buy buy BABY Employee Reviews

Terrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJuly 22, 2018
This is not a place you want to work at, the managers are rude and disrespectful. There are some nice customers but most of the customers are very rude. They have a policy you’re suppose to follow but they don’t even follow it. Staff leave that store after they see how bad it is. It’s a stressful environment having the management watching your back every second, they don’t let you take your breaks and when you do take your break it’s very late in your shift. They don’t care about their employees, they talk down on us. The management even yells at some of the employees and they have favoritism in there which is not professional. People leave once they see how bad that place is, that’s why it’s always low staff. Don’t apply here, they don’t pay well and is very cheap with the raises. They need to close that place down, they just care about the money and that’s it.
Pros
20% discount
Toxic "we watch you" work extremely hard "or else" bullys
Store Setup (Former Employee) –  Missouri City, MOAugust 25, 2018
I did a store set up for 2 weeks. What a horrible sweat shop. This place was run buy the most cut-throat concentration camp management. This place is like a North Korea or 1940’s Germany or Cuba, run my psychopathic dictators who watch you with a microscope trying to squeeze as much labor out of you.
This poverty dump has a bully like workhorse culture of fear and intimidation by management. They constantly treat you like dirt and are “watching your every move” and If you don’t break your back to earn about $10,000 a year you will be cut and replaced. Typical poverty wage job making under $14,000 a year yet being whipped with chains. STAY FAR AWAY!!! Toxic
Pros
you live in a free country and can quit
Cons
Toxic bully managment harrasing and threating
Fast-Paced and good opportunity
GEAR EXPERT (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 4, 2019
I have worked here for over a year and like it so far. There's not much room for promotions or a big salary increase, good for a college student, very flexible with your schedule. Do the work and show p to work and you won't get in trouble. Some managers are more in your face than others but it's because they care for the company deeply, don't take it personal.
Pros
Discounts, Employees are great
Cons
30 minute lunch, customers are not always friendly
productive and decent work culutre
Customer Service and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GASeptember 9, 2018
I love the culture and management. Awesome teamwork. Gained Good sales and customer service knowledge. But Salary is too low. I wish I could get the good salary and fulltime job with all benefits.
fun place but no advancement and they don't pay well
Customer service associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Station, NYOctober 20, 2018
not bad but wouldn't go back. i have the right personality for the job but they don't pay much and as a student it was hard to live on that. i enjoyed the camaraderie but besides that there was no possibility for advancement.
Pros
good environment and great management
Cons
low pay
Customer Service driven
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CAJanuary 7, 2019
Ample training and advisement. Advancement based on availability and performance. You are free to merchandise for your customer base. They do like to make sure you have a life/work balance.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Retail hours
Fun place to work, learn new skills,practice customer service, and meet different people
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXJuly 10, 2018
Typical day included stocking the floor, remerchandising, cashier,providing customer service, placing orders. I learned how to meet and direct customers to their needs. Hardest part was helping customers when busy and being able to cover the entire department. Most enjoyable was creating registries and seeing different cultured customers.
Pros
Occasionally provides lunch, flexible hours, employee discount
Cons
no benefits for part-time
Incredibly stressful place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 28, 2018
I have been in the workforce since the late '80's and have never felt more incompetent in my entire life. You can't even go to the restroom without announcing it to the entire staff over a headset. Be very physically fit because they will work you to the bone. Also, don't get friendly with your coworkers because you can't trust anyone to help you. Everyone wants to suck up to management by making themselves a hero instead of teaching. Schedule changes daily without notice. I enjoy my customers but I am looking for something else real quick!
Pros
It's a paycheck
Cons
Be prepared to be treated like a child
Poor Managment
Registry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJNovember 14, 2018
Management took advantage of hard workers. No benefits. No breaks but one 30 min lunch during an 8hr shift. Barely any training. Not a place I would work at again
Pros
Good for students
Cons
one short break, managment, pay, benefits, training
Flexible Schedule
Furniture Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2018
I really love working here. Co workers are very nice.managers come right away when we need them. The pay is ok I got a raise within 3 months. but other then that the job is okay.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay and short breaks
You will work long hours
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 6, 2018
Things I did not like: Your shifts will be at least 10 hours a day. You will only get a half hour lunch, and no other breaks. You will not be given health benefits for 90 days, then the cost is not competitive with other companies I worked at. You cannot use sick pay if you have to stay home with a sick child. This is important Buy Buy Baby! Offer better benefits! Don't make people wait 90 days for health benefits! That is unreasonable, and I've never had it happen before. Most companies will offer insurance in the first 30 days (JCP, Disney Store, The Children's Place, my current employer, a bank I worked at...). I rarely got 2 days off in a row. My days were split, and that made it hard to balance work and home.

Things I liked: the customers were great. It was fun helping them during an exciting time of their lives. Pay is decent, but insurance costs are high.

Why did I leave?: It was not a supportive environment. I hated the long hours. I have worked in retail for many years and this was the first company I worked for that required 10 a day, with only a 1/2 hr lunch. I think that is a terrible way to treat the front line workers. How about a regular work day for the people who work hard for you every day? Or, give them an hour lunch! Let people recharge! I think if the hours were more normal I might have stuck it out longer. Most days it was completely unnecessary for all managers to be there for 10 hours each. It was not a busy store. Anyway, work there at your own risk. There's a reason they keep posting the job for Assistant Manager. It
  more... should be a fun, supportive environment, but when I was there, it was not.  less
Productive Customer Oriented Service
Cashier/Sales Associate/Stock (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 15, 2018
We are a very customer oriented place. This means building relationships and friendships with new parents who are preparing for their child's arrival. An open mind is required due to the diverse ways families can take form. The workplace culture is team focused due to the fact that one employee can make or break an experience for a new parent. If you love interacting with families and having a lasting impact on their lives, this is the job for you.
Pros
regular raises, opportunity for advancement
Cons
occasionally inconsistent hours
Job Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALAugust 24, 2018
Its an okay job but it could be better . Needs better management and benefits for all employees whether part time or full time. And also better manger employee relationships
good company
Furniture Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, DESeptember 10, 2018
It can be fun, but its also very busy during evenings and weekends. I loved everything about my role in furniture except the lifting from the stockroom to the customers car. Its very exhausting especially if you have any medical problems(bad back, knees)
Pros
good home work balance, good money if you get hours, nice staff, great management, overall good company
Cons
hard to switch departments, short breaks, ladders, heavy lifting if your in the furniture or carseat/stroller departmennt
Not again
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYSeptember 9, 2018
I came to this job open-minded, but I left disliking the company so much. Within 3 months of working there, 2 managers had been fired, one of them being the manager who engaged all of the employees and motivated us was suddenly fired because she forgot to pay for a bag of cough drops.

Although the rushes of customers can be overwhelming, it is welcomed sometimes because it can get really dead. When its dead in the store, supervisors constantly nag you to find SOMETHING to do, even if you have already done it 2 or 3 times (sweeping, wiping down counters, etc). You constantly feel like you can't breathe because the store manager is always looking down on the cashiers.

Anytime a cashier needed a key, we were forced to scream across the front of the store for them which was annoying and embarrassing when there were annoyed, pregnant mothers were waiting in line for 30 minutes. Not to mention the store would constantly change their dress code and not even follow it.

They would make some employees late later than their schedule to clean even though they would have a handful of employees already. I have missed my 10pm bus multiple times because a manager wanted me to stay and ended up needing to call a family member who was already in bed to pick me up, all the meanwhile they knew my schedule.

Most of the other employees there are other college students which are refreshing because you could at least relate to terrible workplace together.
Pros
The other employees
Cons
Scheduling (They really manipulate you into not having the weekends off), management, rotating door when it comes to employees being hired and quitting
Very Fub job to work at
Furniture Sale associate (Current Employee) –  Augusta-Richmond County, GAOctober 24, 2018
Everyday there was something new to expect with the cusotmers. They made the day go great. Management of the company was great, I learned so many things from them .With the help of our management team , they made the job very comfortable and easy to understand.
skip it
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYMay 9, 2018
you will be able to make a living by will not work life balance. good systems in place but are not executed. lacks employee culture and opportunities for advancement.
Fast-paced family environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 9, 2018
Working at BuyBuyBaby was enjoyable with the collaborative team. On those fast-paced days it was very important to be patient and every employee was willing to help each other if available. Some customers were very demanding and I learned a lot of problem-solving tools as well as improved my communication skills. The management team was helpful the majority of the time but there was some miscommunication problems at times. The most enjoyable part of my job was making some sincere connections with customers along with fellow co-workers. The culture of BuyBuyBaby was all about respect and a family-like environment.
Cons
underpaid
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 24, 2018
At Buy Buy Baby, I have gained skills not only for working but for the real world. My coworkers and I work together as a family to carry out needs for customers. Management is great and they are very flexible with your schedule and availability. I couldn't have picked a better place for my first job.
Fun and productive place to work.
ASSOCIATE - PART TIME (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALDecember 19, 2018
Been working with the company for 2 years now, and I have learned so much into merchandising, patience toward customers, and the management process. I have not regretted working here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at buy buy BABY. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight