Builders FirstSource Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very inconsistent management
Class A CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  West Point, VA 23181July 15, 2018
Pay and benefits are alright and decent for anyone to get in. NO advancement opportunities. Plenty of overtime but short notice to work saturdays if get behind
Not the best company
Operator (Former Employee) –  Point of Rocks, MDJuly 11, 2018
I started this company as a temporary employee and to be honest there is no room for advancement and the pay is pretty stagnant. After 3 years i just ended up leaving to start over again.
Pros
Competitive
Cons
Outside work
This job is a very high past good job to keep you busy
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VAJuly 6, 2018
I loved working for this company.. the work was easy and fast paced working with a team.. the manager are laid back and teach you at the job to keep a safe environment
Pros
Good money
Cons
Hot
Tough Job
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 5, 2018
People are great. Management sits in the AC most of the time. Long hours some days and tough to get days off. Difficult with kids and doing things during the week.
This company closed its NJ locations
Cabinetry Design/Sales (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 3, 2018
This was a good company to work for. Unfortunately, the cabinetry sales and design vision didnt fit the corporate mold. During the housing crash of 2008, the BOD voted to shut down the locations. No opportunity to transfer was offered.
Good work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blairsville, GAJuly 2, 2018
Good atmosphere with opportunity of advancement. Company is family oriented and all around fair to the customers. However the manager was pushy and puts a lot of work on a single individual. This becomes too stressful and too hard to manage at times.
Enjoyed working in the building materials and lumber industry
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 1, 2018
learned much for the teams supported. Lots of industry driven staff in culture. Enjoyed working with staff within.

Regional offices all over US, enjoyed all the staff in remote areas.
Pros
Commute very close, DART stopped in front of office.
Cons
Downtown culture - homeless and lots of riff raff to contend with on and off the DART, Dirty around the trains many homeless hangout, homeless ride and sleep on trains.
dry fast paced
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WAJune 27, 2018
Very fast paced job. There is a lot of work sometime can be stress full. Need to be able to pick up new skills and be willing and ready to come into work. It a team effort every one help take care of each other.
Learned slot about warehouse work and finishing by deadlines
Drivers helper (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 24, 2018
Be productive and always be a team player. I have Be on time and do your work with pride and always remember that people will talk about your work good or bad.
Pros
Cool cool workers
Cons
Not enough hours
Not a fun working place,more like crack the whip
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 20, 2018
Even though you are an outstanding, employee they don't take time to assist the good or great employees from the ones that don't work or always have excuses for the job or always talk back,it's very hilarious..
Pros
No free lunch, we never see the laughter an very uneasy
Cons
15 min

Want to know more about Builders FirstSource?

Ask a question
Productive and calm environment
Credit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2018
Builders First Source is a busy, productive well ran company. I have learned many different tasks that will help me in the near future to utilize my many skills.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No room for advancement
Productive fun place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 14, 2018
Did my job to the fullest worked well with others. Hours were good received several certificate for a job well done. • Build custom, double and French doors and frames. Utilized power tools and shop maintenance. Stocking and customer service.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Worked weekends
Great co-workers, poor management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJune 13, 2018
This company is transitioning from a team oriented lumber company into a retail establishment that cares only about profits and stock holders. Pay has not advanced with inflation.
Pros
The team
Cons
Corporate structure treats peopls as pawns
To much time has passed
Vice President Hudson Valley Division (Former Employee) –  hudson valley NYJune 12, 2018
Not familiar with current management and their policies, work environment or company culture as ownership has changed several times since last experience
Not for everyone
Finance (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 8, 2018
Was misled on job functions when hired. Working long hours nearly every week. No consistency within the department. Working with less people with more work put on them
Pros
Busy work.
Cons
Management isn't up to speed. Managers need to attend management classes.
Exterior Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJune 7, 2018
Overall great company to work for with decent benefits. I began as a temp and worked my way up to a manager, the drawback was that they never increased my pay but made sure to increase my workload.
just work
Inside sales (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJune 4, 2018
push for sales is relentless. nothing counts but bottom line.
poor attitude towards customers and employees, just make money for the company and all is perfect.
Pros
clean place to work, benefits
Cons
If your not selling you are nothing.
Good Comarodory
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAJune 1, 2018
There was always a feeling that someone always had your back. There was always someone to lend a helping hand everyone was trained to help in other areas aside from there own so as to accommodate the heavy work load that we all had to carry. That lead to a friendly atmosphere in the office as well as in the store front and in the lumber yard.
Waste of time.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Grawn, MIMay 28, 2018
I was a delivery driver for Builders First Source in Grawn, MI for about 9 months. I was completely lied to during the interview about what the job entailed. You WILL be delivering 75% of the lumber, doors, windows, and trim by yourself, and by hand. This is a very miserable and disrespectful place to work, employee morale is very low. You can count on someone losing control of themselves, throwing a fit, and walking off the job at least once a week. There will be no consequences because their turnover rate is so high, they’re just glad they came back. Benefits cost $200 bi-weekly for you and a kid. Very expensive. The one good thing about this place is the consequence free environment for calling in sick(sick of it). I was able to go to a lot of interviews while working there, simply by telling them I had to leave because I had something to do. In the 9 months I worked there I watched 5 of the 7 drivers leave. I heard that’s common. It’s not a real job. Don’t treat it like one.
Pros
You can leave work anytime and still have a job.
Cons
Morale, pay, benefits, job.
Relaxed Working Place.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 20, 2018
This by far was the best job i could ever have worked for. I will prefer this job any day. You should try applying for this job this job will fit anyone.
Pros
Lunch Breaks
Cons
Enviroment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Builders FirstSource. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight