Bureau of Motor Vehicles Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fast Paced Learning Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 10, 2018
I absolutely loved working for the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. It's a fast-paced, fun, environment that allows to meet an array of new people and do multiple tasks. Loved it.
Pros
good management, fun job
Cons
unreachable standards
Strict yet Inviting
Driver License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Painesville, OHMay 31, 2018
Working at the BMV is very strict since it's a government job but the supervisors are very friendly, caring and want you to succeed. My supervisor was happy for me that I made the decision to go back to school. Doing the road tests is not for the weak. You're in a car with a stranger who does not have a license yet. Most people were okay testing but you always get a couple of people who will surprise you. Use your best judgement on failing someone (you have to feel they could be unsafe at any point behind the wheel) and stand firm in your decision. You really get close with your coworkers especially if it's a two man station. Every thing is done by the minute. No time to be late to work, going/coming from lunch and leaving. Once again, government jobs are like that. Overall I enjoyed working for the BMV.
was able to work with the public
Team leader/Supervisor/CSR (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 21, 2018
I enjoyed working there. Was able to help customers and the advancement within was a great. The bureau was a great place to work for the time I did work there.
Enjoyed the people behind the desk, but in the end, it is still the BMV
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 14, 2018
The other employees would drop everything in a second to help and are very nice. The customers were usually rude. It was a tough environment to stay positive in sometimes. Learned a lot, especially when typing quickly and using shortcuts on keyboards and operating systems. Enjoyed my time there over the summers, but do not think i will be coming back to work again.
Great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 18, 2018
Opportunities to move up. Challenging workplace. Team oriented.

work with the public. Great benefits.
Difficult to learn and retain. professional environment.
Fast Pace Stress
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 1, 2018
Working for the Indiana BMV was one of the worst jobs I've had.

The management didn't know what they were doing.

The training was lacking. The lack of training is one huge down fall, people give miss information often, which lead to more irritated customers and stressful calls.

The pay is low and the stress is high.

It felt like management at the BMV didn't care for the employees. It felt like they don't care who they hire, they just need to keep bodies in the seats. The turn over rate was shocking, new hires usually didn't stay. It was not uncommon for only one or two people from a training class to be around after five months.

The management were more worried about hiring whoever they can, instead of investing in the people they had.

The people you work with are great, but supervisors and up management didn't seem to care about their employees.
Pros
People, State Holidays/benefits
Cons
30 minute lunches, lack of training, frequent changes, management, small break room, etc.
Enjoyed working with public
Typist 1 and Public Inquiries Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2018
I worked here many years ago. Was a great learning experience as a first job. The hardest part of the job was telling someone their driver license was suspended.
Driver Examiner (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, INMarch 6, 2018
Processed titles, driver license and registration. Exam new drivers, to insure they have met all requirement to be issued a driver license. Stayed up on all policy and regulations.
poor work envirnment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 6, 2018
employees were treated poorly, often equipment didn't work or there were not sufficient supplies needed
communication from leaders to employees was slow and incomplete
pay was very poor
Pros
a lot of paid holidays
Cons
pay, employee treatment
Document Management
Clerical Assistant Document Management (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 2, 2018
Document Management is a lot of hard work. You need to be on your game within that department from the moment you start till the moment it ends. Once that department falls behind schedule, you will be mandated into overtime until they are caught up, especially if you work in the document processing area. Depending on the time of year, that overtime can last anywhere from weeks to months because people buy cars and renew driver's licenses.

It was the best years of my life, however this department takes a hard line when you don't do your job at your desk. It is not a comfy office position and you are expected to work and be able to meet the demand expectations the director and supervisors put before you.

Overall, I wouldn't wish this division of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles on my worst enemy.

The benefits for working with the State are awesome if you can overcome the shortcomings of this department.
Pros
Solid pay and great benefits
Cons
Fun work atmosphere, fast paced
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Franklin, INFebruary 20, 2018
The people you work with become like family, customers are usually friendly. There is usually plenty to do with paperwork and taking care of customers to keep you busy. You have a long training period to get you acclimated to the job.
Enjoyed the environment of the workplace as well as the pay and benefits.
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 14, 2018
I would recommend this job to anyone with a High School Diploma that would enjoy a 9am to 5pm desk job behind a computer on the phone all day. This job is for those who enjoy multitasking but would like to do it at a desk.
Pros
Benefits, pay, breaks, environment, level of difficulty of job (easy)
Fast paced
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Paoli, INFebruary 14, 2018
Fast paced and stressful at times. I learned a lot in the time that I was there. Customer service was our number one priority and with production time. All transactions were timed.
Relaxed and
College Intern (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, OHJanuary 29, 2018
As a college intern at the BMV I gave eye exams, set up permit tests, scheduled driving appointments, and signed in driving appointments. I had a lot of experience with the public, and it was relaxed for most of the time. I did not enjoy this job as much just because it was often boring.
Pros
Was able to do homework, retirement benefits
Cons
Boring
I liked working at the BMV because there were a variety of things to do
Typist 1 (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 22, 2018
A typical day you would type cancel and reissue drivers licenses I learned that people did learn they kept repeating the same thing over and over again I don't really think there was anything hard about the job the most enjoyable part of the job was giving people back their license
Pros
potlucks
I hope this will outdo the "BMV" stereotypes
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJanuary 18, 2018
A typical day at work could be fast paced and highly stressful due to consistent changes that affected the general public.

I learned how important it is to be adaptable due to constant change and to remain positive at the same time in order to serve our customers.

I thought that management would run a tight ship- and that's ok! I admire a manager who has the determination to create a structured environment in the workplace.

The challenging part of the job was de-escalating an angry situation with a customer.

The most enjoyable part of the job was, also, helping the customer, and working with a supportive team.
Pros
Paid time off, paid sick time, paid vacation and holiday pay; yearly raises.
Cons
A lot of change!
Very busy
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 4, 2018
Constant calls, very minimal training. Under paid for the mount of work done. Constant changes and bonus system under going changes. Possible shift change without say so.
Pros
Paid holiday
Productive and a learning work place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46226December 19, 2017
A good day at work. Working with the customers, processing transactions most enjoyable part of the job. Management were very knowledgeable and helpful. I enjoy working for the Bureau of Motor Vehicle for sixteen years.
Great environment with great teamwork
Clerk/Manager (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHNovember 14, 2017
The Licence Bureau was a great place to work, the communication and teamwork were great. Managment was great and easy to work with. The work environment and also the clients were great. It is a place where you have your regulars and the client tell was reliable.
Poor leadership, awful culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  IndianaOctober 17, 2017
This was not my first state job but it may be my last. Experience, hard work, and skills are not rewarded; being part of the “in-crowd” provides advancement and job security. Leadership is unable to effectively manage those who have climbed the ranks with little to no formal management training.

If you want to be a clock-puncher, doing a mindless, menial job, the BMV is perfect. If you want to make an difference, learn (productive) skills, and advance your career, l strongly recommend looking elsewhere.
Benefits
Cons
Toxic culture