Buffalo Public Schools Employee Reviews

Needs more structure
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 28, 2018
The principal pads the statistics by keeping students enrolled that should clearly be suspended. This gives the impression that He is doing his job well when the students that want to learn do not stand a chance.
Great schedule for those with children
Food Service Helper (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 10, 2018
Assist children's and teacher with their daily plans. Help around the classroom and building. Cover any classroom or teacher during the day as needed.
Pros
Vacation along with the children's breaks/vacations
Cons
Need better pay
Good job for people looking to become a teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 31, 2018
The day could be a lot if no work was left for students by teacher. Planning for the day was hard. Never knew if you would have the job you a requested because the building administrator could change things. Sometimes students would miss behave if they were aware of the permanent teachers absence. I enjoyed working with and teaching the students who came to school to learn. I also formed so relationship with students who needed encouragement or empowerment with school or life issues. My heart was happy to see the smiles on students face who were ready and eager to learn. Education is fundamental.
too much drama
Groundskeeper/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, MNAugust 17, 2018
Way too much drama, sometimes we all need to take a step back and assess what is really important, Insurance is good, but expensive. Labor union is weak.
Pros
pay is fair
Cons
health insurance is too expensive
Productive fast paced
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Buffalo public schools school 93July 30, 2018
I love working for the board of education , I enjoy working and helping the children. And also love the people o work with , I would like to receive some heath benefits
Pros
Job stability and union
Cons
No room to grow
The Students
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 12, 2018
I do my job for the students. There are many things wrong with BPS. There are many teachers and MANY administrators who should be disciplined and dismissed and who are instead shuffled around the district and kept at top pay. This is not fair to the kids and definitely is not fair to the staff members who work hard everyday.
Pros
The students
Cons
The teachers who don't belong there and get away with being there.
Working with professional.
Interpreter and Instructor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 14, 2018
I did volunteer work at Buffalo Public schools. It was not a paying job. I was happy working with different kind of people from different part of the world.
Pros
learning new experiences.
Cons
No breaks
Cheerful, hard-working crew
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 13, 2018
I currently work in a Pk-8 public school building with approximately 1200 students. The most enjoyable part of the job are the children. The staff is extremely hard-working and easy going.
Pros
kids, staff, parents
Cons
not enough time in the day
Excellent organization
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 10, 2018
I am grateful to be part of this beautiful family well known as Buffalo Public School. I've learned a bunch of good things in this organization. They treat well the employees and they are very organized.
Easy going but can be stressful
Jantorial Services at BPS #43 (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 9, 2018
The schools are easy going but can be stressful who aren’t used being treated like a maid or a peasant in a workplace. Other then the that and low paying wages everything else about the job is great.
Pros
Free lunch and health care
Cons
Low compensation
Great Job
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 5, 2018
Awesome staff and environment. I learned a great deal from this position and would recommend this organization to those seeking meaningful employment.
Volunteer for after school program
Level 1 Psychosocial Fieldwork- Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 18, 2018
I only attended after school program for the children. I helped kids with their homework and played in the gym. I did not have any benefits or things of that kind because I was only a volunteer.
Good job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 21, 2018
You'll never get rich but will be enriched by working with and for the children. The days can be trying and sometimes long but once you make relationships the time flies.
Schools in general
Certified NYS Teaching Assistant (TA) Retired (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 19, 2018
Although the benefits are great, the overall system in today's schools are broken and do not allow teachers and staff to do the best job possible. Everything is in favor of students whether they are right or wrong. Teachers have to worry about every word and action they take.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
broken system
Classroom Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 23, 2018
I have volunteered at School #99, Makowski for many years. I enjoy the open style classrooms and the energy of the teachers, building wide. I know that these professionals hard for their students, and the students do so in return.
productive and fun
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 24, 2017
I have good classroom management some days my job can be very streeful I really enjoy watching the kids learn new things the hardest part of my job is getting to know each child
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Pay rate
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 21, 2017
I've worked for the Buffalo Board of Education for most of my life. It is a wonderful organization to work for. I've held 6 clerical positions and one first line supervisor's position over the years. It has afforded me a wealth of experience, opportunities, and plenty of growth. The benefits are wonderful.

In my current position as an Administrative Assistant, I answer the telephones, schedule excursions for students attending Buffalo Public Schools, order all supplies and maintenance/service work, process and pays all invoices. update department's web page with scholarship information and employment opportunities for students. Type all documents, including all contracts. Process extra curricular payroll for 80 Guidance Counselors, Administrators and Teachers. Schedule and book venues as necessary. Maintain attendance for students formerly suspended.
Benefits
Cons
There really aren't any
Review summary
General Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 28, 2017
I learned a lot at my current job but I am ready for advancement at this point of my life. The job had great benefits but didn't offer room for pay increase.
Pros
Workplace Culture, Health Care
Cons
No advancements, No pay increase
interesting
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 20, 2017
everyday is a different experience. decent place to work. many different opportunities at all of the schools. i would recommend this to someone who is just starting out.
A Day in the Life
Supervisor of Music (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NY 14204October 17, 2017
I'm going to leave opinions to those who have had the honor of working for BPS. You're as successful as the efforts you contribute and the lives that you change.