Builders FirstSource Employee Reviews

Quiet and employee friendly environment
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 18, 2019
I typically enjoys working for the company except the training is not a plus. Training is lacking within this company. I think learning the processing is the hardest for the dept. I was in.
Remote Truss Designer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 14, 2019
Overall a good company to work for with good management, except for a few negative managers. Most salesmen have good communications, some did not. Design team with veteran members readily willing to help each other out & share valuable information to advance company.
Overall great company that needs improvements to show increase morale!
AP Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 9, 2019
I worked at BFS for over 2 years and I will give my honest personal review about this company.

There have been massive changes going on within BFS since the time I was hired. For starters, I was hired for a particular position that was agreed upon by me and the management at the time of hire, but once the new director came on I was basically demoted. I was told there was a new vision that he's wanting to send the company so my title was changed despite my skill set. It was a blow since I left my last job early and at the last minute to take a great position that I thought would allow me to grow, but now I'm doing work that doesn't fit my skill set at all. Actually, the work I'm doing, I learned working in highschool. BFS can be a great company to work for if you're just looking for a job with no immediate desire for advancement or if need something that will allow you to go to school and/or work on your own business.

The pay is not bad. It averages $18 - 22/hr for AP/AR roles. however, I know some lower titles receive $16/hr. Benefits can run you about $70 every 2 weeks for healthcare and dental not including Short/Long Term Disability. The company offer you around the amount of your salary for Life Insurance so most opt in to pay for extra coverage. The commute to work can cost you too. AS employees in downtown Dallas we have to pay for parking starting at $48 - $80 every 2 weeks or purchase a monthly bus pass for $50(If you're on bus line). most companies I worked for in the past covered the parking issues for their staff, but the amount we pay is a discount price
  more... that BFS was able to receive from the local parking company. Even though the pay is better than most, the high amount employees spend on benefits and parking makes the pay average if not less. Also, It would be nice if bonuses were given out to staff versus upper management. Some of us that started a couple years ago had to endure many hours of overtime to help out with work. I know some consider that a bonus, but sometimes we couldn't do our work without the OT. We just wanted to go home and be with our families. Also there is no tuition reimbursement for staff or specialize job training for employees. We have excel classes a couple times thorough the year and training about customer service, but that is something you can learn anywhere.

These pass couple months have been really tough for some with micro management. Its almost like once we acquired the new companies everything settled and things started changing. For example, were not allowed to have phones out on our desk. I know a couple people watching moves cause the problem, but some of us feel that the staff should have went to them personally versus punishing everyone. This feels like school. I never worked for a company that did this other than government positions and customer service. We're unable to go on break or lunch without putting up a break sign and we can't stand up for more than 1 minute to hold a quick conversation with our co-workers. Another thing I have a problem with is that management is always gone to meetings. I mean every day and almost every hour their gone.

With all the new changes and my mini demotion, I'm looking to leave for something with less micro managing, better benefits and a position that I really will allow me to utilize my extensive skill set.
Pros
Pay better than most, Flexible Hours, Free Meals Every Month, Department Wide Activities, Management Love Feedback From Staff
Cons
Micro Management, Pay for Parking & Bus Passes, Frequent Title Changes/ Responsibility Changes, Management Always Gone
Company ran by liars
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAJanuary 9, 2019
I went in thinking i would be making 13-15$ an hour because thats what the application said. That was a lie. I made 11$ an hour to pick up 200-300 lb trusses. At any other job theyd used equipment to move them, but this place is ran by idiots. If you work here you will hurt your back for no pay, and theres no benifits to help you out either. While we were being interviewed they said they had around 30-50 workers hired every week. Well theres only about 50 positions in the shop and 3 shifts so its pretty obvious its a garbage company when theyre losing a third of the workers every week.
Pros
Cons
Pay, stupid managment, back breaking labor
Poor management and treat employees like Dirt!
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  North East, MDJanuary 9, 2019
Worked there for two years! Management sucks ! There is no backbone to support the workforce! What who's that on there 90% of them are either criminals on work-release, or drug addict! And that is including the management. the one in charge of the shipping and receiving, PJ , is an alcoholic ! He blows up at the very first person that sneezes!
They are a company that does not affect their employees whatsoever. I would never recommend anyone to work for them!
Pros
None!
Cons
There three months, ask yourself, what was I thinking !
Below average money for very stressful job
Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cibolo, TexasJanuary 8, 2019
Never knew how long the workday would be.
Always being threaten with job.
Having to “figure it out” on your own, no real training on equipment.
No one listened.
Pros
Discount on lumber, cheap insurance
Cons
Entry level and no experience employees.
Constant Change and Bad Company Culture Led by Fear
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 8, 2019
Too much to disclose on this organization's dysfunction however I worked for ProBuild prior to BFS. I would not recommend this company to the management under ProBuild but I think most of those people are no longer with the company.
ok
Table Lead / Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 8, 2019
to many druggies work there i had to save more life's from ods then actually work at night and none of the supervise know what there doing and they pay the lowest in there industry
Very good place to work with awesome people
Yard worker (Former Employee) –  Seaside, ORJanuary 8, 2019
Very good place to work with awesome people. I worked at the seaside branch in Oregon and worked in the yard as a forklift operator, it was a good experience for me and I would recommend it to anyone!
Work slow down in the winter
Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 3, 2019
Poor management
Cut throat
Lack of advancement
Lack of training.
Equipment is out of dated
Management is disrespectful
Lumber Supervisor is disrespectful
Pros
Free lunch one month
Cons
Run away
Good job to have
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Loris, SCJanuary 1, 2019
I was a truck driver charged with the safe transportation and delivery of roof and floor trusses. It is a fast-paced job because generally, you have to deliver two loads per day.
Pros
Weekends off, paid time off
Cons
Fast-paced job so it requires stamina.
Good place to start
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 16, 2018
Its a good place to start working but they do have a downside most superior play favorites. Its a fast pace work environment most Spanish speaking more the time.
long days working in all weather
LEAD STACKER (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 14, 2018
I would say a good place just to get experience or if you are desperate for a job. I wouldn't stay long term. No advancement, okay pay and long days. You work 5am to 3:30 pm, sometimes longer. During most of the year you will work Saturdays as well. They don't have a dedicated training course, you are put out of the floor or out in the yard to shadow someone.
Pros
experience, learning new skills
Cons
short breaks, busy, long days
The job was great but
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77041December 14, 2018
The hardest part about the job was the location it was far and hard to maintain a decent on time report due to distance for lunch and coming into and leaving work.
Fun atmosphere, Friendly Coworkers
Forklift Driver Door Assembler (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GADecember 11, 2018
I would definitely work for this company again if I had the chance. A typical workday is very laid back, everyone is informed on what to do, and everyone for the most part is ready to start the day with a good attitude and excellent work ethic.
Pros
Easy pace, properly trained
Cons
Few bad managers like any job, stay out the way no problem
Decent organization and benefits
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIDecember 7, 2018
As long as you did your job well you would be paid accordingly but lacked flexibility or creative thinking to look outside box to generate more and new sales.
Very good atmosphere
Framing Foreman (Former Employee) –  Apex, NCDecember 6, 2018
I worked here for 1 year and even tho at the beginning it was difficult, i learned and moved from position to position learning everything i was asked to do. I was assigned a task and i completed it with no hassle and at my own pace. It was very good and i enjoyed it
Pros
Flexible hours. Good management, friendly staff
Cons
Low salary
A lot of freedom in setting up your on work flow.
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALDecember 3, 2018
There were a lot of fun people to work with but some of the clients were difficult. At times it did not feel as though management had your back. Over all I learned a great deal and enjoyed my time while I was there.
Pros
Work from home option
Cons
Always high pace
Very racist and underpaid employees
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Apex, NCDecember 2, 2018
Horrible working conditions outside and the pay was just as bad gave this company two years of my life when I decided I needed a raise I got fired they dont even have the nerve to tell you in person worst place to work at I would never apply at one of their locations again
Pros
15 dollar coupon for Thanksgiving that's it
I don't understand
Class A Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WADecember 2, 2018
I was hired as a Class A Driver to run their semis and tandem trucks with forklifts and vs putting me in that position they put me in the trim truck where I told them numerous times that I didn't seem like the right fit I felt as if I was going to get hurt due to the manual labor involved with the position they ignored it and I injured my lower back they treated it like a joke and only offered alternative work that required me standing on my feet for 8 hrs sweeping and cleaning up trash

Multiple drivers were allowed to do whatever they wanted to including not help in other areas where they were fully qualified to making long hours and harder work for other!
Pros
a few awesome co workers
Cons
bad management, failed to listen when they needed to

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Builders FirstSource. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Builders FirstSource.

Powered by Comparably