Builders FirstSource Employee Reviews

One day you’re employed the next you aren’t
Employee (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 21, 2019
I worked at BFS and was very happy with my boss & team. Everything was going great, and I made sure my work & effort were always approved and met the needs of the company. But then one night after I had already gone home & made sure there was nothing else that needed to be done, I was informed I no longer had a job. Boom. Just like that. No warning at all.
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJune 20, 2019
Enjoyed my time working there. Everyone treats everyone else as family. There are some problems with certain management, but over-all a great place to work.
productive
Assembler / Labor Finders (Former Employee) –  Buda, TXJune 20, 2019
work hard every day. continue to work for the safety for yourself and others around you. protect the quality of the product by paying attention to the details
very Competitive
Floor/ Roof Truss Assembler/ Machine Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 18, 2019
Building / Assembly of roof and floor truss for home and building construction.
▪ Assembly of jacks for assistance of roof truss building.
▪ Table lead in charge of 2-3 man crew at given time.
▪ Organization of plates for assembly procedure , measurement of truss assembly , blueprint reading and interpretation.
▪ Operation of mechanical saw using Windows XP operating system.
Is really a hard job to work for the pay you're getting it's not really worth it
Window finisher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 17, 2019
It's a hard job to work considering the pay it pays worser than a temp service
Is very frustrating and aggravating at times only good thing I can say about this job is that you can get hired the same day because The company always looking for new workers
Unfriendly and hostile work environment
Builder/ Framer (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 15, 2019
Was given poor instruction. And had to figure out the job on my own. Very unfriendly environment. Framing interior and exterior walls. Learned how to operate a nail bridge.
Working for one of then largest building material companies in the Wrold
Inventory Replenishment and Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newark D#June 15, 2019
Builders First has provided a wonderful opportunity to achieve new skills, keep existing skill up to date and stay in touch with the changing world and technology used to run it.
Pros
comfortable work enviroment, stabillity
Cons
Distance from home, corporate size
Overall Poor Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockport, TXJune 15, 2019
Horrible management, horrible hours, never a consistent schedule—impossible to have a life outside of the store. I would never recommend working here, or at least at this location.
Pros
Good starting pay, benefits.
Cons
Everything else.
Very fast pace
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 13, 2019
The job was not challenging. It is a fast pace enviorment. And there is a lot of heavy lifting . The compensation does not reflect the amount of work there is little to no room for advancement
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Pay is terrible
Not enough employees to do the job correctly.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLJune 12, 2019
Not enough employees, too many managers!! Unorganized, Training was not provided, No H/R dept to answer questions. Too strict and unfriendly. Time wasters!!
Pros
Coffee machine
Cons
Unorganized
Ok workplace
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJune 11, 2019
Not enough pay and hours not good equipment the amount of work and type of work is not with the pay and loads are all over the place and not routed right
Great place to work!
Yard worker (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 8, 2019
My boss was fantastic. The entire company is Customer Driven, which means that they appreciate employees who care about the customer.
Training is great and overall, your co-workers, are happy to help the new guy.
It's a really hot and labor intensive job. Good for 20-30 year olds!
Pros
Closed on weekends. No night shifts.
Cons
Hot, and heavy lifting!
It was a good place to work
Production Worker (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Mercedes, TXJune 6, 2019
Its a good place to start of a new experience ina different type of job environment. A real slow paced but a bit hard labor work that helps you get experience for a better opportunity
Bfs can be a great place to work if you're looking for something that will keep you on your feet. But the chances of advancement are limited.
Yard Reciever 1 (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough, NCJune 6, 2019
When I first started working for builders first source I entered this establishment with the understanding that if I worked hard enough and withstood the test of time you could move up. Well unfortunately the man who sold me that dream resigned and I was placed in an unfortunate situation. New management posed a threat to the plant. Since his reign the secretaries are allowed to bring children into a dangerous work environment where you are required to where certain protective equipment. I have also watched people get hired on and promoted several times within a year. When I applied for the same positions I was told that I needed to pre schedule sick days. The whole office are family members from mother daughter to aunt all in the same department. All in all BFS has a chance to become something better than what it's become but there needs be a drastic change in management. The same management who would call four police officers to guard them from an African American with no criminal background because they wanted to fire him
Pros
Good benefits and extremely quick advancement for Caucasians
Cons
Extremely low raises for lower staff.
Very productive and safe work environment
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNJune 4, 2019
Builder's First Source was a Temporary Job for me. While working at Builder's First Source I felt like I was in a very safe, clean, and very productive work environment.
Builders FirstSource
Conversion Analyst training system modules (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 3, 2019
I have truly enjoyed working for this company. There is a great workplace culture, everyone is pretty laid back, and management is on point. I have been here for a couple year and look forward growing within the company.
Pros
pay is great
Stressful over worked poor management
Truss Builder floor builder (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 29, 2019
This job is horrible have been there for a good bit of time and at first it is nice then they work You to death and expect you to work 6 10 hour shifts a week cause they cannot hold onto people at Winchester va location in my time there I have seen illegals working for the company a man passed out from the heat and nothing done just gave him some water and several people come and go this is not a place to work for a career more like just to get you by and the pay is not worth what you will be doing 1st shift management is a joke . And when it comes time for pay increase you only get 10 cents every March not worth it please consider another truss plant
Professional
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Valley Center, KSMay 29, 2019
Professional work place. Fast paste work. Very interesting work and kept you thinking. I loved my job, I just wish they paid better. That is the only reason j left.
Pros
Ha
Cons
Eh
Great Co-workers with a disconnected management group.
Driver, Complete Delivery Services Wilsonville (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORMay 27, 2019
The management expects perfection in every aspect of your performance but does nothing to help you achieve this standard. The immediate management was extremely rude and unreasonable in their expectations. But when the regional managers were around, they became your best friends.

This company was lucky enough to have several amazing employees that were always criticized and hen pecked for apparently just the fun of it. there was a "no win' feel everyday that i worked there.
Pros
Several really great employees.
Cons
Dismissive, uncaring management.
Productive Workplace
Retail Manager/Counter/Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Glenwood Springs, COMay 26, 2019
My overall experience was a good one, the location I was employed was filled with opportunities and you would go as far as you wanted to within the co
Pros
Opportunity for advancement, Profit Sharing/Bonus program
Cons
Shift Hours Would change during winter season.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Builders FirstSource. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight