Buffalo Urban League

Buffalo Urban League Employee Reviews

I am the founder of a nationally recognized volunteer organization. It is an award winning chapter and helps all people no matter the race. It is all inclusive
I love working at Buffalo Urban league, from feeding homeless people, to landscape work, to food distribution, and even street clean ups. The environment was amazing and the workers are great. It’s a place to work for the people and definitely utilized my leadership skills and made me a better worker.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short breaks
I would like to work at this company because I enjoying packing and it’s some thing new that I would like to do and the hourly pay is good at $15 an hour.
Pros
Getting away from the outside world
Cons
Short breaks
This was the worst job experience I’ve encountered in my life. Managers micro manage employees, no support or value in your work ethic and no respect for family life. The demands are unbelievable, managers expect you to work late hours, weekends and take on other employees job duties. This was a horrible place to work. I’ve became anxious and sick.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Working for Buffalo Urban League I learned to buff floors, work as a team with other coworkers. Nothing about the job was hard because I already had experience
it was a summer job and it was mostly a community type of thing , lots of hard work and hpt summer days. the skills i learned was more conventional then other jobs but its something there for all people and i personally enjoyed my time there
Micromanagers and have terrible work ethic. If you're not part of the cult, your more likely to feel alone. HR does not listen to employees. Uneducated managers with lack of management skills.
Ill say Buffalo Urban League gives you a powerful start on to starting your career . They will guide you in the right direction and they also have good pay.
Pros
Free Food and Good Leadership
Cons
Need more activities
The Buffalo Urban League i feel could improve on the technology with the agency and update the programing used in departments but overall great place to have worked.
Pros
Relax environment
Cons
There is no opportunity for advancement and positions are not based on experience but by favoritism. Your experience doesn't matter! More opportunitiy.
I had fun there and it was something to do to keep me productive and to earn a little pay. The Buffalo Urban League really couldn’t help me though. I listened to their inspiring people they brought to the building to speak to us and that’s kind of helped stir me in the right direction but I knew soon it wouldn’t last. I do recommend the Buffalo Urban League though because for the most part they help the kids do what they have to do and get jobs. They helped me get my learners permit and had me working Summer Youth Jobs through TANIF.
Pros
Free fun dates such as ice cream sundays
Cons
Short hours and doing work after school
This could be a great place sadly there are too many people in the wrong position. Rules are not followed and they have a lot of updating that needs to be done with how they operate.
I found it enlightening especially with the seniors. All programs work together as a family to accomplish the goals and needs for the people in the community.
Pros
a lot of help for the community in all areas
Cons
not enough money to do even more for the community and the employees
Stressful work environment, which contributed to low employee moral. The CEO is a very dishonest person and the agency did not respond to the concerns of employees.
Pros
Supervisor
Cons
Work load
I Learned That You Have To Work For What You Want. I Worked At A Church And Had To Clean. The Best Part Of The Job Is The People I Worked With . There Wasn't Nothing Hard About The Job.
it was productive but hard tasks like gardening out in the sun with only a 10 minute break. if u get a gardening job, its not something u would want. and the hours are only a little bit , the money only a little bit for the hard work you do
Buffalo urber league is a wonder place they help you whatever you need help with dont matter what it is they help you with housing and much more. they not going to turn there backs on you they open there arm up to you they dont shut you out they make you feel welcome.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
My day started with follow up phone calls, court dates, supervision and or home visits, depending on the order of importance and schedule. The families we serviced were mandated to receive preventive services for neglect or abuse. We supervised, supported and provided families with links, services and access to community programs through hands on contact, telephone contact, referrals and other trainings/services like parenting, anger management, home services, mental health services and/or substance abuse. Most contacts were home visits, some were school visits and some were supervised visits with Erie County and or services provided through the League or organizations like Salvation Army.
Very productive kept me very busy with kids ages 5-13. I helped set up for breakfast, then got kids ready to get served for breakfast. Then we split up in groups to do arts and crafts, prayer, yoga then we have outside time that's whatever they want to do at the park come back and work on educational time summer readings and then its nap time. the hardest part was working with such a different age group the younger ones you still have to help use the bathroom where as the older ones can just go. My favorite part was going on field trips almost everyday like the museum and the Erie county fair.
Pros
got to go many different field trips
Cons
short time summer youth job
Micromanagers and have terrible work ethic. Under investigation that has been prolonged for a year with no end in sight.
Cons
Overall not employee based
If you like helping others and feeling like you've done good in the community this is the place for you! The staff is usually very motivated to help the people coming in looking for the resources offered. Like all humanity positions, your pay won't elp in the motivation department, and job security depends on political figures and funding, but they will re-train and reposition you.