Bulk Transit Employee Reviews

Not a fun place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  PlancityMarch 17, 2019
Bulk transit is not a good place to work pay is not right dad gave the kids the company need I say more .will not show the driver the rates drivers are paid on 24
Percent.of load payroll is always scewed up.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Equipment is wore out
Good relax work at your own pace
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Piketon, OHDecember 3, 2018
Have good equipment. You work at your own pace. Most the customers were friendly. Pay is good and time off paid was good. The dispatcher in Piketon oh could have been a little more fiar about things
Great Logistics
Truck Washer (Current Employee) –  Dundee, MINovember 6, 2018
Great, small place to work for as a part time job. Very flexible hours. Easy going. Great mechanics and friendly people to cowork with. Highly recommend this location.
Pros
Flexibilty
good drivers
Semi Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHOctober 8, 2018
not what I thought would be a future. the work itself was not bad. The hours where so rocky. You couldn't plan anything until Sunday. early start never knew if you would make 900-1200 aIweek. if you're not worrfied about your pay good job.
Pros
Working on the highways and meeting different road crews
Cons
insurnace and pay
Bulk transit was great place to work
LEAD MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Lester, PAApril 10, 2018
Great place to work would work there again they resume operations. I would recommend it to a friend. Management was great along with co-workers. Friendly environment.
Pros
Great place
Great place
Driver (Current Employee) –  Plain City, OHJanuary 15, 2018
I have worked at the Plain City location for almost a year. I am a driver that work overnights to other locations, and sleep in my truck. I dont mind that. The pay is a lot better than my last job, and benefits are much better than my last job. Hospital deductible is kind of high, but health savings plan helps with that. Vision and Dental are pretty cheap to get, but still have out of pocket expenses. Management knows most people by name, and have several locations from the northeast, to texas to the midwest. If you are moving, they might have a division where you are moving to. Equipment is older, but they are upgrading and getting new equipment.
Pros
Good management, good pay
Cons
Equipment needs updating ( read review)
Good Company to have a long term stable career
Employee (Current Employee) –  Plain City, OHOctober 31, 2017
Bulk Transit sets their employees up for success. They are very fair and understanding. The equipment is good and well maintained. They provide a good work life balance with good pay.
great job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Plain City, OHOctober 3, 2017
great job for work for pay is great and the people are nice you will get cold and dirty sometimes but all in all one of the best job i had and the benefit are good
Pros
you eat good and they take care of you
Cons
geting all that sand on you
Not at all worth it!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Plain City, OHSeptember 23, 2017
The only good part about my experience was my Driver/Trainer. He was a great guy and taught me alot. The Safety Director was a joke. He told me that if someone called in about a driver and complained, that driver was guilty until the driver could prove his innocence, that is of course, unless the driver called first! WHAT?
Very poor equipment, out dated trucks and trailers. The trailer I pulled was built back in the 80's. Very sorry I wasted my time with this company.
Pros
Cons
All but my Driver/Trainer (they should give him a raise)
A good place to have a Career
Driver (Current Employee) –  Plain City, OHAugust 31, 2017
They treat their drivers fair. They offer good pay, good benefits, and good home time. There are some long days and overnights but other than that a good place to work.
Decent Place to Work
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Plain City, OHMay 29, 2017
Bulk Transit is a decent place to work, Very family oriented. Lets you make your own schedule for the day. Needs to pay more and have better equipment.
Pros
make your own schedule, lets you do your job without bugging you
Cons
equipment outdated, not enough pay
great place to work
Terminal Manager (Current Employee) –  Plain City, OHDecember 9, 2016
typical day 0830-1730
learned flexibility
I had no management. I was the boss
I loved the team environment
being on call was hardest part
the fun atmosphere
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
driver attitudes were rough sometimes
Not Good
Local Dry Bulk Local Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fairborn, OHNovember 27, 2016
This job will give you an opportunity to practice driving 10 speeds. Expect lots, I mean lots of problems with equipment. Loading and unloading those dry bulk trailers will break the bank if the rates didn't already do it to you before you arrived. Expect to make half what they tell you, and you will be fine. Don't think I'm joking.
Pros
Learn to drive better
Cons
Most everything
Love everyone I work with! Benefit Package not good! Very little if any raises.
Executive Assistant to Terminal Manager (Current Employee) –  Foster, KY 41043October 10, 2016
Close to home is the only benefit. Long hours. Benefit Package not good at all. Very expensive for family coverage. Management appreciates nothing.
Realy Good Company
Lime hauler, (Current Employee) –  Foster kyAugust 10, 2016
I've been employed here for almost 16 years. As with any job, it has its ups and downs. They are very truthful in their ad. The tractors are mostly new, and the trailers are new except for the lime cans. But they upkeep them well. I get home every night. Once the owners gave every one a $700 bonus for long time employment. The delivery customers are extremely nice. There's only one thing I would change, is the top speed of the trucks. But overall it is a good place to work. E-log is now optional. Whenever I've broke down (flat tire) a service man was there within an hour. They simply cant be beat!
Pros
Good pay, nice customers, new tractors, home every night.
Cons
slower trucks
Terrible pay and management
Tanker Driver (Current Employee) –  Fairborn, OHSeptember 23, 2015
After seeing the ad and talking to the recruiter and the plant manager I was told you could make $1200 per week. After talking to senior drivers I was told no one makes that kind of money, I surely did not come anywhere near that amount, that's working six days a week at least twelve hours a day.

Dispatch is horrible, the directions are beyond pathetic. Equipment is a joke, old worn out junk is the best way to describe it.

Don't buy into the very misleading ad, the money is not there. They do not care about their employees, only making their money.

Yes you are home every night, that is about the best thing I can say about the company.
Pros
Home nightly
Cons
Everything else
While home nightly, provides poor pay and training.
Bulk Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fairborn, OHJuly 14, 2015
I worked for Bulk Transit for about eleven months, and in that time I found that this company generally does not meet the expectations laid out in their recruitment emails. Namely there are three issues people should bear in mind when considering employment here.

First, the pay isn't all that great. There are a couple of other carriers that haul out of Cemex in Xenia, which is one of Bulk's largest customers. They generally don't get as many loads as Bulk does, but that's because Bulk Transit has undercut other companies for the lowest price and BT is their house carrier. Other companies make between $30-$40 extra per load to some locations, and that isn't because they charge more - it's because the companies take less, and give more to the driver. Cemex will not be billed higher than the house carrier (Bulk Tranist) bills them. The pay is generally substandard compared to other local bulk carriers. Much of the money goes towards the management staff, and corporate, not to the driver.

Secondly, there is a severe lack of training. Several recent drivers were not given adequate time to train, and when they were supposedly training, they were cut loose with their own loads, in their own trucks, and paired with a "trainer". Three out of the four new hires were left alone because the older drivers assigned to train them simply left them stranded at job locations, without waiting for them to unload their trailers and show them the proper ways to do so. A lot of the time, brand new drivers were left to train, without getting the benefit of being paid extra for it - unless they
  more... were originally or explicitly assigned to train that new hire.

Management also has a poor understanding of most of the complex or unusual products we haul. Speaking from a dayton area terminal location, if it is not cement or plastic, management at this branch has to refer to other drivers to explain how that product unloads or any other necessary loading/unloading requirements. This is a poor mark on management, as management should always be experienced in the materials that Bulk Transit hires. We shouldn't be subject to other drivers as our first and only source of assistance. That is what management gets paid for. This also includes route directions, which can sometimes be grossly inadequate (routing you through low clearance, no truck zones, etc;).

Lastly, equipment at this company is terrible. They do not maintain any of the equipment as they should, and their shop has a very poor organizational structure. parts, items and paperwork are scattered all throughout the garage and generally instead of replacing parts, they attempt cost cutting "band aids" to fix the issue. I once was nearly involved in a collision because the brakes on my truck were not adequately fixed after having been told they were fixed the previous day. It is not uncommon to go through several "assigned" trucks in one month, because your original truck has a serious breakdown. I have been personally stranded over night at locations, and left there until the next day because Bulk would not pay to have someone fix the issue then, but rather waited for another driver to show up at his delivery time the next morning.

Do not buy into anything about new equipment. They have many trucks that are several years old, and most do not have jake brakes. These vehicles are unsafe, and not up to regulation if you get pulled over by DoT. Wiper arms fall off trucks, brakes fail to work, horns stop working and are never fixed and clutches go out regularly due to poor preventive maintenance.

All in all: you are better off working for a different company, one in which maintenance and better driver pay are top priorities.
Pros
Home nightly
Cons
Equipment, pay, poor management and excessive management staff pay compared to drivers.
Great Place
TANKER TRUCK DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Eleanor, WVJune 22, 2015
Great Place to work. Schedule is dispatched daily. Pay is Fair and paid weekly by direct deposit. Equipment is newer but paper log books are still used.
Equipment in poor condition, excellent mechanic staff
Driver (Former Employee) –  Essington Pa.October 29, 2013
A typical day was p/u dry bulk trailer and deliver product.
To operate a dry bulk trailer plus loading product,
Not much in management.
The co-workers always were helpful with each other when needed.
Loading trailers and the condition of equipment.
Dealing with management and shop mechanics.
Pros
Easy work conditions
Cons
Equipment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bulk Transit. Our community is ready to answer.