Building & Earth Sciences Employee Reviews

Fun place to work with terrific managers. Comunication and scheduling critical. Often work alone on job sites with little oversight.
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 1, 2018
The managers of the Louisville branch are terrific people to work with and can help you with multiple certifications and work based experiences. The job is inspection of jobsites and testing building materials, whether that be concrete, mortar, soil, steel, etc. Building and Earth (B&E) does at good job at teaching and explaining how to perform these tests and site observations. However, as a technician, one will be covering multiple job sites by oneself so the ability to be self sufficient it a required quality. The hardest part of the job is communicating and coordinating with the jobsite superintendents and B&E mangers making sure all things are covered. This can lead to radical hours of work (3-4 AM Concrete pours). However, all of these difficulties become worth it once the final structure is built and a sense of accomplishment can felt.
Pros
Company truck. No one looking over shoulder
Cons
No set schedule of work hours.
Local Branches are great
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Springdale, ARSeptember 26, 2018
The team at the local branches are awesome. The technicians are trained well and are given bonuses for completing additional certifications. The only downside, is that all HR, payroll and accounting are handled through the corporate office in Birmingham. It makes it difficult when issues do happen to come up.
Pros
Great teams
Cons
The company does not offer non-billable time. If the weather is wet, there is no work and if you don't have paid time off you are short on your paycheck.
I was thrown out to the sharks for lack of better wording. I was instructed to and expected to complete duties that geotechnical engineers were expect
Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LAMay 30, 2018
I had no previous knowledge of geotechnical engineering prior to this internship so when I was told to monitor my own drill crew and well log while also giving an accurate description of every soil sample that was collected, you can imagine how this felt for me. But luckily I had a fellow senior engineer that trusted in me and taught me as quickly as he could, which resulted in me doing a good job.
Passing the buck
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 12, 2018
Management is lacking. The employees that have been there put their work off on the newer people and then they charge off time like they have done something. They offer very little training and when you ask how to do something they tell you to look it up in a book or the internet. I worked in the lab and was required to go in the field at a moment's notice and when the lab work didn't get completed was told working in the field was not an excuse. The only good thing about the job was if you needed time off they never really said no.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Work environment, staff, management
Management has a skewed vision
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARMay 9, 2018
Poor management from the Founder/Owner all the way down!
Way too many telephone conference calls. Upper management is composed of micro managers...Management by crisis, not by building long term relationships. A typical day generally was comprised of "putting out fires"....
old equipment, rundown vehicles, ...you get the picture.
Upper management's viewpoint on building long term relationships.....take the client a box of donuts!
If you are desperate and like pay, this is the job for you!
Upper management (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARApril 26, 2018
Where to start... Upper management is always right and will throw you under bus to make themselves look good. Shady billings to clients, unlawful terminations, extremely high turnover. In one year seen 10 people leave, out of 11 total.

Expect you to be 100% billable but give you many tasks throughout week that arent. Expect you to woek till 9 or 10pl nightly and sundays tockeep up because they will not hire extra staff.

Will break the law to keep insurance rates down, terrible equipment for techs, broken trucks, cant even buy needed equipment so they fake results.

Lastly, 3 managers and 5 branch managers in only a few years. Not to mention complete turnaround of techs every year.

Save your morals and skip this company.
Pros
Gettting off work
Cons
Terrible workplace and extremely poor management
Civil Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 6, 2018
I was told I would start at $13 an hour and was only given $12. Management is the worst I’ve ever dealt with, if you have a problem or a question about work you have to contact HR and put pressure on them to get anything resolved. Management does not care about your problems and offer little to no help. Boss is on edge 24/7 and has no respect at all for employees. Terrible work environment. Would not recommend a job at the Columbus office to anyone.
Pros
You can cheat on your time sheet and get extra hours
Cons
Management, hours, work environment, Everything
Excellent Part Time Job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 5, 2017
I worked part time. I am basically retired but enjoy working part time. I have always loved to work and take great pride in my work.
Management was excellent . Hardest part of job was Accounts Receivable clients would make promises but some would not follow-up with promise.
Pros
Some free lunches
Cons
Employees were slow at turning in time for work performed which made deadlines hard to meet..
Fun people to work with and many good experienes earned
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 6, 2017
a normal day would be getting to work at 7:00 am in the morning and be done by 5:00 pm. You learn a lot like working hard and under pressure. Hardest part of the job would be working outside all day long. The best part would be the people you work with
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
dont have any
Ego's get in the way
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARMay 25, 2017
The materials testing industry in all is under-appreciated and under valued, which makes working in it pretty cut-throat. Building & Earth owners only care about making money, and the amount of ego-stroking you do. Technicians are expected to be ready at a moment's notice, but are not guaranteed 40hrs a week. Project managers are stretched thin and never given the proper support to actually succeed.
Horrible work environment
Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 11, 2017
HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT! If you want a place you can advance, this isn't it, senior management is a joke, they promise advancement and never produce, and are reluctant to give annual raises as promised.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Senior manager will try to square off with you when you prove them wrong, multiple complaints from contractors about senior management
Hard work but flexible
Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 15, 2016
As a college student Building and Earth was very flexible with working me around my school schedule. Once the summer started we were short staffed and I found myself working 5-7 days a week normally a minimum of 11 hours a day so there was a lot of work to do, but it was satisfying work.
Pros
A lot of overtime work is available if you want it
Cons
Low morale place to work
Admin Asst * Business Development Rep (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 25, 2016
Everyone is constantly looking for another job. Management doesn't trust any employee. Not a professional place to work.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
No advancements and no raises
If your hard up for work- use caution
Field Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJuly 13, 2016
Worked with this company with an extensive resume, in construction, metal work and investigating / inspection/ QA & QC / hydrostatic testing.
Took over a year to get an 90 day employee job review / evaluation so I could possibly get a raise in wages. Local management was least bit concerned, and I had to contact the CEO of company and put pressure on the local management to get an evaluation, only to get less than what I thought I would get for a wage increase. The company does not care if you have a high school diploma - GED- or
College education , every field tech starts out with low wages- because it's the local wage scale.... but you can work all the overtime you want though.
Learned some new skills to walk away from the company with, to know what to look for with these construction companies doing secondary to low grade work and side stepping the laws, codes, and required ASTM requirements.
Pros
Basically work by yourself or alone.
Cons
No management support
challenging but rewarding
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 18, 2015
Very fast paced, high energy office with very quick deadlines. Not a lot of direction from management but overall a good working environment.
Decent job but can be spotty
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAMay 10, 2015
good job, learned alot about soils and concrete inspections, only issue is that if it rains you can be out of work and will not be getting paid.
They toss you around from job to job with a sink or swim attitude.
feild tech (Former Employee) –  AlabamaAugust 21, 2014
Training is bull! They toss you around from job to job with a sink or swim attitude. If you go to management with concerns or issues your ridiculed and made to feel stupid for asking.
unorganized branch and lacking of leadership & discipline.
Senior Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 19, 2013
Workers are not motivated and just come in for a pay check. No ambition nor motivation. Dreadful place to work. I'm happy to be gone!
Cons
management is willing to throw you under the bus, to save themselves!
Overworked and Underpaid, done the Building and Earth way.
Construction Materials Testing Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 27, 2012
I've learned what it means to work hard from this company. But being more specific, I have learned how to better test soils and test concrete. I've also had the opportunity to gain administrative skills that allow me to fill in for the regular administrator when she is out. If nothing else, I'm gaining valuable experience from this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Building & Earth Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4