Bureau of Reclamation Employee Reviews

Steady employment
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMarch 22, 2018
Great work environment. Very good management and workplace culture. The best part of the job was working in the mountains. THe worst part was adverse weather at times.
The Engineers were great but HR was a Nightmare
Engineering Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Great Plains RegionMarch 13, 2018
I really enjoyed the actual job especially how they let me work independently.
The HR department on the other hand was terrible, they took forever to file and pay travel claims. When trying to get claims done they were not efficient at all, just too much bureaucracy.
Great place to get your foot in the door
Student Trainee (Current Employee) –  Grand Coulee, WAMarch 11, 2018
Very slow paced job depending on which area you're placed in, many employees wander around project aimlessly. Fed. not required to pay WA minimum wage.
Ops (Current Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaFebruary 10, 2018
I love it to be honest. Best job I have had in my career. Great people, great work environment, great pay and benefits for the area. The only issue I have is my work-life balance and the opportunities for advancement, but my current position is unbeatable for the industry.
Pros
Work environment/culture, pay/benefits, diverse
Cons
No pathway for advancement to new positions within the agency, you are kinda stuck in your area of expertise
Awesome
Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Chester, MTJanuary 30, 2018
Awesome job for to start with to learn a work ethic and independent thinking. It was the best job I ever had. I bet most people could not do that job.
Good place to start a carer in power generation
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Grand Coulee, WAJanuary 23, 2018
Interesting place to work for power generation facility. Good introduction to power generation at an historical site. Good use of schematics and wiring diagrams to start-up/shut down generators
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Middle of nowhere
Great Environment of both people and community
Hydromaintenance 1 (Former Employee) –  Grand Coulee, WADecember 17, 2017
*Great Hours
*Good People
*Hard Work
*Available Paid Time Off (if needed)
*An all-around good place to work and live in Coulee Dam.
*Great benefits (but was temporary, so was only able to get PTO)
Pros
Good pay, good people, good hours
Cons
N/a
Extremely unsafe working environment.
Power Plant Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Loveland, CODecember 12, 2017
Managers and supervisors are constantly requiring workers to violate OSHA/ANSI regulations. They constantly brush safety concerns under the rug. They will do whatever they can to terminate employees who bring attention to their unsafe working practices.
Pros
Great federal benefits
Cons
Good ol'boy system who cares nothing about you or your family
Great Opportunity
Water Conservation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Temecula, CAOctober 27, 2017
Reclamation is a federal agency that serves the 17 western states. A typical day includes working with Metropolitan Water District and its 26 member agencies to facilitate financial assistance programs to advance conservation in Southern California. The hardest part of the job is changing political interests by elected officials. The best part of the job is the people I get to work with every day.
Pros
Great benefits and interesting job
Cons
Adjusting to political changes each election cycle
Time away from home
Drill Rig Operator Helper (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Grove, UTOctober 21, 2017
There is a lot of time spent away from home. Usual schedule is 10 days out 4 days at home. Work is hard physical labor. The job is crazy busy at times and then sometimes it is a little slow. Out in all weather conditions.
Not much positive to say
Employee and Labor Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 19, 2017
Had great workmates. Supervisors were longtime federal government employees who cared little for the other employees. I have nothing else to say about this employer.
Extremely Slow Paced, many employees do nothing because of job security of federal employment
File Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 18, 2017
Work environment if very top heavy with way too many supervisors. Educational opportunities are never granted. There are no ways to express new solutions or ideas to be more productive.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Because of the Job Security, it take two positions to do one positions work load. Lazy!
Bureau of Reclamation
Civil Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NESeptember 11, 2017
Research and draw legal boundaries for bureau as well as Districts, Research and draw inclusions and exclusions into the district with water rights. Map Archaeological sites, map reservoirs, dams, wildlife and recreation areas. Digitize land maps.

Esri programs, How to read legal descriptions as well as terminology

Not around much, always traveling to meetings

Many people from different back grounds, and worked with many different agencies with different back grounds

When they would proof things, they would make changes and then another person would look at it after the change and change it back

Meeting new people, Learning new things and helping coworkers as well as the public, and other agencies, being able to travel
Pros
Something new each week
Cons
a few micro-managers
Great co-workers and relaxed environment
Museum Curation Internship (Former Employee) –  Mills, WYAugust 8, 2017
fantastic place to work, managers and co-workers friendly and cooperative. Work load is fair and not overwhelming. Any help someone may need or want is immediately provided.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
slow-paced
Good workplace
Regional Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 10, 2017
Staff were fun to work with. I especially enjoyed communicating with the other staff members. The most rewarding part of the job was the satisfaction of seeing a project through to completion.
Pros
Lots of travel
Cons
Inept management
Friendly workplace with encouraging co-workers
Student Trainee (Communications) (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 6, 2017
A typical day at work can be either extremely busy, or slow and is spent working on projects that were left in the back burner. I've learned to use many programs, including a captioning program, a video editing software, and the basics of using a Macintosh computer. Management is very well, and they know how to come together and delegate specific tasks throughout the workforce. The workplace culture is very friendly and co-workers encourage whatever you choose to pursue. Everyone at the work encourages that students continue school in hopes of pursuing a career of the students' choice. The hardest part of the job was when it wasn't busy and I was required to go back to projects that have been of low priority. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people, gaining new skills for the job environment, and discovering what working with a diverse workforce in close proximity is like.
Pros
Company Events, Company Activities, Welcoming Workforce
Cons
N/a
I worked as a lab technician and it gave me excellent experience.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Alamosa, COJune 28, 2017
I worked as a lab technician under the supervision of the head chemist and gained a sufficient amount of experience with proper laboratory practices. Would not hesitate to recommend this workplace to anyone who was interested.
Not willing or able to advance in technique or practices.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJune 13, 2017
I came from an environment that rewarded you for having innovative ideas and wanting an office to excel among the others. This agency is about 40 years in the past and refuses to do anything more than "what has always been done".
Good group of hardworking people
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Socorro, NMJune 12, 2017
Good place to start fresh as a recent graduate. Several opportunities to get one's foot in the door and gain further field experience. The atmosphere provided by the individuals hired is both comfortable and enjoyable. While the fieldwork is hard, the BOR allowed me to grow in more ways than one. The skills that I have gained by working with BOR has given me a higher position to enter the career field in which I hope to enter. I would definitely recommend this department to any individual looking for a starter job, and even a permanent job.
Interesting workplace with fascinating technology
Executive High School Internship (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 20, 2017
My day usually consisted of washing lab equipment and analyzing or setting up water samples. As an intern and lab assistant, I wasn't doing too difficult of tasks but I did learn how to manage my time very well as well as how to stay punctual. My coworkers were very kind and helpful and I built some great relationships that will last a while. I think the hardest part of my job was counting bacteria under a microscope because oftentimes there were too many to keep straight. However, I still persevered and did my job to the best of my ability. My favorite part of the job was getting to know the people I worked with and what they do. I loved learning where they came from, what they worked on in the lab and what they wanted to achieve in life. It helped me put my own life into perspective so that I could see what direction I wanted my life to go.