BuzzFeed Employee Reviews

Was fun at the beginning.
Deputy News Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2019
When it was a true startup working out of tiny NYC offices, and for many years after, it was fun and experimental.

As it grew to an international organization, the mission became unclear and the culture more cautious.

The recent round of massive layoffs was handled so poorly that a lot of good will was squandered. Not just among those who were laid off, but among those left behind wondering how stable the company really is/was.
Pros
Free lunches, frequent parties, lots of celebrities in the offices.
Cons
Company's future uncertain.
BuzzFeed
Senior Video Producer, Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 15, 2019
It used to be really cool. It also used to be pretty grueling. Output was high, turnaround was fast, hours were long, goals were lofty. But putting out as much content as we did, we learned a lot, changed the landscape of video, and made some friends.
Pros
surrounded by talent, free lunch on mondays and wednesdays, decent parental leave
Cons
ambiguous goals, constantly reorganizing structure
Innovation and energy
Employee (Current Employee) –  United StatesDecember 10, 2018
Fun, supportive environment and lots of talented colleagues.
Pros: energy, innovation, diversity
Cons: no union, big place so sometimes hard to find a groove at first
Excellent
Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2018
Excellent place to work. I learned everyday I worked there, great team members who collaborate with each other very well. I loved working for BuzzFeed.
Poor management and no room for growth
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2018
Buzzfeed hires people who are incapable of managing a team since they have no experience or knowledge. Therefore, you are not being managed correctly as the person above you knows less than you do. I dealt with this first hand.They only promote people who they personally like, all others never get promoted and wind up getting pushed out as they hire new people to take over.I learned a lot while I was there but it is an experience that I have definitely regretted.
Pros
Free lunches, famous people, fun activities
Cons
When you go the fun activities you are penalized for not working
Great Place to Work
Finance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2018
Very much still in start up phase but fantastic to work at. Nowhere else like it. Opportunity to move around and up if you show initiative and capabilities. Entrepreneurial minds thrive here.
Pros
Lunch 2x a week, breakfast on fridays, lean teams, creative license
Cons
long hours, underpaid
Great Learning Environment
Editorial Fellow (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2018
I was an Editorial Fellow after switching careers from science to digital media. It was an accepting environment that allowed me to get creative and try new things.
Fantastic place to work if you're passionate about writing
Associate Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2018
Fun and very young work environment. Most hours spent working at computer. Learned to work in high pressure situations, all mistakes are public knowledge. I loved working with my team - everyone around you is genuinely hilarious. Potential for growth within company didn't seem extremely high. Hardest part of the job was the competitive aspect of it. Your daily ranking (how many views your posts get) is public and all editors look at it throughout the day. Most enjoyable part of the job is the work culture. It's insanely awesome; you become spoiled very quickly with the perks.
Pros
catered lunches 3x a week, snack room, gym discounts, laid back work atmosphere, funny and very creative bunch to work around
Cons
Slightly cliquey, high pressure, not a lot of potential for growth, mediocre pay for nyc
Fun place to work at
Sr. Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2018
I enjoyed my time at buzzfeed. Lots of on site benefits, such as lunches, quiet spaces, and unlimited snacks. Room to grow within the company and a very chill work place.
Productive and fun workplace with a ping pong table
Freelance Director/Editor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2018
This is a fun place to work. Really fun and awesome people. I love that they continuously make content. I would love to keep in touch with them and grow with them in the future.
Summary
Cinematographer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 16, 2018
BuzzFeed was a beautiful place to work. However, the state of Branded Content is in a very fickle and unstable place, therefore there was no job security or opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Free Lunches, Awesome fun activities, Amazing kitchen with foods and drinks, nice facilities
Cons
Not giving anyone a full time job, only freelance contracts and still expecting the same result from their "employees"
Nice workplace culture, but horrible management
Branded Content Editor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 9, 2018
BuzzFeed is very focused on its workplace culture. It's a laid back environment with no dress code, so people are generally comfortable. It's very accepting of different types of people and lifestyles, and doesn't try to limit expression. This is particularly nice for younger writers just starting out in the industry, since it's not as hectic or demanding as most other options.

However, the company's laid back attitude extends too far. It leads to lax management, especially when they launch new projects. I saw the launch of several new directives while I worked there, and none of them were thought out before launch. The results were confusion among the employees, an inability to communicate by the managers, and a lot of general friction between departments.

Then there was the company's first big layoff, which was handled horribly and left a sour taste in everyone's mouths, returning employees included. The company showed a lack of respect for its workforce, again a lack of planning or understanding, and an inability to handle things in a professional way. I've been part of layoffs before, and of course they're always a bummer, but I've never seen a company treat their employees so poorly before.

I would say that BuzzFeed is a perfectly nice place to work and gain some experience early in your career, especially since they're willing to promote fairly quickly and give you advanced job titles that most companies probably wouldn't. So it can look good on a resumé. But this isn't a place where you'll want to stay for a significant portion of your career, because management
  more... is just too much of a mess. It pretty much ruins the positive aspects of the company.  less
Pros
Free snacks, catered lunches, flexible work-from-home policy
Cons
Terrible management, lack of direction for the company, lack of planning during development phases
Fun environment to work
Production Technology Specialist (Security) (Current Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAApril 21, 2018
Great place to grow as a young professional. Not a lot a growth potential for Intermediate level employees. The best Employee Resource Group that I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
Not a bad place to work, but only if you have the right manager.
Senior Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 3, 2018
Great time working here. Collaborative, intelligent people all around, and intense pressure to do well. If you have the right manager, you will succeed.
Fun, productive work place
Editorial Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2018
BuzzFeed has a great working environment where everyone feels a part of the team. During my time there as an intern, I felt as if I was a full-time employee, integrated into BuzzFeed's job culture. There's always room to grow and develop your skills there and the communication between co-workers is exceptional.
Great Place
Social Media Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2018
It was a great learning experience. My manager allowed me to let my creativity run free. I was able to take on any task. The CEO visited often. Everyone was really nice.
Still Growing
Producer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 14, 2018
It is a great environment to work in, but they are still learning a lot and the growing pains are evident. If you're willing to put in the work and play the politics game you'll do well here, otherwise you'll find that structure is severely lacking.
Fun but FAST-PACED work environment
VIDEO FELLOW (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 24, 2018
Buzzfeed is CONSTANTLY changing, and if you're working on the video side, you'll have to work hard to keep up with those changes, your quota and the need to keep yourself valuable and relevant to the company. It can be hard to keep up a good work-life balance, especially if you're someone who tends to overwork or not be efficient already. So stay on top of that, but it can be a really fun place to work where something weird or funny is always happening.

Overall, people are kind and creative, but often VERY busy. Sometimes they'll be too sucked up in their own workload to hold your hand through stuff, but just persist. It can feel like people around you are running around like chickens with their head cut off-- or YOU are, and it seems like everyone else has it down pat (don't be fooled by that). Asking for help when you need it is critical and there will pretty much always be a steep learning curve, but working at Buzzfeed can be a great learning/networking opportunity.
Pros
free lunches on Mondays and Wednesdays, free bagels on Fridays
Fun and energetic work environment
Assistant Editor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 13, 2018
BuzzFeed is a great company to work for. The workplace culture is inspiring, positive, and supportive. The employees are very creative and talented. They make sure you feel part of the team and are included in decisions.
Pros
Great coworkers, free lunches
Fun place to work with great perks
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2018
Great place to work, some teams are more relaxed than others. Great benefits and perks (free snacks, lunch). Needs to restructure to be more strategic.
Pros
Free lunch, snacks, cool office, great location
Cons
Still figuring out how to restructure