CBS News Employee Reviews

Management and communication need work but overall an exciting place to work
Senior Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2018
Smart hard working people. Dedicated journalists who love what they do. Better for young people who don't need to worry about work/life balance. If you work hard and get to know the right people, you will advance. Very competitive environment. Not much time off until you put in a few years. Good benefits but they are not free. Management needs work. Good with programming, not always good with people. There is a lot of negativity and bitterness but with a thick skin you can cut through that. They do what they can to make things work but its a tough business.
Pros
Good benefits, smart people, family feeling
Cons
Management, communication need work
CBS News- Business Affairs
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  555 West 57th StreetDecember 10, 2018
A typical day was reviewing license and screener requests from our external vendors such as Wazee-Digital, BBC Education and Herzog & Company. Reporting directly to the Manager and Director of Rights and Clearances I was in charge of flagging any 3rd party material during our screening process as well as updating any rights data share drives that pertained to our segments.
Pros
Good people, benefits, prestigious company, flexible boss
Cons
Isolated offices, older technology
Fast paced work environment with interesting challenges
Director, Broadcast Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2018
I enjoyed building the broadcast marketing unit within CBS News. The job entailed interacting with all of the broadcasts; correspondents; news directors and general managers all with an eye to building audience for the CBS News broadcasts.

As Unit Director, I was able to recruit young talent and develop them so that they would be ready for promotion outside of my Unit.

A fun challenging place to work.
Political work environment going in a confusing direction
Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2018
CBS News has mad a number of management mistakes that has left many employees feeling under appreciated, forgotten, and unable to advance without playing office politics.
17 years and laid off
Producer (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 23, 2018
CBS decided to hire younger slashing the jobs of many experienced workers, some of whom had been with the company 20 years. While CBS thought it was saving money, typos and lack of service abounds but the folks at the top do not care as long as it does not cut into their fat paycheck.
Pros
a free hat every two years
Cons
bad management, lack of communication
Interesting Internship
News Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2019
The intern class is small so you get to know everyone and build relationships when group activities come up. However, in your own department you will probably be the only intern. The work environment was great and there was a lot of opportunity to learn and get involved.
Legendary organization
Producer (Former Employee) –  LondonMarch 26, 2018
I had a steady career advancement in my 28 yers at CBS News. Constant travel was a requirement but gave me the chance to witness major news events in places all over the world. Compensation was commensurate with the 10-16 hour days and travel to dangerous stories such as wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Pros
travel, compensation
Cons
Shrinking staff, high stress, time demands
Review
CBS News Reporting and Writing Internship (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 5, 2019
I was an intern over the summer. I spent most of the time in and out of the office. I enjoyed getting out into the field and learning from professionals.
Not a place anyone would recommend
Contributor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 29, 2018
CBS continues to be a toxic environment for the past three decades. This is not a company that promotes women or educational, opportunities - it is one that feeds on itself to the bones.
Fun place to work
Broadcast Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2018
CBS NEWS productions is no longer. They went out of business several years ago. However, it was a great place to work. It provided a lot of experience for young people just breaking into the business.
Pros
Fast paced environment
Cons
No benefits
Ok place to work
Producer/Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2018
Good work/life balance. This is a decent place to work. People are nice and not backstabbers. You can learn alot here and its centrally located. They are terrible at promoting people of color.
Pros
nice people
Cons
Lacks diversity
Great learning environment
News Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2014
My time at CBS as a National News Analyst allowed me to learn hands on how to interact with viewers. On the daily, I would cumulate and compile viewer data for executive producers and marketing teams. I learned that there is something to be learned at all stages in one's career and just how important audience research is.
I had a great direct manager, but felt the human resources associate I was assigned was not able to assist in growing my career (after three years).
I had well balanced, kind and always ready to answer a question coworkers. I made a great friend in this role too.
The hardest part of the job was sifting through the trashy, bigoted and bias reviews that some of the CBS National News programming would receive. Most was not of this nature, but there were some very bad apples mixed in.
I enjoyed the research, cumulation and compilation. It was great to know my work impacted programming based off of audience preference.
Pros
Full hour lunch, holiday party, large desk, healthcare, benefits
Cons
Lack of growth
Great first job
Chief Videographer (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDAugust 14, 2018
You learn a lot of the ins and outs as you progress in the news industry. It's a totally different ballgame when you are actually are working for a news station, and what you grew up thinking working at a news station would be about.
Working in News
PRODUCTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAJune 22, 2018
Don't recommend it if you want to keep a healthy soul. People are cold, pay is poor and there is little to no leadership and shared vision. The only thing holding this organization is the brand.
Cbs
Network News Cameraman (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2018
Great company, but management team needs improvement. Company treated union employees unfairly, not monetarily but as unwanted children of the family.
Pros
Proud to work there.
Cons
I felt unwanted at times.
Stressful work environment, no room for advancement
Broadcast Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2017
Little to no flexibility regarding work schedule, schedule changed weekly which made planning ahead very difficult, management was very stressed and this rubbed off on staff, compensation was barely minimum wage with no room for advancement
Pros
Big name recognition
Cons
almost everything else
Fast paced and unpredictable environment
Sunday Morning Unit Manager, (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2018
I worked at CBS News for more than nineteen years where I held three different positions. My favorite position was working as the Business Manager for the Northeast Bureau. The most enjoyable part of my job was working closely with the correspondents, producers and camera crews. The most difficult part of my job was having to return new hire paperwork to freelance employees who I had never personally met. Some times, I would have to return paperwork simply because a date was recorded incorrectly.
Pros
Working in media, given many holidays/personal days off.
Cons
a few egotistical personalities and bias reporting
Low pay,fun job
Assistant Producer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 3, 2017
exciting job, long hours.....couldn't pay the bills. Was the there all the time,worked with great people. Loved the challenging work,. i had to leave for personal reason. I never could look back because I could never live on that salary.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
no-benifits, low pay
Poor work environment, little work to do most of the day,
BROADCAST DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2018
Poor work environment, little work to do most of the day, then rush, rush, rush for 2 hours.
Work all major holidays
Overall management was poor.
The hardest part of the day was between 3pm and 5pm.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Poor work environment, little work to do most of the day
wonderful
Data Entry Microfilm Oper./ Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2017
A topical work day is trying to entry as much employee data into the system. My take away from this job is accounting is hard. Management was friendly but yet professional, dissipate the different culture environment. The hardest part of the job was making the monthly dead line, and the most enjoyable and gratifying part of the job is making the monthly dead line.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CBS News. Our community is ready to answer.