CPS Energy Employee Reviews

Productive and friendly work place
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 13, 2018
Everyone there was very friendly and wanted to continuously help. I learned a lot about how the overall utility company worked. I spent time with each department and was only met with patience and coworkers who only wanted to help me understand.
Is a amazing place to work!
Energy Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 12, 2018
CPS Energy is a dynamic organization. While our operation revolves primarily around power plants and transmission lines, we are more than just engineers and equipment operators. Your co-workers can be found downtown, at one of our suburban customer service centers, or at any of our plants, substations or work sites. Altogether, we are part of a billion-dollar utility responsible for providing a valuable service to our community. Learn more about your company.
Far from the best place to work
Control Room Operator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 25, 2018
You always have the feeling that you are about to get fired. you are not allowed to make mistakes unless you are upper managements pet. The union does not care about the individual worker, only appeasing management. It is a very poorly ran company from the CEO, Vice Presidents and to Managers. I have never seen such incompetency in management before.
Pros
Pay, a great company to work for 30 years ago
Cons
Management, Ceo, benefits, Atmosphere, union
Good Job
Utility worker (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 19, 2018
Labor work 40hr a week

Learned < Natural Gas pipe line working on live blowing gas leaks about what kinds of gas pipe we use which is High grade Polly urethane pipe also how to fuse the pipes together or wild them
and also about Plastic cupeling for the polly pipe and what fitting were certified for the pipe

Management <grate management communicate very well with works also help when needed

Work culture < alway open for opinion grate people to work around great environment

Hardest part of job< Heat!!

Enjoyable part of the job< the people
Company culture has changed
Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2018
The Company used to be a very tightly knit family; that has all ended with the elimination through attrition of hundreds of high paying, good jobs that benefitted the community and their replacement with contractors who are not loyal to San Antonio ratepayers or the company. They satisfy their contracts, collect their pay and leave.
Pros
Stable employment with the best retirement plan in the San Antonio area.
Cons
Poor management and employee morale, below market level pay.
Great energy
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 22, 2018
Every professional work area. Everyone is friendly. Love the work pace. Location is amazing on the river walk. Pay is amazing, and the also have great benefits!
Pros
Breaks on the River Walk
Cons
Parking, and Traffic
People First Mentality
Environmental QA/QC Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78205August 8, 2018
Take care of their employees and serve the local community with passion. Always looking toward the future and how they can evolve with a growing and technologically advancing industry.
Interesting workplace with a challenge
PC Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 6, 2018
As an intern, it could be better but I get paid well and it is easy to be able to keep my job as long as I know what to do. Be hardworking and proactive and that should get you places in this company.
CPS Energy is a Changing Culture with a Drive for Customer Service
Manager - Engineering (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 6, 2018
A typical day at work means you come to your office or job site prepared to start immediately after a few pleasantries with your coworkers. Everyone has a job to do, and successful completion of assigned tasks meant the next phase could begin by another.

Management values progressive employee improvement in their job skills, leadership potential, and keeping an eye out for any potential process improvement that could be implemented. Unfortunately, many directives for employee improvement were not implemented because of budget cuts contradictory to the other goal.

The workplace culture mandated by C-Level management was good, but there were notable contradictions with instructions filtered down to lower level & field employees.
Pros
Flexible work schedules are available to most employees.
Cons
Health care costs are noticably increasing, but the employee options are fair.
management was very strict
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 7, 2018
CPS Energy is a very stressful place to work. Most people work there for the benefits. There is also a lot of overtime if you want to work it. I stayed there 24 years.
Pros
good salary - great benefits
Cons
very stressful dealing with angry customers all day
Great place to work and make friends
MAIN CREW FOREMAN/OUTSIDE SERVICE INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 18, 2018
I enjoyed my career at CPSENERGY I learned a lot of skills on the job training also had a lot of training classes to keep my skill level high, The management was great they always had time for the employees concerns. Made many long lasting friendships through out the company teamwork and Safety was our number 1 goal as a company
Pros
Recognized Safety accomplishments
Cons
Worked in very hot and humid weather
CPS Energy
MQ Middleware Developer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 3, 2018
Best company worked so far. Good management and supportive colleges. Good scope of learning if you are interested and nice work environment. its a great opportunity
Not good
Project manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 24, 2018
Leadership is inconsistent and unpredictable. The labor union forces poor business decisions that the taxpayers must absorb. That is all I have to say.
Zero authority
General Designer 2 (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 2, 2018
Pay is way below industry average. Management make all decisions. No one has any authority except management. Job is not hard. Just a lot of non technical work.
very good company
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 5, 2018
very good company good people great work envoirnment
loved working there. still wish I could stay. I will return.. best job i ever had in my life. probably the best one i will have
Politics over Productivity
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 8, 2018
Collaborative atmosphere except at management level. Politics often overshadow the purpose of certain efforts and support is often made only at the benefit of individuals instead of the greater good.
Pros
cafeteria
Good job, poor management
GENERAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 2, 2018
Management is one happy family that sides against you when you have any type of issue. Had I known this, I wouldn't have ever opened my mouth when I needed help or to request help from someone else.
Pros
Good work schedule in the office setting
Cons
Destined to fail unless very experienced in the role already.
love my job, need a challenge
Energy Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 29, 2018
Love the work environment, the people that you work with make work life a lot easier. some policies were a little annoying but loved how supervisors will fight for us.
You work for the pay you receive
Lead Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 18, 2018
Take calls from customers about electricity problems. Helping customers with payment online. Making payment arrangements, or getting online access. Customer service first.
Excellent company to work for; great benefits
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 15, 2018
A great place to work with excellent benefits. Typical days were stressful, learned to manage stress keeping it within work environment. Enjoyed tremendously staff and co-workers for work ethic and camaraderie. Plenty of caring people who strive to make a difference in/at workplace and community.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CPS Energy. Our community is ready to answer.