CGI Group Employee Reviews

Found 1,071 reviews matching the search See all 2,215 reviews
Productive, work life balance
Technology Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 20, 2018
I enjoyed working at CGI, it was the best job I've had in my entire IT career. They had a great culture of inclusiveness, free lunches, social programs, annual corp dinners, and social lunches with prizes. They offer salaried positions, and great leave time. Pay was on par with my position nationally. It was just a great place to work at until the local office as closed and consolidated. But they did offer and a great severance package, and along with my stock, and 401k I was handsomely rewarded.
Pros
Just any overall great place to work at.
Cons
To many management changes
A good company with some poor leaders
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 21, 2018
Everything about the mission and vision is great. The company culture is awesome and there are great professionals to get to work with.

The opportunities for advancement that are often spoke about have never really manifested. The only opportunities made available require relocation or extensive travel.

The free training offered via SkillPort is a great benefit and the company will reimburse certification costs provided they have a business need. The tuition reimbursement program is also very good.

Upper levels of management seem out of touch and too focused on shareholder interests. Middle management are a mixed bag. There are some who are interested in your growth and development and will actively promote you for new opportunities, while others seem only concerned with making themselves look good to the executive leadership.

All in all it's a good company if you are already an established professional with 10 plus years; but, if you are still building experience, it is a slog to get anywhere.
Pros
Benefits, company culture, varied work
Cons
out of touch leadership, profit over people
Pay not competitive
Change Management (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 27, 2018
I have worked here for quite some time. The biggest issue I have had is that, while being promoted within from the bottom, my pay has not increased competitively. I am the lowest paid member in my field, due to what they called "pay anchoring". Essentially, because I started in a low Pay Bracket, even though I was promoted, I stayed in the same bracket, unlike those who were hired into that said position. Despite my tenure, and the fact I worked hard to be promoted, I still don't make as much as new hires. This company does have some benefits, such as a Shared Purchase Plan. However, beware, as they do make many false promises, and drag things out as long as possible when it comes to raises, promotions, or other benefits that employees have rightly earned.
Pros
Spp, Paid Vacation Time, Paid sick days, Maternity Leave
Cons
Not competitive pay
Senior Programmer-Analyst - Technical Team Lead (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaAugust 12, 2018
I worked at CGI full-time

Pros

Interesting work with diverse set of clients, technologies, opportunities.
Great people,
Great culture of sharing, and values.
Strong ethics
Well-established Management Foundation, defining how business operates

Cons

As an IT Consulting business, its important to recognize that your value relates directly to billable work. As such, declines in the local market needs will impact continued employment, and ongoing its rare to get training unless OJT or on your own time. Work/Life balance can be tough when delivering complex engagements. But this is all the nature of the business.
Excellent company to work for.
Signals Intelligence Analyst instructor (Former Employee) –  Goodfelow AFB, TXOctober 18, 2018
Fantastic management culture that seem to genuinely care for their employees. Compensation was more than adequate for the locality. The only issue is that you will get little to no support from upper management if there is an issue with the customer. You can and will be laid off at a moment's notice even if there is no justification.
Pros
Excellent group of co workers and local management.
Cons
Hostile work environment between government and contractors.
Enjoyable Place to Work
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Belton, TXJune 14, 2018
Overall, I would say that CGI is a great company to work with a lot of flexibility and a culture that cares about their employees. Team culture vary depending on what project you are on, but everyone I have been in contact with in the company was always very helpful and kind.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Great Co-Workers, Opportunities to Learn
Cons
Healthcare seems lacking for company size, Compensation can be lacking compared to industry, Promotion path very ambiguous
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 2, 2018
Typicall Day - every day is busy, lots of online meetings and phone calls, lots of problems to resolve; sometimes choatic

More than adequate online (Skillport) opportunities, plus tuition assistance - Learned Much on my own thru the job function and research

Management: Variable - frequent reorganization, acquisitions, changes in processes and decisions

Workplace culture - mixed

Hardest part of the job - keeping up with the constant changes in organization and processes, trying to stress excellence

Being busy, solving problems, making a difference
Pros
Very large company, lots of opportunities for change or growth
Cons
Salaries are poor and not competitive
Meh working conditions. Young culture is great though.
Business Analyst, Consultant (Current Employee) –  Belton, TXNovember 27, 2018
Your day to day depends on your project. It can be mind numbing easy, absolutely nothing, or straight up abusive. Some clients are better than others. Management can be nice, but don't expect anything more than a 1 or 2% raise a year no matter what.
Great Company to work for.
SharePoint Developer /Administrator (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 21, 2018
While they are still a contracting company and jobs are only limited by the contract. There is great opportunity for promotion from within the company and other types of carrier advancements. They give UNLIMITED SICK Leave and a great match savings plan. The only reason I left was the company lost my contract and I had no desire to move.
Pros
Unlimited Sick leave. Great pay. Carrier advancement. Great 401k Benefits
Cons
DOD contractor and Jobs are relitive to contracts.
Not the company it used to be
Director (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 20, 2018
CGI used to be a great place to work but over the years new policies have been adopted such as the one requiring employees to work onsite all the time that make it a less attractive option. Annual raises are almost non-existent and job training / advancement is real contingent on your manager. Voluntary turnover is at an all time high and for some reason the upper management is scratching its head about why.
Pros
stock options
Cons
limited raises, no flexibility

Want to know more about CGI Group?

Ask a question
Not a bad place for a starter company
Unix/Linux/Solaris Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 29, 2018
At our work center we do systems administration. We receive requests for help and fix issues that pop up. Our administrators are scattered all over the country, and most work remotely. We also do other related tasks such as upgrades, patching, etc. We are understaffed so people who put in many hours during the week are also expected to put in many during the weekend. Sometimes we are able to take time off during the week to make up for it. Overall working experience is satisfactory. Compensation is reasonable but certainly not anywhere near top-tier. The big change coming is that management is moving towards not allowing work from home. So all the administrators that are scattered around the country will still be scattered, but scattered in various offices. A lot of talent will be lost soon, as many won't accept having extremely long commutes to still be scattered.
Pros
First line managers tend to be good, used to be able to work from home
Cons
lower pay, losing work from home
Sound management, slow to respond to market trends
DIRECTOR, CONSULTING SERVICES (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 6, 2018
The company is responsibly run but often a cultural and management difference amongst different projects/programs.

Responsibility to move around internally is placed on the employee, little to no help internally.
Pros
Trust the people here and that they will do the right thing for the client.
Cons
Benefits declining rapidly, including training opportunities
Easy going job with some opportunity to move up.
Accounting Clerk II (Current Employee) –  District of Columbia, DCJuly 10, 2018
Working here is nice, you come in and you do what your supposed to and when you leave you don't have to worry about bringing work home with you. It is more of a production type work environment but coming out of my last career I was used to that type of work. I enjoy working here along side my co-workers. There is no hard part of my job unless we pick up in pace which can make it a little overwhelming but other than that I have nothing bad to say about CGI.
Pros
Company will provide food for certain meetings from time to time.
Cons
Healthcare benefits are not that great.
Advancement is good
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 21, 2018
CGI was a good place to work. They need to work on notifying their members of changes quicker than the day of the change. They are very good about promoting from within. Benefits are okay, but management was a bit rough around the edges. The hardest part of the job was the people. The most enjoyable part was learning new things. Always have a plan B if you work for this company, they will pull the rug from under you without notice.
Pros
social club events, christmas parties
Cons
management, honesty
Fast paced environment with room to grow and expand you IT Horizons
MANAGER - ENTERPRISE ENGINEERING (Current Employee) –  Salem, CTOctober 30, 2018
CGI is a special place to work. I've never worked at another company that offered as much opportunity to get experiance in so many areas of IT.
Management is always very respectful of work/life balance and accommodates more often than not.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Benefit costs are a little high.
Great opportunity
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 2, 2018
They hired me without certs with a condition to obtain them, which I did. The workplace was good and their patience was priceless as I grasped the concepts and learned to with in the field. I had experience, just never had any certs. They gave me a chance and I did well by them. Had the Lead supervisor job for 5 years before going to another company. Wod have limed to have stayed with them.
Pros
Leave, raises, flexible hours
Cons
Rising cost of healthcare, hard to jump from, job to job
Good job security
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 4, 2018
I have been with CGI for more than 5 years and never worried about job security. That's a lot of peace of mind. CGI has lot of clients and have good footprint in allmost all states of USA. Very helpful place for entry level or graduate professionals. In the long run, you will feel it is more difficult to switch projects to gain more experience. Management does not interact often with employees as most of the employees work at client locations. But there are few good managers who take good care of that.
Pros
Job security, share purchase plan, profit participation plan
Cons
Salaray, promotions, recognitions, career advancement
Great Company
Functional/Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Belton, TXJuly 30, 2018
CGI is a great company to start for after college. The people are very friendly and always love to hep you with any work you need. The company culture was great. Highly recommend this place.
Pros
Work life balane
Cons
The salary
Run!
Cyber Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandSeptember 18, 2018
Very poor management. Rude and hateful and they try to micromanage you even if you have had years experience doing this type of work at another firm. Micromanaged to the point of harassment. They drag their orientation out to a year so you don’t get all the benefits starting out which is bull and they tell you it is in your favour to not get burnt out. Bull. Terrible. I hate this company.
Good Global IT Firm
Content Management Strategist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 19, 2018
CGI is a good place to work. It provides good benefits and work life balance. It offers services in the areas of Digital Transformation, but does not invest too deeply in its workforce to build skillsets. Its a tough place to work with cutting edge technology because unless the technology is tied to a paying customer there is minimal investment for training. You must be billable or you get a 2-week notice.
Pros
Work life balance, relaxed work atmosphere
Cons
Job Stability, Limited promotion potential, Limited training and skill advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CGI Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss