Little to no advancement, low rate of pay, so-so benefits

Other Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center Employee Reviews

Welcoming place to work
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 18, 2018
The staff is warm and welcoming. Great atmosphere to work. They use the oral approach method to teach students who are deaf and hard of hearing. The staff is knowledgeable and empathetic towards students with hearing losses.
management not great
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 1, 2018
Doesn't pay well but has good benefits. Management can be egotistical and unreasonable. It does have a decent sense of community. Support departments can be catty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center Reviews by Location