California College of the Arts Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Do not work here
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 22, 2018
Great art programs, but a terrible place to work. The teachers are smart and talented, but very egoistical and demanding. The administration leadership does not care or support its inferiors. They are mean, ruthless, and unprofessional. I have nothing good to say about working at CCA.
Working in CCA is great!
Film cage operator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 21, 2017
Working at here CCA was a great experience to me, which strongly improved my editing and photography skills. The manager and colleagues were very friendly here, so I felt really happy to work here every working day!
Busy but fun environment with exposure to cutting edge design thinking and fabrication.
Model Making Studio Manager and Educator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 19, 2017
I found it very rewarding to work closely with the students, to introduce them to prototyping their designs and orienting them to the safety and function of the shop machines.
Works around my schedule
ADJUNCT LECTURER (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 27, 2017
Great place to work for me as it gives me a mental break from my everyday design consulting work. I really enjoy teaching also as the students provide me with much needed creative energy.
Pros
Teaching classes around my schedule.
Cons
Not enough classes
Leadership disengaged.
Director of Public Safety (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 11, 2017
Organization leadership focused on a perception of innovation rather than actual agility. Hires subject matter experts to assess, guide and design progress but then refuses to engage in the results. Complete disconnect between the upper level management and the middle managers and line staff. Low salary scale is blamed for the high turnover but most staff do not consider salary as the driving force for retention.
Pros
Incredibly talented students and staff.
Cons
Leadership disconnect.
Mostly a learning experience
Rapid Prototyping Monitor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 4, 2017
I currently hold a work-study here thus, the compensation is very low due to the small amount of hours I am allowed to work along with the minimum salary provided to students.
Terrible pay, terrible managment; awesome faculty, inspired alumni community
Web Content Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 30, 2017
Overworking, abusive management for far-below-average salary. New management has created a hostile environment based on business goals as opposed to student success.
Pros
inspired faculty and students
Cons
long hours, low pay, abusive management
excellent training
Therapist Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 7, 2017
Excellent population to work with and terrific trainings at the counseling center. Management is proactive and run a tight ship. Open communication culture.
Busy
Nuz Film Cage Crew (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 3, 2015
Busy days, variety of jobs, worked with good students, work study position, learned many skill sets. Fun work place with a supportive network.
Great place for short term
Manager of Media Services (Current Employee) –  San FranciscoMay 12, 2015
People tend to be nice, but the turn over rate is high and the pay is low. If you get the right position, hours can be flexible, and work is low stress. Very little motivation to achieve more than the bare minimum, which works well for lifers, but if you have a good work ethic, can be very frustrating.
Pros
can be flexible
Cons
low pay

Want to know more about California College of the Arts?

Ask a question
Forward thinking and innovative
senior staff (Current Employee) –  San Francisco bay area, CAFebruary 9, 2015
In so many ways an exceptional place to work, compensation needs to catch up for staff. Raises are too small and staffing is not adequate for changes needed.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
pay
Dedicated employees, Poor Management, Compensation Inequities
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 24, 2015
Despite having a new VP of Finance & Admin, the same old processes, compensation methods, and poor morale exist. CCA tends to hire from outside instead of professionally growing their current employees and promoting from within. Promotions occur based on favoritism and not actual work performance. The compensation inequalities that exist between newer employees when compared to employees that have been there for years is staggering. Employee morale is so terrible that departments do not work well with one another. Turnover is very high. If you are looking for a stepping stone to get into the higher education industry, this is an okay place to start but it is definitely not recommended for those who are looking to grow with the organization they support.
Pros
Dedicated Lower Level Employees, Decent Retirement Plan
Cons
Poor Compensation, Very Expensive Benefits (employee share), Bad Management, Archaic Processes & Systems, Old Unsafe Buildings on Campus
Engaging and communicating ESL Students
Student Coach (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CaOctober 13, 2014
My primary position was to communicate with residents to ensure a positive environment. I typical day of work would be spending time getting to know residents, reminding them of important events, paperwork they need to do, and being there in case something happens.The environment was a place where learning was constant, either I was teaching someone about the world or I was being taught. My co-workers were people who were easy to talk to and communicate to about residents.The hardest part of my job was telling myself when enough was enough and making time to focus on myself. The most enjoyable part of my job was becoming more culturally aware and being someone that residents felt they could engage with.
Pros
Working with all International Students
Cons
N/a
Productive, creative, ease
Distinguished Professor (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CaJune 26, 2014
It is a great place to teach, working with artistic students who think outside the box. Very supportive and great, well published and engaged faculty.
they need more officers
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 14, 2014
shift starts at 8:00a.m. students always need help
I learn to smile can't say anything to the students
Management is get better
Some co-worker don't do there job
the hardest is when people don't know the policies
When everyone together and sometime they have
trips
Pros
lunch when it not so busy i try to 30min
Cons
2 15min. breaks
Wonderful population, great learning opportunity
Psychology Pre-Doctoral Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 12, 2014
I loved this placement! I learned a lot from the clients themselves as well as the training program. There is a lot of reading and a lot of clients to juggle— It's an intensive experience.
Moodle Assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 2, 2014
This is a great position to remain connected to CCA post-graduation
Culturally Dynamic & Artistic Environment
STUDIO MANAGER - ANIMATION & MEDIA ARTS (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 5, 2013
It is rewarding to work with talented faculty and staff. I'm given the ability to be both creative and technical while solving problems and taking on projects within educational technology.
diverse, interesting, creative
Associate Director for Instructional Media (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 23, 2013
Design/Art in the Bay Area. A very interesting mix of disciplines and programs converges here. A traditional arts college meeting the 21st century - with all the challenges one might imagine that brings.
Arts
Senior Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee) –  OaklandMarch 15, 2013
Work with students, assist with financial aid, academic planning and overall community involovement.