Buffalo Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Working with professional.
Interpreter and Instructor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 14, 2018
I did volunteer work at Buffalo Public schools. It was not a paying job. I was happy working with different kind of people from different part of the world.
Pros
learning new experiences.
Cons
No breaks
Easy going but can be stressful
Jantorial Services at BPS #43 (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 9, 2018
The schools are easy going but can be stressful who aren’t used being treated like a maid or a peasant in a workplace. Other then the that and low paying wages everything else about the job is great.
Pros
Free lunch and health care
Cons
Low compensation
Schools in general
Certified NYS Teaching Assistant (TA) Retired (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 19, 2018
Although the benefits are great, the overall system in today's schools are broken and do not allow teachers and staff to do the best job possible. Everything is in favor of students whether they are right or wrong. Teachers have to worry about every word and action they take.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
broken system
productive and fun
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 24, 2017
I have good classroom management some days my job can be very streeful I really enjoy watching the kids learn new things the hardest part of my job is getting to know each child
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Pay rate
interesting
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 20, 2017
everyday is a different experience. decent place to work. many different opportunities at all of the schools. i would recommend this to someone who is just starting out.
A Day in the Life
Supervisor of Music (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NY 14204October 17, 2017
I'm going to leave opinions to those who have had the honor of working for BPS. You're as successful as the efforts you contribute and the lives that you change.
Rewarding Job, Difficult Role
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 15, 2017
Working with the students is rewarding.

$100/day is too little to meet basic necessities like rent, car insurance, car payment, phone lease & payment, internet, groceries, dry-cleaning, gas. Ended up using a cash advance once to pay my bills.

Satisfactory if you can get 2 week and 1 month assignments and have a base school.
Pros
rewarding, fulfilling
Cons
low pay, lack of stability
Good intentions !!
Mentor Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 6, 2017
a very fast moving and confusing place at times
learn to move on
management needs more training
work culture need staff morale to improve
hardest part of job was to trust leaders
most enjoyable was to see students grow and achieve academically
Pros
Student growth
Cons
Trust issues with leaders, Lack of support
Disadvantaged Pupil Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 5, 2017
My health keep me from doing my job, that is why I retired, I was hurt by a student before I retired, this injury will be with me the rest of my life,
Pros
I love the students
I would ot ever send my children to bps.
Certified Teacher Assistant/ (Current Employee) –  buffalo myAugust 29, 2017
I have worked for buffalo public schools for a long time but there is no room for advancement, and I don't. Work summers, due to seniority, I honestly struggle over th summers. My position is a salaried position, we only get paid for 10 months out of the year.
Pros
the benefits
Cons
only working 10 out of 12 months of the year.
I would rather not
Integrated Co-Teacher - grade 5 (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 29, 2017
It didn't work out for me in the building I was in. It is difficult to transfer out until you are tenured, which I was not. Some buildings are run by poor administration and not by people with classroom teaching experience.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Poor Administration
I enjoy when I am with children teaching them
Spanish Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 21, 2017
I learned about what to teach according to the assigned programs. I do not like the lack of values shown by parents and therefore the children in school.
a vocation
Elementary Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 11, 2017
There are so many dedicated, hard-working, caring teachers, staff, and administrators doing their best to help needy, urban students achieve a quality education.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
student behavior issues
Very good
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Erie County, NYAugust 7, 2017
La paga deveria ser semanales y qie no ubiera tantos dias libres
Pros
Cons
Un trabajo juertw pero bueno
Account Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 20, 2017
Dedication to students. I've learned alot. Enjoy working in the schools with the children very much. I've learned all aspects of working in and managing an office, proficient in all office machines, great customer service skills.
Pros
Good Teachers
Cons
Low level students
What I enjoyed about teaching
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 15, 2017
I enjoyed interacting with the students. Working as a middle school teacher stretched me, as I had to always study a little harder in order to stay prepared and have an available wealth of knowledge for the students.
I enjoyed the down time, in which I had the opportunity to prepare lessons, and read up on various topics, prior to presenting a lesson to the students.
The hardest part of the job, was probably having to take work home ( tests, quizzes, and projects), which had to be read, corrected, and of course, I would always write comments about each of the students work.
Another thing which was not a bright spot, was when students were blatantly disrespectful, and cursed in the class, or disregarded the classroom rules. It made for an unfortunate situation for the students who wished to learn.
Pros
Having to do hallway duty and lunch duty was not one of my favorite things as a teacher.
Cons
The pay could have been better.
Overall
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 7, 2017
I enjoy working for the Buffalo Public Schools because of the children. I wouldn't work in any other school district. I look forward every day to come to work and see my kiddos. They are who keeps me going. Unfortunately there are a lot of controversies that surround our district. I am thankful I have a job and am able to work with such appreciative and beautiful children.
Terrible working environment...nonsupportive
Spanish/Italian Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 27, 2017
This is a very difficult environment to work in...working conditions are minimal at best. There is no support for the teachers and the students are easily able to run the school. Teachers face several difficult challenges on a daily basis. It is not a place in which you look forward to going to work.
Pros
health benefits, retirement
Cons
uncontrollable students, no consequences for behavior, no support from administration
Professional environment
Secondary social studies teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 7, 2017
I believe our administration may be overwhelmed with student delinquency and absences. I believe we need to focus more on academic successes as we so often do with our students' athletic achievements. I believe we can do more to tap the minds and intellectual abilities of our students in all learning environments.
Pros
Early breakfasts and healthy lunches.
Cons
Low student motivation.
productive and fun
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 6, 2017
its a good place to start if you would like to impact the lives of children. The district has plenty of growing to do but work must go on to make improvements as much as possible.