Cafe Zupas Employee Reviews

Cult like attitude, but fast paced
Line cook, catering driver (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDNovember 10, 2018
10 min break unless you work over 10 hours, while managers get 45 min breaks even if they only work 5 hours. Very religious and strict uniform policy. Almost a cult like experience, felt very unwelcome and put down by the manager. Talked down to, and was made to perform duties no one else would do because she didn’t like the way I fit in. If you cater you either take the company vehicle or your own, you don’t get mileage reimbursement and you have to fill up the company truck from your own pocket.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
No benefits, no mileage reimbursement, poor management
Productive and fun workplace
Line server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89117October 30, 2018
A typical day of work is being really social to all the costumers and coworkers. What i have learned is good communication skills and being friendly to customers.
Very unfair work environment.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 17, 2018
They favor people that they know more than the people that do their jobs perfectly. They constantly tell you to be better and do better even when you are doing the best that you can. I constantly was told to make my attitude better even when I would walk in and keep a constant smile on my face asking everyone how they are and keeping conversations going. I was very upbeat but nothing is good enough for them. Their standards are set so high that no one feels happy and everyone dislikes their jobs. They push a family environment, but I was terminated for missing work due to my 5 month old son being in the hospital for 4 days. I expect more from a morman base company.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Disrespectful management, low pay, no benefits
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDOctober 14, 2018
This job was very fast paced and had great learning opportunities. The management was helpful but the benefits were limited. Clean and kind environment with positive energy.
Benefits
I would not recommend working here
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTOctober 4, 2018
I worked here for over a year, management was awful. they did not pay enough, a lot of drama, was not well organized. I would not work here again. good for someone in high school but otherwise not a good job.
not good
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZOctober 1, 2018
No one cared about me. Manager was never around. I was never trained on food preparation and expected me to know it. They left me alone on expo, packing, AND cashier on a rush hour. Shift leads on expo would disappear, leaving me to do both jobs.

My shifts would be from 5-9:30 pm but would keep me around until 10:40 pm after I finished my checklists on a school night.
Pros
Clean, good food
Cons
everything else
Good first job
Line Server (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AzSeptember 27, 2018
Cafe Zupas is a good first job, and the workers at every store are amazing and a second family. That's honestly where the good points end. For a nine hour shift, you'll receive one fifteen minute break to eat lunch. While you get half off your meal, you have to eat it all by the time your break ends because by company policy, you must throw away any food you dont eat. Any food taken out of the store is considered stolen and can get you fired, even with a receipt proving you paid for it. I've worked here for a year and a half and even though the minimum wage has gone up, my pay has stayed the same. Dont count on training. I was trained on three of the ten positions on the front line. Everything else was learned by watching and doing. This isnt just me, every single employee I work with has been trained on less than half of the stations we are required to work. Running around making orders and completing cleaning tasks on time has more than once stressed me to the point that my vision has begun to give out. Theres no benefits for any employees who are not managment. I'm a full time employee and the only benefit I get is paid sick time. This company rewards you for calling out and ruining it for the rest of the employees for the day.
I loved working here for a long time, the people are truly amazing and I've made a ton of friends with both workers and customers. I loved the challenges and feeling like a part of a team. I mean it when I say it's a good first job, especially for students in high school and college. But it begins to wear on you. I hit that point a long time ago but
  more... I've stayed because I'm good at it.  less
Pros
Half off meals
Cons
Short/no breaks, no benefits, stressful environment, often bad management, lack of training, lack of raises, company regulations constantly change
Cafe Zupas
Line Server/ Catering Driver (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDSeptember 23, 2018
I worked at Cafe Zupas for almost two years, I did not get treated with respect or like a valued employee. You do not get benefits unless you are a manager. The management is shady and can never seem to agree on something. There are also so many rules and regulations that are constantly being changed so it feels as if you never do anything right. 10/10 do not recommend working here.
Pros
literally nothing
Cons
literally everything
Would not recommend
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNSeptember 16, 2018
The main problem at this location is that the Operating Partner (store manager) is disorganized with an attitude problem. If the store manager doesn’t like you she will make it apparent by putting you on stations that you were never trained on while expecting you to know what to do. At first I saw this happen to a coworker who made her mad and then when I put in my two weeks she started doing the same to me. Most people who work there don’t stay long due to the amount of physical labor and inadequate pay.
While working there and talking to other coworkers it was clear that the company makes promises they don’t deliver on or they leave you in the dark in regards to job advancement. After seeing this I started looking for new employment.
Also don’t expect your training to be efficient or within the time frame the store manager sets. Everything gets delayed especially if your night shift. Also don’t expect the main manager to come in if we are missing people or something crazy happens at night, she can’t be bothered to come in. One of my first few shifts we were short two people and she just left and let us all deal with the extra work.
When you give your availability in paper make sure to go online to hotschedules and redo it because the main manager can’t figure out how to use a computer. Expect to enter the dark ages as you have to get your check in paper as they offer no direct deposit.
Find out that great employees that come from across the country are being paid less than you because logic.
One of the worst jobs I’ve had. Luckily my other two managers were amazing
  more... and friendly, if either of them were running things I might have tried to stay with Zupas but I don’t tolerate being disrespected for less than a living wage  less
Pros
50% off Food while working, nice coworkers
Cons
Only one short 10 minute break per shift, understaffed, rude management, poor organization
Fun usually
CULINARY SHIFT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVSeptember 14, 2018
Working here was fun, but the pay advancement is not set in stone so people with the same experience levels can end up getting paid completely differently.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
Only 50% off meals
No equality
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 3, 2018
The employees there are not treated equally. The management changed recently within the last few months and from there, things went downhill. The people I met there have been very nice to me and I built some good relationships.
Cons
Short breaks, management
Fast paced, intersting enviroment
Food Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2018
Working at Cafe Zupas requires quite a bit out of a minimum wage worker. Sometime during the job, an individual is tasked with learning seven or more positions while also memorizing multiple recipes needed. It can easily become a stressful situation but because of this a person grows and learns very strong communication skills.
Not for adults. By the time training is over, will be ready to quit.
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNAugust 23, 2018
Frustrating! Hear you are doing it wrong, more than a good job. The timed checklists are unrealistic. The management has it favorites. Very long and intense training that feels more frustrating, than fulfilling. Are not allowed to leave your station from 11-2, even if you are about to burst needing a bathroom. Always, always understaffed. Alot of pressure. Tons of memorization. But there are some friendly people, usually end up quitting or only traveling employees that will be lost. It is barely feasible for an adult to cover the cost of living and they often increase their starting pay without extending that to current employees. Possibly great for a person that can constantly smile through scoldings. But you also must never be sick or late, ever. They want robots.
Food is delicious and they do great at keeping it fresh and the restaurant clean. Their healthcode standards are impressive, but at the cost of an overworked staff without enough people.
Most days weren't terrible, but it gets old feeling lectured, or scolded like a child.
The breaks, if you got one, were so short you barely had enough time to eat your only discounted meal.
Pros
50% off during work only, mostly friendly staff, good food
Cons
Short breaks, no healthcare, no benefits, unrealistic time goals, favoritism.
Opportunity for advancement, but you probably won’t want to
Culinary Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTAugust 19, 2018
Overworked, over stressed, under payed, without a moment to breathe. Depending on your manager you may have a greater experience, but it’s a toss up. You can advance if you enjoy the environment, and there is a good amount of variety.
A great place to work.
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 5, 2018
Cafe Zupas helped me break out of my shell and learn how to interact with people. They provided great training and made sure i was comfortable to move on to the next step. When I wanted to move on to management they told me exactly what they expected of me, and checked regularly to make sure I was meeting expectations. I would definitely recommend working here. It is quite busy and can be a little stressful, but it is also fun and the people you meet are top-notch. I loved every minute of my employment.
everyone quit and for good reason
Line Server (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNAugust 4, 2018
The managers do not care about you. You rarely will get breaks and if you do they are half what they should be. They don't care about your schedule they will give you what they want your needs don't matter. Overall everyone quit my location and for good reason terrible work environment with bad management.
Pros
Half off
Cons
Short break if you get one. They overwork you. Terrible hours no choice for schedule.
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood Heights, UTJuly 30, 2018
Was grateful for the discounts. 50% off everything. Fast and easy work tasks. Friendly customers. I learned basically how to serve food for the very first time.
Pros
Discounts on the food
Cons
Stocking food
Fast paced enviroment
Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Richfield, MNJuly 23, 2018
Stressful. Fast paced, usually always super busy. Coworkers haven't gotten raises or promotions they were promised to stay.
Cant leave the line 11-2, doors are usually unlocked so people can walk In whenever.
FAVORITISM.
Pros
half off meals, paid lunch
Cons
Stressful, workers, short breaks.
Horrible
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJuly 23, 2018
If you want a raise don’t bother asking because they will hire people with a wage hire than you. Poor management and you will be so stressed you will cry. I would change my availability and would still be scheduled on the days I said I could not work. Half the new people were not trained so I would be left on my own to do the whole line even though I asked for help from others.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Stressful and disgusting
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIJuly 17, 2018
The managers expect more than is possible for a part time poorly paid employee to achieve. The food is bland, though I did find a tasty fly in the soup a few times to give it some flavor! On top of that, they fired me for joining the military.
Pros
Well, its a job
Cons
Bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cafe Zupas. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight