CNA Insurance Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Senior Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 16, 2018
This company provided a solid training for the insurance industry and assistance with difficult claims when needed. It involved training in multi lines and provided the foundation that I needed to secure another position elsewhere.
Pros
excellent training
Cons
nothing
Will be a great company in 5 years
Underwriting Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2018
Lots of organizational instability. New CEO has been in place for over a year but has not been very visible internally. There's lack of transparency from upper management, it's never clear what they're thinking, working on, changing leading to rumors spreading. Watercooler culture - there's always separate conversations outside of meetings. Pay is good. There are pockets where teams are lead by great leaders, so if you're lucky, you'd be in one of those groups.

There are bright spots of positive change, it is better than it was a year ago.

Management can be much more open, create more psychological safety, have fewer meetings, be more visible, develop a consistent vision, rebuild trust, stop the rotating door of executives, be truly invested in D&I and develop a more trusting culture. I wish management would be in contact with employees more often, to let them know what's happening - even if it's still a work in progress or to at least tell us there's still work being done. When you sit on a floor with SVPS and over yet you rarely see them --- it makes them not approachable.
Good place to work. Management was good. They were diverse and had good benefits.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2018
CNA is an insurance company downtown and they had a warehouse up North Chicago. I worked in both places. The work was steady, the staff was great, the pay was fair. Advancements opportunities were there if you applied yourself. Never had a problem with the company. Technology changed overtime and they no longer needed a records warehouse. Other than my layoff, I enjoyed my 5years at CNA.
Pros
Great place to work all the way around.
Cons
Job security is more on the administrative and corporate levels.
good place to wet your insurance feet, but there are better companies like Zurich & AIG
Policy Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJanuary 10, 2018
It's a very good place to learn many aspects of the field of insurance. The management appears to care for their employees. There is room for growth in knowledge and advancement. There are plans for improving the systems used within the company, but they're years away. As of now their systems are pretty much junk & you're expected to work with junk & turn it into gold.
Pros
great team environment
Cons
their systems & their way of measuring quality are terrible and antiquated
Expense cutting, Lack of management
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 1, 2018
Terrible. Management is poor. Lack of professional growth. Slow paced and very far behind in technology and slow to upgrade and/or change. Not a great place to work if you are looking to advance career past a senior level.
Good company to work for
Chicago, Illinois Billing Analyst - Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 24, 2017
Great environment.
Coworkers were very pleasant to work with.
Team oriented.
Training and development wasn't much help.
Opportunities were available for advancing career.
Loved working here....
Operations Coach (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CODecember 6, 2017
Worked with the company for several years and really enjoyed the work that I did and the people that I worked with. Opportunities for advancement were there; as with any company, depended on how hard you wanted to work for them.
Pros
People
Cons
Job Security
Productive, fun, lively
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 22, 2017
Scheduled interviews with hiring managers and candidates, sourced, phone screened candidates for various roles, travel arrangements, processed background checks and drug screens, updated ATS as well as Excel log
Pros
Beautiful atmosphere, great people
Cons
Very very long commute
Extremely busy, stressful enviroment due to change in Management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2017
Up until 6 months ago, this company was the best company I ever worked for The people and culture were great. It was a very positive work environment with a focus on work-life balance, and positive feedback. I loved my job and the people I supported. I had understood my job and the expectation in doing my job. Currently, under new management, things are stressful, negative, and unclear. My ratings would have been totally different 6 months ago.
Pros
Great Benefits, Great Co-workers
Cons
Stressful work environment, No job security, Uncertainty in direction company is going
Stressful environment with unrealistic management expectations
IT Director - Hosting, Storage Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2017
Executive management was more concerned about short term savings and not long term benefits to the organization. Continuous employee terminations to support outsourcing. Stressful environment to work in.
Pros
Decent salary and benefits
Cons
Unrealistic delivery expectations
Good place to work with a laid back atmosphere
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2017
this was a good contracting place to work where you get to learn a lot of things and out your footprint in the organization due to a lot of old legacy systems that need updating. Sometimes the red tape can cause productivity to slow.
comfortable environment and nice compensation
Administrative Assistant/Floor Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2017
A typical day at work is fast paced and energetic. The work/life balance is excellent, and the culture nice.I have learned to be independent and a quick learner, with sense of encouragement.
Pros
Nice compensation
Cons
lack of direction
management
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FloridaNovember 8, 2017
The newer management is stand offish. No interaction with employees. Not open to new ideas. Penny pinching on everything. They say it is an open door policy but they don't make you feel that way.
Pros
Time off
Cons
management
A good place to work
Application Engineer Senior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2017
It is possible to be there for a full career. In IT, it still is important to know and relate to the business, however your knowledge of IT is ultimately most critical.
Excellent Company
Contractor Assignment (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 3, 2017
Excellent Company, staff very help to assist us with working commercial claim for hurricane Harvey, Irma and Maria.Work environment is friendly atmosphere. CNA has built relationships with agents and brokers to meet the insurance needs of businesses of any size.
Leadership lacks vision
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2017
I read another person wrote about management making changes just to make a change. That sums it up in a nutshell. New leadership is cleaning house and does not have a true thought out plan.
Pros
Built strong peer relationships
Cons
No formal training
Cannot recommend. My understanding is that CNA is now defunct in St. Louis.
WORKERS COMPENSATION MEDICAL CLAIMS EXAMINER (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 2, 2017
Processed claims to ensure payment of medical bills and appropriate closing of claims. Management and coworkers were excellent. The job sometimes required long hours but, as a rule, the work week did not exceed 40 hours.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement was competitive but fair, pay and benefits good.
Cons
The company downsized and no longer has a workers' compensation claims office in St. Louis.
Changes for the sake of changing rather than making improvements
Knowledge Services Leader (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLNovember 1, 2017
Quick to change but slow to correct issues; new management team cutting groups without knowing what they offer without having a plan of where that work should go.
Benefits
workplace culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2017
Constant layoffs which result in low levels of moral.
The people are great to work with just wish they do more to stabilize the job security which would raise moral a lot.
Top management is only out for the bonus check
Corporate Security Control Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILOctober 25, 2017
I worked here for several years, which was great. Once my manager retired another manager took over and turned the place upside down. He started cleaning house and didn't care who it was. Anyone that was a threat to him had to leave, including me. Probably because I had the degrees, and all he had was experience.
Benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CNA Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.