Cactus Communications

Cactus Communications Employee Reviews

The clients are very appreciative of the work and it is satisfying to help further important scientific research. The work schedule is entirely up to me, so I can manage my family obligations and the job requirements. However, the time required to do the job well is not adequately compensated. The salary should be higher given the amount of quality work expected.
CACTUS has an amazing management system that contributes to continuous learning and improvement for translators and editors. The pay is well above the market and I feel most valued as a professional and individual.
I love translating for Cactus. The jobs are incredibly interesting, and challenging. I always learn something. The people on the Cactus side are always supportive, and have an infrastructure in place that is easy to use and instructive. As a freelancer in a far country, I am unable to meet the people who give me work and support me, but I hope someday to be able to meet them. They seem like just a part of my family!
I was recruited as a translator, then as a reviewer. The Process manager did not even know I got a new contract and did not give me any guidelines. The management is clueless, does not listen, and want me to nitpick the translators. When I stood up, they came at me with their little tricks. So yes they really want and implicitly ask me the reviewer to nitpick so they can cut the translator's pay.

One time I rated a translation work as excellent (compared to other nonsensical gibberish it was). The management asks me to make 'enough changes'. Then question my review by point out my review wasn't good enough (with a title that's not even in my submission). I also got a 'finalized', 'redone' version to compare so I know what is being expected of me. Guess what, its the same title minus one tiny word with a bunch of editing, no typos or grammatical errors that I was hired to check.

The management have terrible communication skills (condescending with awkward English)and they literally expect a reviewer to nitpick and go out of their way to re-translate and research about the paper with $15 per 1000 word. Both of these responsibilities are not included in their review job description. The ease with which they ask you to do so much so far out from the job description is truly amazing. I don't think anyone can do that. They literally end the conversation with: Do you think you can keep up with our standards of quality?.

They have no clue whatsoever. They will call you whenever they feel like without looking at your timezone, send mutiple emails. finishing with a childlike
 - more...
Pros
read science manuscirpts
Cons
Unnecessary hassle and stress for very little pay
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Opportunity to learn new technologies and learn the work culture for your future opportunities.
Best place to grow..

I would recommend it to people who love working with little fun.
WFH option was the only good thing but since that is now a global thing, Cactus doesn't stand out anymore.
Management are of condesending nature. The only good people around eventually move on which leaves us with the bad apples in the basket.

It's truly a factory and you're just a part of the assembly line. No respect for you nor your job. Their values don't stand anymore and have become fake. It's just about the money and you're a tool for them to get to it.
Cons
Good place for Freshers to start. Trainings are very well structured. Healthy office environment. Casual dresscode and really helpful people. Loved the transport facility, events and Cafeteria.
Pros
Decent Salary, 5-day working, nice office
Cons
Work is Stressful, high expectations, bit too many trainings and meetings at odd hours.
Absolutely awful company that treats its freelance editors in an extremely disrespectful and inhumane way. They treat their editors like factory workers. The salary is very poor, the system of scoring work is skewed and is likely corrupt and appears to be designed to avoid paying editors properly for their time and effort. The management is extremely rude, disrespectful, and unprofessional. Avoid.
Translations are reviewed by in-house reviewers, who are non-native English speakers with no expertise in the subject area incentivized to give out wildly disproportionate and unfair scores (so-called Quality Indexes, QIs) to cut translators´ pay. Every time a low QI is given, the translator is asked to send an E-mail in his / her defense (otherwise, work dries up) - so I ended up having to spend numerous unpaid hours responding to completely unfounded comments about my translation. Further, every time a client is unhappy with a project, an "external editor" is hired by Cactus to "assess" the validity of the client´s complaint. This "external editor" is hired to validate the client´s negative feedback and is on a mission to nitpick anything that could be used to scapegoat the translator. If there is nothing to nitpick, reasons will be fabricated to give the translator a bad rating. The translator is then required to defend his / her position, having to again expend a lot of time without being paid. The most frustrating thing about the entire process is that no matter how well one explains how utterly unfounded the in-house reviewers´/ external editors´ claims are, the translator will be the one receiving punitive measures, i.e. receiving work no one wants or no work at all. Towards the end, I was allocated translation projects that no one wanted for $8 that required circa 5 hours´ work. I can´t speak for other job positions, but if you are contemplating becoming a freelance translator at Cactus Communications, please stay away from this company, no matter how desperate you are - more...
You can completely rewrite a horrendous paper, reworking every sentence and in the end they'll give you a bad review for a single missing comma. They have no sense of good writing.
Pros
Work as little as you want
Cons
Pay is terrible, management is stupid
Es una empresa muy buena para quienes necesitan entradas extras en su tiempo libre.
Excellent place to work. Great work culture and management. Company is growing and upper management decisions have become quicker since I left in 2018.
There is no typical day at work, it's all online . . . gig by gig. I often get to edit subjects that are unusual for me, so I do learn a lot. There's no face to face management: I work on a web-page called my Whiteboard, and there are occasional messages from people I don't know. The hardest part of the job is figuring out what people want ( people can have wildly differing ideas about, for example, whether or not a "the" is necessary). Promised help, such as training packages for coping with new areas of work, fails to arrive. There's a lot of hoping things are okay.
Fine. Low pay. Good online platform for downloading and uploading work. Not much human contact. Different time zone. Love the flexibility. Generally fine.
Cactus communications have a very established system and it works perfectly but they expect you to find your way around yourself rather than explaining everything to you. It takes a while getting used to. The money is definitely not worth the work you put in that is the truth. The senior editors are very critical and each criticism decreases your salary for that month. You need to plan your day very carefully and do a lot of editing to achieve a certain salary.
Wonderful work environment and great work culture. Wonderful support and facilities provided to new joinees, Loved every single minute at the company.
- Work from home- Job Work/Life Balance
- Take as much or as little work as you want

- Pay arrives in time

- Steady flow of work, some bonuses and premiums

- Excellent assignment interface/dashboard for coordinating jobs

- Interesting editing assignments/articles/jobs. They get contracts from big players in the industry.

- Flexibility. Deadline extensions can be available when needed.

- You get a chance if you are not a native English speaker and you are as good as or better than a native speaker. Some companies do not even consider such individuals.

- Low pay rate for high quality requirement. Pay may be reasonable for professionals from locations with lower costs of living, else, it's almost not worth it. Since there are no benefits, the pay rates should be higher to accomodate this. You might actually make enough money if you are very fast with editing, but then, you might make errors then your quality index might be affected and again your earnings will drop.

- Biased review system, linked to remuneration.

- Work/Life Balance may be threatened cos you are sometimes concerned you may not make enough by the end of the month.

- No company culture watsoever. Freelancers are very isolated, even if you work beyond the minimum monthly workload required of a contract editor. No link to upper management at all. Tendering a complaint about a supervisor/biased review is useless because the email goes through the said supervisor.

- extremely late or no response to emails that have nothing to do with a current assignment/deadline.

- Asking for a raise is probably a waste
 - more...
Pros
Work from home. Flexible work schedule. Steady flow of work
Cons
Low pay rate for high quality requirement, Very biased review/emuneration system, no link to upper management at all.
Work life balance is the only point that needs to be sorted. The managers are understanding. Flexibility is the biggest advantage working at Cactus. Overall, an awesome place to work at.
Pros
Good management and growth, good benefits, and easy-going environment
Cons
Stressful at times
Terrible company, worse pay. I cannot think of any pros working for Cactus. People who review your work are not scientists, they are not native English speakers, and they are most definitely out to reduce your salary. What they do should be illegal.
It was very difficult to have esl workers criticizing the way in which I edited in my native language. Awkward wording and demanding supervisors created a very strained atmosphere. You could spend several hours on a journal only to be paid 10 dollars or so.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Supervisor scoring
Working as a freelance copyeditor, I was able to choose which assignments I wanted to take on and to work flexibly, as long as I met the deadline. The management staff were always available to answer queries, and I was promoted to the more senior assignments very quickly. However, even working extremely long hours it was difficult to make a reasonably salary as the rates were very low by UK norms.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Long hours to make any reasonable salary