Play YouTube video button

Burke Williams Spa Employee Reviews

productive
Lead Massage Therpaist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 16, 2019
best spa ever! its like a family
i met a lot of life long friends
my managers were assertive and the company takes care of its employees
the hardest part is not being able to accommodate everyone's needs
Nice place to work
Manager on Duty/ Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAJanuary 13, 2019
The culture is really cool, met and made some good friends here. It can have downtime but its retail and sales so there is always something to keep busy with. Great work perks like massages and facials or use of spa on days off. Clientele is generally friendly and regulars are kind and thoughtful. Sometimes there are fires to put out but these are to be expected in a retail environment and are few and far between. The job is very easy if you like chatting with guests and being nice and smiling all the time. You need a good attitude and teamwork abilities.
Pros
Free services, great atmosphere
Cons
Short breaks, standing/on feet
Watch out for fakes
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  WooJanuary 5, 2019
Horrible place to work, so many fakes in the front desk, they like to gossip a lot, go behind your back and talk. Management has favoritism. Such an uncomfortable place to work. No one wants to take on shifts and people call out all the time.
Pros
Free lunches, wellness day spas
Cons
Fake people, unorganized, favoritisms, backstabbers
Understaffed
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 27, 2018
Corporate is extremely disconnected with the reality that’s going on at each location. Each location has a different clientele count and some locations are much busier that others. They assign under qualified people in difficult potions setting a very high unrealistic expectations and when those expectations aren’t met it’s that under qualified persons fault. Corporate doesn’t follow through what they promise which is extremely frustrating, it makes working there frustrating. They would much rather invest $1,000 in useless equipment that doesn’t work for the front desk rather then ask the staff that works there what might function properly. They really should listen to employees who work on the floor 5 days a week rather than the management team who is in their offices everyday, extremely disconnected from the reality going on. There is just a huge disconnection with communication which is really sad because you want to love to work there because it sounds great on paper but once you actually have to it becomes stressful then people quit And that is when you become understaffed and even more stress.
Pros
Free massages, paid vacation (after 2 years), product discount 40%, staff wellness events (if they remember) the staff (not management)
Cons
Understaffed, miscommunication, corporate disconnect
Nice coworkers, weak management
Technician (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CADecember 7, 2018
Coworkers are very nice. Clients are nice. Very easy job. No incentive to improve or advance. No sense of team or accountability. Mediocre/satisfactory work is all that is expected. Driving to the training center in Inglewood is ridiculous. Training could have been completeld in 1 week.
Pros
6 free massages each yr
Cons
Weak managers
Burke Williams is not a very good company.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orange, CASeptember 2, 2018
Oh my goodness there are so many cons it would literally take several pages to write out. First of all, DON'T believe all of the good reviews. It sounds like these people are getting an incentive to write them. Please listen to me before you even apply here as a service provider (Massage Therapist, Esthetician, and Nail Tech)!

I was hired as a Massage Therapist when I was 23 years old. I only stayed for about two years and I still think my experience at Burke Williams was one of the worst experiences in my life. I was treated unbelievably horrible in the end and I am still very angry about it. I just don’t want other people to go through what I went through. After reading other reviews from current Massage Therapists, it seems like the company hasn't changed much. Seriously, all the company cares about is money and their reputation.

They gave their service providers several pay cuts in one year because they claimed they didn't have to money pay us that rate. In the same year, the company was spending money on facility remodeling, new decor, and aromatherapy lotion at the Orange location.

Another con about Burke Williams is the terrible management. A lot of people have quit because of managements lack of empathy, understanding, and loyalty to their staff. Our Massage Department managers (not sure if she is still there) management style was the worst I have ever seen. She is cruel, condescending, vindictive, and just pure EVIL. The Corporate Office and Core management knows this about her, yet they LOVE her because they think she is just being tough with her staff.
  more...

We get paid peanuts to deal with mostly very high maintenance and/or very entitled clientele. So in the end, it is just not worth it. This is the MAJOR con here. I understand they are paying a lot of money, but because of the price they attract the kind of clients do not appreciate massage (or facial and nails). You are just a slave to them. They will complain about any little thing or complain just to get a discount because they know how to work the system. Don't even bother trying to defend yourself; the manager handling the complaint will take the client's side for EVERY complaint and throw you under the bus. I have heard of stories of numerous male clients in particular that have been inappropriate during their treatments and management doesn't care. They even let these clients come back for services! Like I said, it’s all about the money here.

Apply at your own risk!
Pros
My co-workers were all great!
Cons
It's all in my review.
Low Pay, Overworked, Favortism, Unorganized Place of Employment
Management (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 23, 2018
If it was not for my co-workers and flexibility I would have left years ago. If the right people like you, you are more likely to be well paid even if you aren't qualified. I was denied several raises, I was even told I would receive one to only be told a week later that it wasn't in the budget. If you are just looking for a job or somewhere to coast along, then this is the place to be.

If you stay there long enough, you will be thrown under the bus in some way. If you are a "problem", or challenge management, they will find a way to let you go or just lay you off to make it easier. It was always a joke among staff that you always wonder if you are going to come in and have a job.

You can work there for years and be fired without warning. There was a woman who worked there for 20+ years, had been with the company since the day it opened and she was fired. You work hard and then you are thrown out like a piece of trash when you are no longer needed. And did I mention that their payroll bounced several times? It's a HOT MESS. They literally try and pay people are least as they can because they can't afford to have a staff. There are about 20 people, if that many, that make all the money. You will most likely end up training someone that they are paying more than you even if you have been there way longer and will end up doing most of your managers work anyway. I made $35,00, was given an increase to $40,000 after a year, I was finally making about $50,000 for about 6 months and then the pay decreases started happening. After working for years, 7 years in one department,
  more... I ended up making almost what I started when I first began. I make more money now working at IN & OUT! They want 5-star service on a kool-aid budget.  less
Pros
Love co-workers, flexable, you don't take it home with you type of work
Cons
Unorganized, Favortisim, Low Pay, Overworked
great
Spa Attendant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 22, 2018
I loved the burke Williams environment
I loved the people who worked there, very welcoming, and helpful. the clients were awesome and management was great.
Great place to gain knowledge of the spa industry
GUEST SERVICE MANAGER (CALL CENTER) (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAAugust 20, 2018
A great starter place to gain knowledge of the spa industry. Booking appointments in a fast pace setting, learning about different spa treatments and enjoying the ambiance.
Pros
great spas
Cons
need to pay more
Burke in Orange
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 21, 2018
The orange locations was great. EVERYONE was helpful, understanding, and friendly. There is no negative thing about the people or work environment. As for the business side. Change of payroll and cannot ask for days off. You need someone to cover for you.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and managers. Free fruits and free use of the facility
Cons
be ready for random change of payroll, they will let you know ahead of time when they do, cannot request for time out, You need someone to cover for you
Life in Distribution
Distribution lead (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAJuly 10, 2018
My typical day would start off by making the room lists to assign the massage therapist to which room they will work in for the day. Then I will go around to each room turning on all the heating elements, as well as putting all the needed products in the rooms needed to perform the services. After I am done with that I will go back to the Distribution Department turn on the washers and dryers, while folding any laundry there is. When finishing the laundry I will clean the entire department head to toe, after that, I will portion out all the products the will be needed to restock the kits the therapist bring bacn nightly
Pros
fast paced, friendly environment
Cons
no room to grow
Just take calls
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJuly 2, 2018
Your job is to take calls and make appointments for 10 different spas. Management's job is to fill the appointments in those spas, therefore your job is to do that.
Pros
Upscale day spas
Cons
short breaks, customers can be short-tempered
Poor management causes poor morale
Burke Williams Customer Experience (Agent) (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJune 13, 2018
I left Burke Williams 2 years ago. I have since been able to experience a company that had a healthy morale and proper management.

The main issue with BW is the management. Policies change often and trainings are poor. Managers are not very involved with their teams which makes for a poor relationship between management and employees.

Furthermore, there is obvious favoritism within the Company. As the managers are not picked by their skills, but instead through their personal relationships outside of the workplace, this has been observed from their social medias and how they interact in the workplace as compared to other employees.

Many of the employees are resentful towards the management team, most likely because of the animosity that the obvious favoritism cultivates in the office and also due to the fact that the managers are not properly educated in how to effectively train the members of their teams.

During training sessions- depending on the manager, it may often feel as though the manager is attacking your work performance which leads to a sour relationship with the employees. I would suggest that managers should be properly taught on how to critique their employees without resorting to negative remarks. Instead of putting the employee down, they need to learn how to build up the employee while also making an action plan so that the employee can improve.

The job is good as a temporary workplace. Due to the negative relationship between the employees and the management team as well as all of the changes and questionable policies, I would only recommend
  more... working here short-term.  less
Pros
Pay is above average
Cons
Poor Management, Questionable policies
high energy fun
Front Desk Receptionist , Sales (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 5, 2018
greeting customers, this is a high end service, great team to work with and great management , high paced quality service, standing at computer all shift seemed to be the hardest, seeing the guest happy.
Pros
shift coverage
Cons
great upper mang team, co workers
fun palce to work
Certified Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 2, 2018
i had a great experience working there. Coworkers were great, management was always helpful and available. The guests were more nice than not. loved that we could use the amenities
Pros
training provided
Cons
rooms could get hot
Work Review
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 28, 2018
Fast paced Work environment, must arrive 15 before work shift 3-9 where my hours 4 days a week, Must dedicate at least on weekends. It was a my first job I will say that I learned proper customer service for high end clients, I had a great return rate. Management was not there for many who where falling and having trouble at work. Lots of things where brushed under the rug. Beautiful Spa Therapist do go above and beyond for clients. Hardest part was breaking down the room after a hard day.
Pros
Nice Spa
Cons
Lack of management
Management isn't organized at all
Front Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 28, 2018
Coworkers are friendly and nice, good atmosphere. Management however lacks communication with the rest of the staff and if they do communicate it is only with one person but change what they say to another. Very hypocritical. Play favorites and overlook numerous mistakes for that favorite despite they have no idea what they are doing. The pay is not worth the drama and stress at all.
Pros
friendly coworkers, warm atmosphere between
Cons
youre responsible to pay for parking, lack of communication with core management, low pay
I learned so much working at Burke Williams.
Certified Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 22, 2018
My schedule was booked. The overall culture was not the best for collaborative work. I found it hard to do productive full body work in a 50 minute window but I learned.
Pros
Clients
Cons
50 minute treatments
Low low pay for such a high end spa
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles/ Orange CountyMarch 14, 2018
Company wide pay cut, you get recognized for good work but get no actual reward, no monetary or certificate just a pat on the back. Minimum wage plus 7% comission. Annual raises are strict, must enhance and upcharge guests 75% of the time to get a 2% commission raise after a year. Such hard work but very low pay, not worth it. Would not recommend to other massage therapists.
Pros
hourly pay
Cons
get called off or sent home if theres no work, pay cuts
Don’t do it
Supervise staff of 100+ (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMarch 10, 2018
The facilities are dirty and management doesn’t follow up on anything. The owners are more concerned about how everything looks instead of how things are getting done. It’s a three ring circus
Pros
Free services
Cons
Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Burke Williams Spa. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight