Builders FirstSource Employee Reviews

enjoyable place to work
Production Foreman (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 16, 2018
overall a good company to work for. I have enjoyed my time here with the company and have appreciated the opportunities I have been given. My co-workers have been great to work with.
Fun workplace
Truck Delivering Material (Current Employee) –  Irving txOctober 15, 2018
Its nice to be in a truck but once you got to the warehouse it was very unorganized and all put on the drivers if things did not go correctly. No advancements in the company at all
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
High expectations with low pay
Bad training and lies
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Sherman TXOctober 14, 2018
If you speak English you'll have a Spanish trainer so no communication. Told to put in my 2 weeks and come in on a specific date and got fired after a week because they are overstaffed. They should have told me the truth about being overstaffed so I wouldn't have left my old job so now I'm unemployed.
Pros
Good safety instructor
Cons
Paired with people of other languages so false communication, hired on and they told me they were overstaffed after a week and fired me, only one 30 minute lunch break
Great place to work but limited advancement
Engineered Components Technician II (Current Employee) –  Pooler, GAOctober 11, 2018
The lumber industry is face paced and very competitive and the work is often very stressful. There is limited opportunity for advancement in the location that I work at and this may cause most people to look for work eslewhere
Benefits
Cons
No room for advancement
Treat workers like nothing
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tappahannock, VaOctober 11, 2018
One of the worst jobs to work for. The harder you work the more you have to take. I feel sorry for some of those guys out there. I hate to say it but if you aren't in the office you will not get far in the company. if you are a man of color well you wont stand a chance in that hole and ive seen this with my own eyes. What ever happend to equal opportunity? Fellers get out of there while you can
Pros
Ok benefits
Cons
No appreciation
Great company to work for!!
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, TNOctober 10, 2018
they gave me a chance with no degree unlike everywhere else I tried. Through my years here I have moved up in positions with the company. They are flexible with your schedule as long as you don't take advantage of them. Working here gave me a lot of experience in several areas and helped me decide on what I want to do as a career.
Pros
Flexible and Advancement in the Company
Cons
It’s a nice place to work
Driver Helper/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 9, 2018
I loved working there but wasn’t worth the money and no benefits. Job starts at 6:30 ends at 3:00, some days we might have to stay longer until the job is do d
fast paced place
Warehouse Loader/Dock Supervisor (Former Employee) –  shertz texasOctober 9, 2018
dock manager, forklift driver, truck checker, deliveries, help out he production manger and dispatch,some times acting supervisor. Trucks had to be completely loaded and checked the day before so the drivers could get there early the next day and leave on time. A typical work da for me was 6 am till sometimes 9 pm .
Pros
good pay
Cons
Good company to work for
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  NJOctober 8, 2018
They have good management, aren't afraid to invest money to improve operations or sales, and have great benefits. The people there were the best part of the job.
great experience
Laborer (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 3, 2018
one of the best jobs I ever had wish I could of stayed longer but I had to relocate to pa because that's where my wife and kids stay. I would recommend builders to anyone looking to get on their feet
Pros
your boss
Cons
the slow days
Disjointed leadership and mission
Sales (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 2, 2018
BFS shows little interest for the people in our division. From the moment they bought out ProBuild they made it clear that they bought ProBuild and that things were going to be done their way without much input from the people in our division. They are running our division into the ground and may good people have left and will continue to leave.
Pros
The compensation is good.
Cons
No future or room for advancement.
great place
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCOctober 2, 2018
I loved the job I had. The only reason I left was because my manager at the time that it would be better for me to be laid off since the building industry was at a low.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Grear place to work for; poor management.
Staker/forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Buda, TXSeptember 26, 2018
If your a U.S.citizen you basically just have job security.... Mexican origin /Spanish speaking will always advance,with or with out knowledge of the trade. Supervisors"no speaky english," all related,and if you're an independent thinker/or speak your mind in the right or wrong of things,you're a threat.jay stocker is a see out to his COUNTRY !!!! Upon hire via temp.sevice they warn you of the Mexican/Spanish "click" there.
Pros
Great place to learn; upon yourself.
Cons
U.S citizens;no advanment on floor
Builders FirstSource
Outside Sales in Training (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 26, 2018
I have enjoyed my time working with Builders FirstSource and I believe I can succeed here. However, success is very much dependent on experience on actually building houses, which I do not have. They have done a very good job training me the best they can at a very fast rate and I am still barely scratching the surface.
Pros
The people
Cons
The amount of background knowledge required for success
No choice but to put up with people and things
Assembler (Former Employee) –  SLC, UTSeptember 25, 2018
Our work schedule was Monday to Thursday the first week, The second week would be Monday to Friday. Everyday we work 13 hours. After I got hired I was still working at 14$ an hour even though after you get hired you get a raise. All the other workers got raises except me but I didn't complain about it. I worked harder, I knew how to work in other areas but the workers who got hired and raised didn't know how to work in certain areas or would complain. I felt like I wasn't being treated fairly. I only got 1 write up and then I was fired, for no reason at all. They fired me and blamed me for something that I didn't even do. I worked as a production assembler and I loved it but I wouldn't recommend any of my friends to work here. It's hard work and you only level up it you kiss up to the bosses. The only good part was 30 mins of lunch and then two 15 min breaks in between hours.
Pros
lunch and breaks
Cons
favoritism, low pay
Low Wages
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Berlin, NJSeptember 25, 2018
They don't pay well or care about their employees. They lay people off and hire temporary worker to replace them constantly. Managers tell you you'll get a raise and advance quickly to get you in the door but never follow through.
Enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 25, 2018
Former employee-

I don't recommend this company to work at the environment is not good. Team members are very rude. Management is not around to see what goes on.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Team members are very rude
productive workplace
Machine Operator/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Loris, SCSeptember 24, 2018
clock in , have meeting the go to your work space and start your assignments. its a good place to work if you like working in construction.friendly co-workers , you have your own space to work in.
Pros
work at your own pace
Cons
shorts breaks
Buen ambiente laboral ..y buen descanso
Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2018
Es muy interesante trabajar aquí y además es muy flexible el horario
Pros
Bien ambiente laborar
Cons
Falta de aire acondicionado
it takes a toll on your body.
yard worker (Current Employee) –  McMinnville, ORSeptember 20, 2018
good place to work if you enjoy being active; forklift does most of the work. It can get slow. on certain seasons that's when you end up in the yard stacking lumber for it to look presentable for customers coming in. This is what kills your arms and back over a period of time.

Newbies will have your pick up others slack because they've been their longer and are in a limbo state of wanting to retire without having to manage or take on responsibility

get along with your co workers, because if you don't they will send you to deliver heavy items by yourself ie. Sliding Glass doors. When you should have a second pair of hands to save your back from serious injuries, while Favored delivery drivers will get all the help they need.
Pros
Depends on the work and the co workers
Cons
favoritism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Builders FirstSource. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight