Burns & McDonnell Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Challenging place to work with great opportunities and collaboration between team members
Staff Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 27, 2018
The people are the greatest benefit of working with this company. the opportunity for job growth has been exceptional. the management is supportive. the benefits are very good.
Decent Company to Work for
Project Controls Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 21, 2018
Not a bad company to work for. Depending on where you start may be hard to move up. Benefits are good and employee stock program is alright. Work/Life Balance isn't great. Depending on project needs you can end up anywhere.
Pros
Benefits, Stocks
Love/Hate relationship
Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 20, 2018
I enjoy working here. The atmosphere is relaxed. The work is exciting for me since I get access to learning in a field outside of my degree.

I was disappointed with the pay. I have a degree and a wealth of experience while others in my same position do not and we are paid the same.

The company does a very good job at attempting to make all employee owners feel comfortable, but there are some managers who could benefit from additional training in interpersonal skills
Pros
relaxed and mostly stress free
Cons
pay/advancement for some positions (and people)
Great place for career and job knowledge growth
Assistant Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2018
Great place for career and job knowledge growth. Fair compensation and benefits. Work/life balance is not very good. Expected to put in unpaid time. Overall a pretty good company for someone who is committed to working hard.
Excellent
Civil Structural Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 13, 2018
Although some management seems to prefer a specific personality, the company strives for diversity and very much cares about their people. I worked at the KC office where there was free food and drinks sometimes. The salary is great than other top companies and the benefits and culture are amazing.
very clickish
Senior Detailer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 28, 2018
we worked on a lot of electrical projects and mechanical typical work day was ok some good people management need a lot of improvement very clickish. other offices are very different then the one i was in
Service Desk Specialist
Service Desk Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 22, 2018
New hires work 830-530, eventually you could move to 7-4. Meet with a manager as a team once every 2 weeks. Never see the manager besides that, no calls from manager, occasional email. Manager is fairly hands off, to a fault. Plenty of work to do to smooth out the IT policies as they related to service desk and the work flows, incidents, tasks we deal with. Progress is being made but there is a lot to do and it moves slow.

Work place culture is okay, probably a lot better if you're in engineer (engineering firm). Hardest part of the job is the job itself being on service desk. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home and getting the check.
Pros
For some, the pay
Cons
working til 530, fighting rush hour both ways
Good place to learn
Electrical Drafting Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2018
Burns & McDonnell is a great place to learn and grow in the industry. As an employee you get the opportunity to attend many classes and seminars dealing with electrical drafting and design.
Pros
Free classes
Cons
Compensation
Over worked, underpaid
Staff Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXApril 24, 2018
Expected to work long hours, but the salary is barely competitive with their ESOP program. Not enough emphasis on professional development. Entry level engineers are basically drafters.
It's all about the culture... and nothing else
Assistant Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 24, 2018
When someone says "He sounds like a good culture fit", it means, he's a white man with 2 kids and a stay at home wife. His work is likely average, and he likes to conform to what is expected.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very flat organization, difficult to advance, especially for women
Not for everyone
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 9, 2018
I have worked here for over 10 years and I can say it’s the best place I have worked. Before I came here I worked at several other firms of various sizes and none of them come close to Burns & McDonnell. Yes it has its warts but they are minor compared to any other places out there.

If you want very good compensation, good benefits, the best retirement in the business and job security then work here.

If you only want to work 8-5 but expect high pay, promotions, etc then don’t work here. There are plenty other firms out there that you can work at with lesser financial rewards and poor job security when the next recession hits.
Pros
Cash compensation, Esop, job security
Cons
Work-life balance, unqualified management in certain divisions
Sr. PDS Piping Designer (Checker) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 9, 2018
The work environment was good with coordination from management and Lead individuals. The job culture was good, with caring management and leadership.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Location in Houston
the folks at Burns and Mac are super to work with.
Project Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 5, 2018
This was an oil & gas project and was very fast pace, Enjoyed the work and the folks that I worked with. it was humbling to know that I was part of a team that would build this type of construction.
Great co-workers poor management
Service Desk Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 29, 2018
BMCD is a great place to work if you want a great salary with great bonuses. However, advancement is poor and you really need to know someone to advance. It is very much click oriented, reminds me of High School. Management is much to be desired. PTO is slow to generate.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
PTO slow to Generate, management is not that great
No work Life balance
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 27, 2018
Great place to work for job stability but no room for advancement and no work life balance. Working long hours and sometimes weekends in order to get projects completed
Pros
ESOP Plan
Cons
No room for advancement
Great Place to Work
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  OklahomaMarch 27, 2018
Great place to work, there no work for me. I received material, check it in, stage it, issued material to the field, operate forklift, solve problem, Did daily reports, OS&D Reports
Good job as a contractor
Sr. Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2018
No room for advancement, like to hire contractors for projects rather than full time long term employment.
involved in travels to the job site, good coworkers and working environment.
Loved the Coworkers
Document Control Assistant (Piping Design) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 27, 2018
Loved the Coworkers and really worked as a team but management truly lacked people skills. The main office is in Kansas City, MO. and we were reminded daily that we were not a part of the (company) and only there to support the staff.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Limited amount of work
Escellent
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 13, 2018
Loved working here the company is modern, employees are freindly, helpful, intelligent, forward thinkers.
Beautiful surroindings, beautiful atmosphere makes this workplace a pleasure.
Challenging and diverse projects.
Site Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOFebruary 8, 2018
I have been placed at a pharmaceutical lab where they are expanding rapidly. They are anticipating increasing their clean rooms and upgrading the building systems along with adding a 60,000 square foot building on their property. We are currently replacing the entire steam system. We just wrapped up the installation of a new compressed air system. We are also in the process of creating a new clean room and installing a new cream blending process line. I have become very knowledgeable with cGMP requirements for the pharmaceutical industry. My typical day is working with the contractors to keep the projects moving and assisting the construction manager with submittals, requests for quotes, contractor job walks and bid reviews. Many of our projects are Time and material and I have maintain the time records of each contractor and validate every invoice for those projects. The hardest part of the job and most time consuming is posting all the safety reports on the corporate server.
Pros
Decent pay and better than not having a job
Cons
No benefits, paid time off or holiday pay