CDI/CDC (Continuing Development Incorporated/Child Development Centers)

CDI/CDC (Continuing Development Incorporated/Child Development Centers) Employee Reviews

Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJune 11, 2019
I worked for cdi for several years. The supervisors were horrible!! They just gossip about staff. And they treated me very unfair. I loved working with the children.they had good benefits. But the manegment is just horrible!
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
Official response from CDI/CDC (Continuing Development Incorporated/Child Development Centers)
June 17, 2019

Thank you for providing your feedback. Glad to hear that the children and benefits were a positive experience for you. As for your comments on management, we encourage all employees to reach out to any level of management or Human Resources when they have concerns or feel their issues are not being addressed in an appropriate manner to ensure they are treated fairly and working in a positive and constructive environment.

High-School where mean girls rule
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 7, 2019
Long hours, lacking breaks, no planning time, SS/PD is unavailable. Have had a number of SS. Company just doesn't care unless your center is making money. I use to be proud to work here. These centers are a mess.
June 12, 2019

Thank you for your review. All breaks should be taken and hours and time planned in advance to meet the schedules and planning needs for your program. We encourage you and all employees to reach out to higher level leadership or Human Resources if you feel further attention is needed to these matters.

Toxic culture
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 9, 2019
Very negative and toxic culture. Management sets a terrible example for employees. Employees are not encouraged to think for themselves due to punitive actions.
May 15, 2019

It is unfortunate that you had that experience as we have some great leaders and employees that have had some great ideas and have been able to contribute toward their center and regional programs and processes. We encourage our employees to reach out to the next level manager or Human Resources if they don’t feel they are being heard or have concerns about operations or management. Thank you for your feedback.

outdated systems, no consistent academic standards, toxic
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 8, 2019
Centers are like islands. CDI is not consistent with basic academic or aesthetic standards (ex. No hoarding allowed for health/safety and a designated employee/adult only zone). Many centers do whatever they want for lesson plans, especially for the after school program.

There hasn’t been an all staff/in-service day in over 2 years! So your experience depends a lot on site supervisor. There are very little consequences/enforcement for them as well regarding (free) things like site cleanliness, document organization, enforcing teachers to be mentally present with the children and checking lesson plans for adherence to CDI’s philosophy and curriculum teaching prompt boxes.

There is job security because the agency is short staffed and it takes A LOT to be fired.

Ironically, some centers ARE amazing. But the communication breakdowns within the agency, turnover, and lack of enforcement of standards cause children elsewhere to miss out on quality preschool care and have a stereotypical “daycare” experience.
Pros
30-40 is full time, hour lunch break, easy interview
Cons
No consequences for checked out staff, short staffed
May 15, 2019

Thank you for providing your feedback. We invite employees who have concerns to reach out to any level of leadership in the organization, or Human Resources, to share their feedback if they feel their concerns are not being communicated appropriately. We all have the same goal to ensure our children and families have top quality programs, adjust lessons and programs to meet the local children and community needs and we encourage our teachers to share with us when they find there are areas that need to be addressed.

Split-shift before and after school program teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 25, 2019
I loved working with the kids. Of all ages really. I was working there during a period of transition. We started with a totally blank classroom portable and no staff. We worked through people coming and going and adjusting to a new classroom dynamic. Management was a struggle.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
management
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAMarch 21, 2019
They were always short handed. As a teacher you were expected to cook and try and teach the children at the same time. Management would not back up a teacher if there was a problem child.
March 25, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We encourage our employees to reach out to the next level leadership, or HR, when they don’t feel their concerns (including time management for meal prep, lesson planning,etc) are being addressed in an appropriate way by their direct manager. It is our on-going commitment to have centers fully staffed at all time so teachers can do their best work.

Great place to work and learn from children.
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAJanuary 28, 2019
Great place to work and learn from children. You need to provide wonderful and meaning learning experiences for children. You need to work at a fast pace to get things done because you can fall behind.
Pros
Summer Camps
Cons
Load Work
February 6, 2019

Thank you for your work with us, and for letting us know more about your experience. We value your feedback and have recently updated our job descriptions to more closely align with the teaching roles and responsibilities.

Depending on Site Supervisor persona will depend what kind of work environment you'll be in.
Assistant Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAJanuary 22, 2019
Afterschool Program typical day is checking in children, snack then small groups/ planned teacher directed activities than physical/outdoor play then it was pick up time. The center I worked for was primary 99% low-income children and making a difference in those children lives was the most rewarding!

Since it was a state-funded center the hardest and most demanding part of the job was paperwork...ugh! Not enough time for planning was given, only 1hr day and sometimes it was split in 30min. increments. Often times our planning time would be interrupted with the demands of the children, site supervisor or coworkers. Most teachers were responsible for 14+ children portfolio which includes 6 sections and in those sections included 3 items a picture with an anecdotal note, anecdotal note & work with an anecdotal note.

Math;14 children x 6 section = 84 piece of paperwork x 3 picture, note & work = 252+ piece of paperwork to complete within 6months time frame.

Our Site Supervisor at that time would threaten to write us up if we did not complete our paperwork so even though we were not supposed to take our work home, a lot of us did in fear of being written up.

Lastly, we did not get very much supplies for the children, just the basics to get by. Sadly our Site Supervisor was very frugal and have a feeling she did so, so she can collect a bonus check or she kept items for her own personal use. It was pulling teeth whenever we asked for a reasonable item for the center/children to use.

Honestly, I last there for so long because of the children and the wonderful teamwork
  more... I created with the staff there.  less
Pros
Working with the children and staff are worth every moment!
Cons
Controlling min. to min. Site Supervisor, Area Management are friends with them so they tend to not listen to the employees below them, no room for growth
January 30, 2019

Thank you for your response. Your work supporting our communities, families and children is appreciated! We have received feedback regarding supply and center needs, and have put changes in place. We encourage employees to feel free to reach out to any management staff should they have needs they don’t feel are addressed. While the documented learning can be challenging, it is valuable for the children’s family and communities to understand what the children are learning in the centers. That said, we are training center leadership to build in more time or scheduled hours to allow employees to have the proper time to address the logistics and documented learning. We appreciate your feedback and work at our center.

Productive and Fun Workplace
Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 28, 2018
Fun job. Great coworkers. Extensive professional development
Family oriented. Goal oriented. Upward mobility. Good benefits. Travel. Flexible h
Work Stability
Current Date Assistant Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CANovember 20, 2018
I was hired and to work as a Assistant Site Supervisor. A new grant was received and I was then placed to run this component. It appeared to be going well. However, my manager didn't accurately fulfill her deadlines, so the grant was lost and also was my position.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
couldn't lo longer afford health care benefits
Company declining - children are the cost
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaSeptember 19, 2018
First, I love my community and children. It is what has kept me here. But sadly, I am starting to look for other jobs, as are my peers. I work at a private center where my families pay a high price for quality care. I have always prided myself on the quality of my program. The children still receive care and compassion, as they are like our own children. But the programming I was able to offer before, I can no longer provide, even though my parents pay even more this year in tuition. The higher up management has changed the ordering system to where everything now needs to be placed by a ticket. Which is fine if they had a system and the man power in place that works. They moved forward too fast before they had systems in place. During summer, I did not receive any of my orders I placed. So, I had to change all of my programming for what I could pull together from my cabinets (not what I advertised to my families). Now, in the school year I am still not getting my orders. We are heading into the fourth month of this new system and they still have not figured it out. Myself and others have resorted to using our very own hard earned money to buy things for our kids (because the program is suffering). It is hard to do emergent curriculum when your shelves our bare and you are not allowed to go shop based on your teachers observations of the children. Everything is communicated through email (used to be high touch communication). Also, in the past seven months, there is no longer a connection with management. People do not communicate. There is no more authenticity.  more... This company has become very frustrating to work for and making it almost impossible to provide quality - what the children deserve.  less
Pros
Kids and Community
Cons
Management, unable to provide quality care due to management decisions.
October 16, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback as an employee. Firstly, we want to thank you for working to always put the children in our center’s first. We recognize that with the operational changes made, this has impacted our centers and staff. With the new purchasing system and staff in place, we are hopeful this will begin to streamline process for ordering. As we continue to work through these developments, we appreciate everything you do for your staff and our centers.

Would never recommend
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 18, 2018
Used to be great but went through management changes and no one seems to know what they are doing.Very little to no communication. There is a lot of staff turn over and the children are suffering. There is no longer money to get basic supplies.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
October 16, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your experience working as a Teacher for us. We acknowledge our operations have had to change some processes, including purchasing, to meet contractual needs. With change comes challenges, and we continue to work through any challenges to better help our staff and provide enriched programs. We appreciate your hard-work for the company and know that these operational changes, with time, will result in the betterment of our centers.

Company imploding over and over
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CaliforniaSeptember 14, 2018
Very broken company...from top down. I would advise to stay far away. Corporation poorly run....paid salary with work load far beyond 8 hours per day...
Benefits
Cons
Too many to list
September 24, 2018

Thank you for your comment and feedback. The company did undergo changes over the last year, some of which were required. Under our new structure, we will be able to better access staff needs and new avenues of support as we continue to grow and transition.

Great company ..
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sacramento caAugust 28, 2018
Greaatttt company , nice people ( sometimes ) parents are great , kids are great . Food is great , my job as assistant teacher was wonderful. I would recommended this job to multiple people
Pros
Eat and really interact with children
Cons
Commute
Nice people to work with but more like a babysitting
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CAAugust 5, 2018
Most of the people working for the company were nice and accepting. Does not offer many hours, mostly part time positions with occasionally split shift. Felt like a babysitting job that you needed to think of activities, but babysitting paid more.
August 13, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We have shared your comments with our leadership team. As an organization, our focus is on program quality and child-lead learning. We want our Teachers to have a voice in our current evolution of educational policy and practice. We strive to offer various opportunities based on the center’s current program needs. We appreciate your time, and will take notice of your feedback as we continue to develop our centers.

exciting and fun environment to work with
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 28, 2018
During the past years of working in this Continuing Development Inc. company, i learned a lot from children, parents, co-workers, and site supervisor. I learned about different kinds of people from different cultures. The most enjoyable part of this job was i got a a chance to be around with children everyday, teach them and play with them.
Site Director - Lindbergh Child Development Center (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 26, 2018
This company cares deeply about clients and staff, while providing quality care and education to all ages and support for families. Training opportunities and advancement possibilities are available.
It was a new job experience and learned new skills
Associate Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 1, 2018
I enjoyed the opportunity I had to work with children 3-12 and learn some new observation skills that can be used in the preschool setting. It was difficult when staff started leaving because there was more pressure on the teachers who stayed behind.
December 4, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We appreciate hearing from you, and your service with the company.

The kids were uplifting
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMay 30, 2018
Prepare classroom then go pick up children from pick up station then take them to school playground and play for thirty minutes then take kids inside to eat prepared meals by teachers. Help children with daily homework. then play and enjoy the rest of the afternoon until parents arrived.
Pros
enjoyed mentoring children.
Cons
the supervisor would leave and fellow co- workers took advantage.
gret place to work
Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 29, 2018
love all my students, and some of the co teachers I work with. helping out my students is something I love to do! I workd here for about two years and for personal reasons I had to say good bye but the I returned and they rehired me I love my hours of work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CDI/CDC (Continuing Development Incorporated/Child Development Centers). Our community is ready to answer.