Burns & McDonnell Employee Reviews

Awesome Employee Owned Company to Work for
Project Procurement Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 3, 2018
MAC Culture is evident in daily activities. Every one works hard to provide quality service to our clients. The quality of its Employee Owners is reflected is the variety of services provided.
Great place to work with friendly atmosphere
Word Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 28, 2018
I worked as a word processing specialist for 9 years and really enjoyed working with engineers, architects, consultants, and scientists preparing specifications, field reports, and correspondence for various projects. My coworkers were friendly and helpful.
Pros
Friendly environment.
Cons
Management could use some work.
Toxic atmosphere
Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2018
Bad project management, very disorganized work process. Toxic atmosphere. All the jobs are executed on India...with bad results, because there is not any oversight. Hard to believe they are making money, Too many managers...and people hanging around. They put pressure only to a few, the temps. Most of the people have only HS education, even supervisors.
Pros
Cons
toxic atmospkere
Very professional environment, friendly atmosphere and team work.
Sr. Engineer (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXNovember 4, 2018
Nice work place culture and friendly environment. They assign you the complete authority, I had 4 junior designers/drafters to oversee. I spent a proportioned time period at the office as well as at site. Have good exercise and entertainment facilities on premises to get refreshed during lunch time or after work. Everybody is ready to help everyone making it a team effort.
Good old boys club
Staff Information Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTOctober 8, 2018
This is an employee owned company. So there was a lot of competition among co-workers. You had to have billable hours with a specific client to charge for the time you were paid. You were expected to give 1 hour a day cost free to your client, and you were not paid for it, so minimum 9 hour days. The salaries were low due to hours expected to work but the year end bonus would make up for it.
You would get a bonus at years end if your client liked you.

Very male dominated culture.
The job was a very fast paced.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradley, OK 73011October 8, 2018
This was a very fast paced job to work on. The environment was very enjoyable overall. It is a mostly male environment so not for all women. I would recommend this company.
Pros
Excellent work enviroment
Cons
temporary job
good and fun place to work with
Sr. Piping Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77023September 22, 2018
I see this company not only as a positive work environment, but also as a good opportunity to have my skills and qualifications make a difference.
I gained experience in this line of work because I feel that it will perfectly suit my piping skills.
I feelt I should have direct hands-on knowledge/experience in this position/at this stage of my career.
I believe that this job will helped me assume another level of responsibility in my career.
I was not looking to just change jobs for the sake of changing, nor am I looking for another or larger paycheck, I have been working for 3 years and I’m proud of my profession.
Pros
free meeting lunches, Christmus bonus and Day off on birthday
Cons
short breaks, high pressure on schedules
Despite it's efforts, culture creates distrust and internal dishonesty
Geologist/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 19, 2018
Shame based culture - Company promotes the concept of "employee ownership" but is instead controlled management down. You will not move it one inch. The culture is heavy handed and seems to exist only to justify financial priorities despite the language otherwise. Work life balance is poor, and that is not hidden from the start. The shaming of employees with family obligations is overt.
Good Company for long term goals
Siting and Construction Services Contractor (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTAugust 27, 2018
Need to work at Burns & McDonnell for a few years prior to receiving good benefits and compensation. Difficult to advance in promotions. Management is great to work for. Company is 100% employee owned. Contingency is said to be 6 months to a year, more likely over 1 year before receiving employee owner status.
My Dream Job
Site Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 14, 2018
It was all great for about 1 1/2 years. I got great reviews form all the site Supervisors and Managers. Life was GREAT! Then they made a change & we had a new Construction Manager! From then it went down hill! EVERYONE wanted OUT! And I Do mean EVERYONE!!! One person can make all the difference!!! This one did. My review would be 5 stars all the way thru, Until that!!!
Extraordinary Place
Drafting Intern (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 25, 2018
This is a great place to work. The people are amazing and friendly. The work is fast-paced and challenges you. You feel like a part of the company because your voice is heard. You are not just another worker.
Productive place
Senior Electrical Detailer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 8, 2018
8 to 10 hours a day working on Transmission and Distribution Stations. I learned about Transmission and Distribution. Everyone is a employee owner. I get to work with a lot of younger people.
Challenging place to work with great opportunities and collaboration between team members
Staff Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 27, 2018
The people are the greatest benefit of working with this company. the opportunity for job growth has been exceptional. the management is supportive. the benefits are very good.
Decent Company to Work for
Project Controls Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 21, 2018
Not a bad company to work for. Depending on where you start may be hard to move up. Benefits are good and employee stock program is alright. Work/Life Balance isn't great. Depending on project needs you can end up anywhere.
Pros
Benefits, Stocks
Love/Hate relationship
Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 20, 2018
I enjoy working here. The atmosphere is relaxed. The work is exciting for me since I get access to learning in a field outside of my degree.

I was disappointed with the pay. I have a degree and a wealth of experience while others in my same position do not and we are paid the same.

The company does a very good job at attempting to make all employee owners feel comfortable, but there are some managers who could benefit from additional training in interpersonal skills
Pros
relaxed and mostly stress free
Cons
pay/advancement for some positions (and people)
Great place for career and job knowledge growth
Assistant Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2018
Great place for career and job knowledge growth. Fair compensation and benefits. Work/life balance is not very good. Expected to put in unpaid time. Overall a pretty good company for someone who is committed to working hard.
Excellent
Civil Structural Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 13, 2018
Although some management seems to prefer a specific personality, the company strives for diversity and very much cares about their people. I worked at the KC office where there was free food and drinks sometimes. The salary is great than other top companies and the benefits and culture are amazing.
very clickish
Senior Detailer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 28, 2018
we worked on a lot of electrical projects and mechanical typical work day was ok some good people management need a lot of improvement very clickish. other offices are very different then the one i was in
Service Desk Specialist
Service Desk Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 22, 2018
New hires work 830-530, eventually you could move to 7-4. Meet with a manager as a team once every 2 weeks. Never see the manager besides that, no calls from manager, occasional email. Manager is fairly hands off, to a fault. Plenty of work to do to smooth out the IT policies as they related to service desk and the work flows, incidents, tasks we deal with. Progress is being made but there is a lot to do and it moves slow.

Work place culture is okay, probably a lot better if you're in engineer (engineering firm). Hardest part of the job is the job itself being on service desk. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home and getting the check.
Pros
For some, the pay
Cons
working til 530, fighting rush hour both ways
Good place to learn
Electrical Drafting Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2018
Burns & McDonnell is a great place to learn and grow in the industry. As an employee you get the opportunity to attend many classes and seminars dealing with electrical drafting and design.
Pros
Free classes
Cons
Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Burns & McDonnell. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight