Cafe Zupas Employee Reviews

A lot of work NO pay
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 18, 2019
This was a great first job, but there was a lot of unnecessary tasks to do in a shift. There was so much to do in a shift and the pay was not great because of no tips.
Pros
discount
Cons
short breaks
Employment
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 13, 2019
The amount of work asked of the prep team is astronomically high for the pay that the employees receive. If the pay was a bit more competitive, then the job would be a bit more manageable.
Was a great company, slowly turned into quantity over quality
manager (Former Employee) –  UtahFebruary 8, 2019
I worked here for a while, i loved everyday of it at first. It does really well when you do exactly as you're told. They have flexible hours if you don't plan on moving up. Otherwise they demand you work the set schedule or ask you to demote ( even if its for say 100 days) You get benefits if you're a manager and the benefits were great.

I had bad experiences while moving up, and after literally years working for this company they finally just didn't follow through with everything they'd been stringing me along with.They will guilt trip you, ask above and beyond of what is expected of most people. And then if it suits them throw you out because you don't agree with everything the new gm says and you actually know what you're talking about cause you'd been there much longer.

It's a great job for high school or college. Just don't bother to move up past shift lead.
Pros
Half off, good benefits( only for management)
Cons
Terrible management, don't care about employees, wierd hours
Poorly ran
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UT 84120January 29, 2019
Everyone seemed to be forced to be happy and scheduling for hours a very sad excuse of a system that favored Manager's favorites. Which were not decided upon by work
Pros
One very specific discount.
Cons
Working at Cafe Zupas
A Good Job for a Student
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 28, 2019
I feel like this is a great job for a student. The coworkers are what make it a fun working environment. It is definitely very strict and you will need to follow the rules because the management is very observing.
I don’t know why there is so many good reviews, this job flat out sucks, the good ones must be fake honestly
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Riverton, UTJanuary 27, 2019
I’ll try and keep this short, having a lot of negatives to say about this place. It’s unfair, stressful, disorganized, and all around a messy place to work. Constant work place drama, between managers and employees. Nothing is based off of work ethic, and they try and swindle you out of getting well deserved raises they “promised” you. Managers throw empty promises everywhere. Training is excruciatingly slow, you never become fully trained, and no one around you is either causing the work pace to constantly be less effiecent than could be. Managers are childish and talk trash on costumers and workers, constantly. They will not let you take any more than three sick days, even if your stuck at home throwing up, or you get fired. The managers should not be forcing sick workers to work, especially at a food establishment.

The only reason I would ever recommend this place for anyone to work at, is if they wanted another reason to hate waking up in the morning. And, I know not one person who works here that would say any different, other than maybe the bad managers.
Pros
Food discounts (only while working)
Cons
Lack of raises, underpaying salaries, biased work environment, drama, bad management, working sick
Really productive and always busy
PM Kitchen Steward (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 13, 2019
It was a great experience to work there, I had a good time on being on task and always working. The nights were long but by getting things done the quickest, made everything enjoyable.
Pros
Fair pay, discount food
Cons
5 minute breaks or no breaks at all
good job
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 8, 2019
overall it was a good job and i enjoyed working there. i feel as though they under paid the hourly employees. I really liked how close corporate was with stores. made company feel like a family.
Good Delivery Driver Job
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  408 w 2230 n, provo utahJanuary 7, 2019
Being a catering/delivery driver was the best job to have at zupas. My coordinator was awesome and always upbeat and made the job a lot more fun. Not too hard of a job and pay is good.
Fun place to work
Shiftlead (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTJanuary 5, 2019
Its a great place to start your first job. It is a great work culture where you really learn a lot at.There are many opportunities to advance, and you are able to control your work schedule really well.
Employees kept the job ok, no help from management
LINE SERVER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 1, 2019
Within my one year of being with the company I went through four different main managers and typically felt lost. When new employees would enter the line, they did not get the same chances that the other employees got, causing them to leave fairly quickly.
Pros
50% off meals an hour before and after your shift and during shift.
Cons
No benefits
Somewhere to work to hate your life
Lobby, line server, soup chef, dish, salad prep. (Current Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIDecember 26, 2018
First of all, this is a long and fairly detailed review. But we’ll worth the warning, I wish I would have had more of a warning.

The managers are rude and uncaring about you being previously engaged to take off for certain days, availability, transportation timing to and from work, your job requirements and training, and wether or not you’re sick at work (even though working while sick is a huge health code violation and consumer risk especially at a restaurant). Don’t even think about telling them days you are unavailable or have to take off for, it will be ignored and you will be asked to come in everytime. And if you refuse they will threaten to 1.) cut your hours 2.) make you do a job that isn’t part of your daily checklist 3.) make you stay excessively late constantly despite commute times not matching 4.) firing you. The managers not only treat employees poorly dude to lack of experience (they’re fairly young) they also, more times than not, will ignore costumer requests and complaints, which brings heat to the entire shift staff and looks bad for the company itself. They will also demand that you stay late or come into work on a day off despite being overstaffed for the day. Ideally on a busy day the line (food serving/preparation and ordering station) will have 7-9 employees stationed to accommodate all positions. However, there are days where there will be 9-12 on line alone. Not only is it cramped and unproductive trying to get around everyone at the same time (not to mention when the dish cart comes to take dishes, complete nightmare to fit everyone) but despite
  more... being overstaffed you will still be asked to stay past your shift, regarding the fact that you’re transportation could be scheduled around your full time (8am-3pm or 4pm) hours, resulting in the employee to miss their bus, car, Uber, etc. The managers simply do not care. Also do NOT expect a pay raise. While working here I, and several other employees, were promised a $.75 raise, and not only was it never approved even after several weeks, if it is brought up to a manager that it hasn’t been approved or even looked at yet after being promised, they will either get upset that you “keep bringing it up” or they will lie right to your face and say they will approve it that night or that it’s already been approved.
If you think that being severely sick is cause for staying home (after never calling in at all) at a food service, think again. Your job will likely be threatened for calling in sick. In order to stay home sick, even with a valid doctors note/appointment, you must find someone to cover your already overstaffed shift, despite 60% of the staff being in high school during the AM shift making it impossible to find a cover, your hours will likely still be cut, and you still have a possibility for being fired for “shirking your duties and being lazy, not wanting to work”. Overall, there is still A LOT more that I could review, but just know, if you have a wedding, baby shower, injury, sickness, school responsibility, prior engagement, or even if you need maternity leave, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO WORK, THE MANAGERS DO NOT CARE AND YOU WILL BE FORCED TO WORK UNDER PRESSURE OF LOSING YOUR JOB.

P.S. I am a fairly experienced employee, I’ve worked various food services, retail stores, and even warehouses since I was 14, and never have I had such a bad experience with managers/job before.
Pros
Pay is $10+, Fellow employees aren’t bad, costumers are also usually enjoyable to interact with as long as they’re respected.
Cons
Literally everything else
An amazing restaurant company with tons of opportunities for growth and development
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 19, 2018
Cafe Zupas offers an amazing opportunity to run a restaurant with a set schedule which helps provide that wonderful work-life balance. We have weekly meetings with our district mentor and the rest of our district where we really get to bounce ideas off of each other and learn things that can help us as a whole. There is a ton of communication that really helps us get all the tools to do everything we can to increase sales and lower costs. The compensation is wonderful ,the bonus systems are fair and lucrative when you perform well, and if you are a top performer all year you get a trip of a lifetime with all the other top performers. We went to Greece last year and it was an outstanding experience. They are opening 8 to 10 restaurants a year so it's a great company to work your way up in. I have worked here three years and I love it. We are closed Sundays.
Pros
High performance equals High compensation
Alight
Dishwasher busser and some food prep (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTDecember 19, 2018
It was alright but I just felt like I wasn’t getting paid enough for the jobs I was doing. And I didn’t enjoy the work I was doing at all. I didn’t feel like the pay was fair and you can get raises but the management was slow about it
Pros
Free lunch and fun managers
Cons
Pay
Good job
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, ILDecember 12, 2018
I loved the job but eventually new management came in and changed how the restaurant ran. Made it less fun and just not enjoyable. It taught me a lot about working and made me want to start working harder. The old managers did a very good job at training the staff and made being there something the employees looked forward to.
Pros
comped lunch/half off hour before or after shift
Cons
hard working good place to work
LINE SERVER (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTDecember 12, 2018
It was a good experience for my first job. It required a lot of memorizing and making mistakes but it was really fun and really constant with the amount of work I got. The managers were great.
Pros
25 percent off of lunch or dinner
Cons
you get payed well
Job that teachers you how to work hard and learn
Cook/Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 4, 2018
A typical day of my day consisted of doing everything on a checklist. After getting caught up on my checklist I then started to do the food preparation. By doing this food preparation I learned how to follow companies specific instructions. I did everything exactly as the book said which taught me how to honors companies need for consistency. They inforced sanitation which I think was great because you're cooking what people eat and if they're paying $12 per meal it should be done with love, you feel?
The workers were amazing I'm not going to lie. I made great friends and I don't ever regret working here even tho it was extremely difficult because of the fast pace. But a job is a job and it's not meant to be easy.
I honestly think that the salary is HORRENDOUS. People that put their blood and sweat and have been working there for years can find themselves making less money than a person that just got there. The company is taking advantage of their workers and is just juicing them until they can't anymore. It's sad because it has so much potential... People would actually stay longer if the company did things differently instead on focusing on the money... they're still going to make it so why not try to treat employees better.
Pros
people, work ethic, teaches you about life, makes you analyze your career, communication skills, absorbing pain, etc.
Cons
almost everything
ALWAYS understaffed and stressfull
Line Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaNovember 29, 2018
Manager changed MANY times, training was never complete, could not take days off, overworked for the amount of pay.Trainers from other locations come and go, everyone had a different method of how to do things.
Pros
Made friends
Cons
Management, breaks, time off
Fun and fast paced work environment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 28, 2018
Friendly management (especially at the Arrowhead, AZ location), super flexible schedule, great environment. Hardest part would be keeping up with the pace, but the staff made it so enjoyable. Opportunities to travel which is amazing
Pros
Travel opportunities
Cons
Short breaks
Work review
dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 28, 2018
Zupas is a terrible place to work. they lack professionalism, honesty, and integrity. the people that work there are underpaid, and treated terribly. Management is horrible, and very rude, mean, and show a lack of intelligence when working with people.
Pros
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cafe Zupas. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight