Cafe Zupas Employee Reviews

Would not recommend
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNSeptember 16, 2018
The main problem at this location is that the Operating Partner (store manager) is disorganized with an attitude problem. If the store manager doesn’t like you she will make it apparent by putting you on stations that you were never trained on while expecting you to know what to do. At first I saw this happen to a coworker who made her mad and then when I put in my two weeks she started doing the same to me. Most people who work there don’t stay long due to the amount of physical labor and inadequate pay.
While working there and talking to other coworkers it was clear that the company makes promises they don’t deliver on or they leave you in the dark in regards to job advancement. After seeing this I started looking for new employment.
Also don’t expect your training to be efficient or within the time frame the store manager sets. Everything gets delayed especially if your night shift. Also don’t expect the main manager to come in if we are missing people or something crazy happens at night, she can’t be bothered to come in. One of my first few shifts we were short two people and she just left and let us all deal with the extra work.
When you give your availability in paper make sure to go online to hotschedules and redo it because the main manager can’t figure out how to use a computer. Expect to enter the dark ages as you have to get your check in paper as they offer no direct deposit.
Find out that great employees that come from across the country are being paid less than you because logic.
One of the worst jobs I’ve had. Luckily my other two managers were amazing
  more... and friendly, if either of them were running things I might have tried to stay with Zupas but I don’t tolerate being disrespected for less than a living wage  less
Pros
50% off Food while working, nice coworkers
Cons
Only one short 10 minute break per shift, understaffed, rude management, poor organization
No equality
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 3, 2018
The employees there are not treated equally. The management changed recently within the last few months and from there, things went downhill. The people I met there have been very nice to me and I built some good relationships.
Cons
Short breaks, management
Fast paced, intersting enviroment
Food Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2018
Working at Cafe Zupas requires quite a bit out of a minimum wage worker. Sometime during the job, an individual is tasked with learning seven or more positions while also memorizing multiple recipes needed. It can easily become a stressful situation but because of this a person grows and learns very strong communication skills.
Not for adults. By the time training is over, will be ready to quit.
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNAugust 23, 2018
Frustrating! Hear you are doing it wrong, more than a good job. The timed checklists are unrealistic. The management has it favorites. Very long and intense training that feels more frustrating, than fulfilling. Are not allowed to leave your station from 11-2, even if you are about to burst needing a bathroom. Always, always understaffed. Alot of pressure. Tons of memorization. But there are some friendly people, usually end up quitting or only traveling employees that will be lost. It is barely feasible for an adult to cover the cost of living and they often increase their starting pay without extending that to current employees. Possibly great for a person that can constantly smile through scoldings. But you also must never be sick or late, ever. They want robots.
Food is delicious and they do great at keeping it fresh and the restaurant clean. Their healthcode standards are impressive, but at the cost of an overworked staff without enough people.
Most days weren't terrible, but it gets old feeling lectured, or scolded like a child.
The breaks, if you got one, were so short you barely had enough time to eat your only discounted meal.
Pros
50% off during work only, mostly friendly staff, good food
Cons
Short breaks, no healthcare, no benefits, unrealistic time goals, favoritism.
Opportunity for advancement, but you probably won’t want to
Culinary Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTAugust 19, 2018
Overworked, over stressed, under payed, without a moment to breathe. Depending on your manager you may have a greater experience, but it’s a toss up. You can advance if you enjoy the environment, and there is a good amount of variety.
A great place to work.
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 5, 2018
Cafe Zupas helped me break out of my shell and learn how to interact with people. They provided great training and made sure i was comfortable to move on to the next step. When I wanted to move on to management they told me exactly what they expected of me, and checked regularly to make sure I was meeting expectations. I would definitely recommend working here. It is quite busy and can be a little stressful, but it is also fun and the people you meet are top-notch. I loved every minute of my employment.
everyone quit and for good reason
Line Server (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNAugust 4, 2018
The managers do not care about you. You rarely will get breaks and if you do they are half what they should be. They don't care about your schedule they will give you what they want your needs don't matter. Overall everyone quit my location and for good reason terrible work environment with bad management.
Pros
Half off
Cons
Short break if you get one. They overwork you. Terrible hours no choice for schedule.
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood Heights, UTJuly 30, 2018
Was grateful for the discounts. 50% off everything. Fast and easy work tasks. Friendly customers. I learned basically how to serve food for the very first time.
Pros
Discounts on the food
Cons
Stocking food
Fast paced enviroment
Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Richfield, MNJuly 23, 2018
Stressful. Fast paced, usually always super busy. Coworkers haven't gotten raises or promotions they were promised to stay.
Cant leave the line 11-2, doors are usually unlocked so people can walk In whenever.
FAVORITISM.
Pros
half off meals, paid lunch
Cons
Stressful, workers, short breaks.
Horrible
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJuly 23, 2018
If you want a raise don’t bother asking because they will hire people with a wage hire than you. Poor management and you will be so stressed you will cry. I would change my availability and would still be scheduled on the days I said I could not work. Half the new people were not trained so I would be left on my own to do the whole line even though I asked for help from others.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Stressful and disgusting
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIJuly 17, 2018
The managers expect more than is possible for a part time poorly paid employee to achieve. The food is bland, though I did find a tasty fly in the soup a few times to give it some flavor! On top of that, they fired me for joining the military.
Pros
Well, its a job
Cons
Bad management
Fun, fast paced
Catering Coordinator/Driver (Current Employee) –  Bloomingdale, ILJuly 1, 2018
Everyone there is very friendly. It's pretty fast paced which helped make the day go by fast and made a 9 hr shift feel like 5 hrs. If you are not a manager, you don't technically have a set schedule (unless you asked for one) but for the most part it was pretty consistent in hours/days. Good pay.
Great Opportunity for Growth and Development
Operating Partner(General Manager) (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 25, 2018
- a typical day of work is surrounded by checklists and structure to ensure the daily "whirlwinds" are kept at bay. My day starts with checklists and supervising the food preparedness. I check temperatures, fill lines, and the freshness of the product before it goes out. As a team we prepare food for catering orders and then we get the line ready for in store customers. From 11-2 no one leaves the line to give our customers the best service from our team. The afternoon is filled with prepping food, food and temp logs, hiring and recruiting staff, training, writing the schedule, cleaning and developing my team.
stressful and not well paying
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTJune 24, 2018
Incredibly fast-passed and sometimes stressful environment. Worked there when they were undergoing new management and changes to their policies so their training and management was poor. High turn-over rate but opportunities for advancement. Wished I'd been paid more for such a high stress-level job.
Pros
fresh food, upbeat place, no fryer or grill
Cons
short breaks, no free lunches, low pay
Productive and excellent food
Lobby Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, ILJune 24, 2018
The main thing I learned when I worked for Cafe Zupas is that not everyone is going to be happy with the way you work. You may work too slow or too fast.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, easy directions
Cons
Almost no breaks, no healthcare, no employee discounts, stress filled
Quick paced, fun, enjoyable
LINE SERVER (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTJune 21, 2018
I love cafe zupas. I didn’t know that when a raise was wanted you had to ask for it, I thought they would notice and bring it up so I spent my two years without ever receiving a raise, but I honestly don’t care because of how much I enjoyed it. I wouldn’t recommend it as a career but as a short time job it’s perfect and they are awesome at rehiring if you need to leave for a time.
Pros
Awesome people, 1/2 off food, learn customer service skills
Cons
Not a lot of money, no break unless you have a long shift
Fun and collaborative, team spirit
Line Server (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 15, 2018
Iffy decisions by management when faced with problems, likely could be taken to court over the fact. Hours, staff, and all else are great. Making friends with coworkers and management itself was easy, much training and memorization involved but a worthwhile job.
Pros
discounts, free drinks
Really fun workplace.
Line Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTJune 12, 2018
I honestly loved woriking at cafe zupas. I miss it too. My co-workers were awesome, same with my managers. It was a fast paced job but it is a great job for people who love new challenges.
Pros
discounted lunches.
Cons
Short breaks
This Was a High School Job
LINE SERVER (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTJune 11, 2018
Worked here for about 9 months while finishing up high school. Worked the evening shifts and was paid minimum wage. Was told that I would get a raise after completing training, but that never happened. Did a 180 and said evening line servers only got minimum wage. Didn't work many hours. Fast-paced and stressful, but fun. Great coworkers.
Pros
Discounted lunch
Cons
Evening line servers only get minimum wage, little opportunity to advance
my review
General Manager / Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 11, 2018
Very fast pace environment , i learned alot about being open minded and learning how to produce controlled ciaos , upper management and cooperate are very involved with your development , the reason i left cafe zupas was the base pay the over there employees , it wasn't competitive enough to complete with other high end places like , canes, chick fila , in'n'out, keeping good employees at 8.50 is ideal, also the hours. Besides those things it was an awesome place to work , you meet some of your best friends working here because zupas only hires the best of the best

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cafe Zupas. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight