BURNS & WILCOX Employee Reviews

Not an environment that I enjoy
Associate Broker (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 17, 2018
Not a great place to learn or gain experience. Came on as an Associate Broker to re-learn the wholesale side of the insurance business. I have been out of the wholesale side of insurance for 7 years. This is not a great match for me.
Underpaid and overworked
Lead Assistant Underwriter (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 21, 2018
Not a good work/life balance. Expect employees to work in excess of 50 hours a week regularly. St. Louis office is under new management and new manager although tried to be inspirational, comes across unapproachable and always on his cell phone.
Pros
Assistant Managing Director and Personal Lines Underwriters are amazing.
Cons
New Management
Great Place to work and learn
Professional Lines Broker (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMarch 7, 2018
The culture at Burns & Wilcox is very competitive but fair. They do take the time to train you for your position in the company. The work life balance is excellent. The only detracting factor is the rate of advancement
Underwriter
Surplus Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJanuary 9, 2018
Burns & Wilcox purchased Cygnus Services and I joined there team in Metairie.
Competitive and fast paced environment.
I joined Cygnus and worked there about 1.5 years.
I worked at Burns & Wilcox for 1 year.
Okay place to start your career or stepping to the next broker
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJanuary 5, 2018
Okay place to start you career or stepping to the next broker. Management is very young and inexperienced. Tends to not listen to those who were not hired by him.
Experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CA 93711December 28, 2017
My first job, flexible with my school schedule. Benefits are great, 401k, office setting, friendly supervisors as well as employees. I do recommend this establishment
Fun Environment, Good training for new to insurance
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MINovember 8, 2017
Family run business selling E&S insurance to businesses. Pros: Fun environment with lots of events, good training and continuing education. Cons: Long hours, high pressure sales
Stay Away
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 30, 2017
This company has problems starting from the top. The CEO manages with fear and it is shown via the branch managers. The turnover rate is extremely high and has a very poor culture. New hires realize very quickly what they got themselves into.
Good work ethic will keep you at a steady pace in a friendly environment.
Assistant Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAAugust 23, 2017
If you are pursuing a career in insurance, Burns & Wilcox is an excellent choice to get your feet wet and carry you through your career. New hires are treated with patience and respect.
Not a good place to work
Undwriter Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALAugust 21, 2017
Because of the type of business the company does, the process of moving into a higher position is limited. The training process needs a drastic improvement/change. The pair is based on how they feel about you not your experience. Benefits are good. Work hours are typical, but overall atmosphere is draining and unhappy.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, Promotions.
Strong goal-oriented company expanding globally
Accounting Cancellation Administrator (Current Employee) –  Murrells Inlet, SCAugust 20, 2017
While every company has its plusses and minuses, overall this company is great to work for mainly due to my-coworkers, many of whom have been with the company 10 or more years.

Room for growth and promotion aren't always there unless you are in underwriting. Support staff seldom get promotions or bonuses.
Pros
15 days vacation; numerous special parties or events with co-workers
Cons
Not enough pay and minimal raises
Good place to gain experience, but not a long-term career.
ASSISTANT UNDERWRITER II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 27, 2017
Good place to gain experience, but not a long-term career. Career advancement opportunities are slim. Office culture is boring and non-motivating. Management needs to come to the 21st century.
Fast - Paced, Productive Environment
Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 26, 2017
Fast paced work shifts where there is always something to do. Management is very flexible with work - home life balance. Underpaid but management will fight for promotions and pay increases where the CEO allows it.
Don't ever except a job offer!
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 9, 2017
I look back at my time at Burns as a bad nightmare. The company has lost 15 employees in their Toronto office in the last 2 years. This also includes 2 HR managers who couldn't take the abuse. The day I gave my resignation was the happiest day of my life. I'm now apart of the survivors club.
Pros
Cons
Salary, Benefits, no work life balance, lack of management, no HR, no respect...extra!!
Terrible
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 29, 2017
No work life balance, training is a joke. Managers gossip with employees. There is no communication. The operations manager doubles as the HR go to in the office.
horrible work environment
Assistant Underwriter (Current Employee) –  UtahDecember 27, 2016
The work is boring, the compensation is okay but the environment is horrible. Plan on being micromanaged and any issue is not addressed until it has become huge.
Productive office with a relaxed atmosphere
Commercial Assistant Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 4, 2016
Work in a very relaxed office of 35 underwriters and assistants. The most enjoyable part of the day is working with our agents underwriting all different types of accounts.
Pros
Environment that encourages self training and development
Cons
I enjoyed working for the Company.
Policy Typist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 8, 2016
I enjoyed working for the Company and typing up insurance policies for underwriters and assistants. Burns & Wilcox LTD paid for communication classes for Kaufman Institute.
Poorly run - Employees mean nothing !!!
Underwriting Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 11, 2016
This should be a great company to work for - but it's not. They do not value employees, overwork you and keep no one in line or accountable for their actions or work performance. A few people are expected to work hard and take on more, but the others of the same "title" stroll in late, take long lunch and gossip on inter office chat all day. Management could care less about any of this and does nothing to promote those who actually do their job. You are always being "put off" for one reason or another here. Unless you are one of the token family members that work together, they get what they want and promotions overnight for no reason at all. This is a joke of a company - DO NOT ACCEPT ANY OFFER GIVEN HERE
Pros
Paid Parking
Cons
Everything Else
Professional atmosphere
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 2, 2016
The fellow employees and brokers were wonderful. We had access to the office so I could go in and work as many hours as necessary.
The office was in a location close to home. We had great support from the home office in Michigan.
Pros
Insurance benefits were great
Cons
Commission was only paid twice a year