California Closets

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Huge potential not being reached

Lack of communication is among many of the issues the DC metro area location has that is felt both from the customers experience and employees experience on a daily basis. There is great potential for this market but it has a long ways to go to reach it's full potential. Managment has its oversights and issues mismanaging employees, and room for advancement is not as good as it could be.

Great company, great job

Awesome place to work, very rewarding. Great training and support. It does take some time to get going a lot to learn. Since you are commissioned your pay can be docked if you make mistakes.

Pros

creative, flexible and fun

Cons

lots of driving and pay is docked for mistakes

Fun place and people there are chill

I like the job because the hours are fair and the work load isn’t to much. Another plus is that the people who work there are decently fair and funny so not too much complaints

Not as good as it gets..

CC- Philadelphia or the office is in Pottstown (be ready to drive there often). I would say you need to be creative as well as super organized. You need to want to sell sell sell and live and work the hours to get to your goals. This is not a 9-5pm or Monday- Friday type role. This franchise is also family owned, which is not always the best case. Management is from the local Pottstown area and tries hard to do their best, but it's not always organized or in-line with modern ways of working. Most of the designers have design backgrounds, which is what I think makes the best for sales. The design lead was chosen based on knowing the family, they do not have a design degree and only a very small amount of time in sales.

Pros

clients are great! the conference trips are fun, install team is great

Cons

no time off, difficult leaders, work hours are long and you work weekends

Independent work ladened with responsibility

Generally positive experience working for a large corporate company. Upper management seems to provide solid work structure and process flow, but middle management tended to infuse their own additional requirements which made the installers job more difficult with limited support.Lots of freedom and plenty to learn. The group of installers were close and the most reliable sources of help. Many of the issues stemmed from communication breakdowns between management. Schedules were too tight leaving employees to apologize to customers for unmet expectations. Management seemed to operate from the best-case scenario in every aspect from lead times to installs. Like most trades, the professionally designed installations often had to be altered by installers to properly fit the spaces. Good overall job for independent work, problem solving and ever changing work environments.

Pros

Working independently

Cons

Lots of driving and long project-based hours

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Seemed great at first but left due to poor management

I went into my interview excited about working for California Closets. The first few weeks of training was so-so, as I had to travel a lot which was not included in the job description. Communication with management was awful. Addressing any concerns I had was impossible, as I did not feel heard. The opportunity to grow was there but it wasn't worth staying there if it meant I could never communicate with my boss. Open communication is key and CC is lacking that.

Pros

Hours & Days off were great, the people who trained me were great too

Cons

Poor communication, Toxic work environment

Very poor management

Very corporate uncaring structure, management puts the burden of everything on you. I'm obviously still sour from working there, but it really is a place that has very poor management, they will avoid your calls or text messages if you ever really need them, but when you don't really need them, they are there, no problem. There are upsides to the job, like managing the speed and the way you work throughout the day, but the problems you will have throughout the day and having no one else to take responsibility or help with those problems, and then having to try and do everyone else's job for them so you can complete projects is a huge drawback. Then all of that uncaring from the management basically falls back on you because you are who the client comes to, to fix all the problems. Basically the whole structure of the company will all fall back on you when stuff goes wrong and it's a very poor structure.

Pros

Mostly manage yourself and how you work through the day

Cons

Poor management, not sufficient compensation

RUN don't walk

If you like to be treated like garbage, over worked and unable to take vacation, then this is the place for you!! This place has the highest turnover I've ever seen. Management has favorites and make it very clear. If you aren't in the "click" they make you feel like an outsider, provide zero communication to the point it's so uncomfortable to be there, they hope you quit. Save yourself the anxiety and keep scrolling when looking for a job.

Pros

Flexible time to come in

Cons

A great place to work and have a career instead of just a job.

California Closets of Suffolk County won Franchise Location of the Year in 2017. It is a great place to work. A corporate technology stack and the personal touch of a family business. The leadership really does put effort into helping us succeed. There is always plenty of work. Sometimes TOO MUCH. But I do see our location working hard to recruit and right-size the business. This company keeps its promises to its clients both internal and external. They promote from within. I have been here for 11 years now. I have seen people achieve their dreams while working here and also get help to achieve their next steps while leaving. This is a place to work if you want a career and not just a job.

Pros

All the support is there that we need to succeed and a boss that keeps all her promises.

Cons

Tough clients, we deal with the 1% often.

Decent people that I will miss

Just left the company this year. If you aim for a career in design,sales or program there could be a path for you. But if you are a warehouse associate you will be worked to your limits if you are useful. Pay and opportunity don’t exist really. Dead end job. No ventilation breathing in harmful dust all day in extreme temperatures.

Pros

People

Cons

Pay, conditions

Jobs at California Closets

See more jobs

Not Practical - No Base Salary

It takes a year to get going with this job and get paid when there are 3 months of training and 3 months lead-times. It takes 5-6 months to start getting commission and some income. Feels like an internship. You can learn a lot if you want want to be a California Closets Outside Sales rep for at least 2-5 years you may make up for the lake of money in the first year.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

healthcare, poor income in the first year

Excellent for the outside sales people and senior management but hard to be in the middle.

The in-home sales role is great if you are self-motivated with really good time management skills. You have to have a certain number of client consultations per week and there is a minimum requirement for evening and Saturday appointments. You get a higher commission on self-generated, repeat and referral business but it will take at least six months or up to a year to really start earning a decent living, so you need an income-earning partner or a whole lot of savings to take on this position. Very top-heavy corporate structure, with I believe a very generous compensation structure. Could never quite figure out what half of them actually did, even though I was one office away from “management row.”Terrific marketing team however, making a “silk purse out of a sow’s ear.” If designed well and installed properly the product can look terrific, but it’s still just laminate over particle board, not much different than IKEA.

Pros

Great marketing team, so the company is well-known with a strong image

Cons

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians

Productive and fun open workplace

Loved it there it really changed my life. I started at bottom and went straight up lots of room for moving up great owners and very busy company to work for. I would recommend them 100%

Creative work environment

Overall a favorable experience. Fellow design consultants were fun to work with and supportive. Franchise owner could be difficult. Excellent products and designs.

Pros

Pre set leads

Cons

Slow project turn around

A place to work

Play favorites. Non-communivative managers. Constant last minute work thrown at you. Rewards employees that do not deserve it and hold down hard working employees that prefer to let their work do the talking. The people are great and friendly hard workers that get taken advantage of in my opinion. Overall decent but not if you want to advance.

Pros

Benefits, long breaks

Cons

Management, communication, orginization.

Good company

You get what you put in. It’s 100% commission and the sky's the limit on what you can earn. I really enjoyed working there and would do it again if I move to another big city.

Pros

Make your own hours

Cons

Driving for hours a day to get to customers homes.

Sales representatives

It's a great place to express and show your creativity and make good money. Helping people achieve their design goals is the company's overall goal.

Toxic Work Environment, Useless Managers

This company treats their employees terribly. The management cannot be trusted and don’t actually manage anything. The work environment is toxic and nothing is kept private between anyone. They also expect you to pick up the slack caused by poor management from the management team. Absolutely DO NOT work here if you want to have any kind of life outside of this job. I regret ever taking this job.

Pros

Regular hours

Cons

Bad employee benefits, bad management, toxic environment

Worth it when you work hard.

Training is paid. The rest is 100 percent commission. Flexible schedule, you get out of it what you put into it. Management is 100% driven by numbers. Many different moving parts within the different departments. Fun to see finished product once everything comes together.

Pros

Flexible schedule, great clients.

Cons

Long periods of waiting to get paid & commission only for designers.

I had a good time i just wish i wasn't late so much

I was one of two who succeeded at every machine. While working there i helped the team beat a warehouse record for manufacturing. One thing i can say os pay attention to what you personally produce.

Ok place to work

Worked here for some time , seems to be getting g better day by day. Schedule is great , staff is great . Management could be bettter.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at California Closets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare California Closets with

• California Closets
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?