Burrell Behavioral Health Employee Reviews

Terrible management and stressful workplace.
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 29, 2018
Burrell has unrealistic productivity standards for their caseworkers(Community Support Specialists). Expected to make 30 client visits each week. If your clients cancel or miss appointments then it will be counted against you. You are expected to drive your own vehicle to meet clients. Workplace culture is very poor as most employees are stressed. Management makes most decisions based on productivity and they do not empathize with Community Support Specialists. Most days you are expected to work past 7pm. No retirement benefits.
Cons
Terrible management, stressful workplace, long hours
Keeps getting better and better
Employee (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 4, 2018
I've been with Burrell for almost a year. When I started, there was a slight lack of direction and leadership as the previous CEO had passed on. Since Dr CJ Davis became the new CEO late last year, things keep getting better and better. Pay raises, bonuses, better benefits, more training, and overall higher morale among my colleagues. I love being a part of Burrell's mission to help improve the lives of people in my community.
Pros
Pay, positive environment, the mission
Cons
None anymore
You truly make a difference, but the productivity requirements are extremely difficult
ACT Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 25, 2018
I worked at Burrell for more than 3 years. I really enjoyed my work and felt that I made a difference everyday. Many of the supervisors are great and care about clients. However, upper management do not understand the nature of the job and set unbelievable goals. I left because over the last year the productivity was being upped and it was extremely difficult. We are expected to have a face to face service to clients 5 times per day. Due to travel to and from client, the time needed by client, and the paperwork needed for each visit, this is simply not possible on most days. I also noted that if I did try to hit this productivity, I had to provide shorter and less adequate services to my clients which I was not willing to do.
My team also did on-call shifts which included working the weekend on our on-call week (meaning we would work 12 days in a row). For several years we had some flexibility with taking extra time off due to my teams increased work load throughout the month. However, about a year ago this was also removed. So the burnout was greatly increased among my team.
Pros
Making a difference, wonderful clients, caring supervisors, overtime pay, benefits
Cons
Productivity requirements, Upper management, Overworked (particularly on-call workers)
Management/Clinical are systemic problems
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 13, 2018
I work in the youth residential and everyday when the staff walk in the question of, how could it get any worse, is proven. If you want to work at a place that does not care about you or your opinion then this is the place to work. Unless you have your head shoved inside of someone's smelly orifice, or you are in clinical, you are is a warm punching bag for angry clients. Also these clients live with no rules and if you attempt to correct their behavior you will be fired. This place is a burning dumpster fire that is only getting worse.
Stressful Place to Work
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOMay 30, 2018
Working here was very stressful partially due to the nature of the job (mental health field), but also because of the poor management by supervisors. There was a high turnover rate with employees usually lasting approximately 1 year. I worked here for 1.5 years and felt like a veteran employee by the time I left. However, it's definitely a great entry-level job for people wanting experience in the mental health field and wishing to pursue masters in counseling or social work. The experiences working in this job actually made me reconsider going on to earn my masters in counseling/social work and pursue a different career path, which I am grateful for.
Working at burrell
Referee (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 15, 2019
I have worked at many locations within Burrell and I and currently a referral coordinator. Don’t waste your time applying for this job because you will hate it. Nobody in the company wants to work in this office because it is frowned upon. The job itself isn’t bad, but the coworkers that don’t work in this department treat you badly and the leaders are horrible. They don’t listen when you are having a dilemma, the lead has no idea what she is doing. You are on the phone all day taking call after call, but there is no organization what do ever. You listen to people scream and cry because their psychiatrist decides to cancel a day before or the day of their appointment after being rescheduled several times before. I can no longer work for a company who does not care about their clients any longer. I worked their because I have a heart to want to help people but you can’t help them when upper management does not let you. Please for your happiness, for your mentality, don’t apply here. You’ll be miserable and you will regret it. The pay isn’t worth what you will have to put up with everyday.
Heed the Warnings
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 3, 2018
Burrell is a great place to work if you enjoy losing your mind on a daily basis.
No room for advancement, high stress, rules/terms of the job constantly changing, consistently being told you're doing your job wrong by people who don't know what they are doing.
The flexible schedule WAS nice, but now they are forcing workers into an 8-5 type of position.
Unpaid overtime, constant addition of items needed to complete in the work day with no regard for everything you're currently doing.
The new CEO is trying to make it the "best place to work and the best place to receive care", but it will take more time to get there.
Pros
I am employed
Cons
Slowly but surely getting to where it should be
CSS (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 6, 2018
I have worked here a lot of years. I have seen and been a part of the change that has been made recently. I have to say that it, overall, is a positive change. This organization, with the new administration, truly cares about the populations that it serves. It is working towards taking better care of the employees that serve those populations. Of course this process can be a bit slow and confusing, it is difficult undoing poor business practices.
Pros
Working to improve the lives of the community
Cons
pay and benefits
Lack of proper training and poor management
CSS (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 26, 2018
As a CSS worker you are constantly stressed to meet unrealistic productivity requirements. Though the CSS workers' are the companies main source of income, they are treated with very little respect. With very poor management and lack of adequate training, your job is never secure. I have a Masters degree and was denied transferring to other departments. Management is dishonest and not interested in helping their employees advance.
Pros
making your own schedule
Cons
very poor management, was never home before 7:30pm
Not worth it
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 7, 2018
Burrell lacks understanding of personal life being important. Management is reactive not proactive. The pay was very low for the responsibilities given. Never felt supported but always on edge waiting to hear what was wrong.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours. Very low pay
IT Department is AWESOME at this company
Help Desk Tier II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJanuary 20, 2019
Burrell has, in my opinion, one of the best IT departments in existence when it comes to medium size corporations. The employees here in every department are absolutely outstanding on assisting each other and helping the company as a whole maintain excellent end user relationships. My coworkers go above and beyond to advance the reliability of our services. With our new VP of IT and our Supervisor, it has became a place I would stay indefinitely if I could afford to do so. This is a job I look forward to going to each day!
Pros
There is NO micromanaging with our department which is basically unheard of.
Cons
Unfortunately the pay is below the national average and below the market average in this city, There is no opportunity to advance as there is nothing to advance to, That is the only downside of this company.
Improving Every Day
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 8, 2018
I have been very pleased with my position at Burrell thus far. I began work here in January 2018 and have been pleased with the administration’s motivation to improve things both for the clients and the employees. The compensation in my position is very fair, I have received multiple bonuses since my hire, and appears as though the company has plans to continue moving in the right direction.
My job is independent, fast-paced, and involved. Really my only complaints would be that communication between departments and clinicians could be better and that expectations for documentation could be clearer.
Overall I have been impressed with Burrell and find it to be a breath of fresh air after my last employer!
Pros
Pay, bonuses, evolving, improving
Cons
Communication
Change starts from the top down at the Springfield location
CSS (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 13, 2018
Check your egos at the door management! Be careful what you share with these people (supervisors) they are well versed on spinning your weaknesses when they feel threatened and use it to pressure you to leave. I can get another job, but the families we serve DO NOT trust easily nor do they deserve these people, SHAME on you supervisor (you know who you are)...there is one who feels the need to be Queen Bee at the Battlefield office....and god forbid you feel confident in doing your job and others like you to where it brings recognition that she is not getting...it is not about you ma'am...but rather the community that we are privileged to serve. Recently had a co-worker quit for this reason and several families have stopped services because she left...I am thinking of doing the same.
Pros
The families, health insurance
Cons
can't trust management, very self-serving
Extremely stressful
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 25, 2018
Poor management, long hours and overtime with no compensation. Burrell does not support their employees. Change in the company took way too much time. The job made me miserable.
Burrell Forward
Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 29, 2018
The new CEO CJ Davis has made so many positive changes. Our organization continues to grow and communication continues to get better throughout the agency. I am happy to call Burrell my place of employment. Burrell Forward is the slogan that Burrell has adopted which means that we are looking to the future to be the "Best Place to Work and The Best Place to Receive Care."
Pros
Culture, benefits, flexibility
Make sure that you are white.
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marshfield, MOSeptember 12, 2018
I had a racist boss and the upper management knew it and did nothing oh, let her fire me with really just cause the color of my skin, and she ridiculed everything I did even if I did it just like the other's CSS.
Pros
That upper management did not stand behind there employee.
Cons
close to home
Depending upon the position, this can be an excellent place to work.
Assistant Director of Youth Residential Services (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 4, 2018
I have held three positions with Burrell Behavioral Health in nearly 5 years, all within residential treatment. I have enjoyed the privilege of working with an excellent team of competent and caring workers. The new CEO has done an excellent job of showing monetary appreciation for all employees since October 2017, providing wonderful bonuses for retention, health and wellness, and incentives.
Burrell has the best benefits
Provisionally Licensed Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 5, 2018
I am pleased to say I work at Burrell Behavioral Health. I take pride in the agency and its mission. The changes that the new CEO is making are forward thinking and thoughtfully implementd. It is a great place to work.
Pros
Moving forward to keep pace with the mental health industry
Cons
Heavy work load
review
Other Experience (Former Employee) –  otherOctober 23, 2018
Poor communication between administrative staff and lower level staff (and between and within disciplines) seems to be a problem in this and some of the other behavioral health organizations in the area. Burrell has the potential to be a premier behavioral health organization when they start to make administrative and clinical decisions more collaboratively, as opposed to the status quo, where poor decisions are sometimes made because uninformed directives come from the top down, or decisions are made unilaterally.
Not impressed
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moberly, MOSeptember 13, 2018
Went though a lot of inconsistent management, little support, catty work atmosphere. Felt they asked us to abuse Medicaid by forcing weekly visits even if the treatment plan didn’t require it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Burrell Behavioral Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7