Play YouTube video button

Burke Williams Spa Employee Reviews

Featured review
Burke Williams Spa selected this as a representative review
Professionalism, reliability and the ability to communicate were the top attributes for success in this business.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Hollywood CaliforniaOctober 29, 2017
This was a 5 star spa in Hollywood servicing a top professional clientele. It was challenging, and a good ability to communicate was necessary to make the clients' experience a memorable one and to have them return.

My fellow workers were the most compassionate unjudgemental and fun people I have ever had the privilege to work with. There was cultural diversity and wide age span.

Reliability was of necessity as bookings had been arranged well in advance and therefore if one was not on time for their shift it could cause major problems which could not be tolerated.

There was opportunity to gain higher position within this company however, having worked in management before and because I loved my work, I did not wish to make a change.
Pros
Free wellness massages, generous discount on some products, flexibility, fun environment.
Cons
As this job was very physical, frequently a lot of my free time was spent recuperating.
Burke Williams is not a very good company.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orange, CASeptember 2, 2018
Oh my goodness there are so many cons it would literally take several pages to write out. First of all, DON'T believe all of the good reviews. It sounds like these people are getting an incentive to write them. Please listen to me before you even apply here as a service provider (Massage Therapist, Esthetician, and Nail Tech)!

I was hired as a Massage Therapist when I was 23 years old. I only stayed for about two years and I still think my experience at Burke Williams was one of the worst experiences in my life. I was treated unbelievably horrible in the end and I am still very angry about it. I just don’t want other people to go through what I went through. After reading other reviews from current Massage Therapists, it seems like the company hasn't changed much. Seriously, all the company cares about is money and their reputation.

They gave their service providers several pay cuts in one year because they claimed they didn't have to money pay us that rate. In the same year, the company was spending money on facility remodeling, new decor, and aromatherapy lotion at the Orange location.

Another con about Burke Williams is the terrible management. A lot of people have quit because of managements lack of empathy, understanding, and loyalty to their staff. Our Massage Department managers (not sure if she is still there) management style was the worst I have ever seen. She is cruel, condescending, vindictive, and just pure EVIL. The Corporate Office and Core management knows this about her, yet they LOVE her because they think she is just being tough with her staff.
  more...

We get paid peanuts to deal with mostly very high maintenance and/or very entitled clientele. So in the end, it is just not worth it. This is the MAJOR con here. I understand they are paying a lot of money, but because of the price they attract the kind of clients do not appreciate massage (or facial and nails). You are just a slave to them. They will complain about any little thing or complain just to get a discount because they know how to work the system. Don't even bother trying to defend yourself; the manager handling the complaint will take the client's side for EVERY complaint and throw you under the bus. I have heard of stories of numerous male clients in particular that have been inappropriate during their treatments and management doesn't care. They even let these clients come back for services! Like I said, it’s all about the money here.

Apply at your own risk!
Pros
My co-workers were all great!
Cons
It's all in my review.
Low Pay, Overworked, Favortism, Unorganized Place of Employment
Management (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 23, 2018
If it was not for my co-workers and flexibility I would have left years ago. If the right people like you, you are more likely to be well paid even if you aren't qualified. I was denied several raises, I was even told I would receive one to only be told a week later that it wasn't in the budget. If you are just looking for a job or somewhere to coast along, then this is the place to be.

If you stay there long enough, you will be thrown under the bus in some way. If you are a "problem", or challenge management, they will find a way to let you go or just lay you off to make it easier. It was always a joke among staff that you always wonder if you are going to come in and have a job.

You can work there for years and be fired without warning. There was a woman who worked there for 20+ years, had been with the company since the day it opened and she was fired. You work hard and then you are thrown out like a piece of trash when you are no longer needed. And did I mention that their payroll bounced several times? It's a HOT MESS. They literally try and pay people are least as they can because they can't afford to have a staff. There are about 20 people, if that many, that make all the money. You will most likely end up training someone that they are paying more than you even if you have been there way longer and will end up doing most of your managers work anyway. I made $35,00, was given an increase to $40,000 after a year, I was finally making about $50,000 for about 6 months and then the pay decreases started happening. After working for years, 7 years in one department,
  more... I ended up making almost what I started when I first began. I make more money now working at IN & OUT! They want 5-star service on a kool-aid budget.  less
Pros
Love co-workers, flexable, you don't take it home with you type of work
Cons
Unorganized, Favortisim, Low Pay, Overworked
great
Spa Attendant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 22, 2018
I loved the burke Williams environment
I loved the people who worked there, very welcoming, and helpful. the clients were awesome and management was great.
Great place to gain knowledge of the spa industry
GUEST SERVICE MANAGER (CALL CENTER) (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAAugust 20, 2018
A great starter place to gain knowledge of the spa industry. Booking appointments in a fast pace setting, learning about different spa treatments and enjoying the ambiance.
Pros
great spas
Cons
need to pay more
Burke in Orange
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 21, 2018
The orange locations was great. EVERYONE was helpful, understanding, and friendly. There is no negative thing about the people or work environment. As for the business side. Change of payroll and cannot ask for days off. You need someone to cover for you.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and managers. Free fruits and free use of the facility
Cons
be ready for random change of payroll, they will let you know ahead of time when they do, cannot request for time out, You need someone to cover for you
Life in Distribution
Distribution lead (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAJuly 10, 2018
My typical day would start off by making the room lists to assign the massage therapist to which room they will work in for the day. Then I will go around to each room turning on all the heating elements, as well as putting all the needed products in the rooms needed to perform the services. After I am done with that I will go back to the Distribution Department turn on the washers and dryers, while folding any laundry there is. When finishing the laundry I will clean the entire department head to toe, after that, I will portion out all the products the will be needed to restock the kits the therapist bring bacn nightly
Pros
fast paced, friendly environment
Cons
no room to grow
Just take calls
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJuly 2, 2018
Your job is to take calls and make appointments for 10 different spas. Management's job is to fill the appointments in those spas, therefore your job is to do that.
Pros
Upscale day spas
Cons
short breaks, customers can be short-tempered
Poor management causes poor morale
Burke Williams Customer Experience (Agent) (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJune 13, 2018
I left Burke Williams 2 years ago. I have since been able to experience a company that had a healthy morale and proper management.

The main issue with BW is the management. Policies change often and trainings are poor. Managers are not very involved with their teams which makes for a poor relationship between management and employees.

Furthermore, there is obvious favoritism within the Company. As the managers are not picked by their skills, but instead through their personal relationships outside of the workplace, this has been observed from their social medias and how they interact in the workplace as compared to other employees.

Many of the employees are resentful towards the management team, most likely because of the animosity that the obvious favoritism cultivates in the office and also due to the fact that the managers are not properly educated in how to effectively train the members of their teams.

During training sessions- depending on the manager, it may often feel as though the manager is attacking your work performance which leads to a sour relationship with the employees. I would suggest that managers should be properly taught on how to critique their employees without resorting to negative remarks. Instead of putting the employee down, they need to learn how to build up the employee while also making an action plan so that the employee can improve.

The job is good as a temporary workplace. Due to the negative relationship between the employees and the management team as well as all of the changes and questionable policies, I would only recommend
  more... working here short-term.  less
Pros
Pay is above average
Cons
Poor Management, Questionable policies
high energy fun
Front Desk Receptionist , Sales (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 5, 2018
greeting customers, this is a high end service, great team to work with and great management , high paced quality service, standing at computer all shift seemed to be the hardest, seeing the guest happy.
Pros
shift coverage
Cons
great upper mang team, co workers
fun palce to work
Certified Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 2, 2018
i had a great experience working there. Coworkers were great, management was always helpful and available. The guests were more nice than not. loved that we could use the amenities
Pros
training provided
Cons
rooms could get hot
Work Review
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 28, 2018
Fast paced Work environment, must arrive 15 before work shift 3-9 where my hours 4 days a week, Must dedicate at least on weekends. It was a my first job I will say that I learned proper customer service for high end clients, I had a great return rate. Management was not there for many who where falling and having trouble at work. Lots of things where brushed under the rug. Beautiful Spa Therapist do go above and beyond for clients. Hardest part was breaking down the room after a hard day.
Pros
Nice Spa
Cons
Lack of management
Management isn't organized at all
Front Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 28, 2018
Coworkers are friendly and nice, good atmosphere. Management however lacks communication with the rest of the staff and if they do communicate it is only with one person but change what they say to another. Very hypocritical. Play favorites and overlook numerous mistakes for that favorite despite they have no idea what they are doing. The pay is not worth the drama and stress at all.
Pros
friendly coworkers, warm atmosphere between
Cons
youre responsible to pay for parking, lack of communication with core management, low pay
I learned so much working at Burke Williams.
Certified Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 22, 2018
My schedule was booked. The overall culture was not the best for collaborative work. I found it hard to do productive full body work in a 50 minute window but I learned.
Pros
Clients
Cons
50 minute treatments
Low low pay for such a high end spa
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles/ Orange CountyMarch 14, 2018
Company wide pay cut, you get recognized for good work but get no actual reward, no monetary or certificate just a pat on the back. Minimum wage plus 7% comission. Annual raises are strict, must enhance and upcharge guests 75% of the time to get a 2% commission raise after a year. Such hard work but very low pay, not worth it. Would not recommend to other massage therapists.
Pros
hourly pay
Cons
get called off or sent home if theres no work, pay cuts
Don’t do it
Supervise staff of 100+ (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMarch 10, 2018
The facilities are dirty and management doesn’t follow up on anything. The owners are more concerned about how everything looks instead of how things are getting done. It’s a three ring circus
Pros
Free services
Cons
Low pay
Pay is too low for what you have to deal with
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAMarch 4, 2018
They really try to treat the customers well. But a lot of the customers complain about feeling cheated in their membership credits.
If the customers only knew how horrible employees are treated, they would stop coming. The favoritism and unprofessionalism are sickening. Too many insecure and immature people in management.
Pros
Fast Hire
Cons
Unprofessional
Good for some but not at all
Concierge/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAFebruary 27, 2018
The management staff constantly complaining about each other and the guests with great detail becomes daunting. Feels very gossipy in the front desk area and is a hit or miss with the therapist who often snap at me when they are running late on their appointments. Communication issues within management affects the facility. Most of my coworkers lack committement and enthusiasm for BW with few exceptions. Guests will treat you as their personal assistant and very seldom tip you for it since BW advertises five star and charges five star prices. Very much like retail where the busy seasons come and go and income will vary
Pros
Use of spa and services
Cons
Short breaks, favoritism
A really laid back job
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NV 89074February 7, 2018
Overall Burke Williams is a decent place to work. My only complaints would be all the inconsistency. There has been two changes with our payroll company, causing issues when cashing your check. When it was time for Tax Season they sent out W2's that were not properly ready for filing. For the most part, working at Burke Williams is easy and very laid back.
Pros
Comfortable Work Attire
Cons
Very inconsistent
Fake Facade
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 29, 2018
Everything is smoke in mirrors here. State that they are 5 star yet lack the discipline, management, and care to function as a 5 star establishment. Do not value their employees.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Wellness Services
Cons
Part Time, Slow Business, Constant Pay Cuts
Good starter massage position
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 13, 2018
THey seem to hire a lot of folks in the 'beginner' realm and thank God because we have to start somewhere. A lot has changed since I've left but it was a good experience overall. People used to complain about the pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Burke Williams Spa. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight