Cabela's Inc.

3.0Pay & Benefits

Found 614 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,815 reviews
outfitterbasscarddiscounthuntingcreditoutdoorsretail

Good solid job

Work was good Hours was solid They had a hard time respecting my availability with school Good training Very informative Good skills The job was solid for the place I was at

Low pay

I worked here for many years only by the end making 11.20 an hour I got employee of the month a very hard worker and won't raise my pay if you work in any dept you are a cashier they will call a code 3(register help) every five minutes some days you don't get breaks or lunch you have to sell there credit card to every one even if they got one already the people you work with are nice though

Cabela's Inc. insights

Based on 1,011 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Great people terrible General Manager

The people who work at Cabela’s are really great. Almost all the managers are wonderful. General Manager is awful. He rarely promotes from within. Always thinks the grass is greener elsewhere. Rarely has the backs of his workers.Cabela’s pay is terrible . Discounts are great but if you can’t afford to use them what good are they. Outfitters and department managers are wonderful folks. Flexible job, low pay, Dead end job. This is for teens and retirees. Nobody else should bother. That being said I still love the brand.

Meh

Below average wage, long hours, understaffed. Great discounts, but constantly understaffed. Only ever closed on Christmas day, so you will work all holidays.

Fun environment. Awesome Discount!!!

A huge benefit for me was the employee discount. Benefits and salary are great as well. Team members and management was always supportive. Schedules were flexible, and I never had any issues if I had a sick kid or had to leave early/come in late for appointments

Pros

Employee discount, flexible shifts, flexible managers

Good college job

Good job for college students, decent discounts offered as an employee. Management could be difficult to work with at times. There was a high turnover rate.

Easy going, fun working environment

Cabelas is a good company to work for, although benefits are not offered. Management is helpful, caring and flexible. The environment is friendly and engaging.

Pros

Hour lunch

Cons

No benefits or 401k

Fun Atmosphere

I absolutely loved working at EGF. The people there made each shift enjoyable. Lots of incentives like gift cards, free food, and recognition. Hour lunches and paid 15 minute breaks. Most people are willing to help you with whatever you need.

People are good but managers will get on your last nerve

Starting at cabelas was fun. After a month I learned most of the ins and outs. Most of the people are friendly and willing to help if you have questions. Having been there for almost a year now I’ve learned that the mangers only want to make money and do not care about you individually. They want you to task even when there is nothing left to do. Many of the regular employees are good. The team leads are most Lu alright and pretty chill but the senior leads and managers act stuck up and are just annoying. The treat you like you have no idea what your doing. They tell you every little thing to do when you already know your job responsibilities. Until recently we were also severely underpaid. Even with the raise many people quit bc it still wasn’t enough to live on. Pay is a little better now which makes the managers a little more barable but still not great. There have been several days I almost walked out because of managers knitpicking. Overall it’s a good job with mostly good people but the managers suck

Great family atmosphere

If you want to push to better yourself, do not work for this company. If you push the status quo, they will find ways to get rid of you. The technology they use is outdated by more than a decade, and they have the worst parts of walmart (cluttered, overstocked in the wrong things, etc…) without any of the perks (superb benefits, leading edge technology, streamlined work environment, etc…)

Pros

Cons

Technology, willingness to change

Okay Place to Work

Expects a lot of overtime. Very extreme conditions. No temperature control. Very dirty and dusty. many of the jobs require you to hit a certain rate.

Great job

Great place to work. You get great employee benefits. Fast pasted job and stay busy all day but pretty relaxed at the same time. Super supportive and nice coworkers.

Terrible management

Management doesn't care, scheduling was all over the place and changed without warning or notice, they hire you part time but Schedule you full time so you don't get great benefit options.

Pros

Hour long lunch

Cons

Pretty much everything else

Great for a young man or retiree.

Fun place to work, with customers and coworkers who both are happy to be there and friendly. The money is okay for retail work, it's definitely a good job for someone to have while looking for something after college or while attending college, doesn't pay well enough to be a career. Discount is obscenely good too.

Pros

Discount. Great work environment.

Cons

Pay isn't great. Upwards mobility isn't a guarantee.

It was a perfect job for me

I worked there prior to Bass Pro buying Cabela’s, so my experience may be different. For me, I had a direct manager that I worked extremely well with. He trusted me to follow his direction and vision, so I was able to complete my tasks and do my job well, with little supervision. I had very good schedules, in part because I didn’t need supervision, paid vacation and a generous discount, that graduated with years of service. At the time, part time employees could partake in health insurance, which was a plus for a lot of people.

Terrible management and even worse pay.

This is hands down the worst place I have ever worked. Avoid applying here at any cost. The management here makes the management at my last job look excellent and they were terrible. The pay for the amount of work yourexpected to put out is no where near worth it. There is no chance of promotion or any incentives. Although if your ok with being the managers pet or snitching on other coworkers, this may be the perfect place for you and then you just might get your 5 cent raise after working there for 5 years.

Pros

Free entertainment from weird coworkers

Cons

Mentally draining, boring, verbal abuse

Fun Workplace

I worked as a firearm inspector. It was fun and paid more than most retail places but not enough hours. My co workers were really nice. The work wasnt overly hard.

Pros

Good people and interesting job

Cons

Not enough hours

They are cutting all the part timers down to almost nothing

It's not a difficult place to work. It's pretty consistent once you've learned what your job details. Cabela's is only hiring part time, which is fine, but don't be shocked if you only get 8 to 14 hours a week, or you might find you get that week off or you drive in only to be sent home 4 hours later. They are cutting all the part timers down to almost nothing to make up for the store loss of revenue, the feeling is it seems to be on going with no end in sight. The culture isn't really much to talk about, pretty bland, some food here and there but no one really wants to know who you are, your invisible for the most part. The hardest part of the job is knowing you won't have a real paycheck because they keep reducing hours more and more every week. the most enjoyable part of the job is once you know what to do, they leave you alone for the most part to do your job. If want the hours, it's widely known to work the gun line, everybody there gets all there hours including part timers, leaving the rest of the store a drift for hours. Really sad for everyone else. Part timers have been quieting.

Pros

The pay is okay.

Cons

Your paycheck is small.

Company pays more to new hires than their valued longtime employees

Use to be a fun outstanding place to work. They value their new hires more than their longtime employees. Cabelas is the lowest paying job. They do have meals for holidays most of the time. Then cupcakes monthly for birthdays. I actually bring home 11000 a year which is half of my income. The rest goes to taxes, insurance, longtime term, and short term benefits.

Pros

Holiday meals and regular employees

Cons

Low pay

They appreciate their employees

Great place to work! They do a lot of different things for the outfitters, from free food to gift cards or free gear they do it all. The only negative is that they do not have compatible pay compared to other retail jobs.

Pros

Free lunches, great culture

Cons

Pay

Poor place to work.

Unless you are in desperate need of a job do not waste your time! The Management views the general workforce as an expendable resource. They expect maximum input with minimal investment. The negatives are truly too abundant to elaborate upon.Every facet of this company needs improvement.

Pros

Cons

Pay, benefits, work/life balance, retirement, management. Etc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Cabela's Inc..
Powered byComparably

Compare Cabela's Inc. with

Cabela's Inc. reviews by popular job title

• Cabela's Inc.