Cabot Microelectronics Employee Reviews

Good for benefits, not great for pay
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJune 20, 2018
Cabot is a great company to work for for some of the intangibles. Great PTO, Parental leave, 401(k) match, and ESPP program. However, opportunities for advancement can be lacking, and the company struggles with clear plans for career advancement. Pay is ok, but low considering the industry.
Pros
Pto, Leave
Cons
Career advancement, pay
Getting Worse Each Day
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJune 6, 2018
Poor leadership with no direction. Tries to spew diversity but all but one executive is male. Good old boys club. Incompetent people get promoted based on tenure as opposed to actual skills. Constant re-orgs because leadership can't solve the many internal problems and finger point instead. No work/life balance for most professional roles and are expected to answer calls and email at night, on weekends, and while on PTO.
Pros
Good pay and 401(k) match
Cons
Long hours, no recognition, poor leadership
Company discriminates against non deverse employees.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILMarch 28, 2018
Company helped develop employees up until new leadership team took over. They strategically worked out non-diverse employees. Promotions and advancements were available until the company adopted their diversity and inclusion plan. This policy turned into a mass exit for many employees that did not qualify as diverse or protected class of employees. Age and years of service also factored into the corporate restructure plan.
Pros
Great benefits and compensation
A lot of work
Quality Control Technician II (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILFebruary 5, 2018
There can be many samples dropped off in the lab all at once. It can be stressful at time. I get consist emails and phone calls even though I am at home. There is little advancement within the company.
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJanuary 3, 2018
Very enjoyable place to work, enjoyable employees to work with. The fitness center on site was great, used it every day at the end of my work day. Can become a bit stressful at times.
Interested in Research and development
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILNovember 15, 2017
i am very happy to worked with Cabot microelectronics. when there were lots of pads for lamination and metrology it was typical day for us. I learned about how to work with senior engineers , learn about CNC machines, Metrology , Data collection, etc.. there were very good management. It was balanced culture.Lamination was the very hardest part of the job. most enjoyable part was put windows on pads. i would like to work again.
Very balanced work life, unstructured and sometimes slow
Pads R&D Intern (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORNovember 9, 2017
I was an intern at Cabot for 6 months. My manager was very good to work under, and helpful overall. I learned a lot working for this company, and I would like to work at a similar company in the future.

My biggest complaint is that the company's structure and direction can be disorganized. Different departments struggle to communicate with each other, leading to a disconnect between manufacturing and management.
good place to work
Operator Associate (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 4, 2017
They created a good working environment with great benefits. Great advancement opportunities and other departments to work in and its encouraged by management.
benefits
Cons
12 hour shifts
Good company, excellent products. Changing management has lead to confusion.
Regional Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Aurora ILMarch 24, 2017
Well positioned in the market with their product offerings. Changing culture within the company has lead to anxiety within the ranks. The focus for future growth is in the Asian market.
good
Chemical Engineering Intern-bulk (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILNovember 14, 2016
8 hours per day
profession background, Chemical mechanical polishing process, the challenge and future of this industry,
Pros
discounted food
Cons
healthcare
relaxed workplace
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILNovember 11, 2016
• Produced, packaged and prepared products for shipment
• Performed required quality testing and inspections, data entry and record keeping
• Maintained a safe and clean working environment and led plant safety initiatives
• Developed leadership skills through training and practice
Sr Report Developer (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILNovember 7, 2016
Co-workers are very good. Great Place to Work.The company culture is changing to be more aware of the work put in by their employees. The job is always changing providing new and interesting challenges.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Matrix organization could be challenging at times.
Interesting, involved, fun
Sr. CMP Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILSeptember 6, 2016
I really enjoyed my time at Cabot and would still be there if my parents didn't have health issues. I was in the R&D department improving next generation consumables. My input was valued and implemented. Teams worked well with each other as goals are met. There is a path for promotion within the company and management is open to new ideas. Benefits are good.
Pros
Family atmosphere. Work and home life is good
Cons
No cons other than location. It's cold in Illinois.
Smaller company with good benifits
Operations Associate and Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILApril 1, 2016
Cabot is a good place to work. It is a smaller company (approximately 1000 employees global) that has a big company feel to it. Many opportunities to advance if you are motivated and educated.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Located in Aurora
Look before you leap
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILSeptember 5, 2015
I think most employees in HR, finance, production etc. probably like working here. For them, it's pleasant enough, and the pay and benefits are good. Short of misconduct or blatant errors, no one gives them a very hard time about how they do their jobs.
However, R&D is a completely different story. The reason CMC so frequently advertises job openings for scientists is not due to growth or normal attrition. It is because most research scientists (above the technician level) last barely 2-3 years before being fired, or leaving voluntarily due to burnout from the workload and pervasive negativity. They are then replaced, and the cycle of churning R&D staff continues. I would recommend R&D jobs there only to scientists who would otherwise be unemployed.
Before you accept a job in Aurora, I also recommend studying recent huge changes in upper management, and if that suggests much of a future in the US.
Pros
Pay, benefits, location, reasonable flexibility, good safety record
Cons
Troubled R&D culture; company likely to exit the US soon
Good Enviroment
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILMay 15, 2015
A lot of room for growth if the company is still in the US in the next 5 years. Company is really big on safety and making sure you are trying to develop better laboratory technicians.
Simple work with plenty of room to share your ideas in a growing industry
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILApril 1, 2013
-Producing equipment for semiconductors
-Learned how to operate state of the art machinery and visualizations
-Work could be hectic when quality defect issues or mechanical problems occurred.
-I enjoyed the teamwork and flexible management. Also, provided many great opportunities for travel and special projects.
Pros
holiday luncheons/parties, pay, exciting changes
Cons
small size warehouse, cleaning environment equipment, communication
Great Job
Lead Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 22, 2012
I have enjoyed Cabot. My job has been rewarding yet challenging. Cabot is excellent at rewarding hard work and innovative thinking.
Enjoyed working here
Clean Room/SNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILFebruary 16, 2012
Enjoyed working here, was put in a better paying job two days after I started because they liked my work. Managers are very nice.
Pros
everyone was very friendly, the pay was decent.
Cons
i was layed off with alot of other co-workers.