CVS Health Retail Employee Reviews

Great pharmacy experience
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Washingtonville, NYNovember 15, 2018
Working in the pharmacy helped prep for going into other branches of healthcare. Learning drug names, uses, interactions, and applying customer service helped to create relationships with patients of trust
Slow-paced and relaxed working environment, especially if you prefer working alone.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Manteca, CANovember 15, 2018
A typical day at work would be very slow, but sometimes get rushes. You work alone with one manager. Hardest part of the job would be knowing where everything is in the store and maybe dealing with angry customers. The most enjoyable part of the job would be that it is never super busy.
Uncaring Company
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  GANovember 14, 2018
All they are worried about are scores. They don't care about their employee's wellbeing or even their patients. A money driven company is all it is. I even felt like I had to go back to work as soon as I could after having my baby. I felt like they were mad I was out in the first place. I love my coworkers and my current supervisors. We are all too stressed out to continue working there. My supervisor is even looking for another job after working with cvs for 20 something years. And honestly, they need to pay their techs better. We deal with way to much stupid stuff from people, drs, and even corporate for what we get paid for.
Pros
health benefits for full time employees
Cons
stress beyond beleif
very busy and stressful
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYNovember 14, 2018
we are just numbers that come they look at every week to see how the location is doing .. no matter how hard you work if those numbers aren't good you aren't good enough for the company ..other then that very stressful to work in at least the location I'm at, can't wait to leave
Pros
learning about the medications and their uses
Cons
everything else
Nope
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 12, 2018
Don't work here. They screw you over and use you. They say they are "flexible" with scheduling but will be at your throat if you try to say you can't work such day and such time, and then schedule you it anyway. They cut hours super bad too. I dont remember the last time I had AT MOST 15-20 hrs a week. Oh plus they will make you work every single weekend.They give you little to no tasks to do and when you're done you have nothing to do but stand there and wait for a customer. This job puts a lot of physical and mental stress on you. You get short breaks and you're standing on your feet all day. I would really consider this an entry level job. You're not gonna go anywhere with life working here.
Pros
Cons
Cut hours, not flexible, stress, poor management
Cashier
CVS Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 7, 2018
The hardest part at the job , when customers get frustrated because we do not sale the items they looking for. However other than, I enjoyed every moment of it.
Pros
Paid on breaks
Cons
Short breaks
Fun, relaxed place to work
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXNovember 4, 2018
I enjoyed the work experience at CVS. The work hours were flexible. My managers and teammates were pleasant to work with and I learned a lot from them. It was not a stressful job as I received good coaching from workmates and managers, and the customers were usually friendly to interact with.
Work as crazy, get paid less then any other job. Managers are very rude, most of the time I work 5 hours a week.
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MANovember 4, 2018
Never want to work here again , no training provide. It’s a lots of things you have to tell the costumers and they didn’t like it. You constantly have to call for help cause isn’t enough people on schedule. By the end of my shift I was so tired, I couldn’t walk. The break area is so dirty, the microwave too old, the refrigerator disgusting. I spent lots of hours in front of the computer reading the rules and then I realized that nobody follows those rules. The manager never said good job or anything nice to me. The most hours I had so far was 6 hours in one week . Any pizzeria job is better than work at CVS.
Pros
Cons
They don’t care about workers, low pay, no hours.
Customer service driven
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2018
Putting the customer first making sure that we take care of our customers on their scripts and making sure they get a way to a Better Health. Also completing your daily tasks
Pros
Putting customer first
Cons
Follow CVS complaince at all time
Great Job
Shift Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CANovember 1, 2018
I have worked here for almost 2 years and am very happy. I do need a full time job in order to help me pay for my housing and bills & CVS doesn't offer full time.
Cvs
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 31, 2018
Company is fine to work for if you have a manager who is willing to work with you and advance your career. If you are stuck with a manager who does not trust his employees you will not be able to learn and grow they way you can and normally should.
Horrible management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHOctober 31, 2018
Management refuses to work with your school schedule, even though they’re suppose to since they’re in a union. Failure to work with my school schedule led me to get less hours. Started only scheduling me only 11 hrs a week, I mean nobody can live off that. Overall, CVS is a great company to work for but if the management is lacking at their job, it makes it worth working for.
Pros
Guaranteed lunch, high pay.
Cons
Lack of management, lack of effort and discount in the store sucks.
CVS is an awful corporation to work for
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COOctober 31, 2018
Corporate pharmacy in general is an awful place to work no matter what your role. CVS treats its employees like garbage & works their pharmacists like slaves with zero regard for their wellbeing or work life balance. Here's a tip if you really want to work in health care don't be a pharmacist.
Pros
Cons
Pay, hours, time off, management, work life balance
Don't be lured in by the money!
Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Kailua-Kona, HIOctober 30, 2018
Working for CVS was an absolute nightmare! I left a wonderful position with Walgreens in order to relocate back to my hometown. CVS was my only option. Corporate management could care less about the health and well-being of their pharmacists. No lunch breaks, bathroom breaks are rarely an option, and they are completely metrics driven. This company forgot about the true reason pharmacists were created.. To help patients on their way to better health. This is their slogan, but it's all marketing, BS, and this company makes it impossible to EVER fulfill this mission statement. As a former employee and Pharmacy Manager, if you are considering a career for this company, you'd be better off working for McDonald's. At least they would feed you.
Pros
Initial Salary
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNOctober 29, 2018
Cvs is purely money driven. Lots of work and little time. Lots of hours are being cut. Forced to work every other weekend. Full time techs are now working overtime. Pharmacist are now working with no lunches and over lap.
Do not recommend
Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisiana Point, LAOctober 29, 2018
Although it may be an easy job for entry level, once you advance you can look forward to ridicule, minimum staffing and hours and outlandish expectations for one person alone. This is certainly not a recommended career path if you expect to have an type of life outside of work
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Low pay, higher than normal expectations with minimum assistance
Pharmacy is Pharmacy, yo
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 23, 2018
The store I was at had the best staff. They always wanted you to be the best but will correct you when u make a mistake. A lot of the skills I've learned elsewhere, so I learned how CVS does things. The culture of the place was great, just being on 87th and stony is a bad location because the people that came into the store were the worst. The pay wasn't great giving all the stuff a pharmacy tech do. Between the low pay and the ignorant people that came in trying to treat the staff like we were failures in life was the reasons I left. (I also got tired of getting talked to about my low flu shot score. I personally don't believe in the flu shot but another time) If the pay was better and if I was at another location, I might not have left the company.
Pros
Great staff at my store, work didnt feel like work
Cons
pay was horrible, store location wasnt the best
No work/ life balance
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 22, 2018
They want you to be available all the time but don't want to have you be full time. They repeatedly schedule you for times you are not available. I needed to go to the hospital to visit someone who was 96 years old and very close to death. I was told I could not leave despite my never missing a shift ever. I come in when I am sick, which they highly encourage. Every store I know is severely understaffed.
Cons
Literally everything.
i would not recommend this work to anyone
CVS Cashier (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDOctober 21, 2018
i would not recommend this job to no one because of the hours and the lack of pay every two weeks. My manager was disrespectful and nasty for leaving to do work and lying on my saying i did nothing and did not receive pay like i shouldve. a bank teller said why is my pay so low and that concerned me.
Pros
Cons
poor management skills, lack of patience
Understaffed and overworked.
Pharmacy Technician Trainee (Current Employee) –  Newburgh, INOctober 20, 2018
Staff cuts to where evening shift never got required break or meal time. Technicians not allowed to eat in pharmacy but pharmacists are even though technicians are working the same shift hours and have no staff to allow for shift breaks. Insufficient time for appropriate training follow up. Once you attend training, the staff making the scheduling take the preferred stations, leaving newer staff to run cash registers but not allowing them to use new training skills to become proficient at what they need to do. They are then disrespected by the pharmacists for asking questions when they need information to help the patients. Age related discrimination. Younger employees that started after older employees were given preferences on station positions. Extremely high pharmacy staff turn over. Night pharmacists being blamed for things that day shift should be completing. Cutting staff for night shift technician which takes pharmacist away from duties that they alone can perform.
Pros
Some flexibility around school schedules . Company training.
Cons
Age discrimination, not giving meal breaks or shift breaks, disrespect of trainees by some pharmacists, shift supervisors taking preferential stations, trainees not being allowed to use learned skills, Inconsistency between training and what is being practiced in the stores.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CVS Health Retail. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4