Byer California

• Supportive environment
  • Trust in colleagues
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

Personally I had a pleasant working experience

I like the fact that I was able to work without people breathing down my neck about the day to day tasks. It was very independent and as long as you were responsible and did an exceptional job at completing all your tasks, there was a lot of freedom to work well.

It was fun most of the time.

Byer Ca. was my college in Garment Industry. Every day was different. Always full of good stress and excitement. Something new to learn every day. Company has come a long way ,thanks to Mr. Byer. Mr Byer a very generous man. Great teacher. I loved how you see how a roll of fabric ,would come as a dress, blouse or a pant. It was amazing. It was magic.

Pros

Profit Sharing. Great Retirement program.

Horrible company

This company is toxic. Too much work for little pay. People are stuck here. No support. Manager are toxic and should be sued. You check email everyday and do more than what you are paid for. Stressful

Pros

Good start and learn a lot the hard way

Cons

Management is unprofessional

Family Atmosphere

Learned valuable information from my 32 years at Byer - helped shape me. Hardest part of job was witnessing the changes to the apparel manufacturing culture and hardships on retailers with the advent of ecom. Management leaves you alone and trusts you are doing your job - very loyal.

Lack of management

-This place is OK. -There is no Sick leave. You have to use your vacation PTO if you get sick. -No retirement from day 1. they do some sort of own retirement plan. No gym membership There is no proper benefit system in the place.

Pros

relax work environment

Cons

benefits are no good.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Shipping and receving

Warehouse is a dedicated work at times it's best to know your way around a warehouse be determined to work long hours at times even holidays and weekends Saturday

Great first job - but Senior employees are stuck in their old ways

Great learning experience, but the older employees are stuck on their old ways and grumpy with an attitude, manager does not tell them anything for treating new employees fairly. Pattern makers yell at spec writers and no one says anything. it can be uncomfortable. Many leave by 6 months no more then 1 year.

Old School Garment Manufacturer

Byer has great people working there, many of which have been there for a long time. However, this old fashion company needs an overhaul. The way in which it conducts business and treats it's employees has much to be desired. There is no human resource department and a poor antiquated company culture. Although they offer a very good health benefits package and profit sharing program, it is not worth working for a company that is not loyal to its employees.

Pros

Travel

Cons

Poor working conditions. No perks

wear many different hats

This is a place where you are expected to learn new things and be self directed which is encouraged . If you don't follow this you will be micro managed.

Pros

family is important, learn many new skill sets

Cons

management is lacking

Fun, outgoing

My experiences there was really good. All my coworkers, my manager and my assistant got along so well. We had a really strong teamwork skills. The only bad thing was the things that cooperate didn't make any sense

Good Company to Work For

People care about others and the drive to continue a SF Bay Area wholesale staple. Company cares and wants to do right by their employees and customers.

Easy going laid back

Very laid back place to work. Could use some help with inter departmental communications. I've learned to in order to be a great leader you must first be a good student

Pros

Negotiable hours/shifts

Cons

Semi annual inventory assistance

No corporate culture with rude managers

Poorly managed by bunch of MAD MEAN girls! Seriously mean, rude, unprofessional managers in the office! No career advance no training no review and no rewards! You will never get any kind and warm words from your managers.

Pros

Health benefits

Cons

Poor management

Not much growth

Not too much opportunity for growth. Same work can get really repetitive everyday. Work is not very organized. Work hours 9-6. Standard benefits are provided.

wouldn't recommend

poor management. no employee appreciation. no company culture. overworked, no growth opportunities. okay experience to gain if you're starting out in the industry

Pros

good benefits

Cons

no growth, no company culture

Not a company of the future

Byer California has been the same company for 50 years...and that's not a good thing in fashion or for women. They do not embrace technology. Absolutely no company culture. No review structure. The work was varied and interesting at times, but ended up being a waste of time because there was no vision for the future of the company.

Pros

free parking, variety of work

Cons

Low pay for SF, Management weak, No review structure.

Amazing and productive seeing fabric turn into a garment.

Work enviorment was very hyped. Never a dull moment. Learning to work as a team,with managers and merchandizers. Working with all types of nationalities. Finalizing our cutting orders was the most difficult of all.It needed 3 authorized approvals. Putting the puzzle together was the biggest accomplishment at the end of the day.

Pros

Profit sharing

Cons

Excellent work place that provided guidance

Management opened my perspective on roles as a newly promoted key holder. Management also informed cor workers and I on new, approachable techniques to make customers comfortable. Politely aided customers with need of assistance or had any questions about the product. The most difficult part of the job was updating the store's style, but it was also the most enjoyable task.

Pros

Experience, time management, and organization

Cons

No healthcare and miscommunication

Great Experience

Byer California is a great place to work. It's family owned very welcoming. I would encourage anyone to work at Byer because you get to know everyone and are able to develop yourself in multiple areas of the business.

great environment

At the office was always busy, I learned every day something new, I was surrounded by fantastic people, the fun part of the job was to meet the deadlines of the production.

family owned

not a place to work in IT. Too small of an environment. Management changes their min on the fly, from day to day. It's a scary place to work if you are looking for job security.

Pros

nice people

Cons

no perks, commute is bad, no raises, no security, no love

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Byer California. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

1.5
InHerSight Score
1.2Personal Development
1.7Career Opportunities
1.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight
  • Byer California
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?