California Closets Employee Reviews

Horrible top-down management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 7, 2019
Salaried employees expected to work 60+ hrs, 6 days a week. Plan on being told Thursday you have mandatory OT on Saturday, cancel all your plans. Plan on your machine breaking down continually and you still have to hit quota. Plan on being berated for using your sick or vacation time. More than 1 temp service quit sending people because of it all (that should tell you all you need to know).
Pros
This is for you if you are a druggie, they don't test.
Cons
Only one person's opinion matters. You are not him.
Eh
Installer/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 1, 2019
The work place is very toxic. Management is terrible. The big manger doesnt know much about the actual work we do. Was told I was getting a raise but never happened. Dont see any to advance.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
No advacment
Great Company to Work For
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 1, 2019
I enjoy my time as an employee for California Closets. They truly care about their customers and employees. The work environment is great and I feel well taken care of and appreciated.
I loved working here
WAREHOUSE CREWMAN (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAMarch 18, 2019
The job was tough but satisfying. I really enjoyed the daily puzzle that was organizing materials and loading them. Each day it was something new, new cabinets, boards, and shelves were processed by other members of the team and I would load them up efficiently while maintaining the quality of each item for shipment. It was hard and hot but I was given good breaks and I felt appreciated and needed. Great place to work.
Pros
good breaks, and excellent management
Cons
hot in the warehouse.
Designer (Current Employee) –  Pottstown, PAFebruary 25, 2019
I love working here. Working from home and choosing my own hours allows for a lot of flexibility in my schedule. I can attend things at my kids’ schools and get to a dentist appointment just by adjusting my schedule.

My fellow designers are supportive and although we are essentially competing against each other for top sales for the month, there is nothing but camaraderie. Everyone wants their colleagues to succeed and do well.

Working a commission only job is stressful, no doubt about it. On a slow month it’s rough but I love that there is no limit to what I can make in a year.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great coworkers
Cons
Commission only salary
Productive workplace
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZFebruary 22, 2019
Overall California Closets is a pretty fair job. Two breaks daily but you can’t leave on first break and there is no vending machines. Management is good & schedule was fair but lots of overtime. Would recommend others.
Pros
Occasional paid lunches
Cons
Can’t leave on break. No vending machines
Overall good company
packer (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJanuary 24, 2019
The wage was decent and hours were fairly reasonable. Would be better if more cross training and if had a structure training program. Seemed more self taught than training. Person who showed me job had less than 4mo with the company
Pros
Decent work
Cons
Time off policies were very low and fear of another violent incident was high
Company hand over
Design Consultant/Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2019
This company became a corporate run business and the hand over was so rough and unplanned. The designers were given no guarantees and contracts were chanhed frequently. Commission based jobs are not for me without a salary back up. I also think that having been put under so much pressure was too much for the amount of scrunity.
Pros
Fun team members
Cons
Not enough work
The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 14, 2019
At Califonia Closets, it takes a true team to design, fabricate, and install a closet a customer has always dreamed of. Working as a team is one of the daily benefits working here. Every member contributes valuable information in order to make every job a success.
People are friendly
Customer Liaison (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 29, 2018
I really enjoyed working at California Closets. I liked that I was the only receptionist. I enjoyed most was the clients that became friends. I enjoyed that I had windows that I could look out and enjoy the day while still at work. Associates where a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Enjoyed working with clients first hand
Cons
Working 6 days was not fun
It's okay.
Shop Worker (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 13, 2018
Long hours of work, unprepared when co-workers come in with emergency situations for repairing parts at their work sites, workplace culture wasn't pleasant at all.
Pros
Clean place to work.
Cons
No air conditioner in the shop is why everyone else gets very hot and sweaty.
Calfornia Closets Dallas, TX
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 10, 2018
A typical day at work was looking at weekly schedule of installations that were scheduled. Coordinating with production on ingoing and outgoing materials.
I've learned how the industry of closet design and how creative the many different features look. How the installation side of getting the clients' closets build on time and how the professional the employees I managed were.
Management was very structured. The workplace culture was very positive and outgoing. The hardest part about the job was learning the installation side to it but it was fundamentally awesome in working with my hands and appreciating a high quality finish of the closet.
Last, the most enjoyable part of the job was everything. My job allowed me to be in and out of the office and building a great rapport with the employees.
Pros
Great management opportunity
Cons
Job position was eliminated because of budget constriants
good company
Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 2, 2018
all the equipment was new. the training was also good. It was a safe environment to work in. the Hours I worked as 1st shift and it worked for me. Some overtime it was manageable. I was just the pay I could not get passed. I could not live off the pay I received.
Good place to woork
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VADecember 2, 2018
Good people to work with berry clean place good way to make a living super positive manger people are very positive never not have to worry about eating thwy feed you
Awful management
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Arbutus, MDNovember 29, 2018
Although the workplace seems inviting and the community of employees is comforting, the management is very toxic. Lies upon lies is a trend that will be quickly seen.
Not good place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 28, 2018
Bad managers no growth and they don't care about you just or working you Evey Saturday and poor quality of the product , don't waste your time here ..
it was good
Install Technician (Current Employee) –  Pottstown, PANovember 21, 2018
I really loved working there, unfortunately i got hurt and they hired someone to replace me while i was gone, i would go back if they offered me another chance to prove to them that im healthy now and am a reliable employee
Plenty of Hours
Installer/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  James Island, SCNovember 4, 2018
During my employment at California Closets, I worked long hours and got to learn a lot of great problem solving skills. There were so many jobs coming in that a lot of things got lost in translation between the designers and production managers, which my team had to work to correct. At the same time I had broken my back and my vehicle got stolen, but the were extremely understanding during my hard times and worked with me to help each other get things done. Unfortunately, my lack in transportation then became too much for me to continue.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Miscommunication at times
Collaborative but Training is needed
Administrative (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 15, 2018
This company would be great if they really invested in training and management training that works on their core skills. Also corporate company should really spend more time working with the local franchises
Pros
The Brand and the Teams that are working on the ground
Cons
Training, Mgmt
Would not recommend this place to anyone.
Saw Operator/Quality Control/pack (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 28, 2018
Horrible place to work. Long hours, bad management.
They don't care about their employees. I was there for over a year, and despite many promises, I never got a single pay raise.Play too many corporate games. Only advance if you happen to know somebody. I was hired for a position and was bounced around all over the place. They don't recognize or acknowledge hard workers and apparently aren't concerned about putting out a quality product. Also got shorted on my last check. Probably the worst job I ever had. If you're looking for a decent job with good pay and a chance to advance, stay away from California Closets.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, and no chance of advancement