Bureau of Motor Vehicles Employee Reviews

Customer service
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INDecember 1, 2018
Lack of training, had another co worker train me as this person had to work also. Person yelled at me alot during training on my first week. Spoke to manager, and manager attitude changed for me after that. ( was nice at first) stayed just to see if it was difficult to catch on. They expected you to catch on in two weeks. Most companies at least allow u 90 days!
Fast paced, poor pay
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INSeptember 17, 2018
The benefits were good, pay was terrible. Starting at $10 an hour for a job that should pay at least $15-17 for the kind of work one is expected to do. Must have great attention to detail and organization, patience and efficiency to excel. Required to work independently and help back to back customers while being timed and accurate. Work culture was good, once you got to know your coworkers. Limited phone outreach to customers, mostly face to face customer service.
Pros
Pto, holidays, vacation, personal and sick time
Cons
Low pay, short breaks
it was a good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, IN 46902September 11, 2018
Very fast paced place to work. Some days more stressful then others. I would help customers obtain their drivers licence and process title work for them. Fellow employees were always a pleasure to work with
Management was good
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INSeptember 7, 2018
I loved working there and dealing with the public. I loved the managers there as well. You may get a few grumpy customers but overall is pretty great.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
Customers at times
Health insurance not offered. Very face-paced, stressful environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  605 Graham Rd. Cuyahoga Falls, Oh. 44221September 6, 2018
Daytime hours were good. Also worked with many interesting customers from all over the world. I learned VISA/foreign national regulations, which I found very interesting. Due to so many different languages, I learned basic/polite communications in French, Spanish, and Arabic.
Health insurance not offered, very face-paced, stressful environment, and no opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Daytime hours
Cons
No health insurance, stressful environment
Ok good
Agent (Former Employee) –  University Hts, OHAugust 20, 2018
Ok work not a good place to work at never would recommend no one to work there. Customer isn’t the best however you will leave happy with the job that they did.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
it was good environment to in love my co workers and customer also the lunch time was fair
Clerk\Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 2, 2018
I love my environment that I work in, I love my co-workers and my loyal customers did'nt like who I was working for. I wish that we have more vacation time and benefits.
Pros
customers and lunch
Cons
benefits and 401k
Loved working at this establishment. New management made it hard to show up for work everyday.
Customer Service Associate II (Former Employee) –  Caribou, MEJune 14, 2018
Window service. Update of ME vehicle laws, & many personalities. Overall state management excellent. Hardest thing irate customers. People were a joy.
Pros
Timely breaks, sick time and vacation time.
Cons
Local new management
Fast Paced Learning Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 10, 2018
I absolutely loved working for the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. It's a fast-paced, fun, environment that allows to meet an array of new people and do multiple tasks. Loved it.
Pros
good management, fun job
Cons
unreachable standards
Strict yet Inviting
Driver License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Painesville, OHMay 31, 2018
Working at the BMV is very strict since it's a government job but the supervisors are very friendly, caring and want you to succeed. My supervisor was happy for me that I made the decision to go back to school. Doing the road tests is not for the weak. You're in a car with a stranger who does not have a license yet. Most people were okay testing but you always get a couple of people who will surprise you. Use your best judgement on failing someone (you have to feel they could be unsafe at any point behind the wheel) and stand firm in your decision. You really get close with your coworkers especially if it's a two man station. Every thing is done by the minute. No time to be late to work, going/coming from lunch and leaving. Once again, government jobs are like that. Overall I enjoyed working for the BMV.
was able to work with the public
Team leader/Supervisor/CSR (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 21, 2018
I enjoyed working there. Was able to help customers and the advancement within was a great. The bureau was a great place to work for the time I did work there.
Enjoyed the people behind the desk, but in the end, it is still the BMV
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 14, 2018
The other employees would drop everything in a second to help and are very nice. The customers were usually rude. It was a tough environment to stay positive in sometimes. Learned a lot, especially when typing quickly and using shortcuts on keyboards and operating systems. Enjoyed my time there over the summers, but do not think i will be coming back to work again.
Great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 18, 2018
Opportunities to move up. Challenging workplace. Team oriented.

work with the public. Great benefits.
Difficult to learn and retain. professional environment.
Fast Pace Stress
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 1, 2018
Working for the Indiana BMV was one of the worst jobs I've had.

The management didn't know what they were doing.

The training was lacking. The lack of training is one huge down fall, people give miss information often, which lead to more irritated customers and stressful calls.

The pay is low and the stress is high.

It felt like management at the BMV didn't care for the employees. It felt like they don't care who they hire, they just need to keep bodies in the seats. The turn over rate was shocking, new hires usually didn't stay. It was not uncommon for only one or two people from a training class to be around after five months.

The management were more worried about hiring whoever they can, instead of investing in the people they had.

The people you work with are great, but supervisors and up management didn't seem to care about their employees.
Pros
People, State Holidays/benefits
Cons
30 minute lunches, lack of training, frequent changes, management, small break room, etc.
Enjoyed working with public
Typist 1 and Public Inquiries Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2018
I worked here many years ago. Was a great learning experience as a first job. The hardest part of the job was telling someone their driver license was suspended.
Driver Examiner (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, INMarch 6, 2018
Processed titles, driver license and registration. Exam new drivers, to insure they have met all requirement to be issued a driver license. Stayed up on all policy and regulations.
poor work envirnment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 6, 2018
employees were treated poorly, often equipment didn't work or there were not sufficient supplies needed
communication from leaders to employees was slow and incomplete
pay was very poor
Pros
a lot of paid holidays
Cons
pay, employee treatment
Document Management
Clerical Assistant Document Management (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 2, 2018
Document Management is a lot of hard work. You need to be on your game within that department from the moment you start till the moment it ends. Once that department falls behind schedule, you will be mandated into overtime until they are caught up, especially if you work in the document processing area. Depending on the time of year, that overtime can last anywhere from weeks to months because people buy cars and renew driver's licenses.

It was the best years of my life, however this department takes a hard line when you don't do your job at your desk. It is not a comfy office position and you are expected to work and be able to meet the demand expectations the director and supervisors put before you.

Overall, I wouldn't wish this division of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles on my worst enemy.

The benefits for working with the State are awesome if you can overcome the shortcomings of this department.
Pros
Solid pay and great benefits
Cons
Fun work atmosphere, fast paced
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Franklin, INFebruary 20, 2018
The people you work with become like family, customers are usually friendly. There is usually plenty to do with paperwork and taking care of customers to keep you busy. You have a long training period to get you acclimated to the job.
Enjoyed the environment of the workplace as well as the pay and benefits.
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 14, 2018
I would recommend this job to anyone with a High School Diploma that would enjoy a 9am to 5pm desk job behind a computer on the phone all day. This job is for those who enjoy multitasking but would like to do it at a desk.
Pros
Benefits, pay, breaks, environment, level of difficulty of job (easy)