Cafe Rio Mexican Grill

Cafe Rio Mexican Grill Employee Reviews

United States684 reviews

cafefoodfreerushmeallunchfastmanager

Fun and respectable

Cafe Rio has probably been one of my favorite jobs I’ve worked by far. The staff all respects each other and helps one another out whether it be because we’re in the middle of a rush or when we’re unfamiliar with doing a task. Its just a constant environment with different learning curves. I started on the line and after working for almost a year I’ve learned all of the front positions. They give flexible hours and all of the managers are all very understanding and respectful when it comes to scheduling around your personal life. Highly recommend this job for people that are starting to work. I’ve met some of my closest friends here while working here.

Pros

Discounted meals, close and kind co workers

Cons

Unpaid breaks, sometimes rude customers

Fast pace, fresh ingredients, great people

Working for Cafe Rio has being really rewarding for me, as I had the opportunity to manage three of their locations that where all different sales volumes. I enjoy the most is the culture.Cafe Rio all from the top CEO, COO and entire head of Cafe Rio family were always so connected, and showed that they really appreciate their Managers and the crew

Pros

Great culture, free meals, great incentives

Cons

Short breaks, short staffed

Cafe Rio Mexican Grill insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

It's okay.

Coworkers are very nice, funny, and they are pretty chill to work with. Management... There is a certain Manager I got taken advantage of, be careful.

Chill job chill hours

If it’s your first job yeah it’s okay…. the beginning was fun but it was very short staffed & there wasn’t experienced managers to help when needed but some good workers would step in & help if needed..

If this is your first job ever then you'll like it...

I'm currently the dishwasher at the Manhattan Beach location... and this job is like falling off a cliff... at first I really enjoyed it and felt like I finally found a place I would wanna improve and grow but now 9 months in I can honestly say that this is definitely temporary... the company is so short staffed they have everyone working 6 days and overworking everyone including me... service on Tuesdays are always a disaster but evey other day can be a wildcard..pay is not the best for the work we been going through we deserve a better pay that's why we're struggling finding new workers also people come and go.... definitely temporary

Pros

Free food, part time hours, co workers

Cons

Mangers, flexibility, overworking, inconsistent working days, call you on your days off

General fast food job

They will avoid raises, I worked Cafe Rio for a year and never got a raise but they paid new hires (that I trained) more to attract them with a competitive wage. Little schedule flexibility

Pros

Free food

Cons

Hard to get a raise or promotion

Es un lugar donde el trabajo tiene que ser rapido pero muy divertido

La gente que trabaja aqui son muy amigabkes hay muchas oportunidades para crecer dentro se la compañia

Pros

Buen ambiente laboral

managment

they have favorites just like every company. the only good thing was they would close early if it was slow but if you needed help they werent there.

good for starting out

This is a good company if you want to get started in management or if you want to gain experience in a smaller kitchen. theirs always room to grow here.

Pros

tips

Cons

no benefits as in insurances

Not fun to work there management sucked

The only perk was free food.the management had there favorite employees and some they couldn't care a less about .some could call in sick all the time then others call in sick twice and they are in trouble.

Pros

Free food

Cons

No health care

Not like other food service jobs

I thought that I would never do food service again, I was burnt out. I applied to Cafe Rio as a last resort, and I’m glad that I did. There’s rarely any rude customers, and the work environment is fun. My coworkers and I have become close knit, and I hope these friendships will be lifelong. We joke around and call management our work parents. It’s true, the Cafe Rio team is like a family.

Pros

Free lunch

Under-appreciated staff

No time off when sick, treated badly if you can’t pick up other’s shifts. The managers very much have their cliques and will treat you differently if you’re not apart of it. Not much room for growth

Great team at Colorado Blvd.

I worked at Cafe Rio on Colorado Blvd. for a little over a year and it was a great place to work. I can't speak for other locations, but the managers there really care about their team, will work with your schedule, and always try to make working there a fun and positive experience. Yes, it can get stressful when it's really busy, but everyone there is super easy to work with plus you get lots of delicious free food! I learned a lot about work ethic and being in a fast-paced work environment.

Pros

Free food, great team members, fast paced, good benefits, helpful management

Cons

heavy rush hour, wasteful business practices

Horrible place to work.

I was only there for 3 weeks for a reason. They encouraged us to not clean thoroughly and that's why everyone kept getting sick, management was terrible and I was back talked all the time.

Pros

Cons

Everything.

Somehow both understaffed with very few shifts a week

I had one of the most difficult jobs in the kitchen and can safely say the main reason for that is that it's a job that's clearly designed for two people.

LowPay

At cafe rio, you are required to do so much work for little pay. $13 is not enough in this economy. Management is alright, i had better a lot of do want you want.

Leadership is in NO way supportive. Money is their only goal

None at this time. To much to list. Leadership is none existent. They care about money not guests and employees. Speed Of Service is non existent too.

Bad management

Theirs a lot of favoritism. The managers rather gossip and tell other co workers about something they have a problem of you instead of pulling you to side to talk like real grown folks do. If you’re not perfect or haven’t worked there for more than a year they will find a reason to cut your hours . If they don’t want you to work there at all they will do petty things to make you quit instead of firing you.

Pros

Free food on shift.

Cons

Bad managers

Fun work fast paced, friendly employees

Are food is fresh daily,we make are own Guacamole, are food is prepared in front of the customer and everyone there gets along we luagh and make are customers feel comfortable.

Do not apply for tortillas

I worked at cafe rio as the tortilla maker for quite a bit and they make it impossible for you to leave that place without feeling bad, unprepared, and stressed. The team I worked with was amazing but management was terrible and never gave me days I requested off within a timely manner which led to me leaving. You carry the entire weight of the store on your back because the entire store is ran by tortillas and if the shift ahead of yours didn’t prepare for you, you are guaranteed a terrible day.

Pros

Free lunches, team is great

Cons

No accommodations can be made for you, management is terrible, extremely packed

Worst job ever!

The only positive part about working at Cafe Rio is the free meal during each shift. Other than that it’s just a fast food job with no room for growth or to make more money. Co-workers are constantly on their phones and managers are too busy to help you because they’re doing their own thing.. not somewhere I recommend anyone to work unless you’re 18 and fresh out of high school.

Common questions about Cafe Rio Mexican Grill

Answered by current and former employees at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.3
InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight