BuzzFeed

BuzzFeed Employee Reviews

United States49 reviews
I worked on the business side, but the entire culture is based around liberal beliefs and policies. If you are moderate or conservative, this would not be a good fit for you.
Workplace culture is super relaxed, most of the people that work there are most likely the loudest person you knew in high school. Very vibrant place with tons of Free food, snacks, drinks, etc all day. Fun events get put on at least once a week to keep people entertained. Nice campus in Hollywood, be outgoing and open and you'll meet lots of people. Clock in and clock out, quiet people are the ones who won't get much from this work experience.
In a typical day I assisted the crew on a production set with equipment, supplies, and paperwork. During my employment I've learned a lot about production, video editing, and food styling. My favorite part was being able to assist on the cooking demonstrations and discovering new recipes.
Terrible experience. Poorly run and managed company. people in charge of teams are only there because of nepotism. Everyone good leaves the company and poor performers are left and and then promoted.
Things are constantly in flux at BF.

The work was great, and your coworkers are incredible. Within the department I always felt like my voice was heard, and was comfortable taking on extra responsibilities even if I was using new or undeveloped skillsets because I knew the team had my back. I could always be open about my blind spots, and this always lead to communal problem solving and big competency gains.

However, due to lack of communication about what was around the corner project wise investing in the work was, at times, really difficult. Nobody ever knew if what they were working on was about to get cut.

I was there through the 15% layoff and morale tanked after. When I was last there people were using any excuse they could to work from home, and in some cases entire teams were specifically told not to come into the office if they didn't need too.

Needless to say everyone was really uneasy constantly.

Upper Management never really seemed to address this particular issue and any all hands meetings tended to be wholly focused on company growth and economics.

All said it was a very positive experience and one I would gladly recommend, but I would be remised if I did not air that grievance as it was a fairly big problem, in an otherwise superior experience.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
I was a beneficiary of one of the best things about BuzzFeed - I was able to radically mutate and redefine the course of my career. Going in I had one set of skills, and 7 years later, my career had completely transformed.
Open and inviting workplace culture. Very fast-paced work environment. Cool open office vibe. You can dress casually. Many creative opportunities, if you can prove yourself.
Pros
Free lunches 2x a week.
Cons
A lot of work load for most employees
This was a project between grass roots immigration activist and a BuzzFeed producers in order to bring attention to the DACA program.
The collaboration was smooth.
Startup mentality with a lot of opportunity to try new things. The culture is a huge attracting factor. The hardest part is that management can be out of sync with the employees due to generational difference. Other than that, great place. All the coworkers are extremely nice and brilliant people.
BF provides many perks like free lunches, snack bar, and occasional entertainments to keep things interesting. However, they don't compensate for the poor management and the lack of respect for ALL employees.
Great work experience, but bad for mental health.
You have to be okay with the competitive nature and focus on building a portfolio. It sometimes felt like High School and I had to learn to deal with it.
Pros
learning more about my field and free lunches
Cons
It wasn't good for my mental health
This is filled with amazing employees. I've never worked with so many caring and kind individuals. My manager is amazing and there aren't enough great things to say about her. The company believes in work/life balance, and they encourage you to actually take time off. It would take a lot to make me leave here.
Pros
Free lunch twice a week. Relaxed environment. Great culture.
Cons
The money isn't great, but I've had worse.
I met a lot of wonderfully talented people there, but the management is infamously bad. They talk a big game about their mission but treat employees like spare parts to be replaced in the pursuit of that mission.
Very cool and creative environment, feels like a creative lab. It's a great place to start your career fresh our of college and learn about production and digital content. However the company is silo-ed and doesn't work with a lot of outside companies besides brands. Most of the people in leadership and management positions are inexperienced, and the overall company hasn't shared it's mission statement or overall quarterly or yearly goals outside of financials to hit.
Pros
Creative, Trendy, great place to learn if entry level.
Cons
Limited Growth past entry level, and too many unnecessary road blocks to get things done.
When it was a true startup working out of tiny NYC offices, and for many years after, it was fun and experimental.

As it grew to an international organization, the mission became unclear and the culture more cautious.

The recent round of massive layoffs was handled so poorly that a lot of good will was squandered. Not just among those who were laid off, but among those left behind wondering how stable the company really is/was.
Pros
Free lunches, frequent parties, lots of celebrities in the offices.
Cons
Company's future uncertain.
It used to be really cool. It also used to be pretty grueling. Output was high, turnaround was fast, hours were long, goals were lofty. But putting out as much content as we did, we learned a lot, changed the landscape of video, and made some friends.
Pros
surrounded by talent, free lunch on mondays and wednesdays, decent parental leave
Cons
ambiguous goals, constantly reorganizing structure
Fun, supportive environment and lots of talented colleagues.
Pros: energy, innovation, diversity

Cons: no union, big place so sometimes hard to find a groove at first
Excellent place to work. I learned everyday I worked there, great team members who collaborate with each other very well. I loved working for BuzzFeed.
Buzzfeed hires people who are incapable of managing a team since they have no experience or knowledge. Therefore, you are not being managed correctly as the person above you knows less than you do. I dealt with this first hand.They only promote people who they personally like, all others never get promoted and wind up getting pushed out as they hire new people to take over.I learned a lot while I was there but it is an experience that I have definitely regretted.
Pros
Free lunches, famous people, fun activities
Cons
When you go the fun activities you are penalized for not working
Very much still in start up phase but fantastic to work at. Nowhere else like it. Opportunity to move around and up if you show initiative and capabilities. Entrepreneurial minds thrive here.
Pros
Lunch 2x a week, breakfast on fridays, lean teams, creative license
Cons
long hours, underpaid
I was an Editorial Fellow after switching careers from science to digital media. It was an accepting environment that allowed me to get creative and try new things.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at BuzzFeed. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at BuzzFeed.