CMA CGM

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging

Good company in the shipping industry

Good things: Benefit package when working abroad and vacation days.Bad things: really political and a lot of top down approach in the management style. Not a lot of flexibility and very rigit way of working. extreme micro-management, favoritism to senior reps.

dont accept jobs on the 3rd floor (export/import customer service)

Good things: Benefit package, vacation days, certain departments like equipment, cargo readiness or hazardous are chill. Bad things: Extremely Top heavy (3-5 management positions to 5 people actually doing the work), improvement ideas are not being implemented, extreme micro-management, favoritism to senior reps, not enough people to do the job in the export and import department while being held to the highest standard and being micromanaged the most.Anyone on the 3rd floor is being held to a completely different standard than any other teams. I moved from the export dept. to another department and it was night and day! So much easier, more relaxed and chill in ANY other department, its ridiculous. Its still top heavy and micro-manage-y though in all departments and not the right people in charge.

Pros

Benefit package, vacation days

Cons

Extremely Top heavy, micro-management, favoritism

awesome place to work

I really enjoyed my time year. Only downsides were the compensation and rigid structure of the work environment. Fast paced and very interesting projects.

Work Place Culture

I would say that I was blessed to have worked under the same director for the last five years at CMA CGM. I did work under two different managers with totally different managerial skills. I must say both teams felt like family.

Get in, learn the industry, and get out

(CMA) is not a bad company. Recent changes to how they have the company going forward has made things tough. The vacation time and the benefits are excellent. Those cannot be beat by any other company out here. That’s why a lot of people stay. The pay is OK for a college student but if you have a family to raise, it’s really not a lot. The people there are amazing but you will work more than what you are paid for. A lot of departments do a ton of work but aren’t paid a fair salary for the work they put in. I would recommend to get your foot in the door, learn everything you can about the industry, and then go to another company that will pay you better. There are advancement opportunities but it’s not about what you know. It really is who you know to get ahead.

Pros

Benefits and vacation

Cons

Salary, micromanaged

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Not the best place to work

They like to provide a lot of fluff like most jobs during the hiring process, once you're in then you realize it was a big mistake. There is a poor work life balance.....you have PTO but good luck trying to use it in most departments. Tons of favoritism....those people tend to be able to take off whenever you want. They expect you to work above and beyond your hours with no regard to what you have going on in your personal life. In departments like the equipment department employees are extremely burnt out and are constantly being delegated more role by their managers with not enough time in the day to complete the work. Expectations of what you should be accomplishing during the day are extremely unrealistic. You will work your butt off while your manage goes home early and they expect you to stay and cover.

Pros

good co-workers

Cons

everything.

I understand why they’re always hiring!

This was probably the worst assignment I’ve ever been on. The upper manager I was assigned to was tremendously rude, and snarky. I dosed of in a training that I was thrown into, and had no idea what was even going on in the training and one of her colleagues told her I was flat out sleep, which was the furthest thing from the truth. So I explained to her that I had dozed off like a normal person, FYI, this 1 hr training turned into a 3 hour training, and I had no break prior to this training. But she barked at me so rudely, she raised her voice as if she were speaking to a child, and ended with DONT LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!

Very stressful work environment

-I would work 9-10 hour days with no lunch. -The company started taking a new approach and hiring people straight out of college instead of hiring within the group; people spend years trying to advance their career and lose out on opportunities now. -Management was terrible; very bad at communication within the group and their expectations of you. -Morale is horrible within the firm. -The hardest part of the job was feeling bullied by my manager. -The most enjoyable part of the job were the people around me.

Nothing to Say

I dont really have any additional information or details to provide on employment with this company. Nothing good or bad to say about it. No comment.

Low pay, absurd workload, high turnover rate, poor management

The best things about this company are PTO, benefits, gym (that you have no time to use unless you spend your lunchtime there or before or after work). No work–life balance since most of the departments are short-staffed and the workload is excruciating. If you have a doctor's appointment, you need to make up the time you were gone. Poor management and managers and directors could care less about your feedback and ideas. HR could also care less about your complaints.

Pros

Benefits, Pto, Optional Holidays

Cons

Poor management, excessive workload, low pay, no meetings or managers could care less about your ideas and feedback

No work-life balance

Time is spent doing countless reports all day, and supervisors/managers are on our case to get everything done which is impossible. We are required overtime, but then we get questioned if we need to work more than the required 2 hour overtime per week. We have to take the day off if we need to take care of anything personal.

Used to be Great

Always room for improvement. The good is great but the bad is bad. High turnover rate due to bad management and low morale. Work loads are heavy and something is always being communicated about imporovement while no actions take place.

Pros

Benefits, Gym

Cons

management, heavy workloads

Fast Pace, No structure

The job is nice for what it is. It pays very well which is why I know a lot of people stay. No culture at all and very boring. The place definitely needs some upgrading to management and they need to implement more things to get people involved at work.

Work place culture

Being part of the logistics team was fun, I loved my team and my direct manager. The general manager for the team was not such a nice guy. I believe that a team can only work together and find their common goals if they are not divided. This team was definitely divided between managers and team.

Do the day to day and learn the business. Never worked in logistics but there are alot of moving pieces and you have to pay attention and be engaged in its everyday processes.

Worst place ever!

The culture here is a joke. Unprofessional and high school at best. Its like all the nerds in high school have united at CMA and want desperately to form a "popular" clique. It is totally pathetic. HR and management are a complete joke. RUN AWAY!!

Benefits

Cons

Where do I start

N/a

I would recommend CMA-CGM to others seeking employment in the shipping and logistics field. Excellent opportunity for entry level positions and college grads.

Import Documentation-Terrible Dept!

Where do I begin?.... I loved my job and the company itself, however, the following and more prevented me from staying: Poor management, juvenile behavior, unfair and condescending behavior, encouraged cliquish behavior, poor training for new employees and/or lack thereof, etc. Don't expect much help from HR. They're primary concern is to protect existing management/leaders, as opposed to, retaining great employees. This translates to a high turn-over.

Pros

Benefits, pay, the employees, other depts.

Cons

Poor training, terrible management, unrealistic goals

Great Company

This is a professional, yet fun company to work for. This was a new industry for me and they trained and enabled me to flourish within my position. I enjoyed it.

Pros

Fast paced and engaging

Cons

Downsizing

High school culture

Job is very redundant. You can succeed if management likes you and you are male. Too many rules and regulations that do not bend under any circumstance. The work is not difficult once you learn the shipping language. It becomes redundant rather quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job is the PTO.

Pros

Great Benefits/ A lot of PTO

Cons

Poor Management/Job security

Stay away

Where do I begin? The pay, the culture, the communication. There has been a clear downhill trend with morale at CMA - no one is willing to assist other departments, the communication is abhorrent, and whenever a problem arises the dynamic becomes a blame game instead of addressing the actual problem. People who have worked at CMA for many years are leaving because of how bad the situation has become. Management is just awful for the most part and any notion of accountability among/between departments does not exist. CMA touts its “excellent customer service” as what sets it apart from its competitors but they’ve been steadily outsourcing the customer service jobs overseas to people who can barely communicate with our customers. Ultimately customer care is viewed as unimportant by management and our customers are suffering for it. Mobility is minimal, raises are laughable, and promotions within departments are political.

Pros

PTO + insurance

Cons

Pay, management, culture, etc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CMA CGM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.2
InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
2.5Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight