Calico Corners Employee Reviews

Great fabrics
Teamwork, supportive staff
Flexible schedule
Great manager
All team members worked hard to achieve store goals
Great location
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Low pay
Medium pace
Stock & Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAJuly 10, 2018
Keep special orders and deliveries up to date, assist customers on sales floor when other associates where busy, place special orders on fabric and hardware for custom installation.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
N/a
Calico review
Design Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Avon, CTJune 20, 2018
Calico corners is a company with great potential that unfortunately does not recognize or reward the high level performers (sales) at the company. Therefore they constantly have turn over which derails the sales momentum for the outside sales consultant position each time. Unfortunately a very short sighted company
They do deliver a great product though
one of my worst experiences
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CA 94010May 29, 2018
This was one of the worst job experiences in my entire life. I was hired on as shipping and receiving, was injured on the job and was terminated while under medical restrictions for not being able to do the job I was hired for. They didn't give me the time to recover. Instead of offering for me to work as a cashier or floor rep, while recovering from my injury, I get a letter of termination from corporate.
Cons
fired if you get injured
Unlimited creative freedom
Part-time Employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2018
Able to connect with clients by entering their home and decorating ideas. Management is very helpful and supportive. Great work life balance. Productive teambuilding
Not a nice place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 6, 2018
Had to sell over $5000 a week to get commission. Store manager was nasty and rude to employees and customers. Expectations were extremely high for little pay.
Pros
Good hours, health insurance
Cons
Very low pay for the expectations
Fun Fabric and Projects
DESIGN ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 6, 2018
The worst part was an individual who worked in the back and belittled everyone she encountered. The best part was working with customers on their projects.
fun place to work to design with customers
Design Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 2, 2017
love the opportunity to work with fabrics and design and interact with customers. need to know alot about sewing/construction to be prepared to properly put together quotes for clients
Pros
good work environment; laid back atmosphere
Cons
old outdated electronics and grubby store; needs overhaul. Low pay, no room for upward movement
fun and fast paced
Labor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 26, 2017
Each morning started with separating recons and processing the previous days orders. Sometimes this would take until lunch if the previous day was busy. After lunch I would contact work rooms with any concerns and then contact customers.
Cons
This a great place to work to learn how to sell and make custom product.
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 21, 2017
The typical day was working with clients walking through the door and familiarizing yourself with the product. Follow up with clients was also one the most beneficial ways to create sales.
I learned that standards throughout the company and training are very important.
Management was very organized and methodical.
The culture was corporate, and your sales where monitored closely.
The hardest part was often getting the sale closed, product was expensive but quality.
I loved the organization, consistent new product.
enjoyable job, but not a very good company to work for.
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 20, 2017
Calico was a good place to work if you are okay with low pay, no
benefits and no room for growth.

I tried 3 times for a promotion, to no avail.
Associates had the same complaints when wanting to move up or around in their careers.

The company tends to hire wealthy women who desire to work as a hobby, in fact this tends to be the standard for the decorating industry.
Pros
pleasant job descriptions
Cons
no room for promotions
A normal day
Stock manger (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46250June 15, 2017
Calico Corners pics up speed based off of the season and what's in style the days can be short under a lot of work but pay off in the end, overall the experience is worth while.
Stressful environment
In Home Designer (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MAMay 3, 2017
Depending on who the manage is at the time. It can be a very stressful work environment. They seem to pit there sales employees against each other. When I worked there the manager was a complete nightmare. She ruined employee morale and insulted customer, and with that said the company never did anything to replace her.
Not Recommended
Custom Product Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAApril 10, 2017
They gave between 10 and 20 hrs a week but the work load was for a full time position. I wouldn't take breaks to try to compensate for the the amount of work. No benefits were offered, the manager sometimes called customers "Female Dogs" behind their backs. I was let go weeks after I had been verbally assured that I was doing a good job. It is a dead end company to work for. I know the manager was also frustrated with corporate so it's a trickle down effect and I would not advise anyone to view this as a serious long term career.
Cons
No hours
Fun and inspiring place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 28, 2017
I had a fun time working here. The pay was minimal but it was a job I had to pay college bills during school. I found it entertaining to be around beautiful fabrics all day and helping people realize their dream projects. I also enjoyed the fact to be constantly busy.
Excellent workplace in another realm of Interio Design
Interior Design Lead In-Home Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 27, 2017
I gained an incredible amount of knowledge in all facets of Interior Design: (ie: window coverings, installation, furnishings, etc.). The company was incredibly good to it's employees until it closed locally.
The glory days are behind
Assist in day (Former Employee) –  Kennett Square, PAJanuary 23, 2017
During it's prime im sure the company was great but since the economy has taken a slide, business is not the same. It was pretty much a slave driven job and I wouldn't recommended it to anyone.
hard work pays off
Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LA , Metaire, La.September 23, 2016
I started out as an Operations Manager with Calico Corners.
I did a little bit of everything for my personal growth as well as being a team player for what ever was asked of me. I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do in times of success and crisis. These experiences , good and bad, was vital to my growth professionally and personally.
Has ability to succeed due to lack of competition for custom treatments.
labor coordinator (Former Employee) –  Barrington, ILJuly 13, 2016
Company hires personnel with no knowledge of industry, particularly store managers. HR and corporate powers that be also do not listen to employees about issues within the stores. They do not care at all about what goes on in stores and only cares about not having to make changes as that will be too much work. Sales are all that matters and profit is basically not looked at. Training is not even an issue with employees except with store managers and then everything is overlooked particularly when after 1 and 2 years they still do not know basics of the industry, not to mention how to follow Calico's guidelines in transactions as well as how to be a good manager. When and if a promotion comes, store managers are allowed to promote whomever they wish to, in spite of the employee's total lack of ability to perform the job. They do not care how many great people they lose due to these inept managers.
When told what untruths managers have told employees that caused them to leave, they will do nothing to change how managers treat people. It is pathetic. If an employee or manager cannot learn their job in 1 years time, why would they be thrilled to keep them on staff. Particularly when the store/company sales are completely declining?
Once they realize that the people that have been there and know the company and industry are more valuable than the managers that they put in charge of these people and listen to them and realize that they are the ones that care about Calico, they will be so far ahead of restoring this company to its true potential
Pros
Great potential to be an industry leader
Cons
Terrible communication, total lack of supporting the store employees as far as listening to their issues.
warehouseman
Assist in day (Former Employee) –  Kennett Square, PAJune 6, 2016
Worst place ever. Not enough pay everyone works a part time job to sustain living and the job does not pay enough. The supervisors and management do not appreciate their staff and over work the crew
Pros
there are none
Cons
alot