Byer California Employee Reviews

Shipping and receving
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 5, 2019
Warehouse is a dedicated work at times it's best to know your way around a warehouse be determined to work long hours at times even holidays and weekends Saturday
Old School Garment Manufacturer
Designer/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 25, 2019
Byer has great people working there, many of which have been there for a long time. However, this old fashion company needs an overhaul. The way in which it conducts business and treats it's employees has much to be desired. There is no human resource department and a poor antiquated company culture. Although they offer a very good health benefits package and profit sharing program, it is not worth working for a company that is not loyal to its employees.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Poor working conditions. No perks
wear many different hats
Customer service Help Desk (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 22, 2019
This is a place where you are expected to learn new things and be self directed which is encouraged . If you don't follow this you will be micro managed.
Pros
family is important, learn many new skill sets
Cons
management is lacking
Fun, outgoing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJuly 10, 2018
My experiences there was really good. All my coworkers, my manager and my assistant got along so well. We had a really strong teamwork skills. The only bad thing was the things that cooperate didn't make any sense
Good Company to Work For
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 25, 2018
People care about others and the drive to continue a SF Bay Area wholesale staple. Company cares and wants to do right by their employees and customers.
Easy going laid back
Procurement Specialist/ Customer Service Help Desk (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 30, 2018
Very laid back place to work. Could use some help with inter departmental communications. I've learned to in order to be a great leader you must first be a good student
Pros
Negotiable hours/shifts
Cons
Semi annual inventory assistance
No corporate culture with rude managers
Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 28, 2018
Poorly managed by bunch of MAD MEAN girls! Seriously mean, rude, unprofessional managers in the office!
No career advance no training no review and no rewards!
You will never get any kind and warm words from your managers.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Poor management
Not much growth
Fabric Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 7, 2017
Not too much opportunity for growth. Same work can get really repetitive everyday. Work is not very organized. Work hours 9-6. Standard benefits are provided.
wouldn't recommend
TRIMS PRODUCTION & DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 22, 2017
poor management. no employee appreciation. no company culture. overworked, no growth opportunities. okay experience to gain if you're starting out in the industry
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no growth, no company culture
Not a company of the future
NA (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 18, 2017
Byer California has been the same company for 50 years...and that's not a good thing in fashion or for women. They do not embrace technology. Absolutely no company culture. No review structure. The work was varied and interesting at times, but ended up being a waste of time because there was no vision for the future of the company.
Pros
free parking, variety of work
Cons
Low pay for SF, Management weak, No review structure.
Amazing and productive seeing fabric turn into a garment.
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 1, 2017
Work enviorment was very hyped. Never a dull moment. Learning to work as a team,with managers and merchandizers. Working with all types of nationalities. Finalizing our cutting orders was the most difficult of all.It needed 3 authorized approvals. Putting the puzzle together was the biggest accomplishment at the end of the day.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
Excellent work place that provided guidance
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJanuary 16, 2017
Management opened my perspective on roles as a newly promoted key holder. Management also informed cor workers and I on new, approachable techniques to make customers comfortable. Politely aided customers with need of assistance or had any questions about the product. The most difficult part of the job was updating the store's style, but it was also the most enjoyable task.
Pros
Experience, time management, and organization
Cons
No healthcare and miscommunication
Great Experience
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CANovember 30, 2016
Byer California is a great place to work. It's family owned very welcoming. I would encourage anyone to work at Byer because you get to know everyone and are able to develop yourself in multiple areas of the business.
great environment
LA Production Contractor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 13, 2016
At the office was always busy, I learned every day something new, I was surrounded by fantastic people, the fun part of the job was to meet the deadlines of the production.
family owned
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 8, 2016
not a place to work in IT. Too small of an environment.
Management changes their min on the fly, from day to day.
It's a scary place to work if you are looking for job security.
Pros
nice people
Cons
no perks, commute is bad, no raises, no security, no love
Challenging opportunity launching new division, supportive management
Account Executive-Brannan Apparel Division (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2015
Total involvement in the launch of a new division.
Development of a customer sales base was imperative.
Involvement in review and merchandising of product.
Management support was constant and ongoing.
Pros
Total involvement in all aspects of new division, management support.
Cons
It was a very enjoyable place to work.
shipping (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 22, 2015
A typical day of work was unloading shipping containers putting up stock learning team work to get the job done there were no hard part the enjoyable was getting the job done right.
Prodouctive workplace for most employees. Some take advantage of self worktime to take care of personal things rather than work.
N/A (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 22, 2014
A typial day is answering all incoming emails from our overseas factories. I work on multiple production projects throughout the day to get them released for production with our facotries. I go thorugh fittings in the afternoons to ensure our fit is correct and to our specifications. I work on pre-production patterns for market when I have a free moment. These are the patterns that we take to New York for our monthly market collections.
I have learned how production works for import and domestic projects. I learned how to perfect our 'spec packages' so our factories know exactly how to construct our garment according to our specs. I have excelled at patternmaking and am continuously learning new, intuative ways of creating new patterns.
I hve been fortunate to work under a very determined, and structured boss who expects timely executions on all of our prjects. It helps me maintain my goals for work and pushes me to accomplish everything that is given to me. She knows what each employee on her team is capable of accomplishing and holds everyone to a high standard.
Most of the people I work with are very hard-working, goal oreinted people, which pushes me to work harder each day as well. Some people choose to use their work time for personal phonecalls and abuse privelges of working independently. This makes the amount of work people are given uneven.
The hardest part of the job is seeing people abuse the priveleges of working solo while still maintaining my strong work ethic.
The best part of my job is having the ability to ask questions at any time as well as having to
  more... opportunity to learn and work continusously on patterns and with accomplished patternmakers and merchandisers with many years of experience.  less
Fashion Design and Production company
Associate Designer and Production Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 24, 2014
One of the last design companies still standing in San Francisco
fast-paced clothing manufaturer
Assistant Merchandiser/Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 5, 2012
I learned a lot at this company, they are a great model for a successful long-term company. Assisted head designer with every aspect of designing 11 lines a year supplying to major department stores. The job consisted in everything from sketching designs, buying fabrics and trims, creating garments, traveling, interacting with sales team each market, created junior and missy dresses, separates and knitwear. There were lots of responsibilities but kept us very busy.
Pros
free lunches some days, advancement, bonuses, medical