Build-A-Bear Workshop Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work. The management team and all associates are very friendly and inviting, and the customers are about the same.
Bear Builder (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 18, 2019
I enjoy what I do and what I have done for the company. The people have kept me going for the longest run and times have been simple. We put smiles on, not just the kids, but the adults too. We're one of the jobs that keep bringing everyone to the mall (Valley View Mall) and its fun working there.
Pros
Friendly staff, feels-like-home atmosphere
Cons
Part time job, and new program for scheduling makes it difficult to plan ahead
It's a great place to work.
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 15, 2019
The job overall is amazing. I love working there and being around the customers. I smile everyday knowing that I made someone happy at my job. It makes me feel satisfied.
Awesome Company
Bear Builder (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 14, 2019
I live my job here. The work is worth it to interact with the families and give them a fun experience. Company does great promotions for each season and holiday. My team is treated fairly and we all get along with one another. Never want to leave.
Good working environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 14, 2019
Build a bear is a good company to work at mainly because the other coworkers and the management create an enjoyable working environment. For a part time employee it’s not very intense on the work load and there is not a big learning curve when using the stuffer.
Fun
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHAugust 14, 2019
I loved working at build a bear. Every one is friendly and very helpful. You can ask any one for help and they'll help you with no problem. They make sure you're comfortable being alone before they let you work by yourself.
Pros
Company lunches, give aways, discounts
Cons
Can't have phone on floor, no music, run out of work sometimes
Poor Experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 12, 2019
Majority of staff were college students, with the exception of my boss and i. It was hard being the same age as all of the employees but not having the same social life due to complications with scheduling.
Light and fun environment
Saleslead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2019
Team is always positive and pleasant. Management team is always willing to help when needed. Stores in the district always super helpful. Workplace always a great place to enter.
Build a bear
Bear Builder (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXAugust 11, 2019
Its a good starter job and if you need a side Job there caring and helpful and really nice co-workers and they take care of there employees all the time.
Pros
Flexible with schedule
Cons
Have to print out your schedule
Build-A-Bear Workshop is the company I've ever worked for!
Assitant Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 9, 2019
Build-A-Bear Workshop is the best company I've ever worked for. Your birthday is considered a holiday and you get it off with pay after you've been with the company for 90 days.
Pros
Very easy to advance
Cons
The pay not as good for crew members. The managers are paid well
Awesome place
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Triadelphia, WVAugust 9, 2019
Loved this job. Great work place. Encouraged team work. Managers supportive. Everyone got along. Seasonal job and would love to do it again. Highly recommend.
super fun, creative job!
Bear Builder/Associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 7, 2019
-perfect for a first job
-very great team at my location
-really fun job! get to work with kids
-the pay for part time is fair and they are flexible with schedule
Great company to work for
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 7, 2019
Great for management and above. Solid hours, benefits, opportunity for advancement. Part time employees may only get 10-12 hours weekly but management gets everything in a good way.
Poor upper management / slow to take action
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNAugust 6, 2019
This job under paid me, but it was at a time where no one really had training. the manager was fighting the DM and structure was nonexistent, and we were short staffed. At a point the DM had been fired for misconduct- not surprised since she used her power to fast track staff she like and others to either fire for no real reason . I just hope it is better now
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYAugust 3, 2019
if you like kids this a cool place to work. Everyone is typically pretty welcoming and the job isnt hard to figure out at all. holidays are busy but its usually laid back
Excellent for Associates, Meh for Managers
Sales Lead Manager/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAAugust 1, 2019
On an associate level, working at BAB is great. Even though it does not seem like it, there are plenty of customer service and retail skills that can be learned and developed here. A few of my former managers were great at encouraging, motivating, and teaching associates, and the because company prefers to promote from within, there will be opportunities to move up within the company as long as you're good at your job, know how to make sales, and possess leadership qualities or potential.

It's definitely a fun work environment at first, but once the spark dies down it's hard to stay motivated. Thankfully I enjoyed working with my co-workers enough to stay there for a while.

I definitely gained a ton of valuable experience as a sales lead, but the pay is not quite worth it. You'll be given significantly more responsibility and hours which is nice, but there's definitely a lot of pressure to meet certain performance or sales goals that ultimately wasn't worth the pay for me.

For associates, the pay is somewhat low (still better than minimum wage), but due to so many payroll issues, hours are usually distributed around 8-15 hours for associates and 18-30 hours for sales leads.
Pros
can be fun, tons of skill-building opportunities and possible leadership experience
Cons
short breaks, low hours, low pay
Management is incompetent.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 30, 2019
I loved the actual job, but management doesn't care. The main manager flat out admitted he hated children. He treated customers horribly. I witnessed him sexually harassing members of his team and he personally discriminated against me. I went to corporate and no action was taken. The business is ultimately going to fail.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Horrible management
Great Place To Work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 30, 2019
Great place to work! There is a ton of room to work and more positive people around than at most jobs. They promote from within and recognize hard work!
I LOVE this place
Bear Builder (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 26, 2019
I’ve always wanted to work with kids and my manager pulled me out of a terrible job, and hired me though I had no retail experience prior. This place allowed me to stay happy while I worked, even when it got busy. I never feel stressed working, it feels like more fun than a job. I wish they had more locations to where I was moving, but I love that I have the ability to still pick up shifts here and there to see my amazinf co-workers
Pros
Everything else is amazing
Cons
Pay, and Cleaning up urine from children
A really fun place to work- terrible corporate model.
Bear Builder (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTJuly 25, 2019
The goal of Build a Bear is to sell sell sell. You must shove this into their hands- you have to offer things in a certain order. It can make interactions with customers really ingenuine. If I were shopping, and an employee came up and was in my face like I was expected to be, I would be incredibly uncomfortable.
That being said, I really enjoy the people I work with. My managers were all super nice and we are able to have a lot of fun.
The few problems I have with the company are major ones. The pay is definitely not high enough, and if the store isn't busy at all, you get hours cut. I could be scheduled for 20 hours in a week, but only end up working 14. You get told not to come in, you get sent home early. It's incredibly frustrating.
Amazing place to work
Bear Builder (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 23, 2019
This is a job for you if you enjoy bringing joy into peoples lives.
There is so much more that you can take with you aside from the normal retail functions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Build-A-Bear Workshop. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Build-A-Bear Workshop.

Powered by Comparably