Burns & McDonnell Employee Reviews

Overall great place to work
Gas Utility Pre-Construction Planner (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAMarch 11, 2019
Good team of people working together to complete and improve projects.
Property management helps make work life less stressful with car washing, food company come to building, coffee, gym, recreational room, and security.
Pros
Property management provides extra perks for tenants
Project Assistant
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 11, 2019
Good variety of work for Project Assistants. Including, invoicing, scheduling, drawing submittals, budgeting projects, etc. Work very closely with multiple Project Managers. Very relaxed and welcoming company culture.
Pros
Free Lunches, Good Benefits, Overtime
Cons
Salary
One of the best
Construction Intern (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJMarch 3, 2019
Competitive, collaborative, and progressive — Burns & McDonnell understands growth, and they are one of the leaders in achieving a comfortable work environment for their employees. That has been their goal from the start as an employee owned organization.
Pros
Company and employees share the same goals
Cons
Workplace Requiring More Work and Effort than Average, With Benefits and Compensation to Match
Assistant Chemical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 1, 2019
Expect to work more than 40 hours every week. Client service is the focus (as is any engineering-consultant role) so you will have to be flexible with meeting demands and go above and beyond the call of duty. Excellent benefits, excellent compensation for non-oil field and non-programming jobs. Good opportunities for advancement. Most are 'Type A' people working here. Travel will be approximately 2-3 months every year.
Amazing place to work
Electrical CAD Drafter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2019
Amazing place to work, work life balance needs improvement, & the wait to become a full time employee is too long, contractor benefits are non existent.
Pros
Culture, people & work environment is amazing
Cons
Work life balance sucks
Great work atmosphere
Designer/Drafter (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 5, 2019
A typical day for a designer/drafter would be getting redlines from an engineer for drawings that need modified, and meeting with the engineer to discuss other design criteria.
All of the managers I worked with were great.
Work Hard, Play Hard
Digital & Print Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 2, 2019
Burns & McDonnell is exactly that. They expect a lot out of you but you are rewarded very well for your contribution to the company. Some days are a lot harder than others and you will need to put in the time. Then there are days where the whole company gets together for a party. I honestly liked 95% of the people who I directly worked with.
Pros
Gym, daycare, Pto, health center
Cons
Long Days, Stressful deadlines, growing pain
Employee Focused with Dedication to Client Service
Staff Civil/Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 15, 2018
People here work really hard to make sure projects are successful and they get compensated well for it! Management makes the extra effort to make sure employees are happy.
Pros
Employee Culture
Awesome Employee Owned Company to Work for
Project Procurement Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 3, 2018
MAC Culture is evident in daily activities. Every one works hard to provide quality service to our clients. The quality of its Employee Owners is reflected is the variety of services provided.
Great place to work with friendly atmosphere
Word Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 28, 2018
I worked as a word processing specialist for 9 years and really enjoyed working with engineers, architects, consultants, and scientists preparing specifications, field reports, and correspondence for various projects. My coworkers were friendly and helpful.
Pros
Friendly environment.
Cons
Management could use some work.
Toxic atmosphere
Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2018
Bad project management, very disorganized work process. Toxic atmosphere. All the jobs are executed on India...with bad results, because there is not any oversight. Hard to believe they are making money, Too many managers...and people hanging around. They put pressure only to a few, the temps. Most of the people have only HS education, even supervisors.
Pros
Cons
toxic atmospkere
Very professional environment, friendly atmosphere and team work.
Sr. Engineer (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXNovember 4, 2018
Nice work place culture and friendly environment. They assign you the complete authority, I had 4 junior designers/drafters to oversee. I spent a proportioned time period at the office as well as at site. Have good exercise and entertainment facilities on premises to get refreshed during lunch time or after work. Everybody is ready to help everyone making it a team effort.
Good old boys club
Staff Information Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTOctober 8, 2018
This is an employee owned company. So there was a lot of competition among co-workers. You had to have billable hours with a specific client to charge for the time you were paid. You were expected to give 1 hour a day cost free to your client, and you were not paid for it, so minimum 9 hour days. The salaries were low due to hours expected to work but the year end bonus would make up for it.
You would get a bonus at years end if your client liked you.

Very male dominated culture.
The job was a very fast paced.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradley, OK 73011October 8, 2018
This was a very fast paced job to work on. The environment was very enjoyable overall. It is a mostly male environment so not for all women. I would recommend this company.
Pros
Excellent work enviroment
Cons
temporary job
good and fun place to work with
Sr. Piping Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77023September 22, 2018
I see this company not only as a positive work environment, but also as a good opportunity to have my skills and qualifications make a difference.
I gained experience in this line of work because I feel that it will perfectly suit my piping skills.
I feelt I should have direct hands-on knowledge/experience in this position/at this stage of my career.
I believe that this job will helped me assume another level of responsibility in my career.
I was not looking to just change jobs for the sake of changing, nor am I looking for another or larger paycheck, I have been working for 3 years and I’m proud of my profession.
Pros
free meeting lunches, Christmus bonus and Day off on birthday
Cons
short breaks, high pressure on schedules
Despite it's efforts, culture creates distrust and internal dishonesty
Geologist/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 19, 2018
Shame based culture - Company promotes the concept of "employee ownership" but is instead controlled management down. You will not move it one inch. The culture is heavy handed and seems to exist only to justify financial priorities despite the language otherwise. Work life balance is poor, and that is not hidden from the start. The shaming of employees with family obligations is overt.
Good Company for long term goals
Siting and Construction Services Contractor (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTAugust 27, 2018
Need to work at Burns & McDonnell for a few years prior to receiving good benefits and compensation. Difficult to advance in promotions. Management is great to work for. Company is 100% employee owned. Contingency is said to be 6 months to a year, more likely over 1 year before receiving employee owner status.
My Dream Job
Site Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 14, 2018
It was all great for about 1 1/2 years. I got great reviews form all the site Supervisors and Managers. Life was GREAT! Then they made a change & we had a new Construction Manager! From then it went down hill! EVERYONE wanted OUT! And I Do mean EVERYONE!!! One person can make all the difference!!! This one did. My review would be 5 stars all the way thru, Until that!!!
Extraordinary Place
Drafting Intern (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 25, 2018
This is a great place to work. The people are amazing and friendly. The work is fast-paced and challenges you. You feel like a part of the company because your voice is heard. You are not just another worker.
Productive place
Senior Electrical Detailer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 8, 2018
8 to 10 hours a day working on Transmission and Distribution Stations. I learned about Transmission and Distribution. Everyone is a employee owner. I get to work with a lot of younger people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Burns & McDonnell. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight