Builders FirstSource Employee Reviews

Not a fun working place,more like crack the whip
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 20, 2018
Even though you are an outstanding, employee they don't take time to assist the good or great employees from the ones that don't work or always have excuses for the job or always talk back,it's very hilarious..
Pros
No free lunch, we never see the laughter an very uneasy
Cons
15 min
Productive and calm environment
Credit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2018
Builders First Source is a busy, productive well ran company. I have learned many different tasks that will help me in the near future to utilize my many skills.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No room for advancement
Productive fun place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 14, 2018
Did my job to the fullest worked well with others. Hours were good received several certificate for a job well done. • Build custom, double and French doors and frames. Utilized power tools and shop maintenance. Stocking and customer service.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Worked weekends
Great co-workers, poor management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJune 13, 2018
This company is transitioning from a team oriented lumber company into a retail establishment that cares only about profits and stock holders. Pay has not advanced with inflation.
Pros
The team
Cons
Corporate structure treats peopls as pawns
To much time has passed
Vice President Hudson Valley Division (Former Employee) –  hudson valley NYJune 12, 2018
Not familiar with current management and their policies, work environment or company culture as ownership has changed several times since last experience
Not for everyone
Finance (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 8, 2018
Was misled on job functions when hired. Working long hours nearly every week. No consistency within the department. Working with less people with more work put on them
Pros
Busy work.
Cons
Management isn't up to speed. Managers need to attend management classes.
Exterior Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJune 7, 2018
Overall great company to work for with decent benefits. I began as a temp and worked my way up to a manager, the drawback was that they never increased my pay but made sure to increase my workload.
just work
Inside sales (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJune 4, 2018
push for sales is relentless. nothing counts but bottom line.
poor attitude towards customers and employees, just make money for the company and all is perfect.
Pros
clean place to work, benefits
Cons
If your not selling you are nothing.
Good Comarodory
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAJune 1, 2018
There was always a feeling that someone always had your back. There was always someone to lend a helping hand everyone was trained to help in other areas aside from there own so as to accommodate the heavy work load that we all had to carry. That lead to a friendly atmosphere in the office as well as in the store front and in the lumber yard.
Waste of time.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Grawn, MIMay 28, 2018
I was a delivery driver for Builders First Source in Grawn, MI for about 9 months. I was completely lied to during the interview about what the job entailed. You WILL be delivering 75% of the lumber, doors, windows, and trim by yourself, and by hand. This is a very miserable and disrespectful place to work, employee morale is very low. You can count on someone losing control of themselves, throwing a fit, and walking off the job at least once a week. There will be no consequences because their turnover rate is so high, they’re just glad they came back. Benefits cost $200 bi-weekly for you and a kid. Very expensive. The one good thing about this place is the consequence free environment for calling in sick(sick of it). I was able to go to a lot of interviews while working there, simply by telling them I had to leave because I had something to do. In the 9 months I worked there I watched 5 of the 7 drivers leave. I heard that’s common. It’s not a real job. Don’t treat it like one.
Pros
You can leave work anytime and still have a job.
Cons
Morale, pay, benefits, job.
Relaxed Working Place.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 20, 2018
This by far was the best job i could ever have worked for. I will prefer this job any day. You should try applying for this job this job will fit anyone.
Pros
Lunch Breaks
Cons
Enviroment
Great place to work.
Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Longview, WAMay 17, 2018
The only downside to working for this company is that there is not much room for advancement and they don't pay employees for their worth and work ethic. The staff treats everyone like family and I really do enjoy the people I come into contact with on a weekly basis. Overall, they're a great company, they'd be perfect if they had more competitive wages and job advancement opportunities.
poor management
Truck Driver Class (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 17, 2018
Horrible company to work for. The managers do not care about your well being. Your opnion goes through one ear and out the other. Retention rate sucks. It is like a revolving door.
great group of people to work with
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WAMay 15, 2018
the Management is awesome. every day you can learn something new. Hardest part is getting use to change with new company. But they have a great way of finding ways to help you achieve and overcome. very supportive group.
Pros
Yearly Holiday Parties
Cons
learning new computer systems
Lost focus
Sales (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMay 15, 2018
The management only cares about their EBIT for the upcoming month. No long term vision. They will rob the employees to pad the P&L. Nothing but problems since the merger with Probuild, which was a fine company.
Pros
they leave you alone
Cons
they leave you alone because they don't care
Your not just a driver/operator
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCMay 14, 2018
They will tell you your gonna just drive and run the boom but it’s all lies and your gonna be hand unloading Sheetrock. It’s also forced dispatch. You have to hand unload all the sheet rock onto the floor
Pros
Very little to none
Cons
Dispatch takes care of his golfing buddies while the rest are worked like dogs
Good company
Sales (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 11, 2018
As a whole it’s a good company but depending on the market your opinion can vary. Good first job long term is possible if you are close with management.
no experience needed great job to learn on
Builder (Former Employee) –  Freeport, FLMay 6, 2018
builders first source does not require you have any knowledge of wood works prior to employment this is a great place to take advantage of a learning opportunity
Inside Sales
Sales (Former Employee) –  Groveland, FLMay 4, 2018
I enjoyed the job itself when things were copesetic. There were many issues that came with the paperwork, accounting, shipping, and inventory stock. The management was not readily available and personnel was always displacing blame.
Pros
Commission (not large)
Cons
Office and Corporate Politics
Door caser (Former Employee) –  hiilsborough ncMay 3, 2018
day to day work is getting up at 4am being to work at 6 mon-sat! i learned that you have to take your time on every door because you want it done right the first time. my manager is a striaght forward person on the job. theres a love of young guys that work here. i dont for like theres a hard part because i work at hard work like any other work because it has to get done. and the most enjoyable part of the day is getting off.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Builders FirstSource. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight