Cafe Zupas Employee Reviews

Quick paced, fun, enjoyable
LINE SERVER (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTJune 21, 2018
I love cafe zupas. I didn’t know that when a raise was wanted you had to ask for it, I thought they would notice and bring it up so I spent my two years without ever receiving a raise, but I honestly don’t care because of how much I enjoyed it. I wouldn’t recommend it as a career but as a short time job it’s perfect and they are awesome at rehiring if you need to leave for a time.
Pros
Awesome people, 1/2 off food, learn customer service skills
Cons
Not a lot of money, no break unless you have a long shift
Really fun workplace.
Line Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTJune 12, 2018
I honestly loved woriking at cafe zupas. I miss it too. My co-workers were awesome, same with my managers. It was a fast paced job but it is a great job for people who love new challenges.
Pros
discounted lunches.
Cons
Short breaks
This Was a High School Job
LINE SERVER (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTJune 11, 2018
Worked here for about 9 months while finishing up high school. Worked the evening shifts and was paid minimum wage. Was told that I would get a raise after completing training, but that never happened. Did a 180 and said evening line servers only got minimum wage. Didn't work many hours. Fast-paced and stressful, but fun. Great coworkers.
Pros
Discounted lunch
Cons
Evening line servers only get minimum wage, little opportunity to advance
my review
General Manager / Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 11, 2018
Very fast pace environment , i learned alot about being open minded and learning how to produce controlled ciaos , upper management and cooperate are very involved with your development , the reason i left cafe zupas was the base pay the over there employees , it wasn't competitive enough to complete with other high end places like , canes, chick fila , in'n'out, keeping good employees at 8.50 is ideal, also the hours. Besides those things it was an awesome place to work , you meet some of your best friends working here because zupas only hires the best of the best
Unfair pay
Line Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 5, 2018
The only way to get a raise was to work on skooxs or something. It wasn't fair that I never got raises when everyone else did. I worked there for 8 months and never got the 2 raises I was supposed to get.
Pros
1/2 off meals during shift
Cons
Unfriendly co-workers
What it was like.
Line Server (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NV 89014May 27, 2018
Cafe Zupas at first seemed great until they got a new manager. With said manager work was more stressful then needed. The manager also was rude and if she doesn't like a person will make working there horrible.
Pros
Half off of lunch
Cons
Rude, favoritism.
Great first job
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTMay 26, 2018
Good first job. Will definitely teach you how to work hard. Often high stress and often very busy. Turnover is high. Some management was better than others. Good opportunity for some advancement if you work hard. Do not recommend if you dont like hard labor. Requries a lot of running around in a hot environment
Pros
half off food on shift days, easy enough
Cons
Busy, stressful
It was nice
Line Server/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bloomingdale, ILMay 22, 2018
i enjoy working at cafe zupas. it is fun and the people are really nice.the previous managers were very rude and the current culinary maniger, terrance was quite strict when he first came to our store. i believe he relocated frin udaho.
Pros
Good people.
fun place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 20, 2018
great place to work if you like being busy. a typical day of work can be very busy but the people there make it fun. the hardest part of the job is probably management at times.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Good environment, stressful during busy hours
LINE SERVER (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMay 18, 2018
Communication is key for every position, you need good communication skills in order to succeed, as well as a positive attitude. It can be stressful during busy shifts.
Pros
Discounts for food during shifts
Cons
Wages

Want to know more about Cafe Zupas?

Ask a question
A fun fast paced place to work
Catering Driver and Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 15, 2018
I personally LOVED working at Zupas. I quit the first time because I moved. When I moved again, there happened to be a Zupas 10 minutes away from my house so I immediately went and applied. The staff is always amazing and treat you like family. I have worked in 5 Zupas across the country (Illinois, Arizona, Utah, and Idaho) and half of them had amazing managers, and the other half had mediocre ones. There is room for growth if you tell your manager you want to move up. I made a good amount of money at this company, about 7K in 4 months which is really good for a kid straight out of high school. Granted I worked overtime but they typically let you have 40-50 hours if you’re over 18. 8 our of 10 I would recommend you go and at least try it out!
Pros
Half off of the food w/ some restrictions. Great environment
Cons
No healthcare. Short breaks if you get one.
Stressful
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 14, 2018
It was very fast paced and stressful. I didn't really like it. Sandwich station was hard cause you had to remember everything as it is told to you ugh
great work environment, high volume lunch hour and fast paced
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2018
Great team work, training provided in all areas and roles switched daily. One on one guest and employee interaction. Fast paced work place always with a sense of urgency. I only quit to gain more work hours and higher pay otherwise I would have stayed. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the "regulars" I like the fact that there is a interpersonal sense of involvement.
Pros
employee discounts and guest interaction.
Cons
low pay low hours
Very Difficult and Stressful
Bus Boy (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMay 2, 2018
I was counting down the says before I could leave since my first day working there. It was exhausting and difficult. They do pay 50 cents higher than minimum wage, though, and they offer lots of hours.
funish
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 30, 2018
its fast paced and somedays stressful. everyone has to be a team player and work together. this job can be fun though just always stay ahead of the game.
fun environment to work in
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTApril 29, 2018
This was a fun place to work. There were many opportunities to advance in the work place and there was always something new to learn. The managers were friendly and staff was easy to get along with.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
short breaks
Great Place To Work
CATERING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDApril 26, 2018
I was actually cross-trained in a lot of different positions (lobby, prep cook, catering driver, line server, catering coordinator), but overall, Cafe Zupas is a fast-paced and busy place to work. The day typically goes by fast which is a plus. I made a lot of friends there and generally, the people are great. Management for the most part was really good. I felt like I was treated with respect. Everyone tries to have fun and joke around which is good, but when it's time to work we work hard.
Pros
50% off food, good people, can move up
Cons
food discounts only when you are working
Very fast-paced
Catering Driver (Former Employee) –  Holladay, UTApril 21, 2018
I loved working for Zupas. I only quit because I was getting married and needed a more predictable schedule. The managers are super fun. You definitely need to be able to learn and memorize quickly to work here.
Fun first job.
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNApril 21, 2018
Zupas was a very nice first job. I was a line server. In order to start on the front line, you need to first learn all of the salads and the order of ingredients. Only when you have memorized this, can you move on. Then, you memorize what toppings go on each of the soups. After that, you learn what each sandwich is and what the order of ingredients is. Then, you train as an order relayer and a casher. After this, you are a proficient line server, and you can help another station when you are on shift for a certain station in order to help line proficiency and customer satisfaction.
Pros
1/2 off food when on shift.
Cons
Short Breaks. Reeked of food and covered with food after every shift.
Has potential, unfortunately very poor upper management
Operating Partner/General Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 20, 2018
Cafe Zupas has potential to be a great restaurant. Unfortunately the Corporate Office and Upper Management is very poor. They are constantly changing policies and procedures and if you are not quick to follow along then you are a failure in their eyes. Ive never work for a company that treated management so poorly. The work environment is very stressful and overwhelming. If you are a high school student or someone looking for a part time job then its an ok company to work for. The turn over rate for management positions within the store is very high. They say they have a great training program, however I learned very quickly it was all talk. The company likes to sugar coat a lot of things. Their training program is far from great. The company has a lot to learn and correct if they plan to be successful.
Pros
Good Food and Shift Discount (50%)
Cons
Poor Upper Management, Very stressful atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cafe Zupas. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight