Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

The people that work at Cabella's were friendly and helpful
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYJuly 15, 2018
I enjoyed the camaraderie of setting up the new store. Everyone including management pulled together to make this an easy and exiting chore. Working in the bargain cave was an interesting job. The products that came into this department sometimes required research on their web page. Between working in different departments and using the internet i learned a lot about the products.
so much fun, so little time
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHJuly 13, 2018
I loved working at Cabela's in West Chester Ohio. I had contact with every single employee and management on a daily basis. It felt like a family. Most employees are part time. I started out working 25-28 hours a week but eventually it dwindled to 12-15 hours a week. I had to search for a new job when I started being scheduled 6 days a week but for only about 16 hours the whole week. It was very difficult to leave. I would definitely work there again if it were guaranteed full time.
Pros
friendly atmosphere, supervisors provided free lunch often
Cons
not enough hours/pay to live on
Cabelas should be a great place to work, Sadly Not!!
Footwear Sales associate (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 12, 2018
I thought Cabelas would be a great place to work. But sadly it is not. It has turned from a store bent on customer service to Credit Cards. The most important thing you can do is get credit card referrals over customer service.
I was praised for customer service and written up for CC.
While I watched others leave their departments for hours chasing credit cards and never get talked to.
Bass pro purchase didn't help only made it worse.
Pros
Some employees
Cons
Management is Horrible
not a good place to work
SALESMAN (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAJuly 11, 2018
Decent discounts on Cabelas branded gear, mostly fun customers, Poor management, little real advancement, poor pay, terrible hours, no schedule flexibility.
Pros
decent discounts, funish customers.
Typical retail cashier job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INJuly 10, 2018
Usually busy on weekends but not so much on weekdays. hours change very frequently and not consistent. Good job for going back to college. they are good about working around your schedule as a college student. Management is somewhat inconsistent and always changing.
Pros
easy job
Cons
inconsistent hours, a lot of drama
fun workplace
Cashier/cook (Current Employee) –  Hamburg, PAJuly 9, 2018
people are amazing, flexible, scheduling could be a little more flexible, coworkers felt like family, management could have been a little more organized
Pros
employee discount in store
Cons
better benefits fo paart-time
all will depend on the time of year when it may be extremely busy or very slow. fun to work at.
Retail, Management (Current Employee) –  East Hartford, CTJuly 6, 2018
Like any business and or company there are rule and policies to uphold. Follow and you will have absolutely no issues what's so ever. It can be a very joyful place if you love the outdoors and love working with people. I love it there as management.
Pros
Good benefits if either as part time and or full time. Good discounts
Cons
Work schedule can be challenging at time, however Cabelas is a very large retail store.
Great Company
Director of Design and Planning (Former Employee) –  Sidney, NEJuly 5, 2018
Great company, remote corporate location made it difficult to attract best talent. Good old boy system of management.

Family that started the business was heavily involved in direction of company. People in high positions that were not qualified but were protected because of friendships.

Opportunity was there but difficult to get ahead unless you had been there for a long time and part of the system.
Pros
Hunting and company discounts
Cons
Remote
Nice discounts
Trainer (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaJuly 4, 2018
This place is nice to work with your life if you need a day off or to leave early they will work with you. They also give you a good discount. The only bad thing about working there is that you never know when you leave. You leave when your work is done. As a trainer I have got to learn alot about the conpany.
Pros
Discounts 45 % off cabelas
Cons
Health insurance
Gun Counter Sales
Cabela's Gun Sales (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 3, 2018
Gun sales, and background reviews and checking. Best part of the job is talking with like minded people. Hardest part of the job is working long hours.
Pros
Meeting and educating people
Cons
Pay is low.
Good starter job
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXJuly 1, 2018
I've never been this bored at any job in my life, cleaning goes by fast and you end up with a lot of down time. So be good at looking like you're busy and you'll be fine.
Fun at first, but management was a nightmare
Product Training Specialist Hired (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MI 48604June 29, 2018
Do yourself a favor and don't even consider it.
When our store opened we hired 125 new employees. Two years later to the date - all but 12 of the original hires had left.

Any benefit to working there (like discounts and pro plans) have all been taken away. It's a horrible place to work.
Pros
Overall
Investor Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  Sidney, NEJune 29, 2018
This company was Magnificat to work for, I was devastated when then sold to Bass Pro and we were all laid off. I have and will forever be grateful for my time at this company.
cashier
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 28, 2018
part time work, able to schedule around college classes. Staffing issues filling open positions created opportunities for the cashiers to be extra productive
Not sure how they are now that Bass Pro owns them.
NICS Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Dundee, MIJune 26, 2018
I worked prior to Bass Pro buying the company, but heard the rumor and had to tell customers that it was just a rumor. Little room for advancement but they did like to promote from within.
Enjoyed
Cabela's Distribution Center Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Prairie du Chien, WIJune 25, 2018
I learned a lot working at Cabela's over the years. I was given the opportunity to grow with my department and it made me a much stronger individual.
Was Good For A While
Gun Counter Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 23, 2018
Employee's used to enjoy a lot more discounts than they do now. Since Bass Pro bought Cabela's many products no longer qualify for an employee or military discount and many companies either ceased their retail worker incentive programs or Bass Pro terminated the programs. Pay was always fairly poor; however the employee pricing offset that a little.

Management either refuses or does not care about the gun counter; as during the busiest times of the year customers were sometimes forced to wait 1/2+ for any sort of assistance from an outfitter. No temp employees are hired and no extra outfitters are scheduled.
Pros
Got to learn about and hang around firearms
Cons
Poor pay, few/no perks
Fun workplace, but very stressful at times
DC Associate (Former Employee) –  Triadelphia, WVJune 21, 2018
There was always something to do. When it is during peak it may be very stressful, but everyone comes together to work. You are able to train in other departments and there are always positions to transfer to.
Pros
Physical
Cons
Short Breaks
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COJune 21, 2018
A typical day involves helping customers. I learned about products. Management had to have a lot of patience since most people came into Cabelas not knowing a lot. Workplace culture was fun. The hardest part was being moved from hunting because they wanted to keep the spaces open for my co workers but they were Men who did not hunt and I was a woman who did hunt and knew little about clothing other than I needed to wear it. The most enjoyable part is how Cabelas worked hard to create a family atmosphere.
Lost the magic.
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  League City, TXJune 21, 2018
- Upper management shows favorites. Schedule is unfair most of the time and communication is lacking.

- Do as I say not as I do attitudes.

- Not real solution oriented.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

61out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Cabela's Inc..