Burns & Wilcox

Burns & Wilcox Employee Reviews

United States69 reviews
Depends what team you are on.......
I used to think this was an okay job until everyone quit for a competitor. They lost so many people, and then we had the blind leading the blind. They came in with all these promises, but nothing was actually being addressed. The training is good on some teams, but others new people are required to train new people. Favoritism is strong. Some people get to flex or work from home while others are expected to come in early and stay late. I was underpaid for the work that I did, and the knowledge that I had. New people are coming in make more than people who have been there over the years. The CEO is not very friendly. He visits once a year, and we all have to change our processes and how we act. I didn't feel comfortable expressing my concerns to anyone in the company. I can see why so many people left. Other competitors are paying more and not requiring employees to work way more than 40 hours a week. They also have better training and technology. If you are an older employee, they will use you until the newer and younger talent comes in. Be careful before considering working here. Since so many people left, you will get thrown into training without the support that is needed. Then if you mess up, its your fault. HR should probably pay a visit to see why the turnover is so high.
Pros
The people before everyone left, Pays the bills, Can use an early departure or late arrival for appointments, Maternity Leave (we just got this in 2019), Vacation increased in 2019, P & C license reimbursed
Cons
Micromanagement, Favortism, Ceo, Agents are not respectiful, and we are expected to cater them no matter what, No work life balance, Lack of communication from the company.
Good experience
B&W is a well-estbalished, leading company in its field.
I enjoyed my time there.

There is a lot of opportunity; good benefits; good work environment; good product
Just an ok place
IT buildings are not clean and don't have good air quality. Lots of goody things happen outside books. I wasn't comfortable working for this firm.
Terrible Management
During my tenure, my co-workers were great, however, management and HR were incredibly unprofessional and would constantly gossip about colleagues in the office. Managerial plans would change on a weekly basis and they would disregard any and all advice from employees after requesting the advice in the first place. I would highly advise against working in the NJ/NY offices.
I loved being able to work from hom
I typed up to 31 insurance policies per day, with corrections and updates. I had the ability to learn ImageRight and Concept One programs and all the different kinds of insurance and brokerage companies
Pros
work from home
Cons
no cons
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Cheap
Burns and Wilcox is very cheap. There is very limited communication at the company. Everyone gossips but you will never have a manager directly tell you something until you are getting attacked.
Solid Experience
Good place to get started and possibly be promoted at if there is room. Work can quickly overrun you if you are not careful. Good people in the local offices.
Fast paced and competitive environment.
I have enjoyed my time working for Burns & Wilcox thus far very much and learned a great deal and grown professionally over the years. My direct manager has been wonderful to work for and the vast majority of my peers and co workers are wonderful to work with and to manage.
They pay is ok but there isn't a work/life balance
The training wasn't well thought out or provided by someone with any patience and management definitely lacks management skill. It's very common for employees to clock out at 5 and clock back in when they get home and/or work on the weekends.
My time at Burns & Wilcox
Working here was enjoyable. I got along great with all of my coworkers and management. The company made it a fun community to be a part of and made all feel valued.
very quite and not alot of communication
office is very quite, every keeps to them selves , there is almost a high school like feel, there are cliques. the branch manager seems to never be there,
Pros
free coffee
Cons
you can get very bored
Great compensation, terrible management.
This is a great place to learn and the compensation/benefits are competitive. The problem is management.
Two of the Directors have been there 25+ years and they are also team leaders. They openly discuss their subordinates with other employees, making disparaging remarks and belittling others, behind their backs. Because the Directors have been there so long, they have many top producing agents referring business to them. They have so many agents sending them business that they don't get to all of the submissions, but won't share them with other underwriters because they want to continue to get those submissions to bolster their numbers. The Directors are willing to answer any questions you might have, but be warned: they will discuss you and your questions as soon as your back is turned. I was working late one evening and heard one of the Directors bad mouthing everyone on her team to one of her 23 year old team members. She even made fun of a woman's stutter. If these two weren't there, I think it would be a more positive and pleasant environment.
Pros
Professional growth is encouraged. Competitive compensation.
Cons
Management is unprofessional and mean spirited.
Very fast paced and wide variety
II used my previous experience and process to the best of my knowledge and assisted the agencies with any questions or concerns they had. Apps would come into the online system - I would review them and process them if they passed the requirements. If not I would contact the agency and we would resolve any issues. Renewals and Endorsements were processed in timely manners. Worked with a variety of Insurance Companies with many different processing systems. It was challenging and interesting at the same time. I enjoyed seeing some of the higher risk type accounts and the many different processing systems.
Pros
Regular work hours, shorter drive time.
Cons
Low wages, A lot of competition within the office environment.
Great place for people looking to be challenged
I love working here. The manager is won't take BS and expects a lot. Employees have grown better because of this. Co-workers are great and very helpful. Expect a full work load every day and to be held accountable for not getting work done. Insurance is a constantly evolving industry and you will never have a dull day.
Stressful
Management did not how to communicate effectively. Management was big on retaliating if you complained or questioned their authority. Management showed favoritism to certain employees. Pay raises or lack of pay raises were not communicated unless you inquire, then you would be given untruthful answers,
Pros
working from home
Cons
The company/branch itself
Insurance
This was a small very fun place to work very little staff but a big team effect . The company was closing and I was laid off, I would love to have stayed
Great place to work. Amazing manager and great benefits.
This is a great place to work if you enjoy being a part of a team. They have competitive pay and great benefits. They have a great network of agents to bring in business and keep you busy.
Great place to be
You work hard and they will compensate and move you up. Simple as that! Hardest part of the job was getting trained. They basically throw you in and you sink or swim.
Not an environment that I enjoy
Not a great place to learn or gain experience. Came on as an Associate Broker to re-learn the wholesale side of the insurance business. I have been out of the wholesale side of insurance for 7 years. This is not a great match for me.
Good place to get your start in Insurance
This company is a decent place to get your foot in the door in insurance. Not a lot of experience or guidance from management. Kind of a free for all figure it our for yourself kind of environment.
Underpaid and overworked
Not a good work/life balance. Expect employees to work in excess of 50 hours a week regularly. St. Louis office is under new management and new manager although tried to be inspirational, comes across unapproachable and always on his cell phone.
Pros
Assistant Managing Director and Personal Lines Underwriters are amazing.
Cons
New Management
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Burns & Wilcox. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.5
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
2.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight