CVS Health Employee Reviews

Found 25,637 reviews matching the search See all 25,824 reviews
Can be rewarding...if you're willing to put the hours in...and you don't have a family.
STORE DIRECTOR / DISTRICT MANAGER TRAINEE (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 17, 2018
CVS has been very good to me. They have very good benefits and you can make good money if you are an external hire. Work life balance...especially if you run a good store...is non existent. If you are worth anything as a manager...they will have you at other stores fixing other store managers' messes. It doesn't matter what area you work in...it will happen. The reality is they are planning on phasing out the store managers. They are moving more and more to the healthcare realm. They want all new hires willing to be crosstrained in the pharmacy, and the word is getting out that they are going to start having Pharmacists running stores.
Pros
Compensation, Room for advancement
Cons
Work life balance, Numbers over everything
Horrible
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXNovember 17, 2018
I can't stand it here anymore. It use to not be that bad but now... CVS doesn't care the slightest for their employees. They will do everything to keep you in a tube. They are horrid, awful people with nothing better to do then play the same 90 songs every gosh darn day... DO NOT WORK FOR ANY CVS I BEG YOU. less than 50 cent raises every year, coups that don't work 90% of the time and you can't figure out why, management throwing away things that HELP front desk people who have to work in the back, never enough people to get a days worth of work done, having to WASTE so much paper cause CVS loves that, CVS telling you to make the customers happy no matter what then giving you no way on how to possibly do that, changes up the coupon rules without telling you, and does early activation which MESSES EVERYTHING UP
Pros
Some people are really nice. starting pay (here) 11/hr
Cons
didn't have enough room to write them all
CVS Health - A good place to forgo your dreams
Sr Admin position (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 6, 2018
While I'm not informed on how it is to work for CVS outside of the IT environment, I can tell you that working there inside of IT is just about terrible.
You'll be a small specific cog in a poorly oiled machine. It's utterly amazing how behind the times on equipment and process this place is. Outdated equipment and software, poor eccentric process with many redundant and ridiculous steps that are poorly -if at all- documented. Training that doesn't exist, with zero investment in you and your career. You'll work hard , very hard at times... with no time to yourself. Other times, you'll have nothing to do for weeks. While busy, Management has no respect for your personal life outside of work. Weekends, evenings, night shift flips, federal holidays not observed, etc etc. Good luck, you'll need it.

CVS Health might be a good place to work for forever if you just want a secure job for many years to come. One without much joy or hope for advancement, praise for hard work, or
Pros
Solid Stable Job
Cons
Too many to list
not a career, just a job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MADecember 13, 2018
I was working with cvs for 4, 5 years working my way up from cashier to supervisor to assistant manager in training, hoping to eventually go to general manager. they delayed it as long as possible over 2 yrs, and while I was being told by GM and DM that im great at my job and customer service and with fellow co-workers, when time to promote came, they wanted to give me a raise of $1 from supervisor to assistant manager, when the starting salary of majority of Assistant manager was salary at 40,000. when I asked why im not getting the usual pay raise, I was told by both "THIS ISNT A CAREER, its just a job/paycheck. Highly unprofessional, as usual with retail and big companies, if you didn't get on your knees infront of them and kiss where the sun don't shine, then you weren't going anywhere
Pros
Cons
terrible pay, view all employees as replaceable
Store Manager works 50 to 60 hours per week due to continuing reduction of hourly staff.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 23, 2018
Long hours for salaried management due
to inadequate staffing. High turnover due to poor rates of pay throughout the hourly front store positions. Manager trainees assigned before necessary training is complete due to management turn-over.
I would not recommend CVS to anyone with a family or to anyone who is seeking to develop professional skills needed for a secure future in .management of any kind.
If you are already experienced prepare to be frustrated, if new don.t expect to develop necessary skills to manage people.
Benefits
Cons
Customer Service, Turnover, 'Burnout rate", front store staffing, store standards.
Not A Great Place To Work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MODecember 16, 2018
If you would like to be overworked and underpaid, work here. They do not care about their employees and they are severely understaffed and do not seem to care. They would rather put all the work off on the few employees they have making them not even want to show up. Because they are so understaffed, it is like pulling teeth to get them to approve your PTO time that you earned. Don't do it.They bring in new employees making more money than the tenure employees and expect them to be okay with that as well. When tenure employees ask for a raise, "they don't have the money for that." But somehow they can renovate their building.
Pros
cvs discount
Cons
poor manangement/inadequate training overworked/underpaid
Wasn’t for me
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NJNovember 29, 2018
I wasn’t here long enough to completely bash the place. Just job just wasn’t for me. U start as an order picker on 2nd or 3rd shift. Only all the old guys who have been here for 10+ years are on first. The warehouse is very old and dirty. You’ll spend your whole day picking product and putting them in totes and you’re on a timed rate system. You literally have no time to talk to anyone so the work is extremely boring. Getting moved is very hard cuz everything is senority based and there are people who have been here for 25 years won’t budge. However if yours here long enough you’ll get some serious cash. Youll get tons of raises and when they top out You’ll continue to get cost of living increases. Guys here for 25 years making close to $30/hr doing the same stuff as a new comer. Late night Warehouse work isn’t for everyone. You make the choice.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Old dirty warehouse, kinda depressing environment
Made a mistake accepting this job
consultant (Former Employee) –  Woonsocket, RINovember 13, 2018
I was hired to do a creative job that would have kept me on my chosen career path. One year in, they changed the duties of the job and derailed my career pushing me off into a rudimentary, dead end non-creative role where i push paper all day. Was stuck (lost) for five years at CVS while I a) figured out what my job title was and what I actually did b) taught myself new skills out of cvs so i could get OUT of CVS. And I RAN out the door first change i got. Horrible. Pay raises were next to null, we haven't seen COLA in so long it's pathetic, and half the computers are old and outdated and they just moved over to Chrome so...yeah...if u like working with outdated equipment at an outdated company with antiquated corporate ideas, this is your place. You will feel right at home.
Pros
discount card
Cons
everything else
Stressful with low morale
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaJanuary 16, 2019
Working for CVS is one of the worst decisions a person could make. The job is full of stress with mediocre management both on the upper and lower levels. Upper level management continues to take away hours from the store causing the work loads to be harder to complete. They expect you to be productive without having the adequate man power to perform the daily task. When it comes to lower management they expect a lot of their shift supervisors and cashiers with little help from them. Many times the managers are out at other stores “helping” or they just schedule themselves to rarely be there. I really have nothing positive to say about working for CVS besides the fact that they raised their minimum pay which defeats the purpose since they’ve cut hours so much. I’m a full time employee who receives half the hours I’m suppose to get. If you have a choice do not work here and if you do make sure it is part time.
Pros
If you want to be a Pharmacy technician they will pay for you to attend the classes.
Cons
Short breaks, low morale, bad management, no hours
Flexible with my school schedule and great benefits if you are full time
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 10, 2018
Working at CVS for three years now has had its ups and downs. I have learned a lot about drugs and how certain medications affects our bodies. I know how to handle customer situations like insurance and doctor offices. This job has given me the opportunity to go back to school in the medical field. However, there is poor team work in the pharmacy. There has been many days where I work the job of 2 people even though we have more than one person working. Management does not seem to care about my complaints to improve the pharmacy. It can be frustrating to want to be a great team player but no one is helping.
Pros
Flexibility, benefits
Cons
Bad work culture, no direction, no good team effort
Its okay
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 29, 2018
It's not the best place to work and always fear a call to HR. It's like being threatened to enter the principals office. Job security does not exist regardless of what you are told. That being said, it can be a fun environment and they do offer training classes, for which you are paid to attend. Benifits are okay, although you have to read the fine prints. The 5% 401k match is pretty good. I guess you have to decide if the stress of working here is worth the paycheck. More often than not it feels like you are being underpaid for the responsibilties you are expected to complete. And there is never enough time! Over the years CVS gas become more about the bottom line and have lost sight of their employee and store needs.
Pros
Seasonal setup
Cons
Pay, hour cuts
Worst company I ever worked for
Strategic Analytics Consultant (Former Employee) –  Woonsocket, RIDecember 30, 2018
The benefits are terrible. For a so-called health care company, their health benefits are very poor. The worst I ever had. Culture in CVS is bad. It is a culture of fear and not respect or collaboration. Management treats you badly and is very condescending. Work-life balance does not exist. Very stressful. Company may have a nice image on the outside, but once you are in, you will quickly see that they do not care for employees or customers at all. It's all about profit to them.
Pros
None.
Cons
Poor benefits, terrible management
Omnicare of CVS. Don't Do It
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MONovember 4, 2018
Warning now stay away unless you are desperate. Been here for a couple of years and watched about 100 people come and go the turn over rate is extremely high, and thats including management(which they cannot seem to keep). Training is less than none and MANAGEMENT just dont care about you at all. Im only still here to build up my resume. The drama in this place is outrageous!!! Your eyed down/stalked/followed like prey and can't even use the restroom without being asked where you went. Oh and I cant forget to mention they make up their own rules outside of CVS. If you desperately need a job then to each their own, but dont say I didnt warn you!!!!
Pros
Close to Home, Easy, Good Benefits.
Cons
Drauma/Stress Overload, High Turnover Rate, Minimal Pay.
Poor Management and Lack of Advancement
Inbound PSR (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJanuary 1, 2019
Overall, the job is pretty laid back. However, mangager is always in a bad mood and takes it out on others for no reason. He's never approachable and once every 2 weeks, when he tries to be friendly because he took his bipolar medication, you cant trust it so it's wise to keep your distance because the conversation could still go south at any moment. There's no advancement. They overwork you, ask you to more and more than the average person, then continue to promote leads that are already promoted. There's no appreciation nor compensation for all they want you to do, outside of just coming to work and doing what we're supposed to do.
Stressful, unhealthy work environment, no work life balance, overworked employees, frustrated employees, unrealistic goal expectations, unhappy staff
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVOctober 19, 2018
Coram CVS Health needs better working systems to keep up with the overwhelming health care demands, especially with all of the expectations of management. Employees just aren't able to be efficient in their jobs and the customer/patient suffers. Management should consider hiring more staff for extremely overworked employees simply because the work flow has doubled or tripled and not base hiring new employees only because of the branch size....makes no sense and patients do suffer...due to errors from overworked staff. Management is not great. Too much dictating and not enough ACTIVE LISTENING to the ideas of employees that actually do the job daily.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Salary
The company continues to grow via acquisitions but to pay for it they take hours out of stores and have decreased their field management by half.
Won’t say (Former Employee) –  Won’t sayDecember 27, 2018
A large company with Great 401K. They continue to decrease their field management to pay for large acquisitions and also take hours away from stores regardless of how well the stores are doing. Very stressful environments in the stores and no one really tries to do anything about it. They continue to put out this great press but they forget to say that in 2017 we laid off half of our field management team.
Pros
401K match, very diverse, LGBTQ friendly work environment
Cons
Stressful, no management help, loss of employee hours year after year
Constantly changing culture - not focused on being a competitor in the industry
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  NortheastDecember 17, 2018
After omnicare was acquired by CVS there were several rounds of pharmacy closings and layoffs. Less focus on individualized needs of customers and more on standardization leading to loss of business - which would then directly reflect on the account manager who had no control over corporate policies and rollouts. Increased micromanaging and higher quotas as the integration of CVS continues while ignoring needs of the customers and account management team's concerns
Pros
Compensation and autonomy
Cons
Very "corporate" and focused more on standardization than meeting customer needs
Stressful fast paced pharmacy retailer
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 16, 2018
Typical day: Two associates per shift (opening/closing shifts). Front store associates will have to help the pharmacy department during peak hours daily. Front store associates must be able to multitask daily routine tasks, execute weekly multiple planogram resets, and take care of customers with excellent service.
Workplace culture: Depends primarily on your pharmacy/front store teams’ morale. If the pharmacy is understaffed, then the whole Rx operation breaks down fast (drop off, production, and pick up). This leads to poor customer service, stressed out team members, and poor department metrics ratings.
Store Management: good teamwork and communication on staying on schedule with daily/weekly projects.
Overall, I learned how to master time management under skeleton labor budget constraints. Lastly, associates respect the skill set that is needed in running a successful retail pharmacy store.
Pros
Loyal customers, great starting pay for hourly associates, benefits, discount program
Cons
Strict labor budget for hourly associates, work/life balance, inconsistent corporate direction
I was a Revenue Qualifier for the Billing Department
Revenue Qualifier (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MODecember 9, 2018
I totally loved this job. I made sure the patient's meds were being billed correctly to Med A, Med D and other insurance. Patient Demographics was also part of what I checked. One of the hardest parts of the job was getting some of the nursing homes to send a census and end of month as well. We had 23 women and one male in our department and we got along great. Everyone there understood that the needs of the patient/resident was the bottom line. Management backed us up if we needed help.
I was always on time and never called in sick.
Pros
Weekends and Holidays off, great benefits, great hours and close to home
Cons
Point System.
Serious problem retaining talent.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 17, 2018
CVS can be a great company to work for, but their obsession with external promotion of unqualified candidates while ignoring talent in their own stores is incredibly demoralizing for everyone who has dedicated time and energy to making sure the company succeeds over years of employment.

Ineffective and slow to respond HR that doesn't care about the dignity of safety of their employees.

With that said, it is a pretty good company in terms of compensation and providing management with a variety of tasks that keep work interesting and challenging. Lack of training across the board, but lots of on the ground experience that prepares you for almost any retail environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CVS Health. Our community is ready to answer.

56.4K

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at CVS Health.

Powered by Comparably