Cafe Rio Mexican Grill Employee Reviews

Enjoyable work in a fast paced environment, undermined by the poor management
Grillmaster (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAAugust 20, 2018
Cafe Rio offer an engaging set of tasks ranging from food preparation, to cleaning, to customer service, and more. I would have rather liked to continue working there were it not for the extremely poor management. The weight of the load from day to day tasks often ended up falling on the shoulders of the few diligent employees. This would also not have been a problem if said employees were compensated fairly, yet Cafe Rio insisted on the backwards policy of paying their newer team members more than the already established ones.
Its some what demanding the enviorment is great to work at everyone always helping wach other.
Cook (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 20, 2018
It is a great place to work at, you never short on hours employees are friendly there and helpful, always willing to work together. Management helpful
Pros
Health benefits for full time
Overworked
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 9, 2018
The only thing i liked about my job was the employees and the customers. The actual company does not care about its employers. We are paid way too little for the work we do everyday. We get no tips. We are forced to follow strict rules and not allowed to even talk to each other when the gm was around. It felt like a boot camp but the employees and customers made it worth while. if i was paid more then i would have felt like all my hard work was worth it
A fast-paced, high-stress environment... with co-workers and managers that kinda make it worthwhile
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDAugust 8, 2018
This job takes a lot. We're a fast food restaurant, so we gotta work quickly AND efficiently; smiles plastered on our faces all the while. It's stressful, tiresome, and frustrating. But we have some great managers and nice coworkers who keep the place running smoothly and the work environment almost fun (I say almost, 'cause it's a freaking job--jobs aren't fun).
If I'm ever struggling with a particular task, someone's always there and willing to help. Which is nice.
Pros
50% on-shift discount, free drinks, co-workers are cool, GM is amazing
Cons
Entitled customers, stressful
Doesn't give adequate feedback
Line Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDAugust 7, 2018
I worked at Cafe Rio for a few months, and for the most part my coworkers were very nice. But the work was hard and I almost never felt like I was adequately trained. I was let go suddenly and with no warning over issues I was never talked to about beforehand.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor feedback
quick paced
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 7, 2018
cafe Rio had its busy days and on those days everyone had to be quick. it's a quick paced job. everyone is very nice and they have a very fun environment.
terrible management
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTAugust 7, 2018
I would not recommend anyone over 16 years old, its a terrible job and you don't get breaks after a 12 hour shift. It is a terrible environment to work in.
Kitchen Crew (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZAugust 6, 2018
There was no typical day at Cafe Rio, which was a great part of the job. Throughout my employment there I learned where most of the food was imported from and how to prepare many of the dishes we served. The management team worked hand in hand with the crew to ensure consistent quality and experience for the guests. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the demand for the food; there weren't any specific rushes, since business was constant throughout the day.
Normal bland job
Dishwasher and Grill (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTAugust 6, 2018
High turnover rate, management has been fired and replaced. sometimes hard or easy, quick paced and some shifts are too short and make you work doubles one open and one close with three hours in-between just to waste your day.
Pros
Free meal if working 5+ hour shift
Cons
Hours and pay
At this time: don't work here
Rather Not Say (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, NVAugust 5, 2018
Until new management is brought in, I can't recommend working here. There's very little to be said that's good. The work life balance is atrocious, the understanding of humans needing time off is just not there, and the understanding that emergencies and family issues arise and require quick schedule changes is completely absent.

New management who show leadership and not just a care of only the numbers needs to be brought in.
Pros
The people I've worked with.
Cons
Just about everything.
Fast paced and quite fun atmosphere to work in
Floor/Line Server (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 29, 2018
Has a steady work flow with awesome team work and understanding managers. Not a hostile work environment at all. It is somewhat hard to get hours due to labor but all in all I find the atmosphere very enjoyable.
Pros
free lunches, quick managerial advancement
Cons
finding hours
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 28, 2018
Great place to work except I wasn’t given the raise I was promised. The management was great and the people were all friendly. It’s just not a long term job to look at.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Didn’t giv
I was one man who supervised the entire line
Lead/Line Cook/Dishwasher/Prep Cook/Runner (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJuly 27, 2018
I was overworked and under paid. The management loved me because I did not complain. I wanted to do the best job i could. Once management began to do illegal things, i resigned.
Pros
free food, fun co-workers
Cons
everything else
Enjoyable and fun place to work
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Tooele, UTJuly 26, 2018
Fun and enjoyable place to work, opportunities for growth and development, always cheerful and happy. Having fun with the team and customers. Awesome benefits.
Pros
Awesome benefits, free food for managers, awesome discounts
Fast paced, though very fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 24, 2018
Usually Cafe Rio is a slow paced job, though once it hits lunch time it gets really full.
I learned a lot of things in this job, fun experience as my first job
Management is okay, not bad.
Hardest part is keeping the lobby clean.
Enjoyable part was that we'd sing a song once they've purchased a special.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Terrible place to work
General Manager (GM) (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJuly 20, 2018
Not a pleasant place to work, long hours, not recommended for an experience manager, not a good leadership, very unprofessional people and bad leadership.
Fast and team coordinated. working with food
Cashier/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 16, 2018
My typical day was washing the previously used dishes and current dishes and take out the trash and it was very busy most days. I learned that one person can make a huge difference. The hardest part of the job was rush hour and trying to keep the dishes clean so they can be used again. The easiest part of the job was taking out the trash.
Pros
good working environment.
Cons
not very flexible on dishwasher positions.
Management Issues
Flex Spot (Current Employee) –  West Jordan, UTJuly 16, 2018
People in higher ups are all connected and to go anywhere in this job you need to know people. Current manager at my store was a friend of the Vice Leader of Operations in Utah.
Pros
Free meal. Discount on shifts worked.
Cons
Typically no breaks.
Fun environment, get to meet many new people.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 15, 2018
My review on cafe rio it is very fun and an open environment everyone has fun but gets the job done. Meeting new people everyday from all over the world and getting introduced to new Opportunities
Good company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 13, 2018
Opportunities to development. They need to improve the training system. The company is new and is a lot to learn. The culture is good. Is a fast food restaurant is a fast service environment.
Pros
Very good benefits.
Cons
the must improve the training system. To improve productivity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cafe Rio Mexican Grill. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight