Bulk Handling Systems Employee Reviews

Rapidly Growing Company with a Green Planet Focus
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORFebruary 22, 2018
BHS designs and manufactures processing systems for the recycling industry. This is critical as China and other countries are not accepting our garbage anymore and having a means to sort general garbage into re-usable components is environmentally sound and practical. The mission is spot on. There are growing pains as any company experiencing this kind of growth has. The best part of working at BHS is working with the very best, most engaged employees you can find - they are amazing! The hardest part of the job? The CEO needs to come to grips with what it takes financially to truly keep the best engaged and employed. BHS is on the precipice of greatness - do the right thing!
Pros
Affordable benefits, best dental I've ever had
Cons
While pay is market based, they are still catching up long time employees
Good people to work with
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 1, 2018
Made friends right away. Good team building. Can be very dirty and dangerous. Very large machinery to work with. They did have a good injury record. I worked from 4PM to 2AM so the hours can seem long by the end of the week.
Pros
Team building
Cons
Very dirty work
Poor fiscal management and interdepartmental communications
Electrical Controls (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 6, 2017
I was in an engineering and project delivery role at the company. The culture is laid back which leads it to the company's downfall. There is poor fiscal management, poor communication, and a general sense of flagrant regard for individual accomplishment and abilities. They cherish years of mediocrity versus a few years of exemplary performance.
Pros
Great individuals in the projects department as well as misc. office personnel
Cons
Poor pay, poor opportunities, poor communication, poor management, poor overall company direction
great people
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 22, 2017
Great job in the beginning I had a special skill getting hired on so no room for advancement other than that low pay but lots of over time we were told overtime was out raises but all in all great people fun job
Pros
The people for sure
Cons
Lots of hours low pay
Terrible place to work; high stress, long hours.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 20, 2017
The owners are only interested in advancing the company. They will put all wages on a freeze, then proceed to buy other companies. Better hire into the company with a large amount of money because increases to salary are few are far between.
Pros
Paycheck didnt bounce
Cons
Long hours, zero appreciation.
Lack of communication at this company
Fabricator (Former Employee) –  OregonJanuary 11, 2017
This company was not able accommodate my disability and without much notice they would very seldom assist me. They did a poor job of mentoring, by giving poor descriptions, no tech cards or manual, did not rate proficiency or try to tell you what to improve on. I recall not knowing what to do sometimes because they just simply did not tell me. There was no constant flow of work usually, but the work was there just late. One of the cranes was damaged and supervisor said it will not be fixed for a while, so employees had to share one crane between 10+ people. They made it so you can work as slow as you want as I saw that most often employees would stand around talking instead of working. Though they in the end got mad about how slow you work. Poor place to work.
Pros
healthcare is ok
Cons
Short breaks, lack of communication
Annoying Little Fiefdom but hey it's working for them
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 11, 2016
This was an awful fit, but fairly, I still have friends there that are doing quite well and enjoy it. There was very little development in the field, little feedback cycle and a lot of bottlenecks within the process.
BHS will drain your life away and feed you lies and doughnuts once a week.
Engineering Designer (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 17, 2014
This is the worst place I have ever worked in my 25 year career. They work their employees like dogs and treat the Engineering department like a sweatshop. The pay is way below the industry average and they try to mend this with 60+ (mandatory) hour work weeks. And when their poor planning leads them to drop hours to 40/week for periods of time, it approaches a 50% cut in pay. BHS ruins family life, takes away time for hobbies and a life outside of work and does nothing to foster a work environment that is anything other than toxic.
Pros
If you hate your home life and hobbies, this place is for you!
Cons
You will acquire 3 new prescriptions and 2 doctors to help you cope with your lack of self worth.
Fast growing, but losing itself in the process.
Mechanical Designer/Checker (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 25, 2014
They are a fast growing company, but one that is trying to find what it is in the process. They do not appear to value people, as much as they say, the perks and benes get fewer and fewer, wages don't keep up, and they don't seem to understand why they have a high turnover rate, It used to be a much better place.
Very complex work environment.
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 8, 2013
The manufacturer of the best automated recycling equipment in North America. A company definitely on the rise in their industry.
Stressful & unappreciated for the hard work
Lead Sales Estimator (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 30, 2013
I worked under salary when we failed the duties test. Always worked more than 40 hours a week. The sales department, are brutal in how they will treat those who serve them.

I got paid at the below average for my job title and stayed there for 4-years. No cost of living increase.

B H S didn't provide any training to improve myself. I asked to start a Quality Of Work Life committee and was firmly told no.

This was one of the worst jobs I've ever had, sorry to say. This company could be a great place to work if only managers cared about the people.
I can't recommend them as an employer.
Pros
It's a green job
Cons
Angry managers yelling at staff without recourse, No cost of living increases, Below averag salary with long hours, no data base - every document is a sperate Excel doc, no Q W L, no training
Long hours (up to 12 hrs/days for several months at a time)
Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 14, 2012
After working for around 11 months at 12 hour days, and several months previously at 10 or more, we were cut back to 40 hr/wk with 1 days notice and no raises,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bulk Handling Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1

Ratings from women

4.2InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

4.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight