Cabela's Inc.

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Great company, complicated advancement.

It is a wonderful company to work for, but it became difficult to advance at the location I was at because any time there was a higher position open, there was usually a person from outside the store that would receive the position. I understood I probably wasn't the world's most qualified candidate for the positions but after being suggested to apply many times for different positions and nothing came of it, it became disappointing.

Pros

Good management, good coworkers, laid back, always something to be done.

Cons

Hectic at times, difficult advancement.

Not the best place

Since Cabela's was taken over by Bass Pro Shop, the product selection and quality has decreased so customers are not happy which leads to less traffic and higher stress for pushing credit card sign-ups.

Sucks big time

If you are not a favorite, you wont fit in at Cabelas. This store shows so much favoritism to certain outfitters and others feel worthless. Sometimes no matter how much work you put in, it's not ever recognized. Managers have relationships with outfitters below them. Its just like high school at this store. Too much drama and too "cliquey".

Pros

Discount

Cons

Management and the favortism

Stressful, misleading

Cabela's used to be an ideal place to work, however, recently there has been a move away from customer satisfaction to an emphasis on upselling the store credit card. With the new merger between Cabela's and another large company, all focus has been on upselling the card and not at all on customer satisfaction. Sales have dropped and hours are steadily decreasing.

Save yourself the headaches

If you are not in the management click, you will never advance nor even get an interview for a full time position. Outfitter are told we are one big family but, if you are seen talking with other outfitters in the store you are written up, yet you are to know the other areas of the store to help the customer.

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Fun at first, but management was a nightmare

Do yourself a favor and don't even consider it. When our store opened we hired 125 new employees. Two years later to the date - all but 12 of the original hires had left. Any benefit to working there (like discounts and pro plans) have all been taken away. It's a horrible place to work.

high turn overs

Sad to see how management treats there empolyees and nothing is done about it.It seems they scope someone out and then attacks not good for business,Just sad

Pros

Love my job

Cons

poor management

Great

Good company to work for. It is retail so you have long retail hours, and lots of fast paced situations, but if you are a good worker you will have job security.

fun place to work great for collage students

Cabelas is a great company to work for if your a collage student and dont plan on making it a lifetime career the benefits are decent and the discount is awesome.

Best College Job

My time at Cabela's will always be a memorable one due to the wonderful corporate culture and the people within the company. Great atmosphere for a part time job. You get treated very well.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Was a very fun job, great co workers. Management could be better

Cabelas was like a family, my co workers were my friends and most days the job was very enjoyable. Management could be better. They focus on selling the cabelas club card and less on customer service.

Pros

Provided lunch on occassion

Cons

Having to request time off 1 month in advance

A good place to work especially if you are a college student. They try to work around your schedule.

The time I spent there was a learning experience - having never worked in retail before. I have no complaints about the store, management or work environment. I personally did not like the hours that retail work encompasses.

fun

Good management overall fun people to work with. Not much flexibility with hours if you as going to school. Pay it good and the discounts are worth working there

inconsistant

This is a time where change is common. Jobs created other deleted. You must be aware of what is today may not be tomorrow. Management changes frequently. Equality is not common. Rep-remands are not equal.

Cons

confusion

Productive employees with bad managerial staff.

Everyone of the outfitters in Saginaw work hard and we all get along well and have extensive knowledge wjere we can help one another. However most of the managers don't realize the importance of us and don't acknowledge the work we do. Overall, it's a decent place to work but could be a lot better.

Pros

Some workplace events that provide fun entertaining atmosphere.

Cons

Bad managerial staff, no incentive.

Fun environment

More payroll to sales than most retailers. A lot of managers in each building makes more opportunity for advancement. Pay is in line with competition

Pros

Fun environment

Cons

company is still growing working out the kinks

Fun Workplace with great break room

Fun place to work. Management is going through some changes. Great co workers and they make the place a fun place to work.

Pros

Great compensation

Cons

Management changes

great oppurtunities

Co-workesr and management are pretty amazing. Just wish there was more room for advancement in a "man:"based company. This company offers great incentives and opportunities to do different events in your community. Also allows great travel experience if one is able.

Pros

great incentives

Cons

hours not steady

noo

I would never work there again, management doesn't care about you, they work you like a dog and pay sucks

Cons

pay, managment

Semi-productive employer

Each day is different. I have learned a lot of different aspects of the business that I will take with me onto the next adventure.

Pros

Decent discount

Cons

Poorly managed

Working Freight

Start work at 4am unload the truck full of freight scan all the product to receive it in to our system. Break down all the freight and then put it in carts and work it out to the floor. What ever that does not go out to the floor take back to the warehouse and back stock the freight. I love working early shifts so I can get out at a decent time. I love working with other people in the morning.

Pros

always busy, healthcare for part time

Cons

short shifts, not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Cabela's Inc..
Powered byComparably

Compare Cabela's Inc. with

Learn about Cabela's Inc. in Saginaw, MI

• Cabela's Inc.
  • Saginaw, MI
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?